HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Get Dave Scatchard

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 07:33 PM
AVE MAN

vCash: 500
Lets Get Dave Scatchard

I think Dave Scatchard is the best deal out there for the oil. He's big, tough and he can score. 27 Goals last year on the third line in NY.

Comrie or Scatchard, who would you rather see in your lineup in a tough playoff battle vs Dallas? Scatchard can beat you in a lot of different ways and he's a great Faceoff man. This is the best deal out there for the oil! I would do it straight up.
In a side deal we should get Hurme from Atlanta. He's very underated. He's a goalie that could steal some games for you. He always has a good save %. The only reason he hasn't been a starter is because he has been a backup to two great starters (Lalime and Luongo).
The next move should be to put Salo on waivers. Nobody is going to give you anything for him in a trade. On waivers maybe someone could claim him and his 4 million dollars. If not, your stuck with his salary for the remaining year and you don't pick up next years option.

These simple moves will get us far into the playoffs. The oil have a good team, despite this current losing streak. Our weakness is small centres and bad goaltending. This would address both!

What do you guys think?

Old
10-28-2003, 07:40 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
I think Dave Scatchard is the best deal out there for the oil. He's big, tough and he can score. 27 Goals last year on the third line in NY.

Comrie or Scatchard, who would you rather see in your lineup in a tough playoff battle vs Dallas? Scatchard can beat you in a lot of different ways and he's a great Faceoff man. This is the best deal out there for the oil! I would do it straight up.
In a side deal we should get Hurme from Atlanta. He's very underated. He's a goalie that could steal some games for you. He always has a good save %. The only reason he hasn't been a starter is because he has been a backup to two great starters (Lalime and Luongo).
The next move should be to put Salo on waivers. Nobody is going to give you anything for him in a trade. On waivers maybe someone could claim him and his 4 million dollars. If not, your stuck with his salary for the remaining year and you don't pick up next years option.

These simple moves will get us far into the playoffs. The oil have a good team, despite this current losing streak. Our weakness is small centres and bad goaltending. This would address both!

What do you guys think?

Ummmm...Scathard is injured right now. Out for a couple more weeks too I believe.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i would love to get scatchard here however i really doubt the islanders will trade however milbury likes the revolving door. i like his defense and he seems to have added offense to his game as his goals for last year would attest to. plus he has the size for a centre that this team desperately needs.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:

What do you guys think?
What do I think?

Well I'll be short and to the point.
1.Comrie's value greatly excedes a third liner who will average 20 goals/year and probably couldn't skate with the Oilers.
2.Hurme anything but a sure thing. I wouldn't be sad to see him given a chance as I think he has starter potential - but to reckomend waiving Salo is WAY off.
3.Those changes don't improve the team NEARLY enough to "get us far into the playoffs"
4.We don't have small centers. York is the ONLY one, everybody else is 6ft plus.
5.Our greatest weakness is a team that breaks down defensively all the time, and Scatchard won't be the guy who could turn that around.

Only sensable thing you said was about Hurme and his situation and what he's capable of. He was GREAT at the olympics for Finland, and IMO he could be a starter in the NHL if ever given a decent chance.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:48 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

why not throw pisani and ferguson at milbury and maybe he would bite, maybe isbister as well.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Cerebral

Sigh.. a Scatchard to the Oilers thread seems to pop up every couple weeks despite the repeated arguments against it by most Oiler fans. :mad: He's a very good third line player who will pop about 20 goals/season.. while he's a great defensive presence and a competent player, he can't skate well enough to play for the Oilers and is not the kind of player we need with Torres, Moreau and Isbister already on the roster.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:03 PM
AVE MAN

1.Comrie's value greatly excedes a third liner who will average 20 goals/year and probably couldn't skate with the Oilers.
__________________________________________________ __

Ah, remember though. Dave Scatchard is a third line center only because he plays behind Yashin and Peca.
In terms of speed, Comrie is far from the fastest guy in the rink himself. Speed wise were not giving up too much.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Taco Grande

I think we have more then our share of former islanders. Thanks but no thanks. (unless we ship isbister back to them for scatchard.. injured or whatever, its still a good deal)

Old
10-29-2003, 07:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
__________________________________________________ __

Ah, remember though. Dave Scatchard is a third line center only because he plays behind Yashin and Peca.
In terms of speed, Comrie is far from the fastest guy in the rink himself. Speed wise were not giving up too much.
Yes, but he was top six before they both arrived, and was top six for all the games that Peca wasn't there and was top six for all the games that Yashin was on the fourth line. Thats over half the season!!! He got LOTS of chances up there. Comrie isn't speedy - but he is still a good skater. Scatchard would be a first line center if he was a better skater - his skating is average at best, and that just doesn't mix overly well with the Oilers forcheck. Scatchard is the kind of guy that you expect 15-20 goals out of. Remember he's only scored 20+ twice in his entire career.

I love Scatchar. He's one of my favorite players. I'd love to have a third line of three of him.

He would be good on a line with Moreau though I will say.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Walsher

Scatchard is big but he is a band aid. Continually hurt and rarely able to complete seasons. I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Closed Thread