HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Islanders @ Atlanta Thrashers: 3/16 FSN2 7pm

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Riddick

vCash: 500
i dont want to say 'if it wasnt for that first goal'....BUT IF IT WASNT FOR THAT FIRST GOAL!!!! ARRRRGH!!!

I cant really complain much. The Rick played excellant except for that one goal. He kept us in the game. Good effort.

BTW, there is one thing i am absolutely SICK of hearing from Joe Mich. and Howie: 'and he JUST misses!' HONESTLY, can ANYONE FINISH??? I am SOOO FN TIRED of people JUST MISSING! I think hunter was the ONLY post tonight. COME ON!!!

Again tho, good effort all around, sad to see them lose, but there were so many reasons why this should have been a blowout.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Eman Resu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
but at least i was able to see the fat, sloppy, ugly, hillbilly chicks jumping up and down after igor's goal. remind me never to stop in atlanta.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Eman Resu

3-1 Carolina with 10 min left in the third. Toronto lost. So if things stay this way we only lost points to Atlanta.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

How was DiPietro tonight?

Old
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
cjdv16

lotsa good things from this game....

ricky was good
grebs was excellent
campoli was solid
tambellini was skating and working
yashin is picking up the pace
bergenheim again was good

things we really needed....

nilsson wasn't on top of his game
bouchard
really needed hunter to come up big... other than the post, i don't recall much
satan to create

props to atlanta for going into a shell in the 3rd. try that against a team with an average age over 24 and you'll get shelled.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:35 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
How was DiPietro tonight?

very good.... other than another bone head play on the 1st goal.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:35 PM
mitchy22

Good effort. Stayed in it when Atlanta came out strong. Traded goals in the 2nd. Empty net at the end.

Move on to tomorrow vs. FLA.
2 points just as important tomorrow, lost ground to the Thrashers but hopefully we'll stay even with Montreal and Toronto.

We'll see Atlanta again.

Pat the kids on the back, move on to tomorrow.

Mitch

Old
03-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Eman Resu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22
Good effort. Stayed in it when Atlanta came out strong. Traded goals in the 2nd. Empty net at the end.

Move on to tomorrow vs. FLA.
2 points just as important tomorrow, lost ground to the Thrashers but hopefully we'll stay even with Montreal and Toronto.

We'll see Atlanta again.

Pat the kids on the back, move on to tomorrow.

Mitch
Yup, I think this is the attitude to take.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Say what you will, but it seems like the fans on this board are alive again. This is the most activity we have had in game threads all season long...

Old
03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
Say what you will, but it seems like the fans on this board are alive again. This is the most activity we have had in game threads all season long...
I say the same to the Islander team....This team is working hard! We have a good foundation of young kids with heart and determination. No matter what happens the rest of the season, we are in a better situation now as an organization than I thought we would be before the trade deadline.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Getting Bouchard back for tomorrow and the rest of the year will be huge. I still think we have a good chance to make it. Only 4 points out of Atlanta with a game in hand I believe? Gotta win tomorrow.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
br3ds0x

Quote:
Ya really. I came home from work in the 3rd period and it was already up to 7 pages...never seen it that high even after a game is over.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
well... we won't be losing any ground on anyone... and still have a game at hand on the thrashers.

sorry to see frankenstein score a cheap empty netter. he's a dirt bag.

but at least i was able to see the fat, sloppy, ugly, hillbilly chicks jumping up and down after igor's goal. remind me never to stop in atlanta.

onto florida to pickup some points.
As a former Atlanta resident, it's about half and half "fat, sloppy, ugly hillbilly chicks" and normal women. Unfortunately, that 50% ruins it for every other woman in that city. They've got plenty of hot chicks, not to an NYC degree though, but that Southern Belle and I'm-still-Daddy's(who, BTW, owns eighteen shotguns)-little-girl-at-age-22 complex is such a damn turnoff.

Alright, sorry for wasting space, I just had to respond.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
NYIsles1*

I liked this loss better than a lot of wins this season, that said any loss is a setback in terms of 05-06. Islanders still have a game in hand on Atlanta.

I'm surprised they stayed with Atlanta and basically gave the Thrashers nothing the second half of the game after hanging on a few times early.

I guess it's easy to blame DiPietro for the first goal but his save later on Kovalchuk and a lot of solid play really kept them in the game.

Keep watching these young players and at times they seem ahead of the veterans, they do not quit on anything and seem to life the entire team with their skating. Satan's line had a ton of chances, they worked hard but they did not finish, neither did Blake who has to start finishing. That back and fourth shift in the second is the kind of hockey they came at the Thrashers in waves and did everything but finish.

Defense stumbled at times. especially on the gwg by Mellanby where Bates and Martinek lost their man but for the most part the turnovers, giveaways were far less than it was earlier this season. Grebeshkov had a very good game again, really all the defenders did and Rourke did not look out of place at all.

That's a world-class slapshot by Alexei Yashin, amazing the time and space he is finding with two skilled wingers who have some speed, he was very good in this game again. Bergenheim a third liner? Not to me, not even close, keep him right where he is.

Thrashers have to be given credit here for a good effort, outstanding skilled team and Lehtonen made the saves he had to make.

Islanders can hold this group to three goals, they can stay with any team in terms of skill not many teams are ahead of Atlanta.

See what happens in Florida, nothing really discouraging about tonight to me aside from not getting two points.

I saw too many wins the last few years far worse and they really put in a good effort here.

If these are the Islanders playoffs I'm enjoying them.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
7 rookies, 3 of them on defense. A defense with a combined 426 games of NHL experience, which averages out to 71 games per player (take away Martinek, and the average number of career NHL games for the other 5 becomes 47). Put that out against one of the most potent offenses in the league... Well, you have to give them a ton of credit for hanging in, skating with them and making it a game. They kept it close and were in the game up until the final minute. A couple different bounces and we may even could've won that game. It sucks that we lost it, and it was a nail biter to the end, but there's still a lot for the team to take away from it.

A few other good things to take away from the game:
despite his one misplay, Dipietro had another great game. Yashin found his shot finally, hopefully can continue to unload that shot from the slot or left circle. The team didn't back down when the going got rough, both on the scoreboard and the rough physical game the Thrashers were taking to them. It was fun watching York get mad and start throwing hits whenever possible, even if the hits were largely ineffectual due to his small size. And of course, the kids showed a lot of skill and played hard. When they put it all together, this could be a dangerous team.

Can't say I realistically expected a whole lot better without Zhitnik and Bouchard. And I think it shows just how much promise this team has for the future that even with such a young roster, they scould stay with one of the hotter teams in hockey. So for now, I'll take the loss.

Old
03-16-2006, 08:57 PM
boredmale

habs and leafs lose, atlanta, devils and boston gain points

could be better could be worse i guess.

Take away the first period it was basically an even game which is good considering we just lost our 2 best defensemen.

Old
03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajet
Atlanta fans show up late (A pet peeve of mine, as folks show up as late as the beginning of the second period. Game starts @ 7, some folks show up 7:30 or 8.), plus we draw better on Fridays and Saturdays (Unless it's an American Original Six team.).
You have to give people a bit of a break. Atlanta traffic is brutal. I left work at 5, swung by my house and went straight to the arena... and was still 15 mins late.

Anyway, I though the Isles played decent. On Atlanta's first goal, it looked like an Atlanta player knocked the puck out of the air with a very high stick on the breakout. We really missed Zhitnik on the transition from offense to defense... too many sloppy and intercepted passes through the neutral zone.

Old
03-16-2006, 09:51 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ame.asp?id=790

WINNING STREAK OVER AT FOUR
Atlanta 4, Islanders 2

"The approach was good, so was the battle level," said Islanders head coach Brad Shaw. "Atlanta really took it to us in the first period, but we maintained our composure and worked all night. I can't complain about the work ethic."

Old
03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
cjdv16

simple take-away as we move on this year is that this team can hang and proved to themselves that they've still got a great shot at making the playoffs.

onto florida.

Old
03-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Erskine played a huge role tonight. 20 minutes... anyone feel like he looked out of place?

Old
03-16-2006, 10:45 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Like NYisles stated, I enjoyed this loss a lot more than many of their wins. They played hard, and was a valuable learning experience for the 7 rookies. With a D composed of the farm team I can say a 3-2 loss isn't that shabby. We had a full roster, win would have been ours. Future is bright for this squad, with stand out performances by Grebs and Bergie. Props to yash, at 3.5 mil a season he would be a worthy commodity. Will he restructure his contract, as the "leader" he is? Hes playing had out there, the kids speed/forechecking adds a missing element. Now if only we can get Satan to score again.

I don't expect to make the playoffs, but all I ask is for them to play hard and if they lose, go down fighting, those are enviable lessons learned for this young squad...lets go islanders!

Old
03-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Erskine played a huge role tonight. 20 minutes... anyone feel like he looked out of place?
He was a guy I had hoped would respond well to increased ice time on a new team. He didn't let me down tonight.

He still isn't a guy you want playing 20 minutes a night ideally, but with the right partner, I think he could be a solid top 4 contributor.

Old
03-16-2006, 11:30 PM
KH1

I sadly couldn't catch this game but from what I can gather the Isles played just as hard as they've been playing since the Olympic break. This puts a serious dent in our playoff hopes but what can you do but just go out and play hard again against Florida?

Old
03-17-2006, 01:08 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
A really tough game ....We were overmatched but We kept pace throughout the game.

Hell....I agree with the other posters

This was a really exciting game to watch ...

Id take a loss like this over a sloppy win.

A game like this gives me alot of hope for next year

Right now ill say it, Wang should seriousily think about keeping Shaw.

Imagine if we had a coach of his type all along?

Hes making the players play a responsible game [defensively]

Made the Rick concetrate moreso

Use a guy like Goddard accordingly [notice noone runs over Rick any more?]

I say give him a 1 year deal....get him a decent D via UFA

id love to watch what damage this young team will do next year.

03-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
One of those "what can you do?" games. Isles worked their butts off and didn't get anything in return. Poor decision making by Ricky on that first goal seemed to cost them the game. It was a good effort and hopefully the Isles can keep it up for tonight in Florida, another MUST WIN game.

Closed Thread