HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe Issues Statement

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:09 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
What kind of offer bonus would the Oilers balk at?
$1.3 mil in salary
$2.7 mil signing bonus
$10 mil bonus if the team's #1 goalie posts a .905 average or lower

$10 mil bonus if the team blows 10 third period leads in the year

PP ranking? :p

Old
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It's not really a new idea anyway. Didn't Carolina offer Fedorov a contract like that, with team bonuses which made it a more expensive contract for the Wings than for the Canes? I believe there was a $26 million signing bonus, about $2 million per year base salary, and a ton of bonuses, mostly for team performance.
Structuring an offer-sheet to make it hard for the old team to match isn't a new idea... but I can't recall any offer-sheets that were designed to minimalize the draft-pick compensation received by the old team.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:48 PM
barto

I think the Canes offer was something like a huge bonus if the team made the playoffs or finished higher than a certain position, which effectively made it payable only by the Wings if they decided to match the offer. I thought the league office tried to squelch that one, or at least stop it from happening again...

Old
10-29-2003, 07:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I think the Canes offer was something like a huge bonus if the team made the playoffs or finished higher than a certain position, which effectively made it payable only by the Wings if they decided to match the offer. I thought the league office tried to squelch that one, or at least stop it from happening again...
If memory serves me right - and I'm about 99.99% sure, it was if the team made it to the Conference finals. It was a good idea by the 'Canes!

Old
10-30-2003, 06:35 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
They ruled it was counter to the CBA but an arbitrator overturned that decision and let the offer stand.

I like the idea of avoiding draft compensation, but isn't the compensation based on prior years' base salary without bonuses. Comrie's salary was mostly bonuses. Based on the formula, Comrie could probably be poached as a Group II for the cost of two 1st rounders (inflation). This would put an upper bound on Comrie's trade value, no?

Old
10-30-2003, 06:39 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
They ruled it was counter to the CBA but an arbitrator overturned that decision and let the offer stand.

I like the idea of avoiding draft compensation, but isn't the compensation based on prior years' base salary without bonuses. Comrie's salary was mostly bonuses. Based on the formula, Comrie could probably be poached as a Group II for the cost of two 1st rounders (inflation). This would put an upper bound on Comrie's trade value, no?

Ya, if somebody wants to do it, I'd welcome the two first rounders happily!

Old
10-30-2003, 06:46 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:

The draft-pick compensation is based on the new offer-sheet.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:51 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Within section 10 of the CBA at the bottom it says
10.5. Draft Choice Compensation for Restricted Free Agents
Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right
of First Refusal pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to
obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the New Club. The number
and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based
on the average annual value of the Compensation contained in the
Principal Terms
(as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New
Club's Offer Sheet
(determined by dividing such Compensation by
the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five),
based on the following scale:

here's the link

Given the complexity involved in interpreting the CBA I make no claims as to the legality or the pertinence of the information.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:58 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Sounds good but still is a risk (e.g. getting two 1st rounders from Detroit or Colorado...maybe great, maybe you get nothing).

Thanks to all for pointing out its based on the new salary, I just didn't read it carefully. No hablo Legalese.

Does this mean if someone offered Comrie $399k base salary and a $16 million dollar signing bonus for a 4 year contract, they could walk away with him for nothing?

Old
10-30-2003, 09:34 AM
momentai

Quote:
Sounds good but still is a risk (e.g. getting two 1st rounders from Detroit or Colorado...maybe great, maybe you get nothing).

Thanks to all for pointing out its based on the new salary, I just didn't read it carefully. No hablo Legalese.

Does this mean if someone offered Comrie $399k base salary and a $16 million dollar signing bonus for a 4 year contract, they could walk away with him for nothing?
Wouldn't Bettman and the NHL get involved again, though? I'm pretty sure they'd try something to get that kind of contract halted. Who knows what the arbitrator would decide on this case. There's no guarantee the contract would fly.

Closed Thread