HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to see the Rangers play in the first round?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to play in the first round?
Ottawa Senators 5 8.33%
Buffalo Sabres 9 15.00%
New Jersey Devils 46 76.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Who do you want to see the Rangers play in the first round?

With 16 games remaining it's still a bit early to see how things will fall into place. However, it seems likely that we'll be playing either New Jersey (if we win the division and get the 3rd seed), or Buffalo or Ottawa (if we finish 2nd in the division and get the 5th seed.) Leaving out the obvious fact that a series against the Devils would get us home ice, which of these 3 teams would you most like to meet in the first round.)

Last edited by broadwayblue: 03-17-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old
03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

If the Rangers finish 2nd they wont play the Senators, they'd play T-Bay. I don't think there is any way the Rangers can play Ottawa is if they fall to the 7 spot or Buffalo overtakes Ottawa and fall to the 4 spot. I think thats about right.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:46 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
If the Rangers finish 2nd they wont play the Senators, they'd play T-Bay. I don't think there is any way the Rangers can play Ottawa is if they fall to the 7 spot or Buffalo overtakes Ottawa and fall to the 4 spot. I think thats about right.
If the Rangers finish 2nd in the division they will most likely get the 5th seed. If Buffalo wins their division that would leave Ottawa with the 4th seed and they would host the Rangers in the first round. Look at the standing and you'll see that the Buffalo/Ottawa race is a very tight one with only 1 point separating them.

I edited my original post to clarify that I was referring to a possibility of the Rangers finishing 2nd in the division, not the conference.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Nemchinov13

There is a small chance that we finish below NJ. Obviously, NJ is the least of the three evils, so I'd pick NJ. But the other two... We'd be out in the 1st round if we happen to play either Buffalo or Ottawa. The difference is going to be in the number of games we play. Against Ottawa it'd be 4 or 5 games, against Buffalo, it'd be 5 or 6 games. Either way, we're out.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Not gonna vote because I'm a tad superstitious. This is one of those "Be Careful What You Wish For" choices.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:58 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
There is a small chance that we finish below NJ. Obviously, NJ is the least of the three evils, so I'd pick NJ. But the other two... We'd be out in the 1st round if we happen to play either Buffalo or Ottawa. The difference is going to be in the number of games we play. Against Ottawa it'd be 4 or 5 games, against Buffalo, it'd be 5 or 6 games. Either way, we're out.
yeah, NJ could surpass us. they would need to go something like 12-4 or better if we go 8-8. in all liklihood, if that happens we're probably looking at finishing with the #6 seed...unless philly totally tanks it down the stretch. while we have had success against NJ this season, they were a different team for most of those games. personally i would still take NJ in the first, but i don't see a huge difference between them and the others.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
yeah, NJ could surpass us. they would need to go something like 12-4 or better if we go 8-8. in all liklihood, if that happens we're probably looking at finishing with the #6 seed...unless philly totally tanks it down the stretch. while we have had success against NJ this season, they were a different team for most of those games. personally i would still take NJ in the first, but i don't see a huge difference between them and the others.
Goaltending between the three is on par. NJ might be a bit more physical. But Ottawa has a killer offense, hard forecheck and stifling defense. Buffalo is pretty much the same with slightly less offense. NJ has the least amount of offensive capability between the three. So, NJ is the least of the three evils.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
in the hall

Devs, other two teams are nasty

Old
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The number 9 team is 6 points behind the Devils. I'm not ready to give them the 6 seed yet.

Old
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
JerseyRangers

Don't forget that the Flyers the way they've been playing, could also easily slip to the 6th seed. Then if we win the division we could end up playing them. Of the possible teams to play the Flyers would be the easiest to beat, as long as the refs continue to call it like they have been. Jagr and Co. have been giving the Flyers d fits all season long. They'd have a field day against them in the playoffs.

Old
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

No thanks to a boring playoff series.

Buffalo.

At least if we loose it wouldn't have been 4-7 boring, defense, trap games.

1.Buffalo
2.Sens

3.Devils

Old
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Bretzky*

Why isn't there an option for the Flyers? The Devs are only 6 points behind them. They can easily be caught. Furthermore, I'd much rather play the Flyers than the Devils, Sabres, or Senators. I think we'd light their goalies up over a 7 game series.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:32 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I want NJ

we all Marty chokes in the playoffs vs us.

Closed Thread