HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Share your hab stories/memories!

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Share your hab stories/memories!

How and when did you first start rooting for the habs? Was it a father/son thing? What are your favorite hab moments of all time? Ever seen a habs stanley cup run? How did you feel about it? It'll be interesting to hear from the old ones (Gros Bill, Mcphee, etc) I'll post mine later!

Old
03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
When I was 5-6? I dont know, my dad always watched them so I would sit with him and watch it, and he would always tell me about the old timers.

my favorite habs moment has definatly got to be June 9th 1993. June 9th happens to be my birthday and on that night Paul DiPietro scored a hat trick leading the habs to a 24th stanley cup. It was only my 8th bday but that day will always stick with me.

umm, I was at the opening game of the molson centre, thats something to remember.

Koivu's return from cancer, that was a special night

03-04 playoffs, game 6 vs Boston, i was at the game with my best friend, zone molson ex, and i dont think i've ever seen the crowd like that, it was simply sick, the atmosphere at the habs games are always good, but that night was just something else. every now and then i re-watch the game, and it still gives me that feeling like WOW.

but ya, definatly 93 cup is my most memorable moment

Old
03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Phousse

As far as I know, I was born a Habs fan. My oldest brother, who is 4 years older was always a big fan of Patrick Roy and I quickly became one. That brought the CH into my heart. However, when the Sharks came along, I was dumbfounded by a new team and I took a liking to them. As I was still very young, the same thing happened with the Ducks. After a few years, however, I got back into my beloved Canadiens and there I have been ever since.

See how fragile a child's mind is? By today, I could've been a Sharks or Ducks fan.. ew.

My favourite Habs players were Kirk Muller, Vincent Damphousse, and Patrick Roy at the time and when Koivu was drafted, he became an instant favourite and still remains as that today. It's weird that pretty much my whole life can be related back to the Montreal Canadiens or even hockey in general.

My first Habs game was on February 9th, 2006 visiting the Buffalo Sabres. We won 3-2 in OT and it was one of the happiest moments in my life. Since then I saw a Leafs/Sens game and it's not nearly exciting when your team isn't playing.

Old
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
habs_24x

The cup runs in 86 and 93 were the best hockey moments of my life.
What i remember most was the game winning goal in overtime game 7 against the Hartford Whalers. Lemieux!!!! ooooooh le beau but!!!! yeehaaawww!!! i swear that moment seemed stronger to me than the actual cup winning game, not sure why...

93 was unreal! all those heartpounding overtimes drove me crazy!

another moment was when Statsny (or was it Hunter) scored in game 7 against us in a playoff game (i dont remember what year tho...). I was so pissed off, i pushed my TV off the table and it flew 4 feet backwards and broke into a hundred pieces. it didnt make me feel better...

Old
03-15-2006, 02:33 PM
AD

I became a Hab Fan in 1989.. that's the year my family immigrated to Montreal (from Beirut).
And my fromative hockey years (6-10 years old, i was a huge Pens and Oilers fan) go figure...
I hated the bruins with a passion because they used to beat us every year it seemed in 90, 91, 92..
I pitied the pitiful Leafs
Things change very little it seems..

In 1993, I remember some amazing moments.
But my favorite, all-time Habs moment, was the 1992 7th game double overtime winner by Russ Courtnall (the gazelle) against Frank Pietrangello and the Hartford Whalers.
Courtnall was one of my faves as a kid, but he was injured for most of the season and had done diddly squat that post-season, but he deflected a J.J. Daigneault point shot (IIRC) that beat Pietrangelo who was playing an amazing game up to that point..

Guys correct my story if I'm mistaken anywhere

Old
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
BLONG7

Father/Son thing for me...my first recollection is when Ken Dryden came to be in 70 or 71 not sure, but I was 8-9yrs old and man I took it from there...the 70's as a Habs fan was absolutely

Old
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
habs-stars2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96
When I was 5-6? I dont know, my dad always watched them so I would sit with him and watch it, and he would always tell me about the old timers.

my favorite habs moment has definatly got to be June 9th 1993. June 9th happens to be my birthday and on that night Paul DiPietro scored a hat trick leading the habs to a 24th stanley cup. It was only my 8th bday but that day will always stick with me.
Hey Jaydee96, thats kewl, its my bday also that day. i was 7 (one year younger than u) and i wasnt too much into the habs then. I didnt know they won the cup on my bday. lol.
I guess i started following the habs closely a cple of years after that.

Old
03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
mcphee

I think the best memories of being a fan of any team have to revolve around the people you share them with. I've spoken before about how this has always been a bond between my father and I, and believe me, ther have been many times when it wasn't easy to find a bond. Families are dysfunctional by nature, that damn Norman Rockwell, and oddly being a fan of the same team seems to help. I remember as a kid waiting for my kid brother to nod off, so I could get back up for the 3rd period. To this day, he probably doesn't know our scam. Maybe I'll call him to make fun of him.

I rememeber the 1971 Stanley Cup run, my favorite Cup. My friend and I were working at Jarry Park making popcorn for baseball fans and were hustling back and forth not to miss any games. I even carried a portable black and white on the subway to play it for the guys in the 3rd baseline commisary. I rememebr living game to game like it was life or death. My buddy still has a scrapbook of the game stories that year.

It's funny, I just missed out on the Richard/Geoffrion/Moore era, though I was lucky enough to see Beliveau. The players from the 50's team interest me the most when I hear them interviewed. Maybe it's because they were the players of the stories I grew up on but didn't see live.

Old
03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Me too it's with my father I watched my first games... I was like 6-7 years old and I still like hockey a lot. It's always gonne be this way loll

Old
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
LesHabsRock

1989 Finals vs Calgary Game 3. Habs pull the goaile in the final minute to tie the game. Series is tied 1-1. Matts Naslund ties it and sends it to OT. Ryan Walter scores in OT to win it and go ahead 2-1 in the series. Although the Habs lost the next 3 games, it was a great game I'll never forget.

Old
03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Ryder_fan

For me it was when i was about 5 years old in 1982 when i started watching a certain player with no helmet who flew around the ice and scored a bunch of goals. My dad was sleeping on the couch and i continued on watching the games and haven't stopped since.

1986 was awesome when an unknown rookie came in the league and started tearing it up. when Roy stopped the Rangers cold.

in 1993 with those amazing overtime wins with big John's goals and the 3-goal game from Eric Desjardins

Old
03-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I would say '78-79 is the first season I really remember being a Habs fan. Well, I had worshipped hockey cards, pins, posters, etc, from a couple of seasons before that in the dynasty (although definitely not as early as the '75-76 win)... and I do feel like I remember something of the players from those other seasons, but how much of that is filling in the blanks after the fact and how much is real memory, I don't know. But '78-79 is the first season I can clearly remember sitting down and watching the games, especially the Boston and New York series, of course.

From then, I was die-hard. And at first, it was a lot of dying, Minnesota getting us after Boutette(?) did in Lafleur, and Lapointe and Savard out, Dryden and Lemaire and Bowman gone, that was bad enough but seemed a bit explicable, then smoked by Edmonton, Quebec in OT, at least we were still near the tops in the regular seasons, but by Buffalo in '83 it was clear the "dynasty" was dead and not coming back, which was hard to swallow as a kid who basically picked the Habs as his team because they were supposed to be the best! Penney turned the disastrous '84 around, then more disaster against the Nords, and THEN!...

'85-86 I think will always be my defining year as a Habs fan. If '93 couldn't top it, with all those OTs and the adrenaline there, then I don't really think anything that is yet to come will either. Lemieux in OT against HFD was the real defining moment of it all. If I get real tense, the middle toe on my right foot dislocates, which is sort of painful, and I was already in full dislocation and writhing in pain in that OT before Lemieux scored, so it made for a somewhat comical victory celebration/ceiling smacking/limping/screaming moment. The rest of those playoffs were a bit anti-climatic, although I still think of Roy's OT against the Rangers as the best goaltending I have ever seen anytime, anywhere.

Anyway, it's pretty hard to top a team like that '86 one, when you've got a Carbo/Gainey/Nilan group with ~20 goals each, you've got Naslund in the NHL top-10, Smith and Dahlin with 30+ goals, and STILL have Walter, Tremblay, Richer, Deblois, and McPhee also around 15-20 goals... that's the thing about that team, you could rely on EVERYBODY, right through the "4th line" with Skrudland, and Lemieux coming in for the playoffs with Kordic, it all just kept humming along with a team that was sooooo easy to identify with and like.

Maybe that's the best thing of all about the '86 team... no venom... I mean, I didn't much care for Bobby Smith or Petr Svoboda, I guess, but still, there was no venom there, it was just a team that I loved top to bottom, really, which tends to be a change from the more recent teams, where I always have some serious dog-house players, or even '93 when I really disliked Damphousse, Bellows, Leeman, Brisebois, and was turning on Roy... it wasn't quite the same happy-love-everybody-hooray-team atmosphere as '86. Close, but '86 is still the best.

Old
03-16-2006, 01:14 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quite a while

Been a Habs fan since '66

Never really Had an opportunity to see many Habs games in Montreal until within the last ten years. Actually my first home game was during the last year at the Forum. Saw St Louis against the Habs. Ended up 3 to 3. Still have the ticket stubs which were decorated with Hab greats. That game had the Boomer on the tix.

I live in SW Ontario so I saw a lot of Montreal games locally at Detroit (Olympia and the Joe), Buffalo (the Aud and HSBC), one in Hamilton when they were doing those weird neutral site games (against the Isles I think). And of course the Toronto venues. I actually saw games in the last year of the Aud, the Gardens, the Forum, the Chicago Stadium and the Olympia. And first year games at the new venues.

The most memorable (good and bad) games happened at the Olympia:

I believe it was 1978 and it was the last game of the year. Steve Shutt had scored 60 the previous year and was trying to get his 50th. The team spent a good part of the game trying to set up Shutt and ended up getting shut out 4 to 0. What made it doubly bad was I bought an "obstructed view" seat, figuring "how obstructed can it be"? Turned out that obstructed = a seat at centre ice under the upper deck directly behind a square concrete support column that was about 1 meter wide. You could see nothing of the neutral zone. It made me appreciate just how much happens at mid ice.

The "good" happened the last year that the wings played in the Olympia before moving to the Joe. I had great seats right at the face off circle in the home end. Montreal was down 2 to 1 late in the 3rd. Lafleur came screaming down the right wing, hair flying in the air as usual, and right in front of us let loose one of those great shots. With his footspeed and the power in the shot the combined effect was amazing. His contact on the shot and the bulge of the twine were almost simultaneous. A lot like the goal scored on Gilles Gilbert to scorch the bruins. I have never seen a goal like it in person since, and that was almost 30 years ago with a lot of games in between. It made the tie 2 to 2 score worth it.

Strangest thing I saw: Roy pulling himself out of a game at the Buffalo Aud mid second period, only to return minutes later. My companion (new to hockey) asked why he left. "Did he have to go to the bathroom"? I laughed him off, only to find out later that: tada, Roy had to hit the can. Can't remember if it was Red Light or Hayward that went in to cover his pit stop. For some reason I think it was Racicot.

Old
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yep

Quote:
I rememeber the 1971 Stanley Cup run, my favorite Cup. My friend and I were working at Jarry Park making popcorn for baseball fans and were hustling back and forth not to miss any games. I even carried a portable black and white on the subway to play it for the guys in the 3rd baseline commisary. I rememebr living game to game like it was life or death. My buddy still has a scrapbook of the game stories that year.
That series was memorable for a lot of reasons.

Living in this neck of the woods (SW Ont) you used to get stuck watching the Leafs until they were eliminated. They weren't smart enough to schedule the games on alternating nights back then. Because the Leafs were still playing I had to listen to that big 7 to 5 come-back game on the radio. WBZ no less! Listening to Boston announcers is never a treat anyway.

That was a great Cup win in '71. As big John Ferguson said: "That's the shortest dynasty I ever saw" referring to the Bruins falling to the Habs after winning one cup the previous year. The Pocket Rocket was fantastic against the Hawks in the final.

Speaking of that dreadful 1970 season where the Habs missed the playoffs with 92 points: I watched the Wings mail one in against the Rangers on CBS TV the last weekend of the reg season. Then I had to listen to the last Habs game of the year against the Hawks on Chicago radio. The Rangers and Habs each had 92 points going into that game. I think the Habs had to score 5 to get the last playoff spot to finish ahead of the ranger's 246 goals for. The Hawks were playing for 1st overall.

The Habs pulled the goalie for much of the game trying to just score the GF's. Lost 10 to 2 I think coming up 3 goals short. Lot of EN's in that game. I would think it would have been a record. Like a slow motion car accident that game was. Horrible and depressing.

Old
03-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think the best memories of being a fan of any team have to revolve around the people you share them with.
Agree.

A special story i always kept in mind revolve around my father.

In 1993, 1st overtime win for the habs. Although i dont remember exactly why, but that night he went to sleep before the overtime, must have been a special day for another reason but that's not the question. After that win, he said he wouldnt watch any other overtime if this could help the habs...

10 OT wins that year... He was up as early as he could to get the newspapers in the next morning each time. 10 times man, that must have been so hard.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Closer to today, been older helps appreciate the little things (especially with the past 10 years of Habs mediocre teams). 6th game against the Bruins (2001-2002). I went up early that day and made a decision, i want to see the win tonight.

I went on calling a friend telling him something along the lines of: "Tonight, the Habs will put down the Bruins for good: we cant missed that." And him answering: "ARE YOU CRAZY, we dont have tickets". Oh well, Scalpers werent too nice to deal with that night but those Molson Ex section tickets at 100+$ a piece were ultimately a bargain for what we got...

Old
03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Agree.

A special story i always kept in mind revolve around my father.

In 1993, 1st overtime win for the habs. Although i dont remember exactly why, but that night he went to sleep before the overtime, must have been a special day for another reason but that's not the question. After that win, he said he wouldnt watch any other overtime if this could help the habs...

10 OT wins that year... He was up as early as he could to get the newspapers in the next morning each time. 10 times man, that must have been so hard.
Please thank your father for us, He's a true blue fan.

Old
03-16-2006, 03:47 PM
tinyzombies

For me it was in Feb. 78. My parents took me to a game and somehow got tickets behind the Pittsburgh bench. I remember we got there late and as we were sitting down, I was looking for Lafleur the whole time and couldn't find him. Then he grabbed the puck and skated up the right wing. Everyone in the section got on their feet and I could see his hair swishing between the crowd so I knew it was him and shouted. After the play died down (he didn't score), I shouted "It's Guy Lafleur!" (I was 8, ok?). The whole section gave me a cheer! From that point onward, I was a fan and a couple years later, I used to sneak down to the Forum and stand outside on Atwater/de Maisonneuve on the corner at the player's entrance with the other kids and collect autographs. I saw all the great players go in that door, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull and Dave Keon when they came back to the Forum with Hartford. I remember running into Larry Robinson, Doug Jarvis, and Doug Risebrough (Jarvis and Risebrough always hung out together) as I was walking down de Maisonneuve. I shook Robinson's hand and it was as big as a ham. Lafleur and Lapointe weren't too happy in those days I seem to recall. I saw them a lot and they were always grumpy. I remember all the players. Some of them liked to talk with the fans, some didn't. Dick Irvin always stopped and talked with the kids, he was awesome. I remember that he had an enormous head. As dusk settled in, the kids would either try to sneak in, pick up a ticket to the game somehow, or buy a standing room ticket and run up to grab the best spot. Those were great times. Game nights were magic. Especially if Quebec, Toronto or Boston was in town...

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-16-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Bob in Niagara

I was born in 1951 and in the 50's the Habs were winning all those cups. I immediately fell in love with them and have been a Habs fan ever since. By the way, my Dad was a Leafs fan and still is. I converted my brother to cheer for the Habs, once he came along in the early 60's. Since then, my son and 2 of my brother's boys are all Habs fans, plus now my wife is an avid fan. So it only goes to show you, that 1 fan can turn into many fans.

Old
03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
Been a habs fan for as long as I can remember, all 20 yrs of it anyway, and have many memorable moments. But this weekend I will be going to my first habs game...26th when the take on pittsburgh...CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-16-2006, 05:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
That series was memorable for a lot of reasons.

Living in this neck of the woods (SW Ont) you used to get stuck watching the Leafs until they were eliminated. They weren't smart enough to schedule the games on alternating nights back then. Because the Leafs were still playing I had to listen to that big 7 to 5 come-back game on the radio. WBZ no less! Listening to Boston announcers is never a treat anyway.

That was a great Cup win in '71. As big John Ferguson said: "That's the shortest dynasty I ever saw" referring to the Bruins falling to the Habs after winning one cup the previous year. The Pocket Rocket was fantastic against the Hawks in the final.

Speaking of that dreadful 1970 season where the Habs missed the playoffs with 92 points: I watched the Wings mail one in against the Rangers on CBS TV the last weekend of the reg season. Then I had to listen to the last Habs game of the year against the Hawks on Chicago radio. The Rangers and Habs each had 92 points going into that game. I think the Habs had to score 5 to get the last playoff spot to finish ahead of the ranger's 246 goals for. The Hawks were playing for 1st overall.

The Habs pulled the goalie for much of the game trying to just score the GF's. Lost 10 to 2 I think coming up 3 goals short. Lot of EN's in that game. I would think it would have been a record. Like a slow motion car accident that game was. Horrible and depressing.
I remember listening to that last game in 1970 in disbelief. It had never even crossed my mind that they could somehow miss the playoffs. In the 71, Henri was great in the final game. I'm sure you remember the events leadsing up the final. Poor Al MacNeil, the guy was getting death threats. If I rememebr correctly, Fergy stormed off the bench in the same series. A lot of pride on that team, must have been tough to coach.

Old
03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
wow - time to reflect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
How and when did you first start rooting for the habs? Was it a father/son thing? What are your favorite hab moments of all time? Ever seen a habs stanley cup run? How did you feel about it? It'll be interesting to hear from the old ones (Gros Bill, Mcphee, etc) I'll post mine later!

I am a Bluenoser ( a Nova Scotian) but was born in Quebec while my dad taught there. I lived in the eastern townships until 5 when my family returned to Nova Scotia in the Annapolis Valley. Visiting a hospital close to the FORUM as a kid, I hear I passed by the shrine many times as an infant. Having my parents convince me as a kid ( preschool) that the game ended after one period I hear was a chore - they would turn off the tv and make like they were all going to bed!!

When in University, I had the opportunity to see the Forum, attend practice ( via a friendship made with Brian Skrudland / Mike McPhee / Mike Lalor at the Canadian Airlines Celebrity Golf Tournament in Digby, Nova Scotia) and "feel like a HAB" for 4 days in 1989. There I met Pierre Page ( former coach of the Dalhousie Tigers), Mike Gartner, a huge Finnish goalie "Takko", and many HABS with autographs / sticks etc. At that time it was odd, as some of the players I was getting autographs from wre my own age ( Corson, Svoboda etc).....I remember sitting with Shayne Corson's dad at practice and he gave us the lowdown as he knew it on the players. Taking a picture of my best friend with a broken ROY stick in the crease and getting my picture taken behind a permanent CBC camera was a highlight. Turning around after practice behind the goal judge area, I reached out to shake the hand of Ronald Corey instinctively ..... small in stature - yet, huge in person. INTERESTINGLY, watching Mike Madano get his *** skated off by Jarvis after the rest of the STARS left the ice was cool! The highlight has to be seeing my first game in the SHRINE - The FORUM!!

I have seen a few runs, but the '93 run was so unexpected with a GOOD TEAM, but not a dominating TEAM until they had many overtime wins going their way - it was intoxicating to see them win it ALL!!

I am a lone HABFAN in my family as I have a LEAF father and brother, and a BRUIN brother (who made the playoff always interesting in the 80's and 90's) .... I am the lone HABFAN and am proud of it!!

Last edited by AcadiaAxeMan: 03-16-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old
03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Shabutie

Must've been about 4th grade where one of my best friends got me into the habs. At first I was a ducks fan (Paul Kariya was my idol as a kid, still one of my fave players). I've always liked smaller players (exept St-Louis god knows why) and it's why I loved Saku (Damphouse was my fave though).

Old
03-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Gros Bill

I'll always remember my first game. October 9, 1975, a thursday, I think. Anyway, we were playing in Boston, second game of the season. About halfway through the first period, Bowman looked down the bench at me and said "Get in there, Bill, we need you". It was my first shift in the NHL and you can imagine how nervous I was, paying with all these great players, in Boston, no less (the smell in that place was terrible, like a zoo on a hot summer day).

So anyway, long story short, I lost the faceoff, fell down, broke my leg and that was the end of my career. "Tough break, kid" was all Bowman managed to say, with tears in his eyes. Still, those great memories will stay with me forever and I still get goose-bumps and a little nauseous when I think back on that fateful day.

Old
03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
I'll always remember my first game. October 9, 1975, a thursday, I think. Anyway, we were playing in Boston, second game of the season. About halfway through the first period, Bowman looked down the bench at me and said "Get in there, Bill, we need you". It was my first shift in the NHL and you can imagine how nervous I was, paying with all these great players, in Boston, no less (the smell in that place was terrible, like a zoo on a hot summer day).

So anyway, long story short, I lost the faceoff, fell down, broke my leg and that was the end of my career. "Tough break, kid" was all Bowman managed to say, with tears in his eyes. Still, those great memories will stay with me forever and I still get goose-bumps and a little nauseous when I think back on that fateful day.

Doesn't sound like Scotty, probably allergies.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Doesn't sound like Scotty, probably allergies.
Why must you constantly disparage what I'm saying? Were you there? No, I didn't think so. It's always McPhee this, McPhee that, McPhee why don't you come up and see me sometime. Well, I'm sick of it, you hear? Sick of all that great and powerful McPhee BS. I notice you didn't tell the story about the time you soiled Pete Mahovlich's bed and Scotty made you clean it up. Not so proud of that, now, are you? Or that time you threw up in the Stanley Cup. Or the time Scotty fined you for wearing that god-awful purple codpiece. That was funny eh? Yes we all laughed that time, but all you did was blame Eddie Palchak and beat up on him. "Yes, I'm petulant and I'm having a frenzy, a petulant frenzy" you kept screaming at him

BTW, I'm pretty sure those were tears, but maybe it was that hot-dog with extra onions. You know Scotty, eh?

Closed Thread