HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake is the odd man out

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Islanders4Life*

vCash: 500
Blake is the odd man out

He is a good player on a bad team, time to take offers for him in the off season or he will soon go to the 3rd line and be only usefull as a penalty killer

Old
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
tool123

I would definately look into offers during the off season if I was the GM. He is at that age when you have to worry that his prime is beginning to fade. I wouldnt want to trade him when his value is on the downside.

But with a new GM coming in, he might overlook it for a season and then make a decision after a year in the books.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Now that the Isles have become a dynasty after four games of the newcomers, Blake suddenly gets demoted to the third line. Likewise, elsewhere he is ripped for going offsides (an obvious "has never played the game" comment) and he's "fading", time to ship him out. (That last observation is especially odd coming from an informed poster like you Tool. What do you want? An entire team of under 25ers? )

What weird timing to start calling for yet another head to roll. Weird, but predictable.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-17-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old
03-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Wow. I have to agree with Trots here. Maybe I'm biased because he always shreds the Sabres with his speed and timely scoring, but I don't see how this guy ever gets dropped to the third line, or traded away for that matter. Locked up for another year at 1.558 or whatever it is...Sounds like a deal to me.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Riddick

blake is pure heart and some skill. Sure, he screwed up HUGE tonight, but he's also been the spotlight in like 6games this season. If he's to be shopped, i say get a HUGE overpayment for him. Otherwise, theres no reason to consider moving him.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

he's "fading", time to ship him out. (That last observation is especially odd coming from an informed poster like you Tool. What do you want? An entire team of under 25ers? )
NO! all I said is look at offers if there any. If there is an opportunity to get full value for a player like Blake, then I think you really need to look into it. As far as him right now, there is definately fatigue and its understandable to go through this. He has played a lot of full speed hockey and also olympics this year when most were on break. He is human and not a machine so I agree not to bash him.

Old
03-18-2006, 12:54 AM
NYIsles1*

It's up to the next gm to determine the future of Jason Blake who is signed for next season.

Only thing wrong with Blake is he has not had that extra step since his rib injury (even after the concussion he came back and produced) which is very understandable.

Night in and out for years he's consistently been this teams most visible player who never takes a game off.

For the games he has won and for all the hard work he brings to this team every single night he's a standout as an example of what you want a player to be for your team, the only move with Blake should be a contract extension because twenty nine other teams would love to have him.

Old
03-18-2006, 06:07 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

i don't think that anyone doesn't appreciate Blake's work ethic, but let's face it, he's no game breaker and he's 32. his value will probably never be higher than it is right now, and i'd listen to offers for him.

i know that i might get skewered for this, but i'd rather not see him on the PP anymore. i'd rather see Yashin, Satan, York, Hunter, Nilsson, Bergenheim or Tambellini instead.

he is one of my favorite guys on the team, but his lack of polish drives me bananas sometimes.

Old
03-18-2006, 07:07 AM
BillD

We are talking about a third line energy player/PKer here who scores some nice goals by shooting many shots. He is definately expendable. Bergie has shown with his season at the Port and now getting some decent ice time on The Island that he is the upgraded version of Blake.
New GM has to view Blake as an asset that other teams would like to have, just like Scatch was valued by others very highly. He can be replaced and the loss of his obvious flaws will be an addition. His replacement can hopefully fill some gaps needed in terms of size and strength with more team oriented skillsets. We have that flexibility because Bates is just as able to play either wing as center.

Old
03-18-2006, 09:13 AM
KH1

Jesus, Blake has one bad game and all of the sudden it's time to ship him out. Thank god for Trots, I was getting afraid that I was the only one who remembered when he was the only half decent player on this team. It was about 2 months ago

Old
03-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
blake is pure heart and some skill. Sure, he screwed up HUGE tonight, but he's also been the spotlight in like 6games this season. If he's to be shopped, i say get a HUGE overpayment for him. Otherwise, theres no reason to consider moving him.
Agreed. If someone wants to go overboard with an offer, by all means listen. Or if there's an asset the new GM particularly covets and it's necessary to move Blake to acquire it, then sure. He's one of my favorite players and many nights has been our best player or our only player working. But he's not untouchable and in the right deal is moveable.

However, I see no reason to go out of our way to try to find a deal. If we decide to move on and are out of the playoffs next spring, he'll return a nice package at the deadline. And if we are in it, he'll be someone we want on the team for the stretch and into the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2006, 12:09 PM
kasper11

First off, I go by the opinion that anyone is available for the right price. That being said, it would be extremely dumb for the Isles to move Blake unless the return was outstanding.

I agree that he will be on the third line, but I think he is extremely valuable there. He is high energy, high speed, good for 25 goals, can kill penalties. This is the type of player that championship teams have, and you can never have too many of them. Maybe Bergenheim will be able to fill that role. Same with Nokelainen, but we KNOW that Blake can, and that he can play at that level for an entire season.

So his value will never be higher, so what? His value is at its highest for a reason, he is a very valuable player for a team that wants to be a playoff team next season. I want the Isles to go for the playoffs next year, I think they can be a very good team. They are a better team with Blake.

Old
03-18-2006, 12:22 PM
RWWallpaper

I agree that he has not produced much offense the last month or so. However, I am NOT going to deal him based on that. The guy has 44 points in 61 games, plays PK and PP, works as hard as any other player in the entire league and is a plus player on a bad team. What the hell else do you want from a guy making 1.5 million dollars. I don't think he's selfish either. He tries to do WAY too much at times but it's not out of selfishness. Selfish players don't have assists and goals at about the same number. That said, He is NOT a first line winger and should not be used that way. Give him 2nd or 3rd line minutes and you have one of the best bargains in the "salary cap" NHL. If I was the new GM coming in here...siging Jason to an extension would be near the top of my priority list.

Old
03-18-2006, 01:52 PM
TeamKidd

i agree that for the right price, anything should be available. if we can parlay blake and a pick into a top pairing defenseman (yeah right) or a second line center with size/faceoff ability/grit, id take a look at it, but in general blake is way down on my list of players to trade.

however, of note is the "new england patriots" rule....its better to get rid of a player too early than too late.

Old
03-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Titan124

Im starting to get very tired of Blake, and I think he should definitely part of a deal to bring us a high first rounder during the off season. Since the Isles decided to sell, he seems like he thinks everyone around him is unworthy. He just doesn't seem to trust anyone. It's hard to believe, but he's been passing far less. He is definitely an odd man out, we have such speedy yet team-oriented forwards now that he isn't necessary. I think he was a bright spot pre-firesale, but since then he's just become a dark spot. He definitely seems like an odd man out now.

Old
03-18-2006, 02:45 PM
sketchykg

Well, still think that we should keep him, but that said, the biggest problem with the team going forward is that most of our players fall into two molds. They are either: small speedy players like Blake, Bates, etc., or big poor skating players like Hunter, Yashin, etc. In particular, we have a lot of the small speedy type right now. I think that that when the new GM takes over we're going to see some of those similar type players sent out, and I'd guess that based their cost and possible return Blake or York would be the likely candidates.

Old
03-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Hardwork can only provide so much, when limited vision, and tunnel vision is what should get him shipped out.

Old
03-18-2006, 06:06 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
Hardwork can only provide so much, when limited vision, and tunnel vision is what should get him shipped out.
There are better options than a tunnel vision puckhog who is small, injury prone, and will be one year older.

Old
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Blake--small speedy

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-18-2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: topic should be centered around discussion about Blake, please start a new topic for anything else.
Closed Thread