HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Important: Cbc Boycott. Please Read . . .

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
habs-stars2006

vCash: 500
Important: Cbc Boycott. Please Read . . .

Like everyone else, i was pissed about sat. nite with CBC. I sent them a letter, as plenty of you did, and they did not respond! An idea popped into my head. March 25, sat. night, its habs vs. leafs. You can bet its gonna be on CBC. But why should we watch it on that channel? CBC has insulted Montrealers, and Habs fans nationally. I suggest a form of a boycott. Someone should come up with a strong letter ( in french and english) stating that people should not watch that game on CBC and post it here. Then every member should email it to at least 10 friends, having them pass it on. In addition, every member should send a copy of the letter to any email address associated with CBC. Send letters to radio stations, newspapers. Inform the public of this injustice that CBC has done to us. Watch the game on RDS!!! Anyone going to the game that night should bring signs protesting against CBC. This idea just popped into my head tonite, so i gonna have to brainstorm a little more . If you have any ideas, post them here.
I know people will say im taking the situation too far, but we must stick up for montreal.

SAY NO TO CBC!!!

Old
03-14-2006, 10:53 PM
NBHABSFAN

I am in, although I don't think we need another thread on this.

Old
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Habs13

Yeah alright.. I'm in too

Old
03-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Ill send it to every hockey fan i know, and to Gabriel Morency

Old
03-14-2006, 11:17 PM
tinyzombies

I think the outrage has to be tempered with the knowledge that there are separate contracts and understandings from both the Canadiens and Leafs about coverage. But still, they could have done better than the coverage they offered. They cheated Leafs fans of a great moment if the truth be told. Boomer was popular in Toronto too, despite the rivalry. I just read his autobiography and he said it himself (naturally...lol).

Long live the rivalry.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
How's this for a draft of a letter?

Dear Habs Fans, and Hockey Fans in the Montreal Region,

On Saturday, March 11th, 2006, the world said goodbye to an NHL legend, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion. Geoffrion passed away that morning after a brief battle with cancer, on the very day his number 5 was set to be retired at the Bell Centre. In accordance with Mr. Geoffrion's last wishes, the ceremony took place as planned in what was a touching tribute to a man who gave his all through 16 NHL seasons.

As you all are certainly aware, Saturday nights the CBC network hosts "Hockey Night in Canada." The very name of this programme denotes a show about the hockey world, with particular emphasis on Canada. However, it has become apparent that "Hockey Night in Canada" could be more accurately described as "Hockey Night in Toronto." The shows are slanted heavily towards covering the Toronto Maple Leafs over any of the other eastern Canadian teams (Ottawa or Montreal), and it has been this way for quite some time.

But that fact alone is not the probelm here. CBC can point to ratings, statistics, and a number of other backings to support their focus on Leafs games. They could, that is, until last Saturday night.

On March 11th, the CBC crossed a line. Perhaps it would have been expecting too much of them to cut away from the Leafs game to broadcast the Geoffrion ceremony live, but the fact of the matter is, no attention was paid to it whatsoever. Pre-game conversation instead focused on topics like the reduction in ice time of Maple Leaf goon Tie Domi. The Satellite Hot Stove then focused on the trade deadline which had just passed - a worthy topic no doubt (at least one of interest to more than just Leaf fans), but one of little significance compared to Geoffrion's passing.

To make matters worse, following the game that evening, the Leafs getting back into the playoff hunt with a win over the Tampa Bay Lightning was a top story on CBC.ca. Geoffrion's passing and number-retiring ceremony, on the other hand, was relegated to sports section news.

It's not as though it is out of CBC's reach to cover such ceremonies, as only one week earlier, they covered in full the Leafs' tribute to Tie Domi's 1000th game. This neglect and slap-in-the-face to the history of the game's most storied franchise, and both its present and past followers, can not go ignored. The CBC must be shown that "Hockey Night in Canada" can not be a show devoted solely to the Toronto Maple Leafs - a team widely hated outside the Toronto region.

On Saturday, March 25th, the Montreal Canadiens play the Toronto Maple Leafs in a game which will be broadcast on the CBC. It is asked that all Habs fans - and anyone at all with respect for the history of the game we love so much - boycott this broadcast. As this letter is directed to those living in the Montreal region primarily, feel free to use alternatives like watching the game on RDS, or listening to it on CJAD radio. But since the CBC likes to defend its focusing on Toronto with ratings statistics and numbers, let's hit it where it hurts the most by switching the channel.

If, in addition, you would like to contact the CBC to voice your displeasure, you can contact the communications department at cbcinput@cbc.ca or 1-866-306-INFO (4636). If you're not satisfied with the results, you can contact the office of the Ombudsman at ombudsman@cbc.ca.

Let's unite to send a strong message once and for all.

Sincerely,

Devoted Hockey Fans

Old
03-14-2006, 11:31 PM
DerekT

I'll do it too!

But its not like I'll be changing much.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
goalchenyuk

and than they are going to answer your complain by saying '' look at the little fans that look the game , when the game is at Montreal . No ?

Old
03-14-2006, 11:34 PM
habs-stars2006

SAKUUU!! that is a great letter!! i love it. Im goin to start by emailing it to my friends and all media outlets.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:37 PM
habs-stars2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
and than they are going to answer your complain by saying '' look at the little fans that look the game , when the game is at Montreal . No ?
the point is to bring attention to our problem. CBC ignores our letters. I hope that they will at least pay attention now. Realistically, the chances of a boycott having any effect is slight, but we must do our part. How can we live with ourselves if only a couple of days ago we were angry at CBC yet next week we watch it?

Old
03-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Habsruleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
CBC is public tv. It's purpose isn't supposed to be ratings-oriented, at least not entirely. Besides, I don't think a Habs-Rangers game with a number retirement before the game would fare so bad ratings-wise.

Old
03-14-2006, 11:42 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006
the point is to bring attention to our problem. CBC ignores our letters. I hope that they will at least pay attention now. Realistically, the chances of a boycott having any effect is slight, but we must do our part. How can we live with ourselves if only a couple of days ago we were angry at CBC yet next week we watch it?
Good point . you are right .

Old
03-14-2006, 11:43 PM
tinyzombies

I'm not sure, but I think Boivin is the guy you should write the letter to. The Canadiens have agreed to the coverage in Canada. The profits are divided up anyway. I don't believe the CBC is acting improperly. I think it's a communications problem stemming from Boivin not telling us about the contracts. The CBC used to split coverage, but the new contract isn't like that. The Canadiens are RDS only. Protesting to the CBC doesn't make sense if that is true.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:10 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
I'm in til the playoffs and they show games that I want to see.

Or if they're showing Air Farce, or something.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:15 AM
growne

Wow, crazy over-reaction. Habs-Leafs is the only reason I watch CBC, no way I skip it cause they didn't televise a retirement ceremony.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:17 AM
boredmale

It probably would be better not to watch any Leaf games on CBC, unless it involves your team. If the ratings for Leafs vs whoever go down alot then CBC might take notice.

Old
03-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
A boycott is useless. I'm watching on CBC, I really don't care how little CBC covers the Habs - I'd rather see RDS in terms of coverage. But when the Habs actual game is on CBC, I'd rather watch it in English and hear the high quality sound. Not to mention it's in HD.

Waste of time, but best of luck with your endeavours. Let me know when something's done about it.

Old
03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Mizral

Although I usually love the CBC, the original posters beef is legitimate. HNIC has a responsibility, like every other show on CBC, to either be obviously biased (such as a show like Au Courrant on Newsworld), or not biased at all. It's the responsibility of the CBC, and they should know that.

They ought to have shown the Geffrion bit, or at least parts of it (I understan dit was rather long), particularly only shortly after they show a much less important ceremony (the Domi one) weeks earlier.

Old
03-15-2006, 06:40 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
the game is in hd... so ill watch it on cbc anyway... and after all who cares that they didnt show the retirement ceremony

Old
03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Alpine

I too would like to see more HABS games on HNIC. But most if not all HABS home games are simu-cast on RDS and Radio-Canada on Saturday nights. I'm not much of traveller and I know RDS may not be available nationaly but isn't Radio-Canada available across the country?
Hasn't that always been the excuse about English broadcasts of the HABS. Because they are on Radio-Canada. Alot of times I like having different games on so I can drive the family nuts watching two games at once.

Old
03-15-2006, 07:09 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Boycott? They're already not showing our games. Why would I be there otherwise?

Old
03-15-2006, 07:46 AM
habs-stars2006

well, i've sent the letter to friends and i emailed it to every guy at TEAM 990. lol . Even the guys that don't agree with this boycott, go ahead and watch CBC, but can u also pass the letter to friends?

Old
03-15-2006, 08:03 AM
e-e

i'll watch RDS!

Old
03-15-2006, 11:19 AM
youngster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growne
Wow, crazy over-reaction. Habs-Leafs is the only reason I watch CBC, no way I skip it cause they didn't televise a retirement ceremony.

I don't necessarily think it's an over-reaction, but more of the straw that broke the camels back. If you look at the coverage in the east and how it single handedly supports the Leafs as opposed to the west where the 3 teams have greater equal coverage, people but can't help be uspset. It's gone on too long and needs to change.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
AH

mmmm ok ?

I am in, but it will go nowhere. I guess the CBC anticipated the outrage and gave us a token Pittsburgh game this weekend.

Honestly, it won't do anything.

Closed Thread