HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Knicks and the crowd they draw

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
OT: The Knicks and the crowd they draw

I honestly dont get it. How do the Knicks ( being the second worst team in the lague ) draw a sellout crowd like every night? Watch the game going on right now. Its jam packed.

Old
03-19-2006, 09:45 PM
KaptainKourage*

Becuz ur living in USA.

Old
03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
I don't know how well they normally draw. A girl from one of my classes is a Bartender under the garden at TGIF's and she says its packed after Rangers games and empty after Knicks games this year. Maybe Knicks game are sold out but the fans just want to go home after games. I would think they'd want to drown their sorrows in a couple of beers though.

Old
03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Basketball fans>Hockey Fans..at least number wise

I mean, I look at a Knicks game and half the seats are empty, I think its a matter of them having a very high amount of people who are there for business/entertainment and not really love of the game, those company suits. And those companies buy tickets unconditionally.

Old
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
DarthSather99

Didn't the Rangers sell out when they were losing?

Old
03-19-2006, 10:43 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Shaq was playing.

Old
03-19-2006, 11:05 PM
KasparKrunch

knicks suck period. exclamation point!

Old
03-19-2006, 11:28 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasparKrunch
knicks suck period. exclamation point!
basketball sux in general! hate that sport and how marginal players still get like 10 million a year! sport is a joke!

Old
03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
basketball sux in general! hate that sport and how marginal players still get like 10 million a year! sport is a joke!
AGreed

Old
03-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Scumgrief

Send a message via AIM to Scumgrief Send a message via Yahoo to Scumgrief
yeah you just ruined my night by bringing up the other Dolan team. Great now I need to drink and forget about this stupid team that somehow gets more press losing thier butts off then a hockey team doing awesome..

Old
03-20-2006, 12:21 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35

Yeah, but there are only 12 spots on an NBA team and the sport grosses more, so in a way Jerome James making 10 mill was like Stephane Quintal making his 2 mill....

Every pro sport has overpaid role players at some point.

Here in NYC, when the Knicks are playing well and are NBA elite, they run this town....The only time it was checked was with the Rangers in 1994, and it was almost a dead heat as far as local press coverage.

Now in 2006, it's so ironic that the Knicks get more press than the Rangers simply because they are a joke....in fact, the biggest joke in all of sports is playing basketball at MSG....And the reason why the Knicks still draw tickets is because of the hype surrounding Larry Brown...a lot of Knick fans (me not included) thought just having Brown aboard will make them a 40-45 win team....Once you buy those tickets, you can't get a refund once the team starts sucking...so you go to the game.....get drunk and leave at the half...

Man, the Knicks really suck.

Old
03-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Fletch

I've been to one Knicks game...

and seen a couple blurbs on TV (probably watched a total of an hour it seems). Several of those games are played in front of empty seats. Just like the Rangers announce a sellout and nobody shows up. But having said that, basketball's just better received. It's akin to being seen at a hot nightclub, with its $25 cover charge and $10 Heinekens, compared to hockey, which is your local dive bar that serves $3 rolling rocks. One has a line, and the other has 8 guys sitting at the bar, all over 50, and most with missing teeth.

Old
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and seen a couple blurbs on TV (probably watched a total of an hour it seems). Several of those games are played in front of empty seats. Just like the Rangers announce a sellout and nobody shows up. But having said that, basketball's just better received. It's akin to being seen at a hot nightclub, with its $25 cover charge and $10 Heinekens, compared to hockey, which is your local dive bar that serves $3 rolling rocks. One has a line, and the other has 8 guys sitting at the bar, all over 50, and most with missing teeth.

Old
03-20-2006, 11:08 AM
greasch#4

It's easy to get Knicks tickets. My job gives them away as does most of my friends jobs. It's like that infamous Giants-Chargers game a few years back (which I went to by the way) most of the people at the game aren't even the original ticket purchasers/holders. There are millions of people around NYC who have never been to a game and who would go if given tickets for free. These are the people who are attending Knicks games this season.

Old
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8
Yeah, but there are only 12 spots on an NBA team and the sport grosses more, so in a way Jerome James making 10 mill was like Stephane Quintal making his 2 mill....

Every pro sport has overpaid role players at some point.

Here in NYC, when the Knicks are playing well and are NBA elite, they run this town....The only time it was checked was with the Rangers in 1994, and it was almost a dead heat as far as local press coverage.

Now in 2006, it's so ironic that the Knicks get more press than the Rangers simply because they are a joke....in fact, the biggest joke in all of sports is playing basketball at MSG....And the reason why the Knicks still draw tickets is because of the hype surrounding Larry Brown...a lot of Knick fans (me not included) thought just having Brown aboard will make them a 40-45 win team....Once you buy those tickets, you can't get a refund once the team starts sucking...so you go to the game.....get drunk and leave at the half...

Man, the Knicks really suck.

i'm also saying the sport in general is a joke! maybe 15 years ago it was decent to watch but now i can put on the last two mins. of the game left and figure out the outcome of the game, they made the sport so wimpish its a joke to watch! i mean how hard is it for a 7ft shaq dunking a basketball? it is just unwatchable imo!

Old
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
HF_Rangers

The NBA is a joke... if you want to watch good basketball, watch the college game. The tournament is exciting to watch.

Old
03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
The NBA sucks, there is never any effort or excitement, the players just stand around like a bunch of morons, I swear to god it is less exciting than bass fishing. The only team that plays with heart are the Phoenix Suns, one of the few teams that actually run. In a recent poll, the NHL had over taken the NBA in popularity which makes sense. The NHL is good, the NBA sucks, that basically sums it up. The NBA is really experiencing a huge backlash. College basketball is about 1000000 times more entertaining.

Old
03-21-2006, 01:36 AM
ivrydov

The problem with the NBA is that you know a month into the schedule who is going to be competiting for the title barring injuries. This year there are five serious challengers and the rest are along for the ride. The whole schedule is boring. Almost all of the games are meaningless. There is no reason to pay any attention to the regular schedule games or even the early rounds of the playoffs. That's not true in the other major sports.

The salaries are inflated beyond all proportion because they don't have to carry large rosters and or a heavy minor league system.

The European basketball scene is much more exciting. You have no idea who is going to challenge for the title year in and year out and every game among the many contenders is an experience.

Old
03-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov
The problem with the NBA is that you know a month into the schedule who is going to be competiting for the title barring injuries. This year there are five serious challengers and the rest are along for the ride. The whole schedule is boring. Almost all of the games are meaningless. There is no reason to pay any attention to the regular schedule games or even the early rounds of the playoffs. That's not true in the other major sports.

The salaries are inflated beyond all proportion because they don't have to carry large rosters and or a heavy minor league system.

The European basketball scene is much more exciting. You have no idea who is going to challenge for the title year in and year out and every game among the many contenders is an experience.
The NHL has the exact same schedule format. Most regular season game are pretty meaningless.

I agree that the NBA is the worst league to watch by far and that college hoops is much better.

Old
03-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

What about the crowd the elephants and zebras for the circus drew this early early morning? Shame on you!

Closed Thread