HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe Issues Statement

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 09:54 AM
oilswell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The pressure Lowe is under now is pretty small compared to what might happen if he buggers up this deal.
Agreed.

I have never felt I understood the Comrie situation and this feeling is only getting worse.

Comrie has the negotiation hammer? I respectfully disagree. Lowe has the final decision on the deal. He won't deal unless he feels he has full value. So either Comrie is in the lineup or he has an equivalent come back. This is full value either way. This is equivalent to having the hammer in my book.

But it goes even beyond that. With that hammer neatly in hand already, it also means that any successful trading partner needs to be willing to give up enough. Both to Lowe and to Comrie. How likely to you think this is? This is a hammer extension: putting the hit on the Comrie camp's ability to strike deals with other teams.

To put it in Omar's terms, Lowe's looking for $2M in assests and Comrie is looking for a big payday (lets say $3M). If such a sucker is out there somewhere, that's a fine deal for both Comrie and Lowe and both would probably happily say "deal!". But if Lowe is demanding good assets, the number of realistic suitors might be small. They might only be willing to offer Comrie the insulting pittance of $1.3M. From their point of view, they'd be paying too much for Comrie if they'd have to give him big bucks AND give Lowe good return. Comrie can overvalue himself all he wants, but he will price himself out of the market.

Unless, of course, Lowe feels pressure to give up value at 10 cents on a dollar.

This might be Winter's motivation for the most recent bleatings to the press. Because unless Lowe backs down on the demands from other teams, they might not be whispering to Winter dollar figures much different than the Oilers are. This is all pure speculation though, from someone who really doesn't understand this process, but I think it makes a degree of sense.

It seems possible to me that there never will be a team that is willing to pay Comrie a lot of money and simultaneously give up fair value for him. Next year is likely a lockout year. Meanwhile, Comrie is not making money, and Winter isn't making money off his client. Comrie could have taken a 1-year >$1M deal (he was offered one, right?) and proven to Lowe that he's a bona fide 1st line centre that isn't going to cherry pick for his points. This would remove any "philosophical differences" as the Journal article suggested they exist. Instead they opted for going the risky route of possibly getting only marginally better contract after losing money holding out, likely reducing future value by coming into the season cold, and taking the risk of losing out 2 full years of revenue.

Its still looking like a gutsy game of chicken being played on the part of the Comrie camp. Gutsy, but quite possibly stupid.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:05 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Comrie has the negotiation hammer? I respectfully disagree. Lowe has the final decision on the deal.
Speaking of chickens, this is a chicken and egg situation. Lowe can arrange any deal he wants but without Comrie's signature on a contract there won't be a trade. Similarly, Winter can possibly arrange/suggest a trade that ultimately won't happen unless Lowe signs.

If Winter was really good as an agent there would be an "offer sheet" and Lowe would either match or accept compensation.

I'd rather be Comrie. You'd rather be Lowe. No problem.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
Fair enough.

The way I see it is Lowe is just waiting for the new CBA and the only losing move for the organization (so long as the fans are onside) is to accept a bad deal. The situation for the organization will not get appreciably worse by waiting a year. It may, in fact, get better (concessions on Comrie's camp, good deal, etc.).

Comrie, on the other hand, risks alienating the people in his home town and has little control because he is relying on Lowe and others to make the suitable offers. All for potentially little monetary reward while risking a loss in both short term and long term. Time is no ally for their camp.

You'd rather be Comrie, no problem. I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to say that's a bad decision. But good luck to you!

Old
10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Speaking of chickens, this is a chicken and egg situation. Lowe can arrange any deal he wants but without Comrie's signature on a contract there won't be a trade. Similarly, Winter can possibly arrange/suggest a trade that ultimately won't happen unless Lowe signs.

If Winter was really good as an agent there would be an "offer sheet" and Lowe would either match or accept compensation.

Based on the events of the last couple days (meaning Winter crying to the media) it would appear that Comrie is more anxious to see this thing settled than Lowe is.

Besides from Lowes perspective, the deal either works or it doesn't, it's pretty cut and dry. Comrie would have to look very close at giving up a chance to play for another team if the option was presented. Remember that any team that made a deal with Lowe but was rejected by Comrie would know exactly what the little suck is about and I don't think even Comrie is stupid enough to start burning other bridges around the league.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:12 PM
momentai

Quote:

Partially. But the fact remains that Lowe can sit in his office and forget about Comrie until he's 31 and still be in the hockey business and running his team. Comrie will be out of hockey and have to adjust to his new lifestyle and find a new career elsewhere. I do realize Comrie has enough resources to survive (and well at that)... but Comrie has to be the one willing to give up the game of hockey; this is not such an especially easy decision. It just hurts Comrie more if the two sides never reach a deal.

If Winter coordinated an offer sheet... Lowe is in a much better position. If he wants, he can now match the offer in Canadian dollars or take the 5 first round draft picks.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
MrMackey

Quote:

If the situation is more about philosophical differences, and Comrie truly wants to be traded - then he doesn't have much leverage in turning down contracts.

I don't think that anyone would sign Comrie to an offer sheet because the compensation would probably be greater than the cost of a trade.

I'd rather be Comrie too, because I could make more money that way and my dad would be rich. But I still think that Lowe holds the most cards in this particular hand.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:13 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
My problem with the link is that, once again, this is what Kevin Lowe is saying a player (note he doesn't even identify the player) said to him. Anything I've ever seen or read quoting Comrie he skips around the issue. That's why I've asked for quotes attributed to Comrie or Winter.

Until then, for me at least, Lowe's statement is nothing more than another shot in the PR war. IMHO the real truth lies somewhere between "lie" and "truth" and is a matter of interpretation.
Well you see, I study character for a living and it’s obvious to me that you don’t. My skills tell me that I can believe what KLo is saying. He has continually, earned my respect with his honesty and accountability extraordinaire, since 1979.

Winter, on the other hand, has earned my disdain and distrust by spewing verbal diarrhea, whenever I’ve seen him open his mouth. I know **** when I see it. I don’t need to hear what Comrie has to say. He pays Winter to speak for him. That tells me enough.

Winter (Comrie) is getting nervous. That’s why he poked the coals and helped the media blow hot air on the flames. He wants a ‘wildfire’ of fan frenzy to force Klo’s hand.

Lowe’s statement was damage control, raining on the parade, if you will.

Everything is subject to perception/interpretation.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:42 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Well you see, I study character for a living and it’s obvious to me that you don’t. My skills tell me that I can believe what KLo is saying. He has continually, earned my respect with his honesty and accountability extraordinaire, since 1979.

Winter, on the other hand, has earned my disdain and distrust by spewing verbal diarrhea, whenever I’ve seen him open his mouth. I know **** when I see it. I don’t need to hear what Comrie has to say. He pays Winter to speak for him. That tells me enough.

Winter (Comrie) is getting nervous. That’s why he poked the coals and helped the media blow hot air on the flames. He wants a ‘wildfire’ of fan frenzy to force Klo’s hand.

Lowe’s statement was damage control, raining on the parade, if you will.

Everything is subject to perception/interpretation.
Your right, I don't study character for a living. What I have observed about yours however is that:
A. you like to play
B. you like to take personal shots

Well, allow me to say, and I'm quoting, " I know **** when I see it."

And what makes you think for an instant that Winter's attempts will have any impact on Lowe. Judging by the reaction on this forum anything Winter does is seen in a negative light and only serves to make Lowe more the hero. Maybe in need of a skills tuneup?

Old
10-28-2003, 08:47 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
If Winter coordinated an offer sheet... Lowe is in a much better position. If he wants, he can now match the offer in Canadian dollars or take the 5 first round draft picks.
This is something I was wondering about the other day... it's not an automatic 5 first round picks, it's a scale based on average annual salary. What I'm wondering is if bonuses are included when calculating the average annual salary.

For example, take Comrie's last deal. A base salary of approx $1 million, plus annual bonuses of up to $3.5 million. For CBA purposes, would that contract be considered to be an average annual salary of $1 million, or $4.5 million, or somewhere in between?

(here's the relevant section of the CBA...)
http://www.sabrefans.com/history/nhlcba/nhlcba10.html

and here's the compensation scale:

Quote:
OFFER
DRAFT CHOICE(S)

$400,000 OR BELOW
NONE

OVER $400,000 TO AND INCLUDING $550,000
THIRD ROUND

OVER $550,000 TO AND INCLUDING $650,000
SECOND ROUND

OVER $650,000 TO AND INCLUDING $800,000
FIRST ROUND

OVER $800,000 TO AND INCLUDING $1.0 MILLION
FIRST AND THIRD ROUND

OVER $1.0 MILLION TO AND INCLUDING $1.2 MILLION
FIRST AND SECOND ROUND

OVER $1.2 MILLION TO AND INCLUDING $1.4 MILLION
TWO FIRST ROUNDS

OVER $1.4 MILLION TO AND INCLUDING $1.7 MILLION
TWO FIRST ROUNDS AND ONE SECOND ROUND

OVER $1.7 MILLION
THREE FIRST ROUNDS

EACH ADDITIONAL MILLION
ADDITIONAL FIRST ROUND, UP TO MAXIMUM OF FIVE FIRST ROUND
PICKS

The dollar amounts set forth in the scale outlined above shall be
increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of
increase as Average League Salary, with the 1997/98 League Year
being the first year such increase shall take effect.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Dale

Philosophical differences have been sited in the media and it appears that money is not the issue but rather Comrie's perception of how much Lowe values him. Comrie sees himself as an impact player, preferably a # 1, possibly 2 center, getting lots of top level icetime. He seems to think that Lowe no longer sees him as that type of player and he's probably right.

His role on the team was gradually reduced last year and I think he feels this trend would continue if he stays in Edmonton. That's why he wants out. From what Lowe appears willing to pay Comrie, it appears that Lowe may think Comrie's ceiling of development is lower than he first thought.

If this is the case however, maybe Lowe should lower his expectations on what he should receive back as fair compensation in a trade.

Fine to say Lowe has the hammer but the Oilers have little money and limited assets so I can't see a huge advantage going to Lowe. If he's really doing the best for the team and not letting his personal feelings take over then he will work very hard towards the best REASONABLE trade he can do in a REASONABLE amount of time. (not that I have a huge amount of faith in Lowe's trades but Comrie is a pretty attractive chip)

Letting Comrie sit for months or even years as some have suggested shouldnt happen in Edmonton unless teaching a supposed spoiled hockey player a lesson is worth diminishing an asset.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Philosophical differences have been sited in the media and it appears that money is not the issue but rather Comrie's perception of how much Lowe values him.
I for one am beginning to find these "philosophical differences" a litle fishy.. Have you noticed that everything Winter says to the media mentions that "ourselves and Kevin Lowe are still miles apart on a contract" .. just recently, he made that bold statement that there was a 100% chance that Comrie wouldn't play in Edmonton again. He immediately followed this up with the fact that the Lowe and Comrie camps were extremely far apart on a contract.. he finally followed this up with his now infamous "I read Marx in University and I think I can impress people by using his name in an analogy" quote! I've been trying to give Mikey the benefit of the doubt throughout this dispute but I'm beginning to think these philosophical differences might merely be a smoke-screen he's throwing up to try and get more money.. :mad:

Old
10-29-2003, 06:15 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
This is something I was wondering about the other day... it's not an automatic 5 first round picks, it's a scale based on average annual salary. What I'm wondering is if bonuses are included when calculating the average annual salary.

For example, take Comrie's last deal. A base salary of approx $1 million, plus annual bonuses of up to $3.5 million. For CBA purposes, would that contract be considered to be an average annual salary of $1 million, or $4.5 million, or somewhere in between?
I think it's just the base contract but I wonder about the bonus clauses in those. But, either way, if someone is going to make an offer sheet of about 2.5 million dollars US, Kevin Lowe could still match that offer in Canadian money. Lowe saves money and gets Comrie under contract because you can be sure Lowe wouldn't let him go if the offer sheet wasn't a high enough amount.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:18 AM
momentai

Quote:
Judging by the reaction on this forum anything Winter does is seen in a negative light and only serves to make Lowe more the hero.
Not really. Winter is just doing his job... Poorly, but what can you do since he is in a rather weak position at the moment. However, it is one, I can say he orchestrated (at least in part) by himself.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:27 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
I think it's just the base contract but I wonder about the bonus clauses in those. But, either way, if someone is going to make an offer sheet of about 2.5 million dollars US, Kevin Lowe could still match that offer in Canadian money. Lowe saves money and gets Comrie under contract because you can be sure Lowe wouldn't let him go if the offer sheet wasn't a high enough amount.
If you are correct then my strategy would be:
1. Comrie signs an "offer sheet" with a base salary that entitles the Oilers to no compensation and
2. the contract contains easily attainable bonus targets and
3. the contract contains difficult bonus targets that ensure that Comrie gets paid like the superstar he thinks he is if he plays like one.

Lowe could then match followed by trade if he doesn't like, not match and get no compensation, or match, keep Mike and pay for performance.

All of this based on your comment about compensation based on base contract.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:36 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Philosophical differences have been sited in the media and it appears that money is not the issue but rather Comrie's perception of how much Lowe values him. Comrie sees himself as an impact player, preferably a # 1, possibly 2 center, getting lots of top level icetime. He seems to think that Lowe no longer sees him as that type of player and he's probably right.
That's about what I've been able to think. And I'm finding the term "philosophical differences" soo funny now.

Its money, money, money. Money.

Lowe's "philosophy": 23 year old players get paid well down on the team's salary scale, and don't deserve big money long term deals. Especially if they're players with 2nd line upside. Somewhere around $1.5 mil is good comp on a 1 year, so I'll offer 1.3 mil.

Comrie's "philosophy": 1st line superstars get paid big bucks and the organization should be willing to commit big money even through to the new CBA. I therefore deserve near Smyth's salary so I'll start the counter-offer at $4mil/year for 3.

When the "philosophy" is about what a player is worth, its merely a money matter. To say Comrie isn't after the money is now threatening to seem laughable. If non-money issues were only the issue, maybe this would have already happened:

Lowe: Hey bud, sorry about the hissy fit after the playoffs. I just hate losing and I get mad sometimes. I promise not to do it again. Karen is taking me to anger managment classes and everything. You're a huge star player and the organization really needs you to run the 1st line and PP because, just between you and me, all the other players here are talentless bums.

Comrie: You damn right.

Lowe: So we're square, right? Come on back. We'll give you primo ice time like we've done since you came here. Here's a contract for $1.3 mil.

Comrie: Done. It was never about the money.

Seem likely? Sorry, I'm having a hard time stopping myself from laughing when the Comrie camp is citing "philosophical differences".

Old
10-29-2003, 06:46 AM
momentai

Quote:
If you are correct then my strategy would be:
1. Comrie signs an "offer sheet" with a base salary that entitles the Oilers to no compensation and
2. the contract contains easily attainable bonus targets and
3. the contract contains difficult bonus targets that ensure that Comrie gets paid like the superstar he thinks he is if he plays like one.

Lowe could then match followed by trade if he doesn't like, not match and get no compensation, or match, keep Mike and pay for performance.

All of this based on your comment about compensation based on base contract.
I didn't say it was only based on base contract. I wondered whether or not bonuses were added to it as well. We have no idea if compensation includes bonus clauses or not. We'd probably have to ask Buffaloed for that information as he's probably the resident expert on the CBA.

There's a reason why owners don't do that, though. Else they would have offered a contract like that for Peca (during his holdout), Gaborik, Havlat, Lecavalier, and the list goes on. The owners are very hesitant to make offer sheets at all. It is kind of an unwritten rule that they do not go this route. It's counterproductive as it gets one owner the player, but kills the rest when it comes to contract negotiations.

The owners themselves know that is a dangerous path to take and they are very rarely willing to do that with younger players in holdout situations.

EDIT: Looked it up.
" The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the Compensation contained in the
Principal Terms (as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New
Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing such Compensation by
the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five),
based on the following scale:
"

Old
10-29-2003, 07:03 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
I didn't say it was only based on base contract. I wondered whether or not bonuses were added to it as well. We have no idea if compensation includes bonus clauses or not. We'd probably have to ask Buffaloed for that information as he's probably the resident expert on the CBA.

There's a reason why owners don't do that, though. Else they would have offered a contract like that for Peca (during his holdout), Gaborik, Havlat, Lecavalier, and the list goes on. The owners are very hesitant to make offer sheets at all. It is kind of an unwritten rule that they do not go this route. It's counterproductive as it gets one owner the player, but kills the rest when it comes to contract negotiations.

The owners themselves know that is a dangerous path to take and they are very rarely willing to do that with younger players in holdout situations.

" The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the Compensation contained in the
"

Average compensation. So much for my base salary strategy. Seeing as I'm Comrie I guess I'll have to find a new strategy although, quite frankly, I appear to be running out of options.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:08 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
That's about what I've been able to think. And I'm finding the term "philosophical differences" soo funny now.

Its money, money, money. Money.

Lowe's "philosophy": 23 year old players get paid well down on the team's salary scale, and don't deserve big money long term deals. Especially if they're players with 2nd line upside. Somewhere around $1.5 mil is good comp on a 1 year, so I'll offer 1.3 mil.

Comrie's "philosophy": 1st line superstars get paid big bucks and the organization should be willing to commit big money even through to the new CBA. I therefore deserve near Smyth's salary so I'll start the counter-offer at $4mil/year for 3.

When the "philosophy" is about what a player is worth, its merely a money matter. To say Comrie isn't after the money is now threatening to seem laughable. If non-money issues were only the issue, maybe this would have already happened:

Lowe: Hey bud, sorry about the hissy fit after the playoffs. I just hate losing and I get mad sometimes. I promise not to do it again. Karen is taking me to anger managment classes and everything. You're a huge star player and the organization really needs you to run the 1st line and PP because, just between you and me, all the other players here are talentless bums.

Comrie: You damn right.

Lowe: So we're square, right? Come on back. We'll give you primo ice time like we've done since you came here. Here's a contract for $1.3 mil.

Comrie: Done. It was never about the money.

Seem likely? Sorry, I'm having a hard time stopping myself from laughing when the Comrie camp is citing "philosophical differences".
Awesome post. I was just about to say something similar, but probably not as well. The philosophical differences relate to "respect", supposedly, but how does a GM show their respect for a given player? By how much they pay that player is about it, right?

Lowe doesn't control a guy's ice time or what line he plays on, just how much he earns (per game, per goal, etc.). If Lowe is offering the $1.3-$1.5 million in base salary, Comrie is taking that to mean he's not respected by Lowe and the entire organization, so he doesn't want to play here no more...(sic)

I'm like most people here - I wish Comrie would ask Lowe for a trade sometime during the year, but take the low base salary for a year, show his stuff on the ice & up his trade value so that he can hold the next team 'ransom' for some re$pect next off-season.

Bart

Old
10-29-2003, 09:00 AM
momentai

Quote:
Average compensation. So much for my base salary strategy. Seeing as I'm Comrie I guess I'll have to find a new strategy although, quite frankly, I appear to be running out of options.
Well.. that isn't too surprising for Comrie's situation. The younger you are as a player, the less options you have. Doing what Rich Winter is doing certainly doesn't help matters in any case.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Your right, I don't study character for a living. What I have observed about yours however is that:
A. you like to play
B. you like to take personal shots

Well, allow me to say, and I'm quoting, " I know **** when I see it."
Well, you're right about A. However, that's an easy one.

You're wrong about B. I don't like to take personal shots. Altho, I have nothing against someone getting a verbal 'smack up side the head', if they are just being antagonistic.

I only said one thing that you could possibly take as a personal shot. And that was in response to you saying that, to you, Winter and Comrie have more credibility than KLo. If you believe that, then I'm sorry, but you don't know **** when you see it.
Quote:
And what makes you think for an instant that Winter's attempts will have any impact on Lowe. Judging by the reaction on this forum anything Winter does is seen in a negative light and only serves to make Lowe more the hero.
I think you misread my words. I said: "He wants a ‘wildfire’ of fan frenzy to force Klo’s hand."
Quote:
Maybe in need of a skills tuneup?
I'll take that under advisement.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Well, you're right about A. However, that's an easy one.

You're wrong about B. I don't like to take personal shots. Altho, I have nothing against someone getting a verbal 'smack up side the head', if they are just being antagonistic.

I only said one thing that you could possibly take as a personal shot. And that was in response to you saying that, to you, Winter and Comrie have more credibility than KLo. If you believe that, then I'm sorry, but you don't know **** when you see it.I think you misread my words. I said: "He wants a ‘wildfire’ of fan frenzy to force Klo’s hand."I'll take that under advisement.
If we communicate enough maybe you and I will get on the same page and if not on the same page then at least we might understand the others point of view.
The personal shot you took, as I perceived was:
"Well you see, I study character for a living and it’s obvious to me that you don’t. My skills tell me ..."
My reading of this is that you have a "skill" that you claim I don't and that this makes you superior. That may or may not have been your intent, that's how I took it and responded accordingly.

If you want to attack/disagree with my perception of Winter, Comrie, Lowe I have no problem with that. That's what this forum is for, to discuss ideas about HOCKEY, not my personnel skills. Attending school, seminars etc one of the standard lines is there are no stupid questions. If I ask a stupid question or take a position on this forum that seems stupid or turns out to be wrong I integrate the corrected information. To my distress I am learning more about Type II free agents than anyone should have to know.

In terms of credibility I have never claimed that Winter/Comrie are more credible than Lowe. I don't happen to believe any of them nor are they lying. It's like watching liberals and conservatives argue an issue. Both sides believe what they are saying, they shout it so loud everyone can hear but they never listen.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
"

I'm still not sure performance bonuses are included when you're calculating average annual salary...

Section 10.3e:
Quote:
(e) For the purposes of this Article, the Principal Terms of
an Offer Sheet are limited to the term, Paragraph 1 Salary and
Signing Bonus and Reporting Bonus the New Club offers to the
Restricted Free Agent (currently and/or as deferred compensation
in specified installments on specified dates) in consideration
for his services as a hockey player under the Player Contract.
Depending on the definitions of Paragraph 1 Salary, Signing Bonus, and Reporting Bonus, it doesn't say anything about performance bonuses that I can see.

I hope Rich Winter isn't a reader here- we could be giving him ideas :p

Old
10-29-2003, 03:16 PM
momentai

Quote:
I'm still not sure performance bonuses are included when you're calculating average annual salary...
Neither am I really. It's all very vague.

Regardless, Winter is going to have a tough time finding another team to make an offer sheet. Better players than Comrie have been available and nothing has been done. It isn't likely Rich is going to have this as a way out.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Allan

Quote:

Section 10.3e:

Depending on the definitions of Paragraph 1 Salary, Signing Bonus, and Reporting Bonus, it doesn't say anything about performance bonuses that I can see.

I hope Rich Winter isn't a reader here- we could be giving him ideas :p
It's not really a new idea anyway. Didn't Carolina offer Fedorov a contract like that, with team bonuses which made it a more expensive contract for the Wings than for the Canes? I believe there was a $26 million signing bonus, about $2 million per year base salary, and a ton of bonuses, mostly for team performance.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:32 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It's not really a new idea anyway. Didn't Carolina offer Fedorov a contract like that, with team bonuses which made it a more expensive contract for the Wings than for the Canes? I believe there was a $26 million signing bonus, about $2 million per year base salary, and a ton of bonuses, mostly for team performance.
Very close I think. $14 signing. $2 salary. $12 bonus for the team reaching the conference finals.

The Canes weren't going to reach the finals, whereas the Wings had a good shot. They won the cup that year and the Wings dished out a jawdropping $27 mil to Fedorov within 4 months.

What kind of offer bonus would the Oilers balk at?
$1.3 mil in salary
$2.7 mil signing bonus
$10 mil bonus if the team's #1 goalie posts a .905 average or lower

or

$10 mil bonus if the team blows 10 third period leads in the year

Either of those last two would scare away the Oilers for sure...

Closed Thread