HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Why doesn't Dolan give up on MSG Network?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
OT- Why doesn't Dolan give up on MSG Network?

Perhaps I'm way off but.........Wouldn't it make sense for Cablevision shareholders and Dolan to sell off the television rights to the Knicks and Rangers to either SNY or YES? I'm not sure how much the TV rights for the two teams would go for but..............

1.I'm guessing the tv rights for both teams would be more of a profit than operation of a television network.

2.SNY and Yes would be in a no doubt pay top dollar to have prime winter programming.

I know their are people that know way more about this than myself. (we can say that about most topics on the boards) but doesn't it makes sense?

Old
03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know crap about this stuff, but wouldn't Dolan lose his ability to control the announcers?

Old
03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Umm, the Rangers and Knicks broadcasts likely operate at close to 75% profit. Take out the cost of paying for the rights, add in the advertising fees and it's win-win. The other 25% is operational.

Old
03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos
Umm, the Rangers and Knicks broadcasts likely operate at close to 75% profit. Take out the cost of paying for the rights, add in the advertising fees and it's win-win. The other 25% is operational.
Yeah what he said. Basically Dolan makes 100% profit off televising the rangers games, minus the production costs. It's sort of like owning the arena, any profits they make during the game, weither it be ticket sales or food sales, goes into Dolan's pocket. Basically on a Rangers(or knicks) game, Dolan triple dips into the profits because he owns the TV station and Arena.

I wonder to this day when Dolan claimed he lost cash on the Rangers in 2003/04, how much he claimed he got from the TV rights and Ticket sales? Because he owned all three he could fudge the numbers anyway he wanted(ie he got 10% of ticket sales and the cable rights cost 1 dollar). Specially now when the higher up teams have to pay the lower teams, to equal everything out, he can really adjust the accounting book to make himself look like a middle of the road franchise in terms of profits.

Old
03-16-2006, 06:53 AM
DutchShamrock

Who carries Rangers games in the spring if we are on YES? We have enough trouble getting on MSG when the Knicks play. Do you want to miss a playoff game because the Yanks have an away game? The Yankees' ballboys taking batting practice would get higher ratings than a Ranger game right now, no way we trump that team any day.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:05 AM
bathgate

Tawnos is absolutely correct. During the strike year, the players accused the owners of "cooking the books." Without hockey, I delved into the financial statements of Cablevision FOR INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY. Although the Rangers and Knicks "appeared to lose money," Cablevision made money on the telecasts. The telecasts made money due to advertising revenue and subscription base. The Garden apparently lost money due to allocations of overhead of the corporate headquarters. Dolan will not sell the T.V. rights since it is a huge money maker. Unfortunately for us, the Knick advertisers are willing to pay more for ad time than Ranger advertisers. Thus, we are relegated to MSG 2.

Old
03-16-2006, 09:47 AM
greasch#4

Even the Mets are starting their own network. Advertising revenue from a network trumps revenue from ticket sales and merchandise profits put together. Hopefully the Knicks will continue to lose and attract a smaller viewing audience. The Knicks WERE my favortie Bball team but right now I am openly rooting against them (and not to improve the draft pick as it was traded, and not even lottery protected, in the Curry deal). The knicks are the worst team in the league and have the highest payroll, sound familiar. I just don't think Isiah knows what he is doing. If I was as bad at my job as he is at his, I would be unemployed.

Closed Thread