HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Two Games...Does Garth Snow Get One?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Well ride him to we are elimited..ok but if were not? Everyone is ok with 20-25 straight starts? A little much for my liking but i guess the altenative is not looking to good. I say we waive him (snow) and send doobie up.

Last edited by CosmoKramer: 03-15-2006 at 12:18 PM.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:11 PM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
Frankly it would be nice to see what this kid is made of. It would be a nice test. We should also stop seeing fatigue as some kind of fatal desease...If he gets tired then he can rest.

We should only use Snow if we don't have anyother choice. Why create a situation or a scenario that says we have to use Snow?
I agree. He only faced a few shots yesterday and he's young. We need every point we can get. I say play him while he's stays hot.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
And what is your obsession with fatigue being a some kind of a sissy excuse?

Sure, let's buck the strategy of every coach in the league for the past several decades, because you want Dipietro to prove something. While we're at it, why do pitchers only play part of games in the MLB and they don't even play every game. They should play all game every game, or they are sissies. If Dipietro was a REAL man, he'd play every night and never let a goal in, that he can't just proves he's not a REAL man.

If he gets tired during a game, and then needs rest and if you feel that Snow is a guaranteed loss, then you've now lost two games rather than just the one. Even if Snow loses to the Panthers, that's still better than the two losses, and you get to pick that the guaranteed loss is to a team that is much less important to beat. It also increases the risk of injury to Dipietro, which would kill the season for us as surely as a bullet and could have repercussions on his development.

What am I afraid of? I'm afraid that someone trying to prove something costs us a chance at making the playoffs. Shaw should do the smart thing and if he thinks either Dipietro needs the rest, or that he can get away with starting Snow against the Panthers, then he should definitely do it.
No 1 goalies go 18 to 20 games in a row...DiPi is far from that. Its about time he does it and if there ever is a need for it...its now.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
NYIsles1*

Snow should and really must start one of these games, no game is really less important than another and no game is easy. Snow carried this team to a playoff spot and played well in the playoffs and has been solid this season, no reason he cannot play and help the club win here and he has a win against Atlanta.

This is a team and everyone has to make a contribution, when Snow's time comes he will do likewise.

After sixty games we already know the book on Rick DiPietro at age twenty four, his coach flat-out said it. When he's overworked he makes mistakes, wears down and gets into bad habits so he has to be rested more often then he was earlier. This is the plan and it's one Shaw has to stick to. They lose a game (because of goaltending) and get another two weeks of the play DiPietro's been giving them as the tradeoff it's the right move. They push DiPietro too far and he struggles the season will be over by the time he recovers.

Play some defense in front of Snow, score some goals, keep winning. Snow has a win in Atlanta this year, he should start Thursday.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:23 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
No 1 goalies go 18 to 20 games in a row...DiPi is far from that. Its about time he does it and if there ever is a need for it...its now.
Disagree, this is a twenty four year old goaltender and the only standard for goaltender being overused at that age is Martin Brodeur. This is a team and Garth Snow can play solid games, he put this team on his back for a playoff spot, he can win a few games for them in spot starts now.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
You're right, there are a bunch of goalies every season that finish with 78 games. That's the pace they're playing it they play 18 games in a row before taking one off. How many goalies do that? None. Brodeur's never even done that.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Anybody agree with me about doobie? Id much rather have him backing us up the rest of the way. We have a very youthful team especially with zhitnik going down but the rags seem to have done pretty well riding their rooks all season. I know now they are floundering but thats because they played the entire season and might be wearing down. The new nhl is set up for youth and doobie gervais/rourke and maybe hamilton til asham gets back i think we will be ok.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
You're right, there are a bunch of goalies every season that finish with 78 games. That's the pace they're playing it they play 18 games in a row before taking one off. How many goalies do that? None. Brodeur's never even done that.
what are you talking about...you speak like DiPi has played 18 in a row 2 or 3 times this season already...do it once now. Anybody who thinks Snow is capable is reaching at best. Snow is a complete roll of the dice everytime he goes out there. The team is feeling good right now because DiPi is in net...why pull the plug now?

I can't understand how so many people these days don't care about winning? At some point you have to decide that winning is the most important thing...and at this point for this franchise winning means everything.

Being afraid to play DiPi because he might get tired is a complete joke to say the least.

Old
03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Isles72

I'd have to agree that at this point I'd feel more comfy giving Doobie a start than Garth , but thats not likely going to happen .

I guess if we can somehow beat Atlanta Thursday night it opens the door for Snow to start v.s Fla

Old
03-15-2006, 01:05 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGodard49
Anybody agree with me about doobie?
No.

Do you follow the Sound Tigers or have you just seen the games he was called up?

Dubielewicz has struggled too many nights since he was sent back down, he has a goals against above 3.00 on a winning Sound Tigers team this season, he is not the answer to anything at this time.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Isles72

Thu, Mar 16 at Atlanta 7:00 pm
Fri, Mar 17 at Florida 7:30 pm
Sun, Mar 19 at Tampa Bay 5:00 pm
Tue, Mar 21 Montreal 7:00 pm
Fri, Mar 24 at Pittsburgh 7:30 pm

so , Rick would play
thursday
friday
no game sat
sunday
no game monday
tuesday
no game wed
no game thurs
fri

only one set of back back -then some days off between to rest

Old
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Isles72

Quote:
he's come pretty close

Brodeur 2003-04 New-Jersey Devils NHL 75 gp

and , 73 gp two years in a row previous to that

57 gp so far this year with 19 or so left

anyways , its a moot point really . This team simply needs to take it one game at a time .I think we as fans are finally excited about the possiblity of making the playoffs that we are forgetting the enormous task it would be to close that gap -and if so -maintain it

Old
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Seph

Quote:
what are you talking about...you speak like DiPi has played 18 in a row 2 or 3 times this season already...do it once now. Anybody who thinks Snow is capable is reaching at best. Snow is a complete roll of the dice everytime he goes out there. The team is feeling good right now because DiPi is in net...why pull the plug now?

I can't understand how so many people these days don't care about winning? At some point you have to decide that winning is the most important thing...and at this point for this franchise winning means everything.

Being afraid to play DiPi because he might get tired is a complete joke to say the least.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills. 78 games is how many games a goaltender would play in a season if he played at your ludicrous 18games in a row pace. This is not comparable to the playoffs, where there are almost never back to back games. No goalie in the modern era does that. Even Brodeur who is remarkable for his endurance, has never done that. So I guess there are no real number 1 goalies according to you. If every number 1 goalie is so capable of doing this, how come none of them do? Guess they don't care about winning either.

Plus winning is the whole point of sitting Dipietro. Believe it or not every game counts just as much. If saving two points this week prevents us from getting 4 points next week, then let's see, which is more? Hmmmm. Now, let's try this again, a worse chance at winning a game where the two points mean less, or a better chance at winning two games where the points mean more? Which is better?

Old
03-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72
he's come pretty close

Brodeur 2003-04 New-Jersey Devils NHL 75 gp

and , 73 gp two years in a row previous to that

57 gp so far this year with 19 or so left
It seems close, but assuming the 7 rest games are evenly stretched out, the difference in pace is resting after playing 11-12 games, rather than after playing 18. Which is a pretty big difference.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:16 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
No.

Do you follow the Sound Tigers or have you just seen the games he was called up?

Dubielewicz has struggled too many nights since he was sent back down, he has a goals against above 3.00 on a winning Sound Tigers team this season, he is not the answer to anything at this time.
Ok so there goes that idea. I guess snow can play maybe a pittsburgh game and maybe the rags since they are sliding.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Eman Resu

Quote:
DiPietro has played 50 games this year in his first year as the number 1. He'll prob end the season with 62-65 games played. Brodeur probably averages 70 games a year. Another workhorse goalie, Marty Turco, probably averages in the 60s. So this whole DiPietro gets tired too much and isn't a true number 1/man because he needs to rest is without any basis in reality and should be put to rest already.

As for Snow, his save percentage is .893 for the season... DiPietro's is .897. So if we've learned that DP plays better when well rested we'd be nuts NOT to give him rest when our backup is clearly, statistically capable of doing the job. If the team is playing well in front of Snow, he gives them a chance to win. I liked Dubie when he was up, but barring any complete disaster by Snow I don't think he should be called up.

Anyway, we'll see what happens later this week and we can all disagree more then. I have a feeling that if the Islanders win, we'll probably forget about our differences and focus on beating Tampa's face in on Sunday.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
It seems close, but assuming the 7 rest games are evenly stretched out, the difference in pace is resting after playing 11-12 games, rather than after playing 18. Which is a pretty big difference.
Remember he was hurt for a week or 2 so he probably lost 4 or 5 starts as well.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Oh , I agree .Not trying to dispute anything . I headed over to hockey db to see how many gp's Marty actually has played and was slightly surprised that he really does play 73-75 per year - thats alot of wood chips in the butt for his back up sitting on the bench

Old
03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Oh , I agree .Not trying to dispute anything . I headed over to hockey db to see how many gp's Marty actually has played and was slightly surprised that he really does play 73-75 per year - thats alot of wood chips in the butt for his back up sitting on the bench
On another note dont forgot he was allways facing a very low shot total and as seen by last nights play its a different era. I dont he will be starting 70 games the next few seasons.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Eman Resu

Since 1993, Brodeur is averaging 67 games per year.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Seph

Quote:
Seriously, the guy has the constitution of a horse. It's unbelievable how many starts he can make in a year. Some peope thing this detracts from things like his 10 straight 30win seasons, or assuming he wins 4 more games this year, his 9 straight 35 win seasons (technically, 9straight 37win seasons if he hits 37 this year). But IMO, that's part of what makes him great, as it's a rare ability.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
NYIsles1*

Let's get back to Garth Snow or at least the Islander goaltending question on whether he starts a game. (we do have a thread/forum for DiPietro also) Brodeur will not be playing in net for the Islanders.

Old
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills. 78 games is how many games a goaltender would play in a season if he played at your ludicrous 18games in a row pace. This is not comparable to the playoffs, where there are almost never back to back games. No goalie in the modern era does that. Even Brodeur who is remarkable for his endurance, has never done that. So I guess there are no real number 1 goalies according to you. If every number 1 goalie is so capable of doing this, how come none of them do? Guess they don't care about winning either.

Plus winning is the whole point of sitting Dipietro. Believe it or not every game counts just as much. If saving two points this week prevents us from getting 4 points next week, then let's see, which is more? Hmmmm. Now, let's try this again, a worse chance at winning a game where the two points mean less, or a better chance at winning two games where the points mean more? Which is better?
You must work on your comprehension as well....I also can't understand how on earth anyone thinks Snow is still an NHL caliber goaltender? The guy is a complete crapshoot. Anybody watch his last game? The game gave up like 4 goals in 10 shots. Snow lost his last 2 starts...giving up softies left and right.

Then we have an org touting Snow as an outstanding backup. We have Micholetti making all kinds of excuses for Snow after every soft goal he gives up. If Snow makes a routine save Micholetti starts breaking out the replay and praises him like he's spectacular.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-15-2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: The state of the organization and off-toic commentary is going too far....from here on no personal commentary from anyone will be permitted either.
Old
03-15-2006, 01:56 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I'll take one loss from Snow instead of the 5 or 6 losses we'd get from Ricky playing tired. Maybe Ricky will still play sharp and won't look tired? Maybe. But maybe Snow will actually WIN? I'd say there is a greater chance of the ladder happening, and is also less risk(1 loss compared to the 4+ losses). Play Snow against Florida, we don't have the same team we did in Washington. This is a faster, hungrier, and tougher team than before. Snow will have a real good chance to win that game.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Killer Carlson

I'd play Ricky in the ATL game, Snow in the FLA game and then Ricky vs TB. See how that goes and then work from there for next week. I'd be VERY hesitant to start DP in all 3 games and would really doubt Shaw would do that.

Closed Thread