HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

worried about the back-to-back leaf games

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
canada_habs2006

vCash: 500
worried about the back-to-back leaf games

for some reason, whenever Montreal and Leafs play, nothing seems to matter when looking at the teams play from previous dates.

its like montreal vs toronto happens in a whole different world. bizzare things happens, and usually there is an unfair result.

the leafs always seem to be better vs Montreal than Montreal vs the leafs, and it worrie me that they play back to back.

i could see Montreal completely outplaying Toronto on Thursday, but losing because Tellquist plays good and the refs help out the leafs or something. Then montreal becomes all depressed and just doesn't perform on Saturday

and losing two in a row to Toronto will be extremely costly, as they will gain 4 points on us. WE MUST WIN at one of those games, and winning both would be so huge.

Old
03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Capitano

I'm EXTREMELY worried about the 2 games against the Leafs...

Cap

Old
03-20-2006, 07:42 AM
zx81

I'm more worried about the 2 games before.
I think they'll win both games against the Leafs but they may lose the games in Washington and New-York.

Old
03-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Darz

I agree that Montreal versus Toronto is usually very unpredicable hockey, but again, if the habs can't get up for these games and put out a 110% effort, we have no right making the playoffs, so....

I like out chances in our next 8 or so games, and feel as long as we get an acceptable goaltending performance we have a good chance in winning them all.

I'm not going to worry about Thursday or Saturdays game yet....lets focus on Washington tonight.

03-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I agree that Montreal versus Toronto is usually very unpredicable hockey, but again, if the habs can't get up for these games and put out a 110% effort, we have no right making the playoffs, so....

I like out chances in our next 8 or so games, and feel as long as we get an acceptable goaltending performance we have a good chance in winning them all.

I'm not going to worry about Thursday or Saturdays game yet....lets focus on Washington tonight.
You're right Darz...we have no business being in the playoffs if we can't get up for the games on thursday and saturday.

Our guys have to realize that this is crunch time. They have to elevate their play. This is the time when our leaders have to step up.

If we can win 3 of our next 4 I'll have a little more confidence in us, but right now we just haven't been good.

Cap

Old
03-20-2006, 08:52 AM
e-e

i believe that we'll take both wins agains laffs. in fact i have feeling that we're gonna have very good week.

Old
03-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e
i believe that we'll take both wins agains laffs. in fact i have feeling that we're gonna have very good week.
We certainly need a good week!

Cap

Old
03-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
So, we've had our share of "must-win games" these past few weeks, now it's a "must-win week!" 3 of 4 games against teams fighting for that last playoff spot and another against a team that "we should beat" but who has spanked us twice this year.

This team could potentially be swept by both Washington and Pittsburgh this year...

Old
03-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Strohmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006
for some reason, whenever Montreal and Leafs play, nothing seems to matter when looking at the teams play from previous dates.

its like montreal vs toronto happens in a whole different world. bizzare things happens, and usually there is an unfair result.

the leafs always seem to be better vs Montreal than Montreal vs the leafs, and it worrie me that they play back to back.

i could see Montreal completely outplaying Toronto on Thursday, but losing because Tellquist plays good and the refs help out the leafs or something. Then montreal becomes all depressed and just doesn't perform on Saturday

and losing two in a row to Toronto will be extremely costly, as they will gain 4 points on us. WE MUST WIN at one of those games, and winning both would be so huge.
Usually Montreal/ Toronto games are 1 goal games. So hopefully if anything stupid happens in
the first game it will happen in overtime so we can at least salvage a point. Then, the team not
being totally despondent will loosen up and pound the Leafs in game 2. ( 2 games= 3 points).

Also it's usually Belfour that plays so well against us so perhaps if Telquivst starts we can get to
him early and keep rolling from there.

Old
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
AH

The only thing I ever worry about whenever there are Hab / Leaf games are the game threads. Leaf fans on the various message boards start tossing out certain words like Frogs / Frenchie / and other insults like yesterday's garbage.

That kind of stuff bothers me, a lot more than the actual result of the hockey game.

Old
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Nihilism

I would be worried too. The officals handed the Leafs three wins this year against Montreal, plus latley with all those 5on3's and goofy penalty shots don't be suprised if you see alot of Canadiens sitting in the penalty box.

Old
03-20-2006, 10:06 AM

I've been concerned with the Habs lack of killer instinct this year, think about the last Toronto game, the Tampa Bay game, both games that could of buried those teams under us, and in both occasions we came up short...that sort of thing doesn't bode well...alot of people last week were too busy wondering who the Habs would rather face in the playoffs or what goalie should be our starter in the playoffs, I had a feeling we'd have a let down

We're a young team so nothing is given...

We'll be able to tell tonight if the Habs are worthy of a playoff position IMO, they've got to come out and bury the Caps, anything less is just not good enough IMO.

Old
03-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Habstract0

We should be worried about the Leafs.

Not because of the Leafs.

Because of the referees.

There's something fishy going on. The Leafs are slow and they grab and hook a lot. But in the past month they always enjoyed more PP than their opponents.

It's ALWAYS the case against the Habs. You can count on it. The Habs will need the beat the Leafs despite the refs giving 10-12 PP to the Leafs.

Old
03-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
I'm worried about the games, too. I think Montreal can win, but they need to play their best.

Old
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Evil Ted

We always get the bad breaks when we play the leafs, like giving then pps to start ot, or 7 straight pps including a couple 5on3s.

hopefully our badluck has run out

Old
03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Teufelsdreck

The world of frogs is highly diverse. Some large frogs are carnivorous--they eat small mammals! Chewing up leaves shouldn't be a problem, especially with referees who don't have to worry about the ACC crowd.

Old
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Ross MacLochness

It's always something when we play that damn team.

It's either a chintz penalty at 19:59 of the 3rd period of a tie game (Rivet), or a goal from the 1st row seats (Allison), or 7 straight penalties, or Toronto just stepping up and playing a solid game while our guys don't seem to concerned or interested (which is usually the case)

I have lost all faith in games against the Leafs and those 2 games are already losses as far as I'm concerned.

Old
03-20-2006, 01:27 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco

It's either a chintz penalty at 19:59 of the 3rd period of a tie game (Rivet), or a goal from the 1st row seats (Allison), or 7 straight penalties, or Toronto just stepping up and playing a solid game while our guys don't seem to concerned or interested (which is usually the case)

I have lost all faith in games against the Leafs and those 2 games are already losses as far as I'm concerned.
So true!

I think the Habs should plan their season's end accordingly:
Play the Leafs hard and, obviously try to win, but not to count on getting any points out of it.
We should also make sure we win against WAS, NYI and PITT( ) and not worry about the 2 games in between vs. the Laffs.
6 out of 10 points and we should be OK, any points vs TO would be a bonus...

Old
03-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco

Sad as this sounds, it echoes my sentiments completely.

Cap

Old
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I said before Saturday, the Pitts and Washington games were very importants.

Winning both would be a playoff berth clinch.
Loosing one would be running after trouble.
Loosing both would be "been in trouble".

So we needs tonight win, i'll start to worry for the next games in times.

Old
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
leafs gonna sweep the habs..mark my word

Old
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
canadiens11

maybe ill go to the game... then we're sure to win

Old
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
Big words my man!
We'll just have to wait and see...

Old
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Montreal4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
Never trust someone who actually likes Jason Allison LOL

Old
03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL

We'll be able to tell tonight if the Habs are worthy of a playoff position IMO, they've got to come out and bury the Caps, anything less is just not good enough IMO.

I agree about killer instinct but it's not like anyone who beats Washington can make the playoffs.
I don't want to pick on you but you're not the only one who said we don't deserve to make the playoffs if we lose against <insert next opponent>.
Like I said in another post in another thread, how can you say to your team this is a must win but thursday is more of a must and saturday is more than, etc. They are all important as were the 65 or so games before them.

What if we lose both to Toronto but beat Ottawa and Buffalo and NJ? We don't deserve the playoffs?
If we finish 9th we don't deserve the playoffs, any other claims is just overreacting.

This will be settle in April and there's a lot of hockey still to be played.

Closed Thread