HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers VS Canadiens

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
Well Pitkanen is plus 3 with 4 shots on goal and an assist a little over halfway through the game...This is a great sign is he playing as well as those nice stats seem to say..?
Pitkanen was a possible healthy scratch tonight because he and Vandermeer have made a good deal of rookie mistakes. Vandermeer wound up scratched, and Pitkanen has seemed to respond well. He's played good enough defense and his offense tonight has been outstanding.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Pitkanen's moves are great!

Old
10-27-2003, 03:44 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
pitaken looks great in the offensive zone... he made some sweet moves...

how about that spinorama for williams???? behind the net to johnny... what a move... williams is a solid player

Old
10-27-2003, 03:46 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

hopefully this is Willie's break out year

Old
10-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
pitaken looks great in the offensive zone... he made some sweet moves...

how about that spinorama for williams???? behind the net to johnny... what a move... williams is a solid player
This only means one thing!!!!!

Old
10-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
AND the behind the net wrap around feed to Handzus. Williams was off to a hot start last year as well before getting injured, if he stays healthy (note: I do not think he is injury prone) he could have a break out year.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Pitkanen was a possible healthy scratch tonight because he and Vandermeer have made a good deal of rookie mistakes. Vandermeer wound up scratched, and Pitkanen has seemed to respond well. He's played good enough defense and his offense tonight has been outstanding.
Rookies make mistakes. He won't learn by sitting in the pressbox.
Let the kids make the mistakes in Oct & Nov. Then if they still make them in Jan, you have to sit them.
Joni has looked awesome tonite. By far his best game yet.
He sure reminds me of a young Brian Leetch!

Old
10-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Nikkowar

Ragnarsson on the PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-27-2003, 04:07 PM
PF

Hopefully Vandermeer will come back better after sitting, btw, during the first period did I actually hear the commentators mention something about Therien 'Creaming' some Habs player with a big hit or did I drift off for a minute and enter a crazy world of make believe?

Old
10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Nikkowar

ok boys,we've won this one. Esche with his first shutout of the season

Old
10-27-2003, 04:22 PM
FearTheFlyers

good to see us back on track

Old
10-27-2003, 04:24 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF
Hopefully Vandermeer will come back better after sitting, btw, during the first period did I actually hear the commentators mention something about Therien 'Creaming' some Habs player with a big hit or did I drift off for a minute and enter a crazy world of make believe?
it was supposed to be the hit of the game

Old
10-27-2003, 04:30 PM
PF

Hm, he's probably pissed at being put in the minors, hopefully it'll carry over for a little while. Always great to get a shutout for us, let's hope we don't follow it with some more 4GA games anytime soon.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Brad*

Very well played game by the Flyers, the Canadiens hardly got a sniff all night long.

Justin Williams was the best player for the Flyers out there tonight, he looked like a man possessed. Pitkanen also played very well and seemed to rebound very well after some shaky defensive games.

It's good to see John LeClair hit the ground running. I know it's only his first game but it's good to see he played the whole game and didn't miss a shift.

Nice job by Esche as well, he's making the goaltending battle very interesting.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:48 PM
MojoJojo

Hate to inject a little doom and gloom here, but the Habs played like complete crap all night. Our team looked a lot better than it would have against a disciplined team. I mean everyone all of a sudden seemed to be playing great, on all lines, at all positions. No one made bad turn overs, and we won practically every battle, because the Canadiens disappeared for most of the game.

Still, Esche Pitkanen and Williams all had great games.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Hate to inject a little doom and gloom here, but the Habs played like complete crap all night. Our team looked a lot better than it would have against a disciplined team. I mean everyone all of a sudden seemed to be playing great, on all lines, at all positions. No one made bad turn overs, and we won practically every battle, because the Canadiens disappeared for most of the game.

Still, Esche Pitkanen and Williams all had great games.
Yeah, but on the other half of the glass of water, the team was in a funk and after battling back to a tie and then a 5-0 win, they are out of it. Tonight's game was a confidence builder: for LeClair a great way to get out of the gate, Gagne scored, Pitkanen's play was stellar, and Esche played very well.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love

Really, I think that should read,

"Pitkanen was a possible healthy scratch tonight because Hitch likes to play mind games".

When Pitkanen makes a mistake it's a rookie mistake and he might lose PT.
When Rags commits a horrible turnover it "happens".
When Bundy commits a horrible turnover it doesn't overshadow his great "effort".

Pitkanen was leading the team in +/- going into tonights game. He's easily been our best offensive defensemen. He might have come close to being scratched again tonight, but it doesn't go beyond the reason I gave earlier.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage

"Pitkanen was a possible healthy scratch tonight because Hitch likes to play mind games".

When Bundy commits a horrible turnover it doesn't overshadow his great "effort".

Pitkanen was leading the team in +/- going into tonights game. He's easily been our best offensive defensemen. He might have come close to being scratched again tonight, but it doesn't go beyond the reason I gave earlier.
But Hitch has a much much better pulse of the team than any of us do. He's said that Pitkanen's adjustment has hit a bump in the road, which is expected, and that he's having some trouble making adjustments. You're probably right though that he's playing mind games, because if he was it defineately worked, Joni played a complete game tonight.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Teezax

I am impressed, they capitalized on turnovers, clogged the neutral zone, played a shut down system in their own end, were perfect on the special teams and did i mention they scored 5 goals while doing so? It's games like this that make us believe.
Cuttos to Esche for cutting their momentum early in the first, and throughout the game. Anxious to get a taste of the Debs and the Leaves this week.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
People say he has played shaky defense, but he leads our team in + -
so he can't be playing that bad defensively.
or maybe the opposition has not capitalized on his errors

Old
10-27-2003, 07:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
People say he has played shaky defense, but he leads our team in + -
so he can't be playing that bad defensively.
+/- tends to be an overrated stat. You don't have to be good defensively to have a good number.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage

is it more then just a considence that the only game Pitkanen was scratched the Flyers look clueless on both sides of the ice in that discusting 4-0 loss to LA?
have we ever had a denseman, who possesed so much skill with the puck? and hes only 20 years old. the kid is amazing.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
+/- tends to be an overrated stat. You don't have to be good defensively to have a good number.
if he was a -6 ppl allready would be saying he wasnt that good and isnt ready and would want him playing for the Phantoms.
Cant we for once enjoy a talented kid especially a defenseman like this we havent had in , damn i dont know how long.
Sometimes we focus on the negative way to freaking much.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Pitkanen made some very nice defensive plays tonight. I'd actually go as far as saying that his defensive game was signifigantly better than his offensive game tonight.

The one that sticks out in my mind is when there was a turnover and one of the Montreal forwards had a step on him, Pitkanen took one stride and was caught up, then in on motion took the guy off the puck with one arm, and turned back up ice.

He had a bad game in against Pho.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:07 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
if he was a -6 ppl allready would be saying he wasnt that good and isnt ready and would want him playing for the Phantoms.
Cant we for once enjoy a talented kid especially a defenseman like this we havent had in , damn i dont know how long.
Sometimes we focus on the negative way to freaking much.
I agree, Vandermeer had a -4 and that is a big reason he wasn't playing last night. Pitkanen +/- is a direct result of his hard work in helping the offence and defence. I've never seen a player at that age come in and dominate a blue line the way he has for us. He seems to play well with Rags as they both finished + 3 yesterday.

Closed Thread