HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Payroll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 02:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Our Payroll

According to this: http://canoe.ca/Slam031024/nhl_det-cp.html

Our payroll is at $30.8 million.

Ticket price increases, Heritage game windfall, CDN$ increase, High home attendance and around 15,000 season ticket holders.

That payroll should be at least 5 million dollars higher.

This does not please me :mad:

If the player budget was going to DECREASE, ticket prices should not have gone up.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:01 PM
OYLer

Here is the source article
Bucks and Pucks
By Mark Brender, Senior Writer
</B>
October 20, 2003</B>
http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/deta...t=954869803932

Old
10-24-2003, 03:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Ticket price increases, Heritage game windfall, CDN$ increase, High home attendance and around 15,000 season ticket holders.

If the player budget was going to DECREASE, ticket prices should not have gone up.
Remember that we haven't signed Comrie or paid the replacement(s) for Comrie as of yet.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:36 PM
MrMackey

According to NHLPA,

Salo $3,900,000.00
Smyth, $3,450,000.00
Brewer $2,500,000.00
Smith $2,300,000.00
York $2,000,000.00
Dvorak $2,000,000.00
Isbister $1,925,000.00
Moreau $1,500,000.00
Laraque $1,275,000.00
Hemsky $1,130,000.00
Staios $1,100,000.00
Cross $1,050,000.00
Conklin $860,000.00
Reasoner $850,000.00
Torres $800,000.00
Horcoff $800,000.00
Semenov $700,000.00
Stoll $625,000.00
Pisani $600,000.00
Ferguson $550,000.00
Chimera $500,000.00
Bergeron $410,000.00

Total ------ $30,830,000

So this does not factor in Comrie's salary, anyone's bonuses (namely Smyth's) or wiggle room for player transactions. I bet by January the total will be more like $34-35M + bonuses.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:37 PM
VayaConDios

Well then if we have this extra money, why don't we sign Comrie!

Old
10-24-2003, 03:42 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieDude
Well then if we have this extra money, why don't we sign Comrie!
Why doesn't Comrie sign with us?

Old
10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
OYLer

Yep one of those which came 1st 'the chicken' or the 'egg' scenarios.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
future consideration

Do you think that we could go get Straka since we're a couple million under budget?

Old
10-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
Do you think that we could go get Straka since we're a couple million under budget?
Straka still have ~$8 million left on his contract, 2-years left. This would make him the highest paid Oiler. I dunno, while I love his skill level & his work ethic is second to none, he is again, very small, and while Pittsburgh fans love to sugar-coat it, he IS very injury prone.

I would rather try to pick up Mike Ricci who seriously may be traded this year. Apperantly Doug Wilson (new GM of San Jose) wants to do a wholesale rebuild, and no doubt he will trade off some veterans this season (Rathje is as good as gone, for example). Ricci would be *****THE***** prototypical Oiler. Let's face it, this guy is exactly what this town loves to cheer for. While he's a UFA after this season, there would be ZERO doubt in my mind Ricci would resign in a place like Edmonton.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Brynster

Hey guys...

With the CBA mayhem on the horizon... why would you look to increase your player payroll beyond the 30 million this year?

I'd be absolutely STUNNED if the Oilers didn't hold on tight (budget wise) until AFTER a new agreement is in place. It would be very difficult to claim "we're poor" to the other owners if you go too crazy with your player budget this year.

If you suspected that you were going to lose your job next September, would you ring up your VISA bill even higher?? Uh-no. You'd look to keep your head above water and maybe even start cutting some costs. If things work out well, THEN it's time to re-evaluate where you are financially. Make sense?

Cheers,
Bryn

Old
10-24-2003, 09:15 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

There's this magical thing called winning in the playoffs that makes a bunch of money, and you'd still be able to claim that you cannot keep players or compete financially, it's not like the difference btwn $30mil and $35mil is going to change the entire financial outlook in terms of CBA, we could actually win and MAKE MORE MONEY...wouldn't that just be a crime

Old
10-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Brynster

Just be warned...
if there's any financial up-swing here in the NHL poorhouse, the NHLPA will use anything like that to solidify their case next year. Why load the gun for them??

Old
10-25-2003, 09:23 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Just be warned...
if there's any financial up-swing here in the NHL poorhouse, the NHLPA will use anything like that to solidify their case next year. Why load the gun for them??

Are you suggesting that we miss the playoffs in order to remain poor in an effort to help the already rich?

Old
10-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Just be warned...

I guess the key here is "if". Nobody knows what going to happen with the CBA next year. I have confidence that things will change and teams like the Oilers can compete at an elite level.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:56 AM
speeds

Quote:

what's wrong with the owners turning a 4 or 5 mil profit this year? I'd rather see the team make some money this year, gives them flexibility heading into a lockout where they still have some overhead, with no revenue, PLUS the ability to pay off debt/deficits from previous years.

Besides which, who can you get for 4-5 mil that would help you out? And do they help you out enough to make it worth it? Is this team suddenly going to become a Cup contender?

Comrie you could sign for one, of course, we can reasonably guess EDM has the money to sign him, they probably just don't want to create a poor salary structure.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:02 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
what's wrong with the owners turning a 4 or 5 mil profit this year? I'd rather see the team make some money this year, gives them flexibility heading into a lockout where they still have some overhead, with no revenue, PLUS the ability to pay off debt/deficits from previous years.

Besides which, who can you get for 4-5 mil that would help you out? And do they help you out enough to make it worth it? Is this team suddenly going to become a Cup contender?

Comrie you could sign for one, of course, we can reasonably guess EDM has the money to sign him, they probably just don't want to create a poor salary structure.
It wouldn't make us a cup contender, but I'd be a huge fan of signing Yuskeivich to a one year deal.

Old
10-25-2003, 10:18 AM
OYLer

Firstly, I'd like to thank MrMackey for doing the grunt work and providing the numbers. Chimera $500,000.00 is a bit of an eye-opener when compared to Isbister $1,925,000.00. Say what you will folks but Ferguson $550,000.00 compared to Brewer $2,500,000.00 currently befuddles fiscal sensibilities. Understandably Chimera being an almost rookie should be paid less. But Itzy Bitsy is paid to do more. Brewtal, this new Moniker could metamorph into a positive , if he returns to hardnosed physical play and initiates, in your face physical offensive rushes, at this moments is not 3 and a 1/2 times the player Ferggy is.

The notions that the Oilers need to keep their budget below last years is a self-defeating argument. Better to trade Comrie for good value, pay a new $3,000,000.00 USD player to help the Oilers go deep into the playoffs - thus proving that when money is spent teams have a better chance of winning. Am I missing something here or is spending less then half as much (34 million U$D) just to compete out of line? Consider that the Detroit Red Wings, are spending $77.8 and Dallas is shelling out $67.6 million U$.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Brynster

This year is no like other... we're talking possible franchise future here. Who cares about the playoffs this year? I'd rather they play it smart financially this season if it means a longer term future for the club. The club can not give the NHLPA or the richy rich owners any reason to believe that everything is OK up here in Canada... it isn't. If the Oil beef up their budget, those owners won't seriously even consider our long range future.

For clarification... This CBA fight will be with the players AND with some of the "could-care-less" US based owners. If BIG teams get what they want, without worrying about us up here, we're done. I just don't want to hear in two years the same words the Eskimos just uttered this past week... "inevitable". THIS is the wake up year not next year... our actions will speak volumes.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:46 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
This year is no like other... we're talking possible franchise future here. Who cares about the playoffs this year? I'd rather they play it smart financially this season if it means a longer term future for the club. The club can not give the NHLPA or the richy rich owners any reason to believe that everything is OK up here in Canada... it isn't. If the Oil beef up their budget, those owners won't seriously even consider our long range future.

For clarification... This CBA fight will be with the players AND with some of the "could-care-less" US based owners. If BIG teams get what they want, without worrying about us up here, we're done. I just don't want to hear in two years the same words the Eskimos just uttered this past week... "inevitable". THIS is the wake up year not next year... our actions will speak volumes.
Agreed. It's the "could-care-less" US based owners" that scare the **** out of me.
imho - We have to hold the line, at all costs.

Old
10-25-2003, 02:28 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

You gotta be kidding me......

No wonder the organization doesn't feel any pressure to put a better product on the ice

The Oilers would not be raising their budget any more than in recent years if they had gone to about $36 million dollars like it was projected. And I guess we're just toasted anyway because all the other Canadian teams have higher payrolls so they will get no sympathy.......PUH-LEASE!

Old
10-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
You gotta be kidding me......

No wonder the organization doesn't feel any pressure to put a better product on the ice

The Oilers would not be raising their budget any more than in recent years if they had gone to about $36 million dollars like it was projected. And I guess we're just toasted anyway because all the other Canadian teams have higher payrolls so they will get no sympathy.......PUH-LEASE!
Ask Mike Comrie why the payroll is down. Plus the actual payroll won't be the same at the end of the season as now. You have to take into consideration the bonuses of the players.

10-25-2003, 03:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Ask Mike Comrie why the payroll is down. Plus the actual payroll won't be the same at the end of the season as now. You have to take into consideration the bonuses of the players.
And that is figured into the budget every year with the playoff revenue and so on. With all those vaunted bonuses we still only lost $200k last year, which was mentioned in another post. I'm sure hoping the payroll won't be the same, because there are still people to sign including our buddy Mike.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:08 PM
future consideration

And If we keep the payroll 5 mil under projected budget and the owners make 5 mil in profit, is that a good bullet to "load thier gun"? That the small town Edm Oilers made 5 mil in profit last year? Wouldn't that send the message that anyone can make money and everything is fine?

Look I'm fine with the owners making some profit (God knows they lost enough), but if you increase ticket prices you better throw a little back into the team if you can. Maybe not 5 mil, but at least 3 mil.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:33 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Agreed. It's the "could-care-less" US based owners" that scare the **** out of me.
imho - We have to hold the line, at all costs.
I hate to have to disagree with you but the price of admission for Oilers' Ownership Group is the competitive reality of icing a hockey team that has at least a chance to win on any given night. If a new CBA has a hard salary cap of 35 million U$D then why not spend that now and ice a hockey product that excites the Oilers fans? Plus making the playoffs and going deep is a real revenue generator.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Brynster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
I hate to have to disagree with you but the price of admission for Oilers' Ownership Group is the competitive reality of icing a hockey team that has at least a chance to win on any given night. If a new CBA has a hard salary cap of 35 million U$D then why not spend that now and ice a hockey product that excites the Oilers fans? Plus making the playoffs and going deep is a real revenue generator.
If you spend it NOW, they're won't be a LATER.
Those other owners down south will jump all over a team like the Oil that have cried "poor" under this current agreement. Honestly, from someone who's been there... on the inside... they have to be very careful this season. Calgary and Ottawa too. Any extra spending could cost us. You just have to bite the bullet this season and keep your fingers crossed. It would take waaaaaay more than an extra 5 million to make us a playoff threat anyway.

Closed Thread