HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Ruutu back on the ice..

Old
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

vCash: 500
Ruutu back on the ice..

From the official site..

Quote:
Forward Tuomo Ruutu (ankle) practiced in full gear at Friday's morning skate and could be back as early as April 1 if fully recovered.
I didn't expect this at all.

It would be a nice confidence boost for him to play 5 or 6 games before going into the off season.

It was said on Hawkcast, that they won't play him unless they are sure that he's absolutely 100% ready to go.

Hawkster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Tico

A question from someone who's wanted to see how well Ruutu plays -

Is he actually all that and a bag of chips? I'm not asking to bash him at all, but have just not really seen him play because it seems like he's never been healthy. My understanding was that his game is similar to a young Forsberg, but Ruutu hits more and is more aggressive all around (like Jerko, his brother). So does he have the same/similar playmaking ability to Forsberg? And can he shoot? And - do you have any sense of his ceiling?

Thanks

Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2006, 07:51 PM
GaryU

The feeling is that when healthy, Ruutu is a premier player. Great O-skills & hits like a Mack truck. He is a difference-maker.

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
DRReclusive

When I watched him play in 2003-04, he impressed me to no ends. The comparison to Forsberg is very close, he's got a great shot and the softest hands i've seen in quite a while. I wouldn't say that his vision is at Forsbergs level, but it isn't bad in any shape or form. He's just one of those players that, when healthy, stands out above the rest. He has potential superstar written all over him.

The news that he is skating again, is great news and I can't wait to see him back playing. Him and Gaborik are two of my favorite players in the NHL right now. I hope both have long careers.

DRReclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Mr. Penguin

vCash: 100
Toumo Ruttuu maybe coming back in April??

That would be so sweet! Ruutu has had too much bad luck. I hope it finally ends and he can lead Hawks to a Stanley Cup Championship soon enough.

Mr. Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
The feeling is that when healthy, Ruutu is a premier player. Great O-skills & hits like a Mack truck. He is a difference-maker.
The biggest reason why we've sucked this year is him being out. He's the heart of the offence and has played 11 games. 1 and a half of those he was probably 100%

I'd do cartwheels around the block if he came back this year. Although i read in the paper today that won't be coming back. But hearing that he's skating with full gear on always leaves the door open i guess. Why else would he put equipment on? Plus it's his contract year so he has to show somethin.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2006, 06:49 AM
TK79

This sounds good, especially with some "experts" predicting he might not even be ready for the start of next season.. With any luck we might see him play for Finland in the World Championships.. Wishfull thinking..

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Wally112pac

If you wanna hear it for yourself go to cbh.com and download the bettman hawk cast.

Old
03-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Great news

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
This sounds good, especially with some "experts" predicting he might not even be ready for the start of next season.. With any luck we might see him play for Finland in the World Championships.. Wishfull thinking..
Now that would be awesome, but unlikely.

I hope he could play next season without any injuries, and mayby he would get some recognition.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
A question from someone who's wanted to see how well Ruutu plays -

Is he actually all that and a bag of chips? I'm not asking to bash him at all, but have just not really seen him play because it seems like he's never been healthy. My understanding was that his game is similar to a young Forsberg, but Ruutu hits more and is more aggressive all around (like Jerko, his brother). So does he have the same/similar playmaking ability to Forsberg? And can he shoot? And - do you have any sense of his ceiling?

Thanks
It's never fair to compare a very young player with a likely hall of famer IMO. That being said, it's very easy to project Ruutu to a legit #1 line forward who is an impact player. With the comparison to Forsberg comparison - TR's looks for his shot more, and is more physical, but doesn't have the insane puck control that PF is known for. I would expect TR to be more in the 40g/40a+ range rather than the 25g/75a range like PF.

Unfortunately to date, TR does have PF's penchant for injuries. The last one doesn't bother me as much because it was a freak injury, but it's never a good sign to be a 23 YO physical player that already has had major knee and shoulder injuries. I really think that TR will need adjust his style of play and choose his moments when he lays someone out better.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Wally112pac

At the end of the 2nd period today Foley said Ruutu might be back for this fridays game.

Old
04-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Savolainen

He will play on Thursday against Detroit!

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen
He will play on Thursday against Detroit!
Damn, I was looking forward to tonights game against Minny to see him play. I guess a game against Detroit insn't a bad one to get back in the lineup for, but hopefully his intensity and playing Detroit don't make him too overzealous to make an immediate impact. I wouldn't want Ruuty to overextend himself and be susceptible to more injury, but at the same time, I think he'd be a hard guy to convince to tone down his game. Can't wait till Thursday now!

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Smelco

Ruutu is back on the ice..packs?

well I guess the Magic Bag isnt for everyone then

Smelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 07:13 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Me thinks Ruutu is the kind of guy who "rests" through world championship. Not like Saku or Teemu who would wheel in on a wheelchair...

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Me thinks Ruutu is the kind of guy who "rests" through world championship. Not like Saku or Teemu who would wheel in on a wheelchair...
If you really think that, then you're an idiot.

End of discussion.

Hawkster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 09:04 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster
If you really think that, then you're an idiot.

End of discussion.
I was a bit clumpsy in how I said it ^^ I meant that if he's mildly hurt or so he might choose to have a little rest to prevent future injuries. Like he has done before.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
slebbeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Got to agree on above. Ruutu should skip one season, and think thru on "how the hell can I avoid getting hurt as many times I've done beofre?"... and do some pracc while at it.

I'm hoping Ruutu won't go to any "world championship tournament" this season, 'coz they're practically even more worthless as they normally are, on an olympic year.

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Ruutu looked like a normal player today, not the difference maker he usually is. He's probably not all the way healed, but you have to give him credit for coming back and playing the last few games with his team.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Wally112pac

He had a very nice shift towards the end of the game where he had the puck for a good 20 seconds on his stick.

He's playin with lapointe and barnaby. I don't get it when yawney says we want to see if he can be a #1 center next year. Then plays him with 4th liners.

Old
04-17-2006, 02:37 AM
edd1e

Seemingly Ruutu had a good game last night, nice hits and one point . Could someone who actually saw the whole thing clarify?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e
Seemingly Ruutu had a good game last night, nice hits and one point . Could someone who actually saw the whole thing clarify?
Ruutu was very noticable on the ice last night I thought, which was mainly the result of his physical play. He threw some good solid body checks and was a disturbance in front of the Jackets net. He had some good chances to score. He was fed the puck on a broken 2 on 1 that he had to kick to his stick to get a shot off but Leclaire made a nice stop in close. Leclaire also had a nice one-timer stop on Ruutu from the right face-off circle. Ruutu got some good wood on it but was falling to his knees a bit when he got it off. On the assist, he fought along the half boards, gained control of the puck, and threaded a nice cross ice pass to Byfuglien at the right point who burried it. He still looked slow at times last night, but like he's said, he's not in game shape of course.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 04:26 PM
TK79

Ruutu will play for Finland in the World Championships in Riga.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/ur...asp?id=1161082
(link in Finnish)

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
GaryU

Go Finns!

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote