HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Will/Should we go after Parrish

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't think there is any real chance the Isles try to bring Mark back. Although he remains one of my favorite players in the league (because of his grit and work ethic), the Isles have got to address their need for 1) a big defensive center, 2) steady defensive dmen, before they do anything. And, this team already has several good young wingers (Nilsson, Bergie, Hunter).
Well said Darth.

it is time to move on we have a nice depth at W in our system but we are in dire need of a #1 D .

Parrish ,though i appreciated all his dirty work here on the Island, in my heart i believe didnt want want back on the Island.

Colliton is a guy whos a little simliar to Parrish type of game...so iam curious to see how he plays tonight.

03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
I don't think there is any real chance the Isles try to bring Mark back. Although he remains one of my favorite players in the league (because of his grit and work ethic), the Isles have got to address their need for 1) a big defensive center, 2) steady defensive dmen, before they do anything. And, this team already has several good young wingers (Nilsson, Bergie, Hunter).
Darth, I agree but I think we already have that defensive center in Nokeleinen. Our centers next year should be York, Yashin(for obvious reasons), Nokeleinen and Smith. Let's focus all that money on defense REDDEN

Old
03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360
Darth, I agree but I think we already have that defensive center in Nokeleinen. Our centers next year should be York, Yashin(for obvious reasons), Nokeleinen and Smith. Let's focus all that money on defense REDDEN

York is not a true center, and Nokeleinen is too inexperienced to be a go-to guy in clutch situations (although he should get there one day). Smith doesn't belong in the NHL in a regular role.

I'm not big on the idea of signing a Chara or Redden type. We have too many big contract as it is. If I had to tie up six million, I'd rather spend it on two lessor guys.

Old
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

True, but even if York is not a true center I wouldn't want to break up this line if they stay hot till the end of the year. I think Nokie can handle the role of third line center. Put him in the middle of Blake and Tambellini and I think that can be a pretty sick line. Smith has been good as a 4th liner but I wouldn't mind losing him if we could bring in somebody better. As for not tying up a lot of money in one player, that is a good point although if Redden would take something like a 3 year contract I would do it in a heartbeat. I think there's no risk with Redden and he will definately still be top-5 in the league throughout those three years. But if he wants Yashin-type years just walk away.

Old
03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
York is not a true center, and Nokeleinen is too inexperienced to be a go-to guy in clutch situations (although he should get there one day). Smith doesn't belong in the NHL in a regular role.

I'm not big on the idea of signing a Chara or Redden type. We have too many big contract as it is. If I had to tie up six million, I'd rather spend it on two lessor guys.
Hey, I think you and I are on the exact same page as far as off-season moves/priorities. That's good news.

I'm looking for modest moves this off-season. Less is more.

Add one stabilizing, cost-effective vet on the backline (e.g., Carney or Salei).

Let the kid wingers continue to develop, let Nokie/Collition (re)earn a roster spot as a #4 pivot (to start out next season, with Bates as your #3 center)....and then figure out what you wish to do about your top two center spots.

Regardless of whether Yashin stays or goes, I agree that a veteran upgrade at center is needed (as well as a lefty shot), via trade or UFA. That would mean moving York to his best spot, left wing...which in turn, creates some excess for possible trade options.

Then go from there, and let your roster mature together.

Should be interesting.

Talk of lines for next year is fruitless, IMO. We've seen things change, regularly. While it would be nice to have some stability, its premature to put any combos in concrete.

Will never hear a bad word about Mark Parrish from me. Solid, "honest" player, who came to the rink to play every night. Dependable, albeit not a star.

But it was time. The trade made sense for multiple reasons, already discussed. I like the new, quicker version of NYI.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-16-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

If we do bring in a Savard to center one of the top lines and then move York to the wing, Blake could be a pretty nice trading chip. I'd hate to see him go but I'd rather deal him than one of our promising young wingers. How would this look next year:

Satan-Savard-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-Nilsson
York-Nokie-Tambellini
Godard-Smith/UFA-Asham/Colliton/Hamilton

Then use Blake to either move up in the draft, get another stud prospect, or pick up a good veteran D-man.

Old
03-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan303
That being said, I had a problem with him when he said in the papers that he would love to go to Minnesota. You just don't say that while your wearing another teams uniform. I don't care if your positioning yourself or not for a new contract. It was disrespectful to the fans and also his teammates. I also didn't care for a remark he made after the trade in the papers, "Im glad to be on a team on it's way up, not like the Islanders who are on their way down". It wasn't necessary.
I hear ya, the overall Vibe I got from Parrish was he didnt want to be here and he didnt like the fans, he never seemed happy when he was playing and who can forget his first season here when he told the fans to "Stay home if you are going to boo."

I hope he isnt brought back...

Old
03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
If we do bring in a Savard to center one of the top lines...

Satan-Savard-Hunter
Bergenheim-Yashin-Nilsson
York-Nokie-Tambellini
Godard-Smith/UFA-Asham/Colliton/Hamilton
You are aware, correct, that an NHL center's responsibilities include a major defensive role, backchecking net to net and acting as a third-dman? And you are aware of Savard's modest skate speed and reputation for below average defense? And you are aware that among the top three NYI centers listed above, Yashin is the best and most experienced defensive player?

Just my opinion, but I'd hope (geesh!) after this season, NYI fans would pay just a bit more attention to players' abilities (or lack thereof) on both ends of the rink. Offense alone will not get it done. Savard is having a career offensive year (coincidentally in his contract year), and is a dynamic player with the puck on his stick, no doubt. But his weaknesses play right into those that currently exist on NYI's roster of forwards. (I suggest this having caught a lot of Thrashers games this year.)

I personally put him in the category of "very dangerous" UFA signings, as in one that could backfire for years to come.

Old
03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
boredmale

Quote:
If we do bring in a Savard to center one of the top lines and then move York to the wing, Blake could be a pretty nice trading chip. I'd hate to see him go but I'd rather deal him than one of our promising young wingers. How would this look next year:
Not a fan of Savards, he basically has had one good seasons(this being it). In Atlanta he is put ina great situation with alot of skilled wingers, in NY i feel he will just go back to the production he has had in the previous few seasons.

Closed Thread