HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Two Games...Does Garth Snow Get One?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2006, 02:22 AM
mitchy22

vCash: 500
Next Two Games...Does Garth Snow Get One?

Just curious whether or not anybody thinks Ricky should get both the Atlanta and Florida games and if not which game should Snow get the nod?

I say when (how's that for some new found confidence/cockiness) we beat Atlanta that we can toss Snow the Florida game.

Though I'm still a bit torn. I kind of feel bad only because Snow has barely seen the net and he came off an injury and in the past he's come up big in a game here or there for us but right now I don't feel comfortable with him in net (though the overall team defense has been great lately.)

I'm also a bit worried about Zhitnik's status.

Well yeah, this was more for what everyone else was thinking, I vaguely remember this being discussed previously, but let's have at it again.

Mitch

Old
03-15-2006, 02:36 AM
boredmale

4 games in 6 nights is alot of games(5 in 8 if you count the Montreal game). I think it might be best to sit Dipi one of them to make sure he not overworked. If you look who we are playing in terms of the playoff race, Florida is the least important of those 5 games.

So i would play Dipi against Atlanta, Tampa and Montreal and hope that Snow can help us win the florida game, in hopes that Dipi is better rested for the 2 big games(tampa and montreal) after the Atlanta game, which mean more.

Fromt his point on Snow should probably play 2-3 more games. So basically you want him in games he has a marginal chance to win or ones that won't hurt us as much(ie philly or rangers). You also will probably want him for 1 game in situations were we play alot of games in as hort period.

Old
03-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Isles72

I'm sorry , but you have a kid who is in the prime of his life (24)and is in tip top shape physically .He is quietly leading this little surge we have going and I'd hate to lose any momentum moving forward by resting him .

ride the hot pony

Old
03-15-2006, 07:03 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72
I'm sorry , but you have a kid who is in the prime of his life (24)and is in tip top shape physically .He is quietly leading this little surge we have going and I'd hate to lose any momentum moving forward by resting him .
I would hate to lose any momentium by having him be tired for the Tampa game

Old
03-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Dugi Otok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72

ride the hot pony
I agree - ride DP till we've clinched that final spot !
I have no faith in Snow

Old
03-15-2006, 07:34 AM
arby2222

no way dont fix what isnt broke, stick with DP

Old
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby2222
no way dont fix what isnt broke, stick with DP
5 games in 8 nights is to much though, of all the games, Florida on friday is the least important. The fact that it's the second part of a back to back game makes it the best option to rest the rick

Old
03-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Capt Reynolds

I say ride DP while he is this hot. If he has an off night, sit him the next game. We don't have any back to backs (I think), so if he does not show any sign of faltering there is no need to break the flow and focus IMHO.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:27 AM
kasper11

We have seen before that his play starts to deteriorate if he plays too many games. Resting him a couple of games down the stretch will probably let him play better in all of the other games. It is a risk either way, but to me the downside of playing him too often is that his play suffers over a stretch of several games, something the Isles can't afford.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
It's hard to say, but I would seriously consider sitting him against the Panthers so that he's rested and primed for the huge points against Montreal and Tampa.

The thing about waiting for him to have an off night, then resting him the next game, is that that could well be throwing away 4 points, the game he falters in and the game he sits. If you choose to start your backup against a weaker opponent, then you still have the chance to take two points. If you wait, then when he needs a rest you don't know who the opponent will be. What happens if he burns out against TB, and then we sit him against Montreal? That right there could kill the season.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Aucoin3

Personally I wouldnt play Snow again all season unless we were finally mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs or clinched a playoff spot. Until then that guy doesnt see the ice one more time. Personally I also believe this is the approach the Isles are going to take.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Fantom

If Dp is hot he should keep playing. On the other hand i have no worries about snow playing a game.

Old
03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
herecomesdabus

You guys are kidding me if you are thinking of sitting DiPi...from here until the Isles are eliminated, DiPi gets all the games. If he is a true no.1 it should not be a problem. He already has sat out plenty enough this year where he can handle the rest of the load.

This thinking of sitting DiPi everytime there is a back to back game is the kind of thinking that has been holding back DiPi and the organization...DiPi can handle the 3 games in 4 nights.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz already

Think of it this way...the Isles right now are having their playoffs...a loss now could be detrimental. The team has caught momentum. It doesn't make any sense at all to disrupt that right now. Putting Snow in now might also be detrimental to the way the rest of the team is playing.

God this talk of resting DiPi is completely sickening

Old
03-15-2006, 09:48 AM
herecomesdabus

Also the team has played some pretty good defense so DiPi has not faced alot of shots. He plenty fresh.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
You guys are kidding me if you are thinking of sitting DiPi...from here until the Isles are eliminated, DiPi gets all the games. If he is a true no.1 it should not be a problem. He already has sat out plenty enough this year where he can handle the rest of the load.

This thinking of sitting DiPi everytime there is a back to back game is the kind of thinking that has been holding back DiPi and the organization...DiPi can handle the 3 games in 4 nights.

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz already

Think of it this way...the Isles right now are having their playoffs...a loss now could be detrimental. The team has caught momentum. It doesn't make any sense at all to disrupt that right now. Putting Snow in now might also be detrimental to the way the rest of the team is playing.

God this talk of resting DiPi is completely sickening
Even Brodeur is having problems handling that kind of workload, as evidenced by his last couple games. Guess he's not a true #1?

You have to keep in mind, this is not the old NHL, when goalies faced about 23-28 shots a night. 30+ saves in a game is routine now, and against Atlanta with no Zhitnik, Dipietro has a good chance of having to make 40+ saves. I have faith he can do it, but I do think it'd be prudent to rest him, so he has something left for the much bigger games against Montreal and Tampa.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
kasper11

Those of you thinking of playing Dipietro for the rest of the season are nuts.

The goalies that play the most games still average resting once every 10 games or so, and that is during a normal year. The schedule this year is even more condensed with the Olympics. Plus, Dipietro has never before had to handle that kind of a load. And you want him to go in 22 straight if need be?

I could see them playing him the next 4 though, and then resting him against Pitt before they play Atl and Mon again.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
It's hard to say, but I would seriously consider sitting him against the Panthers so that he's rested and primed for the huge points against Montreal and Tampa.

The thing about waiting for him to have an off night, then resting him the next game, is that that could well be throwing away 4 points, the game he falters in and the game he sits. If you choose to start your backup against a weaker opponent, then you still have the chance to take two points. If you wait, then when he needs a rest you don't know who the opponent will be. What happens if he burns out against TB, and then we sit him against Montreal? That right there could kill the season.
Florida is the only game in the upcoming schedule I would even consider sitting him. The games are just too important. I know he has tired when overplayed in the past, but at some point he will need to play loads of consecutive games if we make the playoffs and advance. This is essentially our playoffs right now. If he looks sharp in practice I think you just can't afford to sit him, we need every single point, and Snow has looked weak at best since coming back from his injury.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Eman Resu

If we're truly making a playoff run, then we have to think past this week. Sure, this week's games are the most important of the season, but if we win them, then NEXT week's games will become the most important. If DP isn't tired out this week, then he probably will be next week. Why let him get to that point?

The team needs to have confidence in DP and Snow. While I agree about riding the hot guy and stuff, we have to learn from past experience. And this year we've learned that DP plays best when he gets a night off now and then. DP is very confident right now... if he tires out and has a bad game, he may lose some of that confidence.

You can say what you want about Snow, but one things seems certain, he's a competitor. I don't think he'll want to come into a game and let the team down.

So, I fall into the start Snow against Florida camp. If the team continues their strong play, we should be able to win there AND rest DP.

Old
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
Florida is the only game in the upcoming schedule I would even consider sitting him. The games are just too important. I know he has tired when overplayed in the past, but at some point he will need to play loads of consecutive games if we make the playoffs and advance. This is essentially our playoffs right now. If he looks sharp in practice I think you just can't afford to sit him, we need every single point, and Snow has looked weak at best since coming back from his injury.
Oh, I agree entirely. The ENTIRE point of sitting him is to make sure he's at his best when we need him most, against Tampa and Montreal the games after. If there was more than a one day break between the back-to-back games (ATL&FLA) then I'd consider giving him both. But one day off going in, and one day off coming out, it's just too much to expect him to still be at his best going into two of the biggest games of the season. I also think the tougher playoff schedule is all the more reason to make sure he has something left in the tank by the end of the season.

Dipietro is the hot hand right now, undoubtedly, but what I'm throwing out there to the people that want to ride him until he breaks: Would he be having this same hot streak if he hadn't gotten those nights off following the break?

Old
03-15-2006, 10:51 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Count me in for using Snow against Florida, unless Ricky has a relatively easy game against Atlanta(which I don't see happening now that Zhitnik is probably out). The defense has been sick lately and I think even Snow can be successful playing behind them, especially against a team like Florida. If we win these next 2 games with Snow playing the second, we will have Ricky coming off 2 days of rest to play the 2 teams in front of us back to back. That is HUGE! Not to mention another 2 days rest after that where we go to play back to back games again. In which case he may have enough rest to play both of them.

I think it all comes down to Ricky though. Shaw needs to talk to him before the Florida game to get an honest answer from Rick to see if he can handle it. Either way, if we win the next 2 games I think our fate is in our hands the rest of the way.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
herecomesdabus

I don't know why some of you consider the Panthers such a soft game...they are on the rise. This team will only go as far as DiPi will take them...Snow can not be counted on...they need to get rid of him, he is no longer an NHL quality goalie. I was hoping they called up Dubi and carried 3 goalies if neccassary because Snow is that bad. I hope they can somehow unload him after the season.

I don't know how anybody could actually suggest sitting DiPi and putting in Snow?...the season is hanging on a thread.

I don't know why everybody is afraid of DiPi getting tired. He can rest when the season is over. He can rest after the games...go to bed early get some rest. He's a young kid, his body recovers quickly. He has not seen alot of shots since the allstar break. Theres people with everday jobs who work alot harder physically each and everyday for 30yrs straight. Try moving furniture or swinging a sledge hammer...c'mon guys give it a rest already. DiPi has only played about 45 games so far.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Seph

Quote:
I don't know why some of you consider the Panthers such a soft game...they are on the rise. This team will only go as far as DiPi will take them...Snow can not be counted on...they need to get rid of him, he is no longer an NHL quality goalie. I was hoping they called up Dubi and carried 3 goalies if neccassary because Snow is that bad. I hope they can somehow unload him after the season.

I don't know how anybody could actually suggest sitting DiPi and putting in Snow?...the season is hanging on a thread.

I don't know why everybody is afraid of DiPi getting tired. He can rest when the season is over. He can rest after the games...go to bed early get some rest. He's a young kid, his body recovers quickly. He has not seen alot of shots since the allstar break. Theres people with everday jobs who work alot harder physically each and everyday for 30yrs straight. Try moving furniture or swinging a sledge hammer...c'mon guys give it a rest already. DiPi has only played about 45 games so far.
Those people also don't have jobs where a difference of a fraction of a second in reaction can be the difference between them being succesful and them failing. It's not a question of body fatigue so much as mental fatigue.

The thing about the Panthers isn't that they're pushovers, but simply that those points aren't as important. They're behind us right now, and while yes, a loss to them could help them get back into things, we have to focus on the guys ahead of us more than anything. These are all 4 point games and we need to make sure we win the games against the catchable teams that remain ahead of us.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Those people also don't have jobs where a difference of a fraction of a second in reaction can be the difference between them being succesful and them failing. It's not a question of body fatigue so much as mental fatigue.

The thing about the Panthers isn't that they're pushovers, but simply that those points aren't as important. They're behind us right now, and while yes, a loss to them could help them get back into things, we have to focus on the guys ahead of us more than anything. These are all 4 point games and we need to make sure we win the games against the catchable teams that remain ahead of us.
Yeah well I rather lose with DiPi in there then watch Snow give up 4 soft goals on 6 shots. Now is not the time to be scared but its time to lay it all on the line. We need to stop cuddling DiPi so much....whats everybody afraid of? Here we are with a golden opportunity...the best run in I don't know how long and people want to pull the plug...why? because DiPi might be tired.

Let him stay in until he gets tired.

Old
03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
herecomesdabus

Frankly it would be nice to see what this kid is made of. It would be a nice test. We should also stop seeing fatigue as some kind of fatal desease...If he gets tired then he can rest.

We should only use Snow if we don't have anyother choice. Why create a situation or a scenario that says we have to use Snow?

Old
03-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Seph

Quote:
Yeah well I rather lose with DiPi in there then watch Snow give up 4 soft goals on 6 shots. Now is not the time to be scared but its time to lay it all on the line. We need to stop cuddling DiPi so much....whats everybody afraid of? Here we are with a golden opportunity...the best run in I don't know how long and people want to pull the plug...why? because DiPi might be tired.

Let him stay in until he gets tired.

Frankly it would be nice to see what this kid is made of. It would be a nice test. We should also stop seeing fatigue as some kind of fatal desease...If he gets tired then he can rest.

We should only use Snow if we don't have anyother choice. Why create a situation or a scenario that says we have to use Snow?
And what is your obsession with fatigue being a some kind of a sissy excuse?

Sure, let's buck the strategy of every coach in the league for the past several decades, because you want Dipietro to prove something. While we're at it, why do pitchers only play part of games in the MLB and they don't even play every game. They should play all game every game, or they are sissies. If Dipietro was a REAL man, he'd play every night and never let a goal in, that he can't just proves he's not a REAL man.

If he gets tired during a game, and then needs rest and if you feel that Snow is a guaranteed loss, then you've now lost two games rather than just the one. Even if Snow loses to the Panthers, that's still better than the two losses, and you get to pick that the guaranteed loss is to a team that is much less important to beat. It also increases the risk of injury to Dipietro, which would kill the season for us as surely as a bullet and could have repercussions on his development.

What am I afraid of? I'm afraid that someone trying to prove something costs us a chance at making the playoffs. Shaw should do the smart thing and if he thinks either Dipietro needs the rest, or that he can get away with starting Snow against the Panthers, then he should definitely do it.

Closed Thread