Notices

Here's a Wild Idea

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 06:22 AM
BruinsGod II

vCash: 500
Here's a Wild Idea

Maxim Afinogenov in Buffalo is on the block .. He's been a healthy scratch the last 4 games. Buffalo is rumoured to be shopping him for minimal return ..
How's this for an idea . Hilbert for Afinogenov forming an all russian second line:
Samsonov - Zinojvev - Afinogenov
that would be a SCARY line to play against.
- Although I realize it will never happen and the line would most likely be softer then baby sheite it would be fun to watch .

Old
10-27-2003, 07:52 AM
neelynugs

max is all flash and no substance. he couldn't finish a term paper, let alone a scoring chance. he does have lots of talent with regards to skating and moves, but i don't think he'll ever amount to what people thought he might. i also don't think there's room for him in boston.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Jeff from Maine

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

I seem to remember those EXACT same things being said about a certain center who had all the talent but no finishing ability and no heart!

What was his name???

Oh yeah....BRIAN ROLSTON!

And...

* Sean O`Donnell was a useless #8 defenseman in NJ...
* Mike Knuble was a no talent 4th line checker...
* Glen Murray was a 22 goal one year and 16 the next wannabe goalscorer

Lots of guys blossom in new surroundings!

Later

Old
10-27-2003, 07:56 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

If Zinovjev and Bergeron keep playing the way they are, Samsonov picks up where he left off pre-injury, the top line provides steady scoring, and the role players like Green, McCarthy, Donato, Grosek, etc. keep playing the way they are, then I don't think you'll see a move for a forward anytime soon. Maybe a veteran down the line to load up for the playoffs, but not right now.

At this point, the #1 priority should be a mobile defender of some form.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:02 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Hmmm...

I seem to remember those EXACT same things being said about a certain center who had all the talent but no finishing ability and no heart!

What was his name???

Oh yeah....BRIAN ROLSTON!

And...

* Sean O`Donnell was a useless #8 defenseman in NJ...
* Mike Knuble was a no talent 4th line checker...
* Glen Murray was a 22 goal one year and 16 the next wannabe goalscorer

Lots of guys blossom in new surroundings!

Later
agree...i guess what vinnie said makes more sense. why waste our time getting a forward when our clear need is a two-way defender

Old
10-27-2003, 08:34 AM
ron jeremy jacobs

I would probably do that trade, from both standpoints.

Afinogenov is two years older than Hilbert, with several years and 265 games of experience in the league. He has never really played with talented players in Buffalo, so his numbers do not leap off the page (career highs of 21g, 19a 40 pts in 81 games in 01-02). But due to his length of tenure and the qualifying offer system in place right now requiring 10% annual raises, his price tag is going to start becoming onerous. Sure, Golisano says he will open the purse strings a bit now that he owns the Sabres, but Buffalo is farther from winning than we are, and they need to develop some legit first-liners before they start spending serious coin on second-line talents like Afinogenov. Hilbert, once he gets past his groin injury, could probably step in and give you 4/5 of what Afinogenov can give you, but at league minimum salary.

From the other perspective, Boston already has two rookie forwards playing prominent roles (yes, I am pencilling in Zinovjev over Trent Green at second-line center based on the one game he has played). Unless Hilbert is going to beat out Zinovjev for that job, we really are not going to be able to find room for him on this club, unless the plan is to rely on rookies for half of our offensive production. Adding another 24-year old forward with talent and experience who may still have significant upside to the mix would give us three lines that can score, each of which would bring a distinctly different style to the game. It would also allow Marty LaPointe to move to a fourth line with Trent Green and Sandy McCarthy, which would make that line capable enough to take a semi-regular shift rather than just fill in here or there.

Overall from the Boston standpoint, we give up a VERY promising asset in exchange for Buffalo's once-most-promising asset. We get a little older and more experienced but retain some serious upside potential. Buffalo cuts salary and gets younger, and gets our best prospect not now in the NHL, a guy who has consistently outperformed many more hyped players his age at every level (ahem, Jeff Taffe).

Old
10-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGod II
Maxim Afinogenov in Buffalo is on the block .. He's been a healthy scratch the last 4 games. .
Too bad we didn't just draft Afinogenov when we had the chance instead of the wasted pick Ben Clymer...

Trade for him now? Unless we don't have to give up much, pass.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Didn't Afinogenov have recent concussion problems that stalled his rising career? I think we should let Hilbert get over his injury and give him one more call up later in the year if we're doing well in the standings...then package him off if he's just so-so.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I don't think he's the kind of player we need. We've got plenty of speed in Samsonov, Bergeron, Zinojev, not to mention Samuelsson and others.

If the B's insist on adding a forward, I'd rather find a wing or center with some size (and skill). Give me a young Mike Knuble to eventually replace him or Lapointe and I'd be happy. Somebody who can chip in 20+ goals, take the body, get in front of the net. I think that's what the team chemistry is calling for right now.

Of course, if the idea is to pick him up for Hilbert, I would be interested. Beyond that, I'm not really interested in trading younger players.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:40 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

As much fun as a Anfinaginov, Sammy, Zinojev line might be to watch on nights when they are clicking. I'd have serious concerns leaving this line out there on a nightly basis in the Eastern Conferen. Yeah ist would be a quick and skilled line, but it also might be the smallest line in hockey, and when you get to a tough playoff or playoff type matchupp. I'm not sure they'd do much, and they might kill you on the defensive end. Plus you'll get the goons of the world taking liberties with the Sergei's

I love having the Sergei's together, but they need a tough guy like Marty to play on their wing. And Marty has some skill. Sure he's no sniper, but he has some skill

Old
10-27-2003, 02:25 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGod II
Maxim Afinogenov in Buffalo is on the block .. He's been a healthy scratch the last 4 games. Buffalo is rumoured to be shopping him for minimal return ..
How's this for an idea . Hilbert for Afinogenov forming an all russian second line:
Samsonov - Zinojvev - Afinogenov
that would be a SCARY line to play against.
- Although I realize it will never happen and the line would most likely be softer then baby sheite it would be fun to watch .
I like it alot but what happens if Zino and Maxi get a two for one deal on a flight to Siberia? Well, I guess Sammy would have his own line again.

Closed Thread