HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aebischer is a good one!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
  #51
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX


Okay, that's why he quit playing for the Habs because his ego clashed with Tremblay's, and why he quit playing hockey for good after getting owned by Minnesota in Games 5, 6, and 7 of the 2003 Western Conference Semi-Final.

That aside, Abby was the victim of terrible playing in front of him. No one can fault him for what happened.
I meant his no quit element on the ice.. where he would never quit on a play.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 03:48 PM
  #52
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,345
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Aebischer was aquired because Montreal needed a goaltender with playoff experience, because this team and its fanbase is sick and tired of inconsistant goaltending, so they got the closest thing they could find to a sure thing to give them at least serviceable goaltending for the rest of the year. Management wanted to see what this team really had, without goaltending being the thing that was the constant achillies heel. There were a few games against Carolina this year that the goaltending mandated the pace of the game, because Montreal forwards were afraid to get too deep in the offensive zone because they knew that if Carolina hit the puck in transition, they were likely to score. You can't have forwards playing afraid of their goaltender, and moving Theodore was an addition by subtraction.

I can only imagine what would happen if Huet, despite how good he has been, would have imploded when given the load of a starting goaltender and became "the guy" in Montreal. He has had a great stretch of games this year, but that does not a starting goaltender make. Obviously Montreal management thinks that this team can compete, and they wanted to make goaltending a non-factor in deciding the rest of the season so they made a move to aquire a player that is deadly consistant, and are going to let the team dictate what they do with the rest of the year. I like that approach, because after the Theodore fiasco the last thing this team needs is another goaltender on the fritz.

That's not to say that Huet might not be the long term answer, it's just to say that he's not what the team feels comfortable with behind them right now. They will play hard for the "new" guy, to see what he has. If he doesn't disappoint, this team is going to be scary.

I swear, Montreal got a lot of heat for the Carey Price selection but i'm liking it more and more. It's almost like they predicted the Theodore meltdown before it even happened.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
  #53
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
it may look as if his rebound control was bad, but it is possible he is used to kicking them out far to aid the defensemen of the Avalanche because in the west a rebound is like a pass that leads off a rush.

Rise from the Ashes is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
  #54
HabsBaby18*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brossard
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Well, Theo wasn't the bounce master himself.
I was sarcastic

HabsBaby18* is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 05:19 PM
  #55
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 500
The goaltending provided by Huet and Aebischer really isn't bad compared to what it might have been if Gainey had kept both Théo and Garon. Please note:

Quote:
Kings goalie Matthieu Garon, who gave up three goals on the first five shots he faced in Tuesday night's 6-2 loss against Phoenix, fell behind 2-0 on Dallas' first five shots.
So please stop grumbling.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 06:22 PM
  #56
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
The goaltending provided by Huet and Aebischer really isn't bad compared to what it might have been if Gainey had kept both Théo and Garon. Please note:



So please stop grumbling.
And they are way cheaper.

Also , excellent post by Caniacforever.
One more thing I would add, and it's only a guess, but Huet being UFA having no other NHL goalie in the system would have meant overpaying, again, for a goalie.

sXe is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
  #57
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Don't forget I started it all.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=231343

sXe is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 06:28 PM
  #58
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,860
vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Don't forget I started it all.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=231343
lol
you did, you did

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
  #59
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Just to clarify...

Huet is a UFA at the end of the season and Aebischer is an RFA.
Seriously??? Everywhere I go, states that Huet is RFA... due to the fact that he does not have the minimal amount of years in the league (this is his third year in the NHL)... I know he's close in age...

Just to let you know what I've understood before your post.. is that he had one year on his contract, then in the summer is his last year of RFA eligiblity (4 years will have been passed at that point)...

Regardless, I believe Huet is seriously contemplating a return to Switzerland, as his wife is a touch homesick (this of course was prior to Huet's miraculous revival of a very dead squad a few months back).

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
  #60
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Just to clarify...

Huet is a UFA at the end of the season and Aebischer is an RFA.
I'm pretty sure they are both RFAs

x-bob is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
  #61
bd007h*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,135
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bd007h* Send a message via MSN to bd007h*
Same thing happened to Noronen in Vancouver. Unfortunately the coach probably won't start him again for awhile

bd007h* is offline  
Old
03-17-2006, 08:02 PM
  #62
Strohmachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Aebisher played great - Team quit after 3rd Carolina goal.
I think Huet will start against Pens though.

Strohmachine is offline  
Old
03-18-2006, 05:34 PM
  #63
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Aebischer was aquired because Montreal needed a goaltender with playoff experience, because this team and its fanbase is sick and tired of inconsistant goaltending, so they got the closest thing they could find to a sure thing to give them at least serviceable goaltending for the rest of the year. Management wanted to see what this team really had, without goaltending being the thing that was the constant achillies heel. There were a few games against Carolina this year that the goaltending mandated the pace of the game, because Montreal forwards were afraid to get too deep in the offensive zone because they knew that if Carolina hit the puck in transition, they were likely to score. You can't have forwards playing afraid of their goaltender, and moving Theodore was an addition by subtraction.

I can only imagine what would happen if Huet, despite how good he has been, would have imploded when given the load of a starting goaltender and became "the guy" in Montreal. He has had a great stretch of games this year, but that does not a starting goaltender make. Obviously Montreal management thinks that this team can compete, and they wanted to make goaltending a non-factor in deciding the rest of the season so they made a move to aquire a player that is deadly consistant, and are going to let the team dictate what they do with the rest of the year. I like that approach, because after the Theodore fiasco the last thing this team needs is another goaltender on the fritz.

That's not to say that Huet might not be the long term answer, it's just to say that he's not what the team feels comfortable with behind them right now. They will play hard for the "new" guy, to see what he has. If he doesn't disappoint, this team is going to be scary.

I swear, Montreal got a lot of heat for the Carey Price selection but i'm liking it more and more. It's almost like they predicted the Theodore meltdown before it even happened.
I dont agree. I think the team is comfortable with Huet and they only got Aebischer as somebody to keep Huet from getting tired, but they didnt really care what they got, they just wanted rid of Theo and his huge contract, the would hae taken a chocolate bar in exchange probably, Aebischer is not neccessarily that important for them to have.

wildone26* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.