HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Islanders @ Atlanta Thrashers: 3/16 FSN2 7pm

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Right now ill say it, Wang should seriousily think about keeping Shaw
At this point, the only I'd think about taking over Shaw is Brent Sutter. And even then, I'm not 100% on that. I would have zero qualms about seeing Shaw behind the bench next year.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
One of those "what can you do?" games. Isles worked their butts off and didn't get anything in return. Poor decision making by Ricky on that first goal seemed to cost them the game. It was a good effort and hopefully the Isles can keep it up for tonight in Florida, another MUST WIN game.
While the Isles played great and Ricky also had a very good overall game, his misplay cost us the game. It's a maturation process, but he has to learn that making a move like that is not smart. Especially given that an Isles D-man, while trailing the play slightly, was in position to force the shot from one side. Ricky most likely would have had no problem with the shot if he sat back and showed patience.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:25 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
At this point, the only I'd think about taking over Shaw is Brent Sutter. And even then, I'm not 100% on that. I would have zero qualms about seeing Shaw behind the bench next year.
Funny thing is i bet Sutter is offered the GM job not the head coaching job.
And the way Brent is...id believe He & Shaw share the same game philosophy.

03-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu
Hey, he made up for it 3x over already. He just made an AMAZING save on a one-time by Kovy having to move laterally very quickly across the crease. If we are down 1-0 at the end of this period we are simply LUCKY.
You are right... But that is the difference between a very good goalie and a great goalie. The great goalie makes all those great save and doesnt go diving head first on the powerplay to let in the goal. Ultimatley that goal cost the Isles the game. Yes its true DP was great besides that play but you know what it wasnt good enough to win. He needed to be smart a full 60 minutes to win and he wasnt.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
FLAnatic

Send a message via ICQ to FLAnatic Send a message via AIM to FLAnatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach
Especially given that an Isles D-man, while trailing the play slightly, was in position to force the shot from one side. Ricky most likely would have had no problem with the shot if he sat back and showed patience.
Not only was a D-man right there but it was Martinek who is a great skater and is probably the most likely of any of the isles defenseman to catch up to Hossa.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Capt Reynolds

Heartbreaker

What a tough tough loss, not just because of how important the game was but because we could have won it. The shorthanded goal was an all-around screw up, from Campoli losing control at the blueline to DP misjudging whether he could get to it in time.

As for DP, I thought on the whole he played very well and kept us in it, although the first goal was a collective screw up and the second was savable. But on the whole he gave us a real chance to win when we didn't really deserve it with all the scoring chances we were giving up, and I am coming over to the camp that says play Snow tonite to give DP a break.

The rest of the team, well, we came out a little too timid. Not lazy, but timid, almost over-patient. As a result Atlanta just dominated the early going. Still, given how many rookies and journeymen we were dressing I thought we gave a good effort. Right about now would be a good time for the York line to start scoring again.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3
You are right... But that is the difference between a very good goalie and a great goalie. The great goalie makes all those great save and doesnt go diving head first on the powerplay to let in the goal. Ultimatley that goal cost the Isles the game. Yes its true DP was great besides that play but you know what it wasnt good enough to win. He needed to be smart a full 60 minutes to win and he wasnt.
The kid's 24. How many 24 year olds are great goalies? At 26, Luongo still isn't good enough to win the games needed to get his team into the playoffs. Guess he sucks too.

Old
03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Bourne14

Quote:
Even Patrick Roy tried to make some crazy plays that ended up in disaster. If it was not for Dipietro this game would have been ugly. Atlanta put alot of quality shots on him and from what I saw DP looked pretty good.

The end result sucked but I ythought the game was pretty exciting, especially the second period.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
The kid's 24. How many 24 year olds are great goalies? At 26, Luongo still isn't good enough to win the games needed to get his team into the playoffs. Guess he sucks too.
Maybe if you read a little closer we would be ok. I said thats the difference between GOOD Goalie and a GREAT goalie. I didnt say anyone sucks.

But going back to your question how many times do you see Lundqvist (24 yrs.), Luongo (26 yrs.), Miller (25 yrs.), Auld (24 yrs.), Lehtonen (23 yrs.), and Nittymaki (25 yrs.), just a few starters around the league that are his age, going out of the net and leaving it wide open for the other team to shoot at? I see it happen maybe once every few games to these other guys tops (and I do watch if you are planning on asking). DiPietro does it at lest 4 or 5 times a game. Now it doesnt always end up in the net but thats because there are other guys on the ice. That play against Atlanta wasnt the only time he coughed it up and was out of position, it was just the only one that went in. If he could learn to just stay in the net he would be 100x better.

You can argue he was the best Islander on the ice all you want, and I'll agree he was very strong all night but when it comes down to it he cost us points because thats a goal that never should happen and we lost by 1.

If Yashin had a huge defensive breakdown that cost a goal everyone would be cursing the day he was brought here and talking about buying out his contract, even though he did score a goal. Its the same difference.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne14
Even Patrick Roy tried to make some crazy plays that ended up in disaster. If it was not for Dipietro this game would have been ugly. Atlanta put alot of quality shots on him and from what I saw DP looked pretty good.

The end result sucked but I ythought the game was pretty exciting, especially the second period.
I agree it was a great game lots of excitement.

Every goalie makes mistakes like that sometimes, but Patrick Roy didnt make 5 of them a game. There were at least 3 other times that game that DiPietro made a bad decision going for the puck that almost cost us goals.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Riddick

Quote:

Every goalie makes mistakes like that sometimes, but Patrick Roy didnt make 5 of them a game. There were at least 3 other times that game that DiPietro made a bad decision going for the puck that almost cost us goals.

i noticed a few last night. Its mostly the SAME issues tho with him. He goes behind the net and holds onto the puck for far too long and winds up throwing it to an opposing player who has a good scoring chance.

The saves from last night MORE then make up for it, but i REALLY wish he'd stop making those plays. Honestly, i dont think my heart can take much more.

Old
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
is bergie up for good now with the recent strong play? how has he looked too?

Old
03-17-2006, 03:12 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
I think he has looked fantastic. I hope he is here to stay. He is fast, a good passer, and almost scored last night.

Old
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
1g, 3a in the last 2 games. None of them were pure skill or highlight reel, but he's using his speed, drive and on-ice smarts to generate offense. In the 24 games prior to having Bergie on his line, Yashin had 2 goals at even strength. Since Bergenheim got put on Yashin's line, Yashin has scored 3 ES goals in 2 games. On all 3 of those goals, Bergenheim had the primary assist.

But the best thing about him is, scoring isn't even his forte. He plays well in all three zones, a great combination of speed, smarts and a good physical game. He's shown these facets well, both in backchecking and when used on the PK. Plus he brings such a bundle of energy to every shift, it's infectious on his linemates and on the team. Just a very very complete player. If his hands were a little better and he could shoot off the pass better, he'd be amazing. But as it stands, he's a guy I love having on my team. Could be my favorite Islander and in a few years I'm pretty sure will be.

Old
03-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Riddick

i have decided almost ALL of these rooks need to hit the gym this summer. They look tiny compared to almost every other player.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Bourne14

Quote:

I agree. Some games they need to settle DP down on his puckhandling especially when there are alot of new defencemen in front of him.

I did not mind so much his decision to challenge Hossa on the break away but some of his decisions behind the net were quite poor. Maybe he was trying to help out his young defence to much which resulted in miscommunication.

Closed Thread