HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aebischer is a good one!

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Is it me or does this kid look like Baby Patrick Roy ?
It's not uncommon for goaltenders to watch other goaltenders and pick up things they do and apply them to their own game. Add that to the fact that they had the same goaltending coach while in Colorado, and you're bound to see a lot of similarities between them.

He looked great tonight. If he can shake a little of the rust off and stay this hot, then he's going to carry Montreal hard into the playoffs. And as we all know, hot goaltenders are what make playoffs.

Old
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
It's not uncommon for goaltenders to watch other goaltenders and pick up things they do and apply them to their own game. Add that to the fact that they had the same goaltending coach while in Colorado, and you're bound to see a lot of similarities between them.

He looked great tonight. If he can shake a little of the rust off and stay this hot, then he's going to carry Montreal hard into the playoffs. And as we all know, hot goaltenders are what make playoffs.
Roy's style was that of François Allaire all the way. Allaire made Roy. So it's more of an Allaire job here. Melanson has another style. I wonder what will be made of him.

Old
03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
He looks to me like a 2003-04 Theo mixed with the no quit element of Roy.
And he's taller then Theo...at 6'1", he's taller then our past goaltenders, whick is a pretty good thing.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
No worries guys, as soon as Markov is back, our генера́л-пору́чик on defense, both our goalies will look like aces.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Belgian Fan

Nice to hear Abby did rather good on his first game. I do hope it works out for him on Montréal

Old
03-17-2006, 06:09 AM
sevil

I thought Abby was very weak. If you watch the game again, he fell down 5 times just moving side ways. there was no whistle in 10 minutes in the first, and that was because he couldnt catch the puck and stop play. Rebounds were terrible. YES he did stop three great shots in a row in the third but they were all rebounds. I dont blame him for any goals, I dont blame the d either. we have 10 periods in 4 games where we havent scored. and the only way we win them is with a shutout. but I am very doubtful of his overall game and i think i know why he gets paid what he does and why colorado gave him up for theo.
Huet to start in my books. until he proves he shouldnt.

The next ten are big.
Go Habs.
Sevil

Old
03-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Hockeymom67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
Nice to hear Abby did rather good on his first game. I do hope it works out for him on Montréal
I think Abby did amazingly well considering it was his first start as a Hab against a number 1 team and that he hadn't played for about a week...Did some good saves tonight ,too bad nobody there to back him up ...

Old
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil
I thought Abby was very weak. If you watch the game again, he fell down 5 times just moving side ways. there was no whistle in 10 minutes in the first, and that was because he couldnt catch the puck and stop play. Rebounds were terrible. YES he did stop three great shots in a row in the third but they were all rebounds. I dont blame him for any goals, I dont blame the d either. we have 10 periods in 4 games where we havent scored. and the only way we win them is with a shutout. but I am very doubtful of his overall game and i think i know why he gets paid what he does and why colorado gave him up for theo.
Huet to start in my books. until he proves he shouldnt.

The next ten are big.
Go Habs.
Sevil
I have to disagree big time with that. There was great flow in the first 10 minutes, and the first period as a whole was very even. Aebischer did have a little bit of trouble freezing pucks, but he tended to always be aware of where the puck was on the rebound, often directing it to corners.

I don't know what you mean by he "fell down" just moving side to side. He certainly didn't slip like Huet did costing us that huge goal against Tampa. (note, I'm not bashing Huet, just defending Aebi) Aebischer did all he could. That one shift of the Ribeiro line that led to a Canes' goal was a perfect example of how we were playing. They had like 3 amazing chances that Aebi stopped, and you'd think they'd learn to turn around and play some defense, but instead right after they give up another 2-on-1.

The loss was certainly in no way his fault. We need Markov back to lead this defense.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
No worries guys, as soon as Markov is back, our генера́л-пору́чик on defense, both our goalies will look like aces.
Who ? He's дедушка already

Old
03-17-2006, 07:26 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
People blame the D, but you should look at the wingers first. They were the ones missing the assignments, specially on the boards.
I agree with you on that one.

There is also a trend I see since before the Olympic break, which I don't like at all about the wingers : Except for our 4th line, for Higgins and for Perez (who do that without much success), all the other wingers are waiting for the puck to come to them instead of skating and fighthing for it. I'ts especially true for Zednik, Bulis and Kovalev. It's ok that some have that type of game and positionning, but there is too much in the Habs lineup right now.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:26 AM
sevil

ACtually..if you watched the game again. at one point he was sitting on his a ss looking at the back of the net. while the carolina guy had the puck trying to come around. he fell. he also played the puck to the corner where only a hurricane player was and he made a good pad save. I am not hanging the guy after one game. I will watch him play the rest of the season before i make my mind up. but first impressions not good. check the stats on shots, and just watch his rebounds. I am not saying he is done and gone, but I didnt like what i saw in his basics.

sevil

Last edited by sevil: 03-17-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
I agree with you on that one.

There is also a trend I see since before the Olympic break, which I don't like at all about the wingers : Except for our 4th line, for Higgins and for Perez (who do that without much success), all the other wingers are waiting for the puck to come to them instead of skating and fighthing for it. I'ts especially true for Zednik, Bulis and Kovalev. It's ok that some have that type of game and positionning, but there is too much in the Habs lineup right now.
This is very true. I was trying to figure out last night while watching the game what it was that made the Habs look like they're not trying.

And this essentially sums it up. Our players wait for the puck to come to them, and then come alive. Except for a couple of guys like Begin, Higgins, Bonk, and Plekanec, this is true. If a pass is a little bit away from them, they'll watch it get intercepted, and then peel back. The last 2 games we have refused to make that extra effort and to dart towards pucks - even if it means having to fight someone off to get to it.

When we were good, we were always trying to get the puck. As the expression goes, "They can't score when we control the puck." But lately, that has fallen apart. Oh well, I'm obviously not giving up or anything, but we need a new spark. Time to line juggle, and maybe get out of this 4 even line system, reverting to putting our chips in 1 basket.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil
ACtually..if yo watched the game again. at one point he was sitting on his a ss looking at the back of the net. while the carolina guy had the puck trying to come around. he fell. he also played the puck to the corner where only a cp player was and he made a good pad save. I am not hanging the guy after one game. I will watch him play the rest of the season before i make my mind up. but first impressions not good. check the stats
"check the stats" will make people disregard your arguments, because certainly last night, the "stats" of which you speak don't tell the whole story.

I do remember the play you're talking about, and you're twisting it entirely. He didn't just "fall moving side to side." He had made a save with traffic in front, leaving him fallen in the back of the net, and he was watching the play behind the net to establish which side to bounce out to, which is exactly what he ended up doing.

And no, he obviously doesn't have perfect synchronicity with his defencemen yet, as you only get that from playing with them, and it was his first game.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Coming from an outside observer, I honestly didn't understand the purpose of the Theodore/Abby trade. It seemed obvious that Theodore needed to get out of Montreal, but why acquire another young starting goaltender when Huet has played so well this season? A 2.27 GAA and .927 save percentage with 5 shutouts is pretty impressive.

Isn't a move like this going to tell Huet that the Montreal management doesn't think too highly of his ability/potential?

Don't the numbers that Huet put up this season earn him the opportunity to take the team into the playoffs?

Also, I though Danis was more than adequate as the backup as well.

Seems to me that Theodore should have been traded for some offensive or defensive help and not a netminder or am I missing something?

Old
03-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Coming from an outside observer, I honestly didn't understand the purpose of the Theodore/Abby trade. It seemed obvious that Theodore needed to get out of Montreal, but why acquire another young starting goaltender when Huet has played so well this season? A 2.27 GAA and .927 save percentage with 5 shutouts is pretty impressive.

Isn't a move like this going to tell Huet that the Montreal management doesn't think too highly of his ability/potential?

Don't the numbers that Huet put up this season earn him the opportunity to take the team into the playoffs?

Also, I though Danis was more than adequate as the backup as well.

Seems to me that Theodore should have been traded for some offensive or defensive help and not a netminder or am I missing something?
Totallly agree and that has absolutely nothing to do with yesterday's game, 'cause he wasn't that bad like one poster said, he was pretty good except the 2nd goal where he was all over the place. Obviously it's your first game and you try to do too much, and that's what he did yesterday. He'll be good. Though, he needs to adjust his shirt more, I don't know if you remember the first period, we saw Aebi on his side and he looked like he was 350 pounds or something with that big beer belly....

Bu serioulsy, just remember that Abby was one of the best goalie since January, the AVS are not the team they were before, when you see Brisebois playing 20ish minutes per game and most posters are saying that he's still such a liability and Blake not being the player he used to be, you know that Aebi was a big part of their success.

Having said that, we would've need a forward or a d-man way before a goalie, 'cause if it's not Huet well I like Danis very much. Now I have the feeling that we will have to trade either one of those three without getting much in return.....

And I still hate the message it was send to Huet and our young goalies as well.

Old
03-17-2006, 08:23 AM
sevil

Wow..somepeople like misrepresenting. I didnt say he was bad, or that i would get rid of him or i regret the trade. My opinion which i am entitled to is i see a lot of fundamentals that need work. everygoalie is going to make some great saves. last night the vegas favorite to win the cup senators took on a goalie that was described by the game announcers as AHL at best and will not last long in the NHL and the nobody goalie got the win. I like Huets rebound control better, I like his speed and body control better, i dont like huets puck playing behind the net. but if i was picking a goalie to carry us into the playoffs it would be Huet.

my opinion

Sevil

Old
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Darz

Aebischer looked O.K., and I don't think a true assessment can be made on one game, but I would feel much more comfortable with Huet getting the start Saturday.

I'm wondering when the last time a Montreal goalie allowed five goals in a game and was named one of the three stars. Again, Aebisher played O.K., but I think that his being named the third star was a bit forced.

03-17-2006, 09:31 AM
wildone26*

Aebischer played pretty well still I thought, but the 3rd star was not deserved. Gerber even deserved it more than him, although from the Olympics Gerber knows what it is like to play second fiddle to Aebischer. Huet should start the next game, then go back to Abby the next game unless Huet gets a shutout, something like that.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Coming from an outside observer, I honestly didn't understand the purpose of the Theodore/Abby trade. It seemed obvious that Theodore needed to get out of Montreal, but why acquire another young starting goaltender when Huet has played so well this season?
Because the goaltending cupboard was close to bare. Yann Danis, with all of 6 NHL games experience, would've been the backup goaltender. Huet, impressive as he's been, is only in his second full NHL season and this is the first time he's been viewed as a #1. The jury's still out on whether Huet will turn out to be a capable goaltender for a number of years or whether he's just on a hot streak. Carey Price is minimum five years away from taking on an NHL role. There's also the issue of a killer stretch schedule; it wouldn't have been wise to try to ride Huet all the way through and expect him to have anything left come playoffs. Finally, I believe Huet is RFA at the end of the season. Without another option Huet could've held the team hostage (not saying he would or wouldn't, I don't know).

It made perfect sense to acquire a capable goaltender for the short and medium terms.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Shabutie

Maybe 1 goal last night was Abies' fault.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Aebi has a rebound-control problem. He leaves juicy rebounds out there, and relies on the D to clear the puck out.

He also has an anger-management problem. If you can get under his skin, you can really get him off his game.

I am glad to hear, though, that most of you aren't ready to crucify him after only one loss (he has plenty more in him! LOL, just kidding.)

Old
03-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
Finally, I believe Huet is RFA at the end of the season. Without another option Huet could've held the team hostage (not saying he would or wouldn't, I don't know).
Just to clarify...

Huet is a UFA at the end of the season and Aebischer is an RFA.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:23 AM
pelts35.com

Thanks for the feedback. Again, I just found it odd that they would go out and trade for a starter when it appears that Huet has been taking the steps to be an NHL starter. Personally, I think this sends a message to him that management doesn't think he is capable.

Regarding the comments about if this is a hot streak or if he is capable of being a number one, I'm tired of the arguments that you need a "proven" guy. Until a guy is given the chance to prove himself, how can be become a proven player?

I agree with Bubba that he does have a temper/anger management problem and can be thrown off his game if the opposing team gets a little physical with him. He also does not rebound well after giving up a soft goal.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Aebischer looked O.K., and I don't think a true assessment can be made on one game, but I would feel much more comfortable with Huet getting the start Saturday.

I'm wondering when the last time a Montreal goalie allowed five goals in a game and was named one of the three stars. Again, Aebisher played O.K., but I think that his being named the third star was a bit forced.

I dont think it was forced.. Had it been Theo in nets, we would of lost 15-1, some of the stops he made were just beautiful, and the Canes kept on getting 3-4-5 chances in a row. theirs only so much a goalie can do. If your defence cant take a man or clear the puck, eventually the puck will end up in the net

Old
03-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
He looks to me like a 2003-04 Theo mixed with the no quit element of Roy.

Okay, that's why he quit playing for the Habs because his ego clashed with Tremblay's, and why he quit playing hockey for good after getting owned by Minnesota in Games 5, 6, and 7 of the 2003 Western Conference Semi-Final.

That aside, Abby was the victim of terrible playing in front of him. No one can fault him for what happened.

Closed Thread