HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Umberger

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 08:07 AM
facts

vCash: 500
Umberger

Man is this guy having a great rookie year. He looks very comfortable out there doesn't he. His goal against the panthers was great and his overall game of late has been fantastic.
I am thankful that he wasn't traded at the deadline, although I think that it helped him. Did it seem like Clarkie was showcasing him a bit prior. Lots of special team work (more than usual) and generally more ice. I recognize that is how pplayers are rewarded with extra ice but I am wondering if the showcasing allowed for him to excel even more? What do you think guys?

Old
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts
Man is this guy having a great rookie year. He looks very comfortable out there doesn't he. His goal against the panthers was great and his overall game of late has been fantastic.
I am thankful that he wasn't traded at the deadline, although I think that it helped him. Did it seem like Clarkie was showcasing him a bit prior. Lots of special team work (more than usual) and generally more ice. I recognize that is how pplayers are rewarded with extra ice but I am wondering if the showcasing allowed for him to excel even more? What do you think guys?
Hitch hands out the ice time not Clarke. It was probably due to the fact that he was one of the only players playing well.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
TheKingPin

Umberger is playing great. I was one of the people who said we should trade him but it looks like he has the potential to do some big things. Looks like he is getting Carter going too. And Richards is just Richards...awesome player

Old
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
TMSFLYERS

I also thought that he was being showcased for a trade. After seeing the deals that were done ,unless we could have gotten Samsonov, (like Witt for 2 first round picks??); I'm glad we kept him. With the new salary cap you are going to have to build through the draft(difficult task in NHL) and at 23 he could turn out to be a real steal for the Flyers as a free agent signing. He has jump, a real nice shot, and some good size and strength. I'm skeptical as to why the other teams gave up on him so quickly? Tonight is a big game I want to see the same effort as they showed versus Fla we have to start building some momentum heading towards the playoffs. As much as I want Niittymaki to be the starting goalie right now we just need what we got Wed from Esche. I originally thought that Ottawa was the only team better than the Flyers but clearly Carolina is for real and that Buffalo squad can flat out skate. I would not feel very confident playing any of those teams in a 7 game series. Excuses are lame but you can't disregard the number of injuries that have plaqued the Flyers; Handzus is such an important member of that team I'm really hoping that we can gain some momentum and Hitch will finally have all his pistons firing come playoff time. We will see.. Any word on Kim Johnsson??

Old
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Very Impressed with Umberger, He didn't recieve as much hype as Richards and Carter probably because he wasn't a product of our scouting system, but he has impressed me probably more then carter.

Old
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Why didnt the canucks want this guy or more accurately why didnt brian burke want him?

Old
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Umberger has been a diamond in the rough and hats off to the coaching staff and scouting crew for getting this guy

Old
03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Why didnt the canucks want this guy or more accurately why didnt brian burke want him?
It wasn't that they didn't want him, they tried to lowball him.

They signed Kesler, a lower first round pick, prior to signing Umberger. Then they offered Umberger less money than they offered Kesler. Umberger's agent wanted Burke to pay Umberger the same as Kesler. Burke refused. Neither side backed down so Burke traded his rights to the Rangers along with a pick for Rucinsky a few months before he became a UFA. I'm not sure if the Rangers lowballed him or if he just didn't want to pay for NYR, but he waited out the few months and then signed with Philly for the rookie max.

Old
03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
Very Impressed with Umberger, He didn't recieve as much hype as Richards and Carter probably because he wasn't a product of our scouting system, but he has impressed me probably more then carter.
He's also a few years older. Carter will blow us all away in a year or two with his offensive game.

Old
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit
It wasn't that they didn't want him, they tried to lowball him.

They signed Kesler, a lower first round pick, prior to signing Umberger. Then they offered Umberger less money than they offered Kesler. Umberger's agent wanted Burke to pay Umberger the same as Kesler. Burke refused. Neither side backed down so Burke traded his rights to the Rangers along with a pick for Rucinsky a few months before he became a UFA. I'm not sure if the Rangers lowballed him or if he just didn't want to pay for NYR, but he waited out the few months and then signed with Philly for the rookie max.

NYR didn't really attempt to sign him, they wanted the draft pick they got from Umberger leaving as a free agent. Basically it was 2 draft picks for rucinsky.

Old
03-18-2006, 06:54 PM
seanaynay
One in a Milan

Hitch has to give Carter more than 10 mins a game.

And when he does give him a shot at top line or extra mins, if Carter doesnt do anything spectacular with in a few of those extra shifts, he gets demoted once again.

Old
03-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaynay
Hitch has to give Carter more than 10 mins a game.

And when he does give him a shot at top line or extra mins, if Carter doesnt do anything spectacular with in a few of those extra shifts, he gets demoted once again.
Both players have proven tonight why they should get more icetime. They're both stepping up right now and scoring goals.

Old
03-18-2006, 08:48 PM
FlyersFanJS

i agree, he has been playing very solid all year, plus i really like that line of R.J.-Carter-Dimi

Old
03-18-2006, 09:12 PM
priceperlb*

Maybe Clarke got his second line of scoring picking up Dimebag?

Old
03-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Gert B Frobe

Umberger, Carter, Dimitrakos looks like a good line at this point. Hopefully these guys stay together for a while and get some good minutes. With Handzus and Kapanen back in the lineup that makes for three good lines. Umberger was somewhat of a dark horse in training camp but has really stepped up...

Kingfish said he was going to be this season's big surprise at the start of training camp.

Old
03-18-2006, 10:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Why is everyone acting surprised at how well Umberger has played for us? Did any of you watch the Phantoms last year? He was the team's best player. It shouldn't surprise anyone how well Umberger has been playing.

It also seems that as of recent, Hitch has been using the Umberger/Carter line at lot more and they're producing. It only took nearly 70 games for butterball to clue in that these kids can play, but I'm glad that they're seeing results. If they aren't the 2nd line behind Forsberg next year, then we know that Hitch doesn't like these guys. They've earned their shot and I'm glad they're making the most of it. Now, maybe it's time this offseason that we think about doing the unthinkable....trading Handzus for a top pairing defenseman.

Old
03-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

The only problem with Carter and Umberger getting more playing time is that players like Brian Savage won't be able to play 16 minutes a game. If Carter and Umberger play more minutes, they score more and Savage gets less playing time with which he scores the same amount, that being zero. So, if they play more, the Flyers get more points, and we don't want that to happen, because, um, well,... maybe Hitch wants a better draft pick? Maybe he wants to help keep their value down, so as to save money on their next contracts? Maybe Hitch is trying to show Savage that no matter how much he plays, he has no offense, and so he should retire? Maybe Savage has pictures of Hitchcock down in the van by the river with Matt Foley?

Sorry, I've been on a Matt Foley kick lately.

Old
03-18-2006, 11:37 PM
priceperlb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
The only problem with Carter and Umberger getting more playing time is that players like Brian Savage won't be able to play 16 minutes a game. If Carter and Umberger play more minutes, they score more and Savage gets less playing time with which he scores the same amount, that being zero. So, if they play more, the Flyers get more points, and we don't want that to happen, because, um, well,... maybe Hitch wants a better draft pick? Maybe he wants to help keep their value down, so as to save money on their next contracts? Maybe Hitch is trying to show Savage that no matter how much he plays, he has no offense, and so he should retire? Maybe Savage has pictures of Hitchcock down in the van by the river with Matt Foley?

Sorry, I've been on a Matt Foley kick lately.
Preach on Bruthuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm friggin' dying reading this!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread