HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Retired Numbers

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
Strange that extremeicehockey has #5 showing as retired for Montreal but not #12, considering 5 has only been retired for a little over a week but 12 got retired back toward the start of the season.

The Oilers haven't retired #11 yet?

The Oilers have retired #7 and that doesn't show up there either.

I thought the Jets had retired Dale Hawerchuk's #10?

Old
03-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
I thought the Jets had retired Dale Hawerchuk's #10?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipe...etired_numbers

Old
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
The Oilers haven't retired #11 yet?
Not as far as I know. Again, here's another source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...etired_numbers

I am not sure why his number isn't retired by the Oil, seems quite odd.

Old
03-27-2006, 07:43 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe114
Before Lidstrom's digits go to the rafters, they need to retire Red Kelly's No.4
I've always thought #4 should be retired, but I doubt it will ever happen. The Red Wings are very stingy when it comes to number retirements. Lidstrom is the Red Wings best defenseman of all-time so there is no reason he should have to wait until after Red Kelly's number is retired. Lidstrom's number #5 will definitely be retired.

As for other numbers, Yzerman's #19 will probably be retired too. Fedorov's number #91 won't be retired right away, but it could happen sometime down the road after all is forgiven. Fedorov did play a big part in the 3 stanley cup wins.

Old
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
The Avs really should have 3, 8, 16, and 26 hanging in the rafters, even if they're not retired they should be recognized and honoured. It's always been the one thing that bugs me about the organization.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:41 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
I've always thought #4 should be retired, but I doubt it will ever happen. The Red Wings are very stingy when it comes to number retirements. Lidstrom is the Red Wings best defenseman of all-time so there is no reason he should have to wait until after Red Kelly's number is retired. Lidstrom's number #5 will definitely be retired.

As for other numbers, Yzerman's #19 will probably be retired too. Fedorov's number #91 won't be retired right away, but it could happen sometime down the road after all is forgiven. Fedorov did play a big part in the 3 stanley cup wins.
i think there was a lot of animosity btwn kelly and detroit management, so that may explain part of it, but ted lindsay had his problems w/ management, too. and i don't see why 4 hasn't been retired since, or shouldn't be retired now. and i'm pretty sure detroit didn't win again after kelly was traded.

norm ullman is another red wing who could have had a retired #. i think he wore 16, which was also konstantinov's #. no one wears 16, it's unofficially retired. i double-checked, and ullman also wore 7, lindsay's #. that's a little odd.

i can't imagine 5 not being retired. 4th norris soon, conn smythe. no problems w/ management.

19 will definitely be retired. yzerman is basically a legend in detroit. his captaincy saw the huge turnaround from the dead things to the semi-dynasty of later 90's.

imo, 91 should be retired. w/o him, the longest drought would probably still be alive. fedorov was almost always great in playoffs, over p/g, and better than in regular season. 1st or 2nd in detroit playoff scoring 12 of 13 yrs; and could have won the conn smythe in 97. won hart trophy in 94. but certainly had problems w/ management.
if 4 isn't retired, it doesn't look good for 91.

Old
03-28-2006, 04:58 AM
vcx*

I wish someone would wear #69, i'd like to see that retired in the future by some allstar player. I hope Malkin or Kessel or whomever, wears the # 69.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:00 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Taylor*
Vancouver-#11 Officially.

Why? Because the Moose played here for a few years? Those were some dark years when he came over, after he left the clouds cleared up, no way in hell would i retire #11 in Vancouver.

In Vancouver we have #12 retired, i'd like to see #16 up there soon, also #1.

Old
03-28-2006, 08:51 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh
Ha, could you imagine them having a ceremony in Montreal to retire #99. Don't think that would go over very well.
What about New Jersey then? Maybe they could have Mickey Mouse to pull up the sweater.. Kurri has been already honored by Edmonton Oilers, so there is no point of LA Kings retiring his jersey.

I must confess that I was bit surprised when I learned that Roy and Bourque are retired by Avelanche. Roy I can somewhat agree to, as he played for the team from 1995-96 to 2002-03. Bourque had a short spring stint with a team and won the cup, but still.. Cmon. You really should not retire every great player who represents your team.

Old
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn
What about New Jersey then? Maybe they could have Mickey Mouse to pull up the sweater..
As a lifelong Devils fan, I couldn't have said it better.
It's all fine and dandy for nobody to wear 99 again to respect what Gretzky did for the game, but don't expect cartwheels over it in many places, especially NJ.

It's funny that, after the whole Mickey Mouse thing, we are only 1 cup behind Edmonton and argueably one of the more stable franchises in the past 10-15 years. On second thought, maybe we should honor Gretzky as the inspiration to succeed and not continue down a path of mediocrity!

Old
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Awards:
numbers I'd like to see retired in Carolina:

#2 - already was retired by the Whalers. Should be retired again by the Canes for Wesley IMO.
#3 - I don't think you'll ever see another Hurricane wear the number out of respect for Steve Chiasson. That said, I think the number should be officially retired as well.
#9 - another one that was retired in Hartford. I don't think you will ever see a Hurricane wearing that number but it should still be officially retired IMO.

so that's 2, 3 and 9 that should join 10 in being retired by the Canes in my opinion. 17 might well be on the way to that too whenever Brindy decides to finally hang up the skates.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Weztex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan
Not as far as I know. Again, here's another source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...etired_numbers

I am not sure why his number isn't retired by the Oil, seems quite odd.
Maybe because he just retired. I don't like when teams urge retiring numbers the first year of a player's inaction. It brings more memories when it's 4-5 years after the player retirement (Coffey, Lafontaine). Plus it can motivate younger players. The dust had time to settle down...and then it's all blown again.

Old
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Weztex

By the way honoring Bourque in Colorado was the most stupid jersey retirement I've see. They brought back numbers of Goulet, Stastny, Tardif and Tremblay and still manage to give that honour to a guy who played 121 games (playoffs included) with the team. It's like Detroit would retire Luc Robitaille's jersey. At the same time even Phoenix is retiring Steen's number.

Old
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Terrier

I'm not saying it should be a lock, but for the sake of debate, wouldn't Rick Middleton be a good candidate to have his #16 retired by the Bruins? The man was a veritable highlight film.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3706

Old
03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels
Why? Because the Moose played here for a few years? Those were some dark years when he came over, after he left the clouds cleared up, no way in hell would i retire #11 in Vancouver.

In Vancouver we have #12 retired, i'd like to see #16 up there soon, also #1.
I think he meant in order to rectify Messier taking Maki's unofficialy retired number

Old
03-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 19
The Avs really should have 3, 8, 16, and 26 hanging in the rafters, even if they're not retired they should be recognized and honoured. It's always been the one thing that bugs me about the organization.
I'd rather have it the other way around. Let Quebec keep their heroes rather than us copting them. If Quebec came back into the league I'd be all for them getting their name and statistics back.

Personaly I don't like Masterton's number being retired in Dallas.

It's not like anyone would reach for a pretext they don't really care about in order to slag this organization anyway.

Old
03-29-2006, 06:26 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weztex
By the way honoring Bourque in Colorado was the most stupid jersey retirement I've see. They brought back numbers of Goulet, Stastny, Tardif and Tremblay and still manage to give that honour to a guy who played 121 games (playoffs included) with the team. It's like Detroit would retire Luc Robitaille's jersey. At the same time even Phoenix is retiring Steen's number.
I agree. I also don't think Colorado should've retired Roy's number. He was a great goaltender, but he spent most of his career in Montreal. He only played 7 years with Colorado. They should've just waited and let Sakic's number be the first number to be retired. Larionov spent 8 years (most of his career) in Detroit and yet the Red Wings didn't retire his number. Lately alot of Red Wing fans are talking about Chelios's number being retired by the Red Wings, but I don't think it should be. I'd rather the Red Wings continue being stingy about retiring numbers and not retire any of the current players rather than get number retirement happy and retire a bunch of players numbers that shouldn't be retired. A player's number being retired should be a special honor for the truly great players that have done alot for the organization and I'd like the Red Wings to keep it that way.

Old
03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
I agree. I also don't think Colorado should've retired Roy's number. He was a great goaltender, but he spent most of his career in Montreal. He only played 7 years with Colorado. They should've just waited and let Sakic's number be the first number to be retired. Larionov spent 8 years (most of his career) in Detroit and yet the Red Wings didn't retire his number. Lately alot of Red Wing fans are talking about Chelios's number being retired by the Red Wings, but I don't think it should be. I'd rather the Red Wings continue being stingy about retiring numbers and not retire any of the current players rather than get number retirement happy and retire a bunch of players numbers that shouldn't be retired. A player's number being retired should be a special honor for the truly great players that have done alot for the organization and I'd like the Red Wings to keep it that way.
For Detroit, I could easily see Yzerman (duh), Lidstrom (another duh), and Shanahan.

Old
03-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Yeah cause Larionov was way more integral to Detroit success than Roy was in Colorado.

Old
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
I agree. I also don't think Colorado should've retired Roy's number. He was a great goaltender, but he spent most of his career in Montreal. He only played 7 years with Colorado. T
It's not the amount of years, it's the contribution. Roy will be equally remembered as a Hab and an Avalanche in my mind, and many would agree. There's quite a few great players who's legacy "belongs" to more than one team (Gretzky, MacInnis, Messier, Francis, etc). Besides, by my count he only played 61 more games (including playoffs) in Montreal than in Colorado. That's equivalent of like one season.

Old
03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Calderon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500
Even if the NHL wouldn't have retired #99 does any one here think any player would ever dare too use it? Same goes for #66.

And btw, lifting #99 to the rafters in St. Louis
In NBA, the number as legendary as 99 in hockey, namely Michael Jordan's 23, is used by LeBron James. And Jordan has had perhaps even more staggering an impact to basketball than Gretz in ice hockey. I don't know anything about retiring jersey numbers in NBA though.

But maybe we'll se some young star like L.J. pick a famous number like 66 in future. After all, athletes tend to make those kind of choises to honor the legends, not to put them down or anything like that. Just remember Gretzky himself and #9 of Gordie Howe he never got.

Closed Thread