HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe Issues Statement

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 01:54 PM
OilBeDrillin'

vCash: 500
Lowe Issues Statement

Quote:
LOWE ISSUES STATEMENT

Edmonton Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says he will not enter into a public debate over the future of Mike Comrie, despite efforts by Comrie’s agent, Rich Winter, to enlist the support of the media to further his client’s cause.

Lowe says it has become increasingly apparent that Winter is trying to accelerate the process of what has become a difficult situation, but Lowe goes on to say, “I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded, it changes nothing, and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.”

Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie. Lowe says, “I want to make this perfectly clear; I think Mike is a great kid and a very good player. This is not personal. I work for the Edmonton Oilers and will always try do what’s right for the team.”
courtesy of Edmonton Oilers e-News

Old
10-27-2003, 01:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26

HUURRRAY for Lowe - I'm glad he didn't just sit tight - It is great to see him conter act that jerk off Winter

Oh, and Winter, if for any reason you ever are on this board and read this post:
:moon:

Old
10-27-2003, 02:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Wait a minute!!!

Lowe was asked to meet by Winter and Comrie. Comrie wanted to sit down and talk personally, I believe it was either yesterday or Saturday, it was mentioned on the radio this morning.

Now, am I reading this wrong or did Lowe just flat-out lie?

Old
10-27-2003, 02:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Lowe clearly feels that Comrie isn't willing to come back down to earth, and be a good home town Oiler - plus, Lowe is just being nice, I mean he would be shooting himself in the foot if he said "I hate the jerk, I can't wait to trade him! I'm calling Don Waddell RIGHT now!"

lol

Old
10-27-2003, 02:19 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Wait a minute!!!

Lowe was asked to meet by Winter and Comrie. Comrie wanted to sit down and talk personally, I believe it was either yesterday or Saturday, it was mentioned on the radio this morning.

I read that Lowe wasn't willing to break a prior engagement to meet Comrie.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:20 PM
O.T.

Quote:
Wait a minute!!!

How do you know that Lowe lied? Could Rich Winter not have lied to make his client look better in the public eye.

It is becoming clear that most Edmontonians don't want Comrie back, and I am slowly moving over to their side. Winter is a jerk, and through his comments over the last few days I have lost a great deal of respect for Mr. Comrie.

Here's to you Mikey Boy! :moon:

And If you thaught you were getting off easy Rich, I will raise Comrie's :moon: , and give you a :moon: :moon: !

Old
10-27-2003, 02:22 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Wait a minute!!!

No, the quote from the release clearly states:

"Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie.

Basically, he's saying that if Comrie wanted to come back and play with the Oil, THEN he would meet with him. Lowe is confirming what many in the media have already said, Comrie doesn't want to play here.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I read that Lowe wasn't willing to break a prior engagement to meet Comrie.
So, in other words, his priority is not to doing the best thing for his hockey team? Not even booking for another time?

Old
10-27-2003, 02:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
No, the quote from the release clearly states:

"Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie.

Basically, he's saying that if Comrie wanted to come back and play with the Oil, THEN he would meet with him. Lowe is confirming what many in the media have already said, Comrie doesn't want to play here.
That's one way of reading it, just don't happen to see it that way.

But again, who really knows with all the posturing and negotiating tactics goin on here.

This is an all-out PR war right now, and if Mikey is intelligent, he'll fire that bonehead Rich, because he sure ain't earnin his 10% right now.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:26 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
From a negotiating standpoint, if Comrie is demanding a trade why would Lowe com running to the office to meet with Comrie personally the moment Comrie requests it?

So Lowe tells Comrie he won't/can't do it on Sunday or whatever day he requests, doesn't mean that Lowe won't meet, just that Lowe wasn't going to meet at that time. However Winter can run to the media and say that Lowe won't come to the table. Winter doesn't lie in the statement and Lowe looks like an azz. In the big picture it doesn'tmean anything though.

If Lowe is trying to maintain the upper hand with Comrie, then I say he made the right decision for the simple reason that the team is struggling and if Lowe goes running to meet with Comrie the instance it is requested it gives the perception that Lowe needs this resolved asap, if he waits it gives the indication that despite what's happening on the ice the Lowe is comfortable without Comrie in the mix right now.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:27 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Wait a minute!!!

Lowe was asked to meet by Winter and Comrie. They wanted to sit down personally, I believe it was either yesterday or Saturday, it was mentioned on the radio this morning.

I can't fathom you're reason to believe Winter, a guy who will lie and deny at the drop of a hat; over KLo, who has earned a lifelong reputation of respect, by always been accountable for his actions. It seems to me that KLo is getting much better at 'choosing his words'.

"Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie."

Winter, if he is to be believed, has said that Comrie won't play here. Wouldn't that mean that any direct contact he wants would only have something to do with a trade?

Where the **** is the *roll eyes* when you need it.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:28 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
From a negotiating standpoint, if Comrie is demanding a trade why would Lowe com running to the office to meet with Comrie personally the moment Comrie requests it?

So Lowe tells Comrie he won't/can't do it on Sunday or whatever day he requests, doesn't mean that Lowe won't meet, just that Lowe wasn't going to meet at that time. However Winter can run to the media and say that Lowe won't come to the table. Winter doesn't lie in the statement and Lowe looks like an azz. In the big picture it doesn'tmean anything though.

If Lowe is trying to maintain the upper hand with Comrie, then I say he made the right decision for the simple reason that the team is struggling and if Lowe goes running to meet with Comrie the instance it is requested it gives the perception that Lowe needs this resolved asap, if he waits it gives the indication that despite what's happening on the ice the Lowe is comfortable without Comrie in the mix right now.
I may be over-reading here, but that sounds like it's not about what's best for the team right now. Should we really be okay with that? I sure don't think so.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I can't fathom you're reason to believe Winter, a guy who will lie and deny at the drop of a hat; over KLo, who has earned a lifelong reputation of respect, by always been accountable for his actions. It seems to me that KLo is getting much better at 'choosing his words'.

"Lowe also says he wants to clarify that he has made the point to Winter that the Oilers would welcome Mike back in the line-up, and would meet with him directly if that sentiment was shared by Comrie."

Winter, if he is to be believed, has said that Comrie won't play here. Wouldn't that mean that any direct contact he wants would only have something to do with a trade?

Where the **** is the *roll eyes* when you need it.
I asked if I was wrong, and, if you keep reading, I happen to call Rich a bonehead.

Just reporting what looked to be a contradiction....geez.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Slats432

Much goes on in the world of business. This is just one more cog in the wheel of negotiation.

As much as I am on the Oilers side in this negotiation, the truth lays somewhere in between.

"Mr. Lowe, Mr. Winter is on line two for you. He said he would like to schedule a meeting."

"Tell, Rich that I am busy test driving Porsches that day and to call me back in a week to schedule something."

Old
10-27-2003, 02:36 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
I asked if I was wrong, and, if you keep reading, I happen to call Rich a bonehead.

Just reporting what looked to be a contradiction....geez.
But you jumped to the conclusion that KLo was the one that could be telling a 'flat out lie'.

I'm a slow typer. Once I posted, I then read the rest of the comments made by faster typers. I can't read it till I see it.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
But you jumped to the conclusion that KLo was the one that could be telling a 'flat out lie'.

I'm a slow typer. Once I posted, I then read the rest of the comments made by faster typers. I can't read it till I see it.
I asked "Now, am I reading this wrong or did Lowe just flat-out lie?". I of course will not claim to know, but it looked suspicious to me, not unexpected, but suspicious and I don't exactly think there should be widespread applause about the way these proceedings are going. Just wanted to get in there before the thread became another "yay Kev" thread.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
speeds

Quote:
Just wanted to get in there before the thread became another "yay Kev" thread.
One of the few times I've been directly on board with Lowe, keep it up Mr. Lowe !!!

glad to see he put the ball back in Comrie's court, as well, saying he'd have him back.

Lowe had to say something sooner or later, all said looks like he's handling this really well, at this point. That is outside looking in though, so who really knows.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:51 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
I may be over-reading here, but that sounds like it's not about what's best for the team right now. Should we really be okay with that? I sure don't think so.
Honestly, I think it's an appropriate move by Lowe.

Sometimes perception can go a long way.

Based on all that has been written today, is it safe to assume Comrie is done here and is simply waiting for a trade? I would say yes.

Winter has said that Comrie holds the hammer in deciding what team Lowe can trade with. Based on that, I think it is reasonable to assume that Winter has "felt out" what contracts are out there from which teams and who will give the little suck the most money.

If Lowe runs to the table it just fuels the impression that he has to make the deal soon. If he acts indifferent to the urgency then the teams that Winter has felt out, won't be so quick to assume that this deal will be done on their terms (meaning Winter's and the other team).

Lowe is simply reinforcing the position that this deal (trade) will be done on his terms for what he feels is the best deal. Not Comries terms and the deals Winter negotiates with other for.

I don't know if that makes sense but I guess I am just saying this is simply just another step in the process.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:51 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
I asked "Now, am I reading this wrong or did Lowe just flat-out lie?". I of course will not claim to know, but it looked suspicious to me, not unexpected, but suspicious and I don't exactly think there should be widespread applause about the way these proceedings are going. Just wanted to get in there before the thread became another "yay Kev" thread.
Cool. And I said "I can't fathom your reason..." Apparently, your reason for the back handed accusation is that you're a **** disturber. Now that, I understand.

YAY KEV

Old
10-27-2003, 02:56 PM
vb

Quote:
So, in other words, his priority is not to doing the best thing for his hockey team? Not even booking for another time?
I've thought Winter was a slimeball going back to problems with Fuhr way back in the day. How do we know he isn't setting up Comrie to meet during times when he knows Lowe isn't available?

The only thing I hope is that Lowe goes for quality over quantity and skill over potential.

Imagine a Comrie and Hemsky for Gaborik deal....

Old
10-27-2003, 02:56 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Comrie+ for Gabs I would do, but not Hemsky, ya need the Hemsky-Gabs combo.

I have the strong inclination at this point to simply post "BAHHHH", but LD's replying, so I'll hold off

Old
10-27-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Cool. And I said "I can't fathom your reason..." Apparently, your reason for the back handed accusation is that you're a **** disturber. Now that, I understand.

YAY KEV
bingo. i mean, how many ways are there to "interpret" this?

it seems like pretty simple english to me. YAY KEV!

edit: don't worry LMHF... i never have much to say.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:09 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

don't know too much about PR, but I thought that was a good move by Lowe.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:00 PM
Digger12

Lowe hasn't exactly been at the top of my christmas card list lately, but this is one move that I approve of. I don't care how many games the Oilers lose in a row, the important thing here is that we get maximum value for Comrie, whether it be now or at the trade deadline.

Plus, we get the added bonus of watching Mr. Winter squirm like a worm on a hook. Dance, you puppet! Dance!

Old
10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
ZIM

vCash:
The press release contains the following

"Lowe says it has become increasingly apparent that Winter is trying to accelerate the process of what has become a difficult situation, but Lowe goes on to say, “I have made it perfectly clear to everyone, including Rich, that we will do what is best for the Edmonton Oilers. Even though they have gone public with their request to be traded , it changes nothing, and we will continue to focus on what we feel is the best course of action.”

So who has a link to either Comrie or Winter requesting a trade. I haven't seen one.

Closed Thread