HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bad Defense, Bad Goaltending or Great Opposition?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 04:46 PM
jplush76

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Bad Defense, Bad Goaltending or Great Opposition?

Whats with all this 4/5 goal stuff the past few games?

We're not gonna get many wins letting up that many on a consistant basis. Anyone have any thoughts as to why things have been breaking down lately?

After 2 shutout starts its odd to be letting so many up.

p.s. GO RECCHI

Old
10-25-2003, 05:07 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
Whats with all this 4/5 goal stuff the past few games?

We're not gonna get many wins letting up that many on a consistant basis. Anyone have any thoughts as to why things have been breaking down lately?

After 2 shutout starts its odd to be letting so many up.

p.s. GO RECCHI

The answer isn't bad goaltending, or bad defense, or good opposition... it's actually VERY simple:

Typical Flyers

Old
10-25-2003, 05:12 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

i vote bad D, and bad calls by refs in a few of the games

Old
10-25-2003, 06:21 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I would say there has been a lot of defensive lapses and crap calls made by the refs.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:36 PM
blah

So what they went down 2-0 early and still came back for the tie. I think they'll put it together and be a dominant team. I really think this may be the season.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:59 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
So what they went down 2-0 early and still came back for the tie. I think they'll put it together and be a dominant team. I really think this may be the season.

there is NO way hackett is leading anyone to a stanley cup. If this is the team they'll need to pick someone up before the trading deadline. Goaltending is key for the cup.

Old
10-26-2003, 01:10 AM
blah

You don't know that. What goalies are available that have led a team to the Cup?

Old
10-26-2003, 02:55 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
You don't know that. What goalies are available that have led a team to the Cup?
Osgood!

Old
10-26-2003, 03:27 AM
stanley

Too many key injuries and inconsistent team effort.

If the Flyers were alone in the latter category, this would be an issue. Many teams are trying to find their wheels at this point in the season. Having regulars like Gagne, LeClair, Brashear, Somik, and now maybe Johnsson out of the lineup isn't as unimportant as it might seem.

Hackett will be fine. Besides, you might as well add "pony" and "fire engine" to your wish list if you believe the Flyers could or would even consider adding a goaltender this season. Relieve yourselves of that idea - it will simply drive you to madness.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
i vote bad D, and bad calls by refs in a few of the games
3 of the 4 goals was bad defense. Espically Markov's goal. Everyone watched the play and no one was watching Markov coming in by himself. Wallin's 2nd goal was simply bad execution. 2 chances to clear the zone. The second try looked like a direct pass to Wallin. Vrbata's goal was as soft as they come. The Flyers did a good job coming back so many times though. Teams of the past (teams of this season) would have quit after it was 2-0, 3-2 or 4-3. They looked terrible until they got their power play and they looked like they picked it up.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:34 AM
54fightin

hackett

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Too many key injuries and inconsistent team effort.

If the Flyers were alone in the latter category, this would be an issue. Many teams are trying to find their wheels at this point in the season. Having regulars like Gagne, LeClair, Brashear, Somik, and now maybe Johnsson out of the lineup isn't as unimportant as it might seem.

Hackett will be fine. Besides, you might as well add "pony" and "fire engine" to your wish list if you believe the Flyers could or would even consider adding a goaltender this season. Relieve yourselves of that idea - it will simply drive you to madness.
I sat in the ninth row right behind Hackett last night and he seemed slow to react to shots. I hope I am wrong but I don't see him carrying this team through rough stretches let alone taking them to the Stanley Cup. I agree with Stanley that the Flyers will not add a goaltender this year (unless they decide that Eshe is not up to the backup job) but I don't understand Clarke's continued inability to upgrade the most important position.

Old
10-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Flyers did a good job coming back so many times though. Teams of the past (teams of this season) would have quit after it was 2-0, 3-2 or 4-3. They looked terrible until they got their power play and they looked like they picked it up.
You couldn't be more right on this point.

Hackett was far from the problem last night.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:01 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
You couldn't be more right on this point.

He was far from the answer as well.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
You're both right. Had Recchi not scored the SH goal with a few minutes left, we'd be looking at the goal Vrbata scored...

Old
10-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Green Mile

Not to focus on one guy, but it was just something that caught my eye - has anyone taken a look at Weinrich's play lately? I don't know, he just isn't looking that sharp. Even last year, he had some huge lapses and weird turnovers, but then in the playoffs he was pretty good. Now this year, it just seems like he is losing track so much. I also thought he was beat bad on the Niedermayer OT winner.

And Kim Johnsson hasn't been particularly good either. Also seems to be losing track of who he should be covering or how the play is developing.

But, it's early yet, so it may take a little while.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
I didn't want Hackett here anymore than you did, I'm just being objective. The Flyers as a team deserved to lose yesterday, they owe that point last night to the hard work of Chouiny and Rex.

Vrbata's goal was odd, he used the Defenseman as a screen, and I thought it was deflected. Regardless, the shot was a rocket, and Hackett wasn't positioned properly. That's the only goal you could fault Hackett on.

The Flyers deserved to lose.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:48 AM
Brad*

It's probably been a mixture of all of those things, not just one of them alone.

Last night for example, I would have only faulted Hackett on the third goal that Vrbata scored as it looked like Hackett was out of position. The rest seemed to be either a defensive laps or a screen in front of Hackett.

What's really important is they kept clawing back and got a tie. I think we learned from last season that every single point counts.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:54 AM
jamison flyer

vCash:
my opinion

i think it was goaltending, third one was a BAD one... :mad:

Old
10-26-2003, 07:59 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
It's probably been a mixture of all of those things, not just one of them alone.

Last night for example, I would have only faulted Hackett on the third goal that Vrbata scored as it looked like Hackett was out of position. The rest seemed to be either a defensive laps or a screen in front of Hackett.

What's really important is they kept clawing back and got a tie. I think we learned from last season that every single point counts.
Sucks they had to waste a season to learn that.

Old
10-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Teezax

It's so funny that our boys only catch fire once the other team has scored a couple. It seems like an eternity since we last opened up the scoring, this catch up hockey is going to "catch up" with us. We're very lucky to be getting these ties. We're not giving Hackett any help on Defence, but he could be a little better as well. Can't wait till we're healthy again, and start rolling 4 solid lines of attack.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:44 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

aren't we supposed to be a defense first team, u wouldn't guess it watching us play

Old
10-26-2003, 04:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
3 of the 4 goals was bad defense. Espically Markov's goal. Everyone watched the play and no one was watching Markov coming in by himself. Wallin's 2nd goal was simply bad execution. 2 chances to clear the zone. The second try looked like a direct pass to Wallin. Vrbata's goal was as soft as they come. The Flyers did a good job coming back so many times though. Teams of the past (teams of this season) would have quit after it was 2-0, 3-2 or 4-3. They looked terrible until they got their power play and they looked like they picked it up.
I agree this team has shown some heart in coming back in some of these games, 2 3rd period comebacks to get a point in the last 2 games.
however the defense and goaltending has not been good so far. granted we have had so many injuries(again) but its only October. But i will say this if the goaltending keeps this up Clarke probably is giving the Wings a call for Cujo. As much as some of us dont like him. how many of the games so far does he give up like 4 goals like HackEsche.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Vrbata's goal was odd, he used the Defenseman as a screen, and I thought it was deflected. Regardless, the shot was a rocket, and Hackett wasn't positioned properly.
That shot was almost a direct replay of Smolinski's goal last year. It might have actually been worse a worse goal.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
I am really not to worried about what you think, seeing you live in Los Angeles. How much can you really know about hockey?
Keep these comments for you Hexxy...

Closed Thread