HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gaborik leaves Minnesota

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 10:58 AM
9DiGiT-CODE

vCash: 500
Gaborik leaves Minnesota

Gaborik leaves Minnesota

Canadian Press

10/27/2003

Unsigned winger Marian Gaborik left Minnesota and delivered a parting shot on his way out as talks with the Wild once again broke down.

Gaborik, in a statement released Monday by his Montreal-based agent David Schatia, said he came down in his asking price but still couldn't agree to terms.

``Unfortunately, the Wild management have been and remain unwilling to negotiate,'' Gaborik said.

Courtesy: TSN.ca, Article

-9DC-

Old
10-27-2003, 11:16 AM
IGM

I was reading the posts below the article and man how times have changed. The guy has said he is willing to work a deal and is looking for in the neighborhood of $4 per year. I think that is a fair chunk of change and realize that the truly stupid contracts like the one given Holik are long gone but, if a guy like Gabs ins't worth $4 per year then who is? He is young, talented and allot would say capable of scoring 40+ goals per year while playing well at both ends of the ice. Sure he hasn't proven himself as one of the games top four or five players but he is right there and while guys like Holik, Cujo Turgeon etc were all stupidly over payed and those days have certainly come to an end, there has to be a new limit to what players are paid with the next CBA and right around $5 mill per sure looks like it will be close to the max. So I would ask you, is a player like Gabs worth $1 mill less than the league max? I think he is when all things are considered. This is starting to look like hard lined posturing on the part of the Wild. He said he would take a deal based on his gross (what he was actually paid) last year with all of his bonuses to play this year and wait and see what the CBA does to the league before he negs a new contract. When the Wild said no to that they went from a team that was trying to sign him while staying fiscallly responsible to a team that looks like they are trying to send him and others a message. "You didn't do what we wanted you to so you can rot". Somewhere in between the two is the way an adult would handle the situation and hopefully in that a deal will be done.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Already the offer made from the Wild is WAY WAY WAY too high. They should say and stick with, this is FINAL OFFER sign by noon tomorrow or get outta town.

Asking for 13.5 down from the ridiculous 6.5/yr asking earlier is still totally insane

About the ONLY good thing i will ever say about the Wild is they have not caved into fan pressure and signed a ridiculous contract let him sit out until next season or the one beyond that if it is needed since no way should a contract like this be allowed to signed

Old
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Volchenkov

Its a real shame since if he sits out the whole year, it could mean that the NHL will be missing two of its rising young stars for a whole season. Damn.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:29 AM
BCCHL inactive

"A few days ago, I offered to sign a contract for the same gross pay I earned in each of the last two seasons. My offer to the Wild was rejected."

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the Wild to reject this. Gaborik would have signed for $4.4M per season according to this comment...what he made last season with bonus money.

It is common sense in today's game that when a player has a breakout season, he gets a raise on his next contract.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
"A few days ago, I offered to sign a contract for the same gross pay I earned in each of the last two seasons. My offer to the Wild was rejected."

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the Wild to reject this. Gaborik would have signed for $4.4M per season according to this comment...what he made last season with bonus money.

It is common sense in today's game that when a player has a breakout season, he gets a raise on his next contract.
I dunno. You think 30 goal scorer's are worth 4.5M ? I sure dont .
I also think that the 4.4 was sans bonuses. Bonuses (if what I understand to be true) could add on another 3M or so.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
guinness
those were the days

I could understand if the Wild were loaded with talent and Gaborik was just another good player, but the he isn't and the Wild are struggling to score goals and he helps to put people in the seats. I could even understand this if it was a cash-strapped franchise, but it isn't. Goofy maneuver by the Wild front office. It almost sounds like they didn't want him back at all (if he was actually willing to sign for what he made during the past season).

Old
10-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I hope a team comes in with a big offer sheet for Gaborik.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:49 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I dunno. You think 30 goal scorer's are worth 4.5M ? I sure dont .
I also think that the 4.4 was sans bonuses. Bonuses (if what I understand to be true) could add on another 3M or so.
The $4.4M he made last year was with bonus, the $4.4M he wants now is as a base salary. He would still have more bonus money on top of that based on performance.

And goals are not the only thing that should determine a player's worth. Gaborik scored 65 points last season....the same as Alexei Yashin, better than Teemu Selanne, Jeremy Roenick, and Owen Nolan just to name a few.

Gaborik was also 2nd in NHL Playoff scoring last season, being only one point behind Langenbrunner and S.Niedermayer, who tied for 1st....and Gaborik didn't play in the Finals and his team only scored once against Anaheim in the West Finals.

And the fact that he is a 3-year veteran being only 21 years old works for him too. He has improved every season so far, and his team doesn't want to give him a raise???

Old
10-27-2003, 11:50 AM
IGM

I have now read five different articles and have yet to find ANY statement that says that he is looking for his bonuses ON TOP of the contract. It is pure speculation to say that he is. He said he would sign a contract for what he GROSSED last year. Not what he grossed WITH bonuses. Then he would be asking for more than the $6 mill that the Wild have already turned down and he knows that isn't going to happen AND he wouldn't be "comming down" on his asking price. There is just no possible way that he is looking for bonuses too.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Why?

Old
10-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Why?
To force minnesota to sign him?

Old
10-27-2003, 11:59 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Why?
So Minny could get all those 1st round picks, because by judging how they operate, they'd rather take the cheap prospects over giving their star player a raise that can help them win now. The Wings pay McCarty nearly 3 million to do whatever he does, Gaborik at a 4 million base salary is a bargin, after all those sellouts and the unexpected playoff run, the Wild should open the coffers just a little.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Peter25

The Wild are being cheap here. If Bill Guerin is worth 9 milloin a year, so why is Gaborik not worth 4.4 milloin a year?

Gaborik is twice a player Guerin is.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:03 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
I have now read five different articles and have yet to find ANY statement that says that he is looking for his bonuses ON TOP of the contract. It is pure speculation to say that he is. He said he would sign a contract for what he GROSSED last year. Not what he grossed WITH bonuses. Then he would be asking for more than the $6 mill that the Wild have already turned down and he knows that isn't going to happen AND he wouldn't be "comming down" on his asking price. There is just no possible way that he is looking for bonuses too.
All contracts have perfomance incentives.

Gaborik's base salary last year was barely over $1M....but with bonus, he ended up with $4.4M, and now he wants that as his base salary.

If Gaborik was a Red Wing, Avalanche, Flyer, Star or Ranger...he would likely have a $5M+ per season contract under his belt right now.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:05 PM
ceber

Is Gaborik worth that much more than other players in his situation?

Old
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
BruinFan42

So now Gaborik's going to go home and play hockey in Slovakia? Won't he be making much less there than what the Wild are offering?

It doesn't make sense to me...

Old
10-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
So now Gaborik's going to go home and play hockey in Slovakia? Won't he be making much less there than what the Wild are offering?

Actually he could make more in Russia that he would make playing for the Wild.

Roman Abramovich would surely pay him $3-4 million to play for his Omsk club. Letīs see if Gabby goes to Russia.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42

He can't play anywhere else in the NHL. He is still Minnesota Wild property.

Just because he is in a contract squabble doesn't mean he doesn't want to play.

Gaborik is being low-balled by the Wild, so it would show weakness on his part and his agent's part to sign for less than he made in each of the last 2 seasons. That being said, he still wants to play hockey, so the next best thing would be to play at home.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
That would be fun. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Could people PLEASE, PLEASE not compare Gaborik to Holik, Turgeon, Guerin or any other UFA. They might as well compare Gaborik to Alex Rodriquez, Donovan McNabb, or Bill Gates. UFA compensation has NOTHING to do with what RFA's make, especially guys without arbitration rights.

Actually, MINN would be within their rights to offer Gaborik a 10% raise on last years BASE contract ($1.1MM) and tell him to take it or leave it. If he doesn't sign, he can't play in the NHL until he's a UFA (31 YO) or another team signs him to an offer sheet (hasn't happened in 5 years).

Gaborik has a ton of potential. But he scored 30 goals last year in the regular season. Several players were coming off their rookie contracts and had similiar seasons production wise (Hossa, Gagne), and they signed in the $2.5M range. I don't know why Gaborik deserves to make almost double what those guys are making.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Blackjack

Just because x player makes y dollars per year doesn't mean that Gaborik is a bargain at 4.4 million. Martin LaPointe makes what, $5 million per year? Does that mean that every 15 goal third liner should make the same? Judging by CuJo's salary, AHL goalies should make about $8 million per year. Don't compare what Gaborik is asking for to the salaries of players that Minnesota didn't even sign. If the Wings want to rediculously overpay for Darren McCarty, that's their problem.

Jeff Friesen scored the most goals in the playoffs (10), and signed his qualifying offer of $3 million without a peep despite arbitration rights. IMO a big reason for that was because The Devils have a reputation of being extremely tough at contract time.

Say what you want about the team around Gaborik, at the end of the day he should be making similar money to Martin Havlat.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:37 PM
onearmedbandit14

This is insane. I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams because there were rumors going around that he might be signing within the week, and now this. Goodbre Gaborik, hello Paul Mara!

Old
10-27-2003, 12:43 PM
IGM

Show me where he has said that HE wants bonuses included and why. There is just no way that he is asking for his gross base AND bonuses. The Wild have already said they won't pay him $6 mill per and if he said he wanted last years gross AND bonuses that would put him over $7 mill per season and he, his agent and god himself already know that the Wild won't pay that. He also has said that he "came down significantly" on what he wanted only to have the Wild say no.

I just don't buy it that he wanted his $4.4 AND bonuses when he said he would take that just to get a deal done. He wasn't asking for $6+ AND bonuses in the contract that the Wild turned down so why is he now.

Of course in MOST NHL contracts there are performance clauses, there just doesn't make any sense for him to have asked for them this time AND there is no evidence besides public opinion that he has.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:46 PM
IGM

Oh, and to the people who said that it is unfair to compare Holik etc with this situation you are kidding, right? I mean, you understand that they are saying that the days of the stupidly over paid NHL player are long gone and not that the actual players should be compared, right?

Closed Thread