HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Gainey put Perezhogin in the press box

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
Should Gainey put Perezhogin in the press box

How many more games until Gainey makes Perezhogin watch a couple from the press box? The guy isn't putting any points on the board, playing weak defensively, taking stupid penalties, etc. etc. I'm not going to say we have another Marcel Hossa on our hands yet, but......

I mean since recording 7 points in his first 8 games, his stats look pretty pathetic for a supposed offensive player....

43 games 4 goals 3 assists 7 points. Granted in alot of those games his ice time has been very limited, but I gotta think something has got to give.

I don't think Gainey should exactly give up on him, but a couple games in the press box might straighted him out.

03-17-2006, 08:55 AM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
How many more games until Gainey makes Perezhogin watch a couple from the press box? The guy isn't putting any points on the board, playing weak defensively, taking stupid penalties, etc. etc. I'm not going to say we have another Marcel Hossa on our hands yet, but......

I mean since recording 7 points in his first 8 games, his stats look pretty pathetic for a supposed offensive player....

43 games 4 goals 3 assists 7 points. Granted in alot of those games his ice time has been very limited, but I gotta think something has got to give.

I don't think Gainey should exactly give up on him, but a couple games in the press box might straighted him out.

I agree Perez is not producing but the problem is if he sits Perez he needs to sit almost every forward. Almost none of them are producing.

Old
03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:

Well, maybe your right. As much as I like Perez, he's not living up to my expectations so far...

But then, wouldn't Ryder deserves the same treatment? I mean, he's supposed to score goals and he ain't. He too is playing really weak defensively. And Bonk too. Maybe he's good defensively, but he's not putting any points on the board either. And, sincerely, we all thought that he would at least have 10 goals if not 20 so far this season.

Maybe all Perez needs is a couple of games on the fourth line...

Old
03-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
I agree Perez is not producing but the problem is if he sits Perez he needs to sit almost every forward. Almost none of them are producing.

it wouldn't be based on production. It would be based on effort! wait a minnute...after yesterdays 3rd period...lots of other fowards would be in the press box because of lack of effort! lol

Old
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Teufelsdreck

Perezhogin may be a project, but who could take his place, one of the pluggers? The Habs aren't brimming with talent.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Bob in Niagara

You would have thought sending him to Hamilton might have done the trick, but I guess that didn't work either. He did make a nifty move last night and nearly scored. It shows the talent the guy has.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Darz

I agree we have alot of forwards that are in an offensive slump right now, and could probabely use a couple games in the press box, but Perezhogin has, imo, gone to the top of the list. He hasn't seemed to respond to the extra ice time, and I think a couple games in the press box might be more effective than demoting him to the fourth line.

I mean I think when comparing him to Ryder, neither player has played well over the past while but....

Perezhogin...........last 43 games 4 goals 3 assists 7 points
last 24 games 1 goal 1 assist 2 points

Ryder.................last 43 games 14 goals 12 assists 26 points
last 24 games 6 goals 7 assists 13 points

Old
03-17-2006, 09:17 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Perezhogin...........last 43 games 4 goals 3 assists 7 points
last 24 games 1 goal 1 assist 2 points

Ryder.................last 43 games 14 goals 12 assists 26 points
last 24 games 6 goals 7 assists 13 points
I agree with you. But still, even if Perez was to be put in the press box, who would take his place? Downey? Sundstrom?

And don't forget that the guy is also a rookie. Not every rookies are Ovechkin's or Crosby's.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
hab

I dont know about the press box, but maybe the 3rd or fourth line. he hasnt done anything to be playing on our 1st or 2nd lines

Old
03-17-2006, 09:29 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I dont know about the press box, but maybe the 3rd or fourth line. he hasnt done anything to be playing on our 1st or 2nd lines
Problem is we dont have anybody to replace Perez or Ryder or Zednik. We're stuck with them.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
I agree with you. But still, even if Perez was to be put in the press box, who would take his place? Downey? Sundstrom?
Not that I'm a lineup genius, but I would maybe try putting Kovalev, Plekanec and Ribeiro on the second line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
And don't forget that the guy is also a rookie. Not every rookies are Ovechkin's or Crosby's.
Agreed, and like I said, I don't want to see Gainey give up on him. Sometimes a couple games in the press box is just what the doctor order. I would rather see him sit a couple games and be given another shot on one of the top lines, than spend the next 10-12 games on the fourth line.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:34 AM
HCH

Perezhogin is getting a lot of quality shots on goal and works hard to get those chances. He is working in the corners and his defensive positioning is improving (he is still a +1 and tied for 7th on the team). Once in a while he waits for a pass on the breakout instead of moving to the puck and the defender will beat him to it. That's where he seems to take the penalties.

There are a lot of guys on the team who are putting in less of an effort than Perezhoging. I say stick with the guy. He has too much talent and one day the flood gates will open.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Scotianhab

Maybe stick him on the top line with Koivu & Kovalev and see if he can break out. Our top line isin't doing anything right now and this line played well early on in the season. If after a couple games he doesn't do anything then maybe sit him out a couple games or demote him to the 4th line.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Problem is we dont have anybody to replace Perez or Ryder or Zednik. We're stuck with them.
Kostitsyn?

Old
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab
Maybe stick him on the top line with Koivu & Kovalev and see if he can break out. Our top line isin't doing anything right now and this line played well early on in the season. If after a couple games he doesn't do anything then maybe sit him out a couple games or demote him to the 4th line.
This might work. At least the kid is pretty creative. I'd prefer him in the lineup to Zednik who seems to have lost all creativity and carries the puck to the boards and generally loses it.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM

I think taking him off the 1st line was the dumbest move, and he hasn't been the same since.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I think taking him off the 1st line was the dumbest move, and he hasn't been the same since.
Agreed. I would re-unite that line and put Plekanec with Higgins and Ryder on the second line. The 2 kids could make up for the loafer easily.

Cap

Old
03-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Kostitsyn?
To me that's the solution. Unfortunately, it seems he's been injured since he missed the Dogs' last few games (according to other posters in another thread last night).

Old
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Habs

Quote:
He's brutal, send him to the AHL to gain some smarts and skills.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Habsaku

I honestly dont know how we could jump start him. What I hate about all of this is he's been having good chances everygame but nothing seems to be going in for the guy. I still like the fact he's shown a lot of skill though. That move yesterday was awesome.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
I think putting the Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev wouldn't hurt for a game or two

OR

put him on the 4th line and let him think about what he needs to do.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Kafka

Quote:

Ryder is nearer the press box than Perezhogin is.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
Ryder is nearer the press box than Perezhogin is.
I could not disagree more vehemently with this statement.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
You could apply that kind of kindergarten logic to Marcel Hossa as well. I think Perezhogins problems are deeper than that. He is missing at least one or two golden opportunities a game when Kovalev or Ribeiro set him up right in front of the net. How is putting him with Koivu or Kovalev going to change that? I agree with most of the posters that this kid has potential but it's obvious that he needs more development at a lower level before he gets ruined like so many other talented players. I think another stint in the AHL where he's looked at to be the top offensive contributor wouldn't hurt him because his two points over the last 24 games on the second line just aren't getting it done. Personaly, I think Downey or Sundstrom could have equaled or exceeded those numbers playing that much time with Kovalev and Ribeiro. At the same time Gainey could call up Kostitsyn and get a good long look at his game and see how he reacts in the stretch run. I don't see how his production could be any worse than what Perezhogin is bringing to the table right now.

Last edited by Empireshark: 03-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark
You could apply that kind of kindergarten logic to Marcel Hossa as well. I think Perezhogins problems are deeper than that. He is missing at least one or two golden opportunities a game when Kovalev or Ribeiro set him up right in front of the net. How is putting him with Koivu or Kovalev going to change that? I agree with most of the posters that this kid has potential but it's obvious that he needs more development. I think another stint in the AHL where he's looked at to be the top offensive contributor wouldn't hurt him because his two points over the last stretch on the second line just aren't getting it done (yes, I'm sure Downey or Sundstrom could equal or exceed those numbers playing that much time with Kovalev and Ribeiro. At the same time Gainey could call up Kostitsyn and get a could long look at his game and see how he reacts in the stretch run. I don't see how his production could be any worse than what Perezhogin is bringing to the table right now.
Kindegarten logic? Yeah sure...I think you misunderstood what I wrote...

I'm not saying that reuniting him with Koivu and Kovalev now, would help him break out of his slump, i'm saying that at the time, that line was working perfectly, his confidence was sky high and he was playing his best hockey, I didn't agree with taking him off that line, and he simply hasn't looked the same since.

Whether you think that's kindergarten knowledge or not, doesn't matter, it is what it is.

As for demoting him, I don't know about that either...with Perezhogin right now, it's not about his abilities or lack there of, it's his confidence. Who knows what sending him down to the AHL would do to that What's important to note IMO, is at least he's getting scoring chances and creating chances for others, as long as that's consistent I think he should stay up

Closed Thread