HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Comrie Trade Proposals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2003, 05:30 AM
  #126
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Buffalo gets bent over. They give up Afinogenov AND Kalinin? One or the other is over-paying for Comrie, without giving up both players.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 05:51 AM
  #127
hunter orange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Good god, Lowe would jump all over that....but there's no way Buffalo/ Carolina agree to it.

Maybe:

To Carolina:
Comrie

To Edmonton:
Kalinin, CAR 2nd, BUFF 3rd

To Buffalo:
Vasicek, Rita

hunter orange is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 05:53 AM
  #128
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Buffalo gets bent over. They give up Afinogenov AND Kalinin? One or the other is over-paying for Comrie, without giving up both players.
Your pathetic bias in all Oiler props nulls your opinion.

It is pretty close perhaps Edmonton sends a third or fourth to Buffalo and like a fifth to Carolina, but otherwise pretty damn close valuewise. The deal does actually make sense for Carolina as they are set up the middle for a long time - and adding a guy like Afino would make sense for them as he could be a great trigger man for Staal some day.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:06 AM
  #129
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Lowe, who is one of the most fiscaly responsible GMs in the league had to take the chance and offer up those bonuses to Comrie otherwise he would have lost him for NOTHING!!! If he could go back in time he would gladly make that deal again a thousand times. I think Lanny gets off on trying ot forcast the Oilers inevitable demise. :moon:

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:10 AM
  #130
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,552
vCash: 500
"We made it known to Kevin a month ago. We seriously thought this was going to be resolved more quickly because we expected the team's needs would demand it. We are more than surprised at the lack of effort. For that reason, we're frustrated."

Winter has said he's had talks with other teams so it may be fair to assume that Lowe just wants to let Comrie rott

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:40 AM
  #131
bucksoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Get real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
And Lowe deserves a kick in the groin from every other GM in the game for capitualtin to Comrie's original contract demands. I have zero sympathy for Lowe. He made his bed by giving Comrie the assinine bonus structure that he did, now its his time to sleep in it. Unfortunately all the other GMs will also have to live by this contract until the CBA kills outrageous bonuses to freshmen players.
Lowe didn't invent the standard, "1 mill base salary + performance bonus" contract. It is the standard for high profile rookies.

You might argue that Lowe shouldn't have applied it to a 3rd rounder, and while that is true, the counter argument is that Comrie was on the route to UFA status. He used that fact to bump up his case.

In the end, the contract was not completely out of line. I mean, it isn't like VanRyn rolled over and signed the first offer sent his way. Comrie used the same loophole, and made a nice return. Add to that that Lowe was further hand-cuffed cuz he knew Weight would be leaving, and cuz Comrie was a hometown hero. He did what any decent GM in that situation would do... sign the kid and prepare for hardball in three years.

To say that the first contract has any REAL bearing on this situation is kinda rediculous. Havlat also had a lucrative, incentive based rookie contract. So did Gaborik, so did Richards, so did..... The point being, that whether or not those players signed the next contract depended on their personality, their own feelings of what is fair, their agent, and their relationship with the team.

Comrie's strained relationship with Lowe and both sides pride is what is at play here now.... not some rookie contract negotiated under the threat of UFA status.

Anyway, if Lowe should get kicked in the cajones for that contract.... please name me five other GM's who've been screwed over by a similar "Van-Ryn loophole turned UFA" situation. WHat? You can't name 5 others? EXACTLY.

Lowe did what he had to in a VERY unique situation.

bucksoil is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:42 AM
  #132
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
As much as everyone is complaining about the contract, I would much rather have a player w/ heavy incentives then w/ a larger base. Makes the player have to go out and earn his $$$.

The kid hit his incentives and made the Oilers a better team last season, if he hadn't made his incentives, who knows how well the team would have done.

Did Lowe open Pandoras box? maybe, but at the time the deal looked good to both sides.

1 Q. for everyone here: Is this really a money issue or does he want out and is using $$ as a means to do it??\

Thoughts...

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:43 AM
  #133
bucksoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
And why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
"We made it known to Kevin a month ago. We seriously thought this was going to be resolved more quickly because we expected the team's needs would demand it. We are more than surprised at the lack of effort. For that reason, we're frustrated."

Winter has said he's had talks with other teams so it may be fair to assume that Lowe just wants to let Comrie rott
Why not... Lowe's stubbornness got him this far.... why back down now? For Lowe's own sake, he'd better wait as long as he feels he needs to for a decent return.

So what if the team struggles? It won't be any better with a diminished return. Besides, the team is at 30.8M payroll this year, so they can break even and roll happily into the CBA without Comrie.

The on-ice product may suffer, but this is a re-building year anyway.

bucksoil is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:48 AM
  #134
bucksoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
As much as everyone is complaining about the contract, I would much rather have a player w/ heavy incentives then w/ a larger base. Makes the player have to go out and earn his $$$.

The kid hit his incentives and made the Oilers a better team last season, if he hadn't made his incentives, who knows how well the team would have done.

Did Lowe open Pandoras box? maybe, but at the time the deal looked good to both sides.

1 Q. for everyone here: Is this really a money issue or does he want out and is using $$ as a means to do it??\

Thoughts...
The insult of the playoff criticism and the low-ball offer is the issue. It relates to pride caused by money, not money in and of itself.

Lowe: This kid screwed me over with a contract I wasn't thrilled with. He gave me only just enough effort to hit his bonuses this year. He wants to be paid like the go-to guy, but can't take the heat of it.

Comrie: I took this team on my shoulders. I played hurt for the second half of the year. Lowe criticizes me above all others, yet won't pony up and play me like the #1 centre that I am. Everyone is always on my back cuz I'm small. I want out so I can prove him wrong.

bucksoil is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:48 AM
  #135
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well from what I've read, and what I can guess - it isn't money. I mean yes money would have it's place as everything does. But it's almost like Comrie is holding out for an apology and Lowe won't give it to him. I was disapointed to hear that Comries party tried to set up a one on one meeting with Lowe and Lowe didn't accept - I mean there is no reason to close the lines of comunication. Winter the two-faced d!nk he is sure didn't hold true to the whole keep quiet thing did he! "There is no chance he signs. He will only sign with a team that he likes! blah blah blah".

There are lots of guys out there capable of stepping in and playing a top line role (a la Oates) on the market, and I think we should allow Comrie's hockey career to be destroyed and allow him to sit until hell freezes over (or a team makes an absolutely great offer).

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 06:51 AM
  #136
Kenadyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Asheboro, NC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
"We made it known to Kevin a month ago. We seriously thought this was going to be resolved more quickly because we expected the team's needs would demand it. We are more than surprised at the lack of effort. For that reason, we're frustrated."

Winter has said he's had talks with other teams so it may be fair to assume that Lowe just wants to let Comrie rott
So Winter is now determining what Comrie should be traded for from other teams? I have no doubt that Winter has contacted other teams about contract requirements for signing Comrie ONCE they obtain his rights.

However, these other teams that "Winter has said he has had talks with" won't obtain Comrie's rights until they make an offer to Kevin Lowe that works for the Oilers. Maybe Winter should "talk" to these other teams about upping their offer for Comrie. Otherwise, yeah, Lowe should let him "rott".

Kenadyan is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:01 AM
  #137
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
So are you with a very tasteless aviator
go look up the word "irony" in a dictionary... people who personally attack other posters are beyond classless.

and don't worry. i'm sure daddy was telling the truth when he said your kitty went to "live on a farm". everything will be ok...

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:06 AM
  #138
Shark Attack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
To Edmonton: Mike Ricci & Jim Fahey

To San Jose: Mike Comrie & Marc-Andre Bergeron

Ricci is a UFA-to-be (I'm thinking the Oilers would resign him), Comrie an RFA, Fahey and Bergeron are similar players, both young, but Fahey is obviously much better.

Comments?
Actually that is one of the better proposals to date. Deal, I will phone the Wilsons today!

CHomp, Chomp

Shark Attack is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:10 AM
  #139
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I've said this a million times, KLO, put your pride in a glass jar for a while and put it in the cupboard, behind the rock hard brown sugar that no human being can break up and make use of. You have the leagues worst #1 goalie, a horrid defense, less character than a man with no character and more uncertainty than a Iraqi child playing hop scotch on the street. Something needs to be done, I'm 19, and I'm finding grey hairs already. do something, and by something, I don't mean nothing. Fire MacT, trade Salo, trade Brewer, trade Mike Comrie even though he can do more for this team than the entire coaching staff put together. YOU ARE BEING SELFISH, YOUR PRIDE IS HURTING THIS COMMUNITY.:mad:
Kevin Lowe...stay the course. Don't let a manipulative self serving brat change the direction of the team. Let him chase college skirt in Michigan for an entire 2 or 3 years if that is what it takes to bring him down to size. (pun intended.) We want a good team, not a good player. He has value to other teams and don't waiver until you get that value. I don't care if Mike Comrie sits until he is a UFA. This is our team and if it takes not making the playoffs to show players that they don't run the show then I am willing to accept it. If Mike wants to quit hockey and push pencils for his Dad, then that is OK too.

Mike is all about the green and Kevin Lowe...KEEP THAT PRIDE>>>>IT MADE THIS COMMUNITY!!!!!

Slats432 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:11 AM
  #140
Shark Attack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I'd like some sort of compensation pick if we can't re-sign Ricci. What would be the most likely SJ line combos with Comrie in the line-up?
SJ says NO to compensation as Comrie is unsigned and not playing. Ricci is signed and playing. When was the last time a hold out forward (or player for that matter) come back into the year and have a good season??? Nothing additional. BTW if Edm wants a offensive guy, Fahey is better than Hannan.

CHomp, Chomp

Shark Attack is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:13 AM
  #141
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
it will always come back to Lowe's stubborn streak...

i agree with the statement "the oilers will not get equal value return for comrie". i think that's a guarantee. after all, it's hard to put a market value on "potential" - especially when discussing an undersized, whiny, 23 year old 30 goal scorer (an odd mix to say the least).

however, i disagree with any statement that suggests "the oilers will get fleeced in any comrie deal". why? because lowe is so damn stubborn that he really will let comrie's career evaporate before taking a hit on trading him.

comrie and winter better open their eyes to that possibility - and i think they are. statements along the lines of "we want to work with lowe for a mutual win" suggest they are starting to worry whether or not comrie will play hockey at all this year.

yes, the oilers will take a hit. no, they will not end up with zainullin.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:13 AM
  #142
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
who does he think he is?
Eric Lindros?

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:15 AM
  #143
Shark Attack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
Comrie, Rita

For

Sturm, Hannan
Not a chance, SJ gives up waaaaaaaaaaaay too much for an unsigned guy.

Chomp. CHomp

Shark Attack is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:17 AM
  #144
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Mike Comrie = Mini-Me Lindros

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:21 AM
  #145
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Lowe, who is one of the most fiscaly responsible GMs in the league had to take the chance and offer up those bonuses to Comrie otherwise he would have lost him for NOTHING!!! If he could go back in time he would gladly make that deal again a thousand times. I think Lanny gets off on trying ot forcast the Oilers inevitable demise. :moon:
Actually, I get off on the moronic drivel that come from some of the Oilers fans (you being one of them) on this subject. When are you going to finally admit that Comrie's value is getting lower and lower? Everyone else, including (finally) the Edmonton media are admitting to the fact that Comrie has painted the Oilers into a corner and they have little to no leverage.

The only leverage they have is to let Comrie sit. Oooooh, that's a ton of leverage. He's sitting on $3.5 mllion in bonus money from last season that the Oilers just coughed up. I don't think you're going to get him to sign for anything less than he wants as long as he has that money, so that leverage is really not that much leverage. Mean while Winter has Lowe's balls in a vise and is squeezing harder and harder with each game the Oilers play. The losses mount, the fans get ugly (and they are getting ugly already, just check out Oilfans.com), and the pressure mounts to put a competitive team on the ice. No leverage there on the agent's part. No leverage with the agent coming out in the media and burning Lowe and the Oilers with every word he says. Lowe has to sit tight and keep his mouth shut because every word he says further burns the relationship with Winter and Comrie and make it even less likely that Comrie gets dealt. And other GMs watch the relationship crash and burn and know they can get Comrie for nothing as sooner or later Lowe has to make a move to save some face.

Face it junior, you're in denial. Wake up and see what everyone else sees, even a lot of your own fans. Comrie is done in Edmonton. It is now damage control and the goal for Lowe is to get anything of value what so ever. If the last year's deals are any indication, the fans should be very worried.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:38 AM
  #146
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
I'm not talking raw stats i'm talking about what he's done at this stage of his career and IMO he's worth more than a 30 point player with a bad back. If the Oil have to make a one for one deal than i'd deal Comrie for Vrbata. Like Hossa said in a previous post Hemsky and Vrbata would be a great combo.The Oil badly need a trigger man....like Vrbata.
i think you are missing the point here. nobody would argue the fact that a healthy, signed comrie is worth more than either vasicek or vrbata. in that respect you are right. if there were no other factors lowe could land a very nice return for comrie.

unfortunately, there are many other factors.

in the NHL a 2 1/2 year pro hold-out who missed training camp, no matter how much potential, is not that valuable. also, there is the supply and demand factor. last spring many teams would have overpaid for comrie. in the fall, every team is a contender with the lineup they already have.

other GMs are going to use all of the comrie negatives (of which there are many) to devalue him... and it will work. the oilers will not come out on top in this issue. they can't. as fans we have to accept that, at best, they will come out "ok".

am i the only oiler fan with enough objectivity to understand this? come on... i thought we had more sense than that.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:54 AM
  #147
nikolai19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
If Allison is as bad as they say here in LA, the Kings could sure use a guy like Comrie.

nikolai19 is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:56 AM
  #148
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Whether there's pressure on Lowe to make a deal or not- if the offers aren't there, the offers aren't there. Period. Rich Winter's statements sure aren't going to make offers roll in, either. Does Lowe save any face by trading Comrie for Derek Zoolander? No. Is that going to help the team win? No. Does it make angry fans happy? No. No matter how bad things get for Lowe and the Oilers, doing that kind of deal makes things worse.

Comrie and Winter are doing a great job at making it hard for Lowe to trade Comrie, but I don't see how that helps Comrie any. This isn't going to help get him an NHL salary this season. It's more than likely going to mean his next contract gets done after the new CBA. Maybe that'll be to his advantage- but I kind of doubt it.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 07:58 AM
  #149
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Kevin Lowe...stay the course. Don't let a manipulative self serving brat change the direction of the team. Let him chase college skirt in Michigan for an entire 2 or 3 years if that is what it takes to bring him down to size. (pun intended.) We want a good team, not a good player. He has value to other teams and don't waiver until you get that value. I don't care if Mike Comrie sits until he is a UFA. This is our team and if it takes not making the playoffs to show players that they don't run the show then I am willing to accept it. If Mike wants to quit hockey and push pencils for his Dad, then that is OK too.

Mike is all about the green and Kevin Lowe...KEEP THAT PRIDE>>>>IT MADE THIS COMMUNITY!!!!!
Will someone from the Oilers side of this argument explain how Comrie's value is going to improve by Lowe making him sit? Comrie will be out of game shape and will be behind the NHL game. Every week he sits he takes another step backward to a team. How does that make him more attractive? Having him sit does not change his salary expectations. Any team that picks him up will have to deal with the short fall in his earnings this season. That doesn't look good to any team wanting him. That has to negatively affect his value, no matter how long he sits. The longer he sits the lower his value gets. Can someone elxplain HOW him sitting out has his value get any better?

Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
10-27-2003, 08:03 AM
  #150
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
I agree with buck here. I think that both sides have their "reasons" to feel sore at the current situation. That being said, I think it is time for both camps to act like MEN and put their pride aside and make a deal happen that will benefit both parties. Maybe not perfectly and sure, one of the two are going to have to blink in the end but, this "I'll show you who's boss" stance by Lowe is childish and sort of tarnishes the memory of a HOF d man as far as I am concerned and the "you owe me" and "without me your nothing" stance of Winter and Comries just makes them look greedy and spoiled.

So, Lowe may not get exactly what he wants in return for comrie up front (I would expect picks to be involved in this deal as well as a rostered player) and mikie may not get to go to his "dream team" but when all is said and done, the longer this takes the worse it makes BOTH parties look.

IGM is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.