HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What is it about Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Peter25

vCash: 500
What is it about Kovalchuk?

Why does he seem to get so much hate especially from Canadian people? I donīt see Americans hating the kid like some Canadians seem to hate him.

I also donīt see any other player getting this type of negative attention from SCORING GOALS like Kovalchuk does. What is it about him?

I donīt want to bash all Canadian hockey fans because there are many intelligent people among them. But I canīt help to notice that almost every poster who has bashed Kovalchuk on this board seems to be from Canada.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:26 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
i don't think i've ever seen so many threads started about one player in the span of a week.

my guess is that many are still better over what happened in the wjc a few years ago. No I, though.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25
Why does he seem to get so much hate especially from Canadian people? I donīt see Americans hating the kid like some Canadians seem to hate him.

I also donīt see any other player getting this type of negative attention from SCORING GOALS like Kovalchuk does. What is it about him?

I donīt want to bash all Canadian hockey fans because there are many intelligent people among them. But I canīt help to notice that almost every poster who has bashed Kovalchuk on this board seems to be from Canada.
Its the fact that he acted like he scored a Stanley Cup winning goal, in game 5 or 6 of the year...ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE!

Old
10-27-2003, 01:27 PM
MHJS

WJC 2000/2001, same reason a lot of people hate Svitov, but for a different reason. Ilya was a hot dog, Svitov just spit on players, and threw snowballs at them, and punched people in the back of the head....

Old
10-27-2003, 01:28 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

There is an unspoken rule that if you ever do anything to slight the sacred Canadian WJC team then a ton of people will never let you forget it. This is why we still hear about Kovalchuk celebrating that empty net goal years ago that eliminated Canada (despite the fact that the Canadian team are probably the most notorious over-celebrators around; but you don't hear people complaining about Scott Upshall throwing his stick in the crowd after scoring a goal), why you still hear junk about Svitov, about Ovechkin, and about plenty of others. The same applies to Dominik Hasek, who commited the cardinal sin of outplaying Canada during the 1998 olympics.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

That's a good point. It seems that a lot of Kovalchuk hating comes from Sens & Leafs fans. I think some Sens fans feel that their own young phenom is not getting enough love on these boards -- so they try to build him up by tearing Kovalchuk down. Judging by the number of threads about Kovy, the kid is the most exciting presence in the league. And a feared one. Not a bad feat for a 20 year old.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
who_me?

personally I love it when Canadians and the Canadian media go ape-wild whenever Kovalchuk does something on the ice. I think it's absolutely hilarious

Old
10-27-2003, 01:55 PM
JoeLH

Ilya Kovalchuk is one of the greatest young players in the world, perhaps the one with the highest goal scoring capacity. He earns the respect of ALL hockey fans for being one of the superstars of the NHL in the future.

Old
10-27-2003, 01:59 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
The same applies to Dominik Hasek, who commited the cardinal sin of outplaying Canada during the 1998 olympics.
if you are implying that people dislike Hasek because he beat Canada in the Olympics you need your head checked.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
There is an unspoken rule that if you ever do anything to slight the sacred Canadian WJC team then a ton of people will never let you forget it. This is why we still hear about Kovalchuk celebrating that empty net goal years ago that eliminated Canada (despite the fact that the Canadian team are probably the most notorious over-celebrators around; but you don't hear people complaining about Scott Upshall throwing his stick in the crowd after scoring a goal), why you still hear junk about Svitov, about Ovechkin, and about plenty of others. The same applies to Dominik Hasek, who commited the cardinal sin of outplaying Canada during the 1998 olympics.
Why is it everytime a person criticises Kovalchuk that that person is accused of having some hidden agenda, or some hatred to Ilya the person , or some anti-Euro bias, or some pro Spezza bias, or some pro-Cdn WJC bia or is a racist, or ....etc?
Every frickin time.
Its not as if its a black/white issue but one would think that the criticisim has no basis at all.
I guess Ilya's above reproach & lord knows, you better not ever criticize his behaviour, or the rath of HF Board posters will befall you.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
if you are implying that people dislike Hasek because he beat Canada in the Olympics you need your head checked.
There are plenty of people who do. The number of anti-Hasek comments I've witnessed increased tenfold after that tournament. I remember an interesting comment from the tsn.ca webmaster after the 2002 Olympics (where Hasek was the standout in a 3-3 Canada-Czech Republic tie) about how he had gotten a ton of emails claiming that Hasek was "just lucky". His response was "if Hasek was 'just lucky', then he's been 'just lucky' for close to a decade".

Old
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Why is it everytime a person criticises Kovalchuk that that person is accused of having some hidden agenda, or some hatred to Ilya the person , or some anti-Euro bias, or some pro Spezza bias, or some pro-Cdn WJC bia or is a racist, or ....etc?
Every frickin time.
Its not as if its a black/white issue but one would think that the criticisim has no basis at all.
I guess Ilya's above reproach & lord knows, you better not ever criticize his behaviour, or the rath of HF Board posters will befall you.
Why is it the people who criticize Ilya rarely apply the same type of criticism to other players who do the same things? That Messier thread being a perfect example of it.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:03 PM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
That's a good point. It seems that a lot of Kovalchuk hating comes from Sens & Leafs fans. I think some Sens fans feel that their own young phenom is not getting enough love on these boards -- so they try to build him up by tearing Kovalchuk down. Judging by the number of threads about Kovy, the kid is the most exciting presence in the league. And a feared one. Not a bad feat for a 20 year old.

Yeah, I guess Jason Spezza is shaking in his boots because he would soon feel the wrath of Ilya's hair-pulling abilites...

Gimme a break.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
The post above yours proves your point, Epsilon.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Yeah, I guess Jason Spezza is shaking in his boots because he would soon feel the wrath of Ilya's hair-pulling abilites...

Gimme a break.
Here's a perfect example of what people are talking about Kovalchuk's opponent cheated by not tying down his jersey, then tried to run away from the fight, but then it's Kovalchuk's fault that he only way he could steady him to land some punches was to grab the top of his head?

Old
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Habsolution

Quote:

I am from Canada and I really like Kovalchuk. I liked Heatley better because he was performing very well and everything. But so far I'm really amazed at what Kovalchuk has done being almost alone on this team. I knew he was good but not THAT good.

I have absolutely no beef against Kovalchuk's celebrations. He loves the game, he loves scoring goals. That's alright. The NHL is in dire need of a new phenom and he might just be this exceptional kid that is so much better than everyone else. The good thing is that he loves the game, he loves playing.

What I'm tired of is not guys with Kovalchuk's attitude. It's guys who hold out at 25 and under for ridiculous amounts of cash (Gaborik, Comrie, Yashin, etc) or just because they don't want to play for a certain team anymore (Lindros). I don't care wether they are american, canadian or euros. Their action is going to decide if I have respect for them or not.

You're gonna find xenophobic and racist people in Canada, Russia, USA, etc. They are going to find the most stupid excuses to hate foreigners. But some of them will truly hate Kovalchuk because he celebrates not because he is russian. I personally think that's not a good reason to dislike him. But everyone is different.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral

Gimme a break.
Give ME a break. How do you reads my post and come up with “Jason Spezza is shaking in his boots”?

Old
10-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Why is it the people who criticize Ilya rarely apply the same type of criticism to other players who do the same things? That Messier thread being a perfect example of it.
Thats fair, but the pro Ilya contingent are painting everybody with the same brush.
Again, its not as if there can be no argument that the behaviour is "unprofessional" (thats not the right word but I cant peg it right now), but to even suggest such a thing , motives are called into question.
It would be like me saying anytime somebody says anything good about the guy that that person hates North Americans, is a commie wannabe(yes I know, the wall is down) hates the North American WJC teams, hates Spezza... etc.
Its simply BS

Old
10-27-2003, 02:10 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
i don't think i've ever seen so many threads started about one player in the span of a week.

my guess is that many are still better over what happened in the wjc a few years ago. No I, though.
Exactly, didnt he grab his nuts after scoring a goal against Canada, I think most people including Cherry were trying to tell him to show some class after he scores a goal and he will be thought of much more highly.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Fedz

Quote:

Im Canadian...and I LOVE him...I dont understand why people bash him for the nashville celebration....obviously hes damn happy getting the win...i would celebrate just as much, if not more!

Old
10-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Exactly, didnt he grab his nuts after scoring a goal against Canada, I think most people including Cherry were trying to tell him to show some class after he scores a goal and he will be thought of much more highly.
He pumped his first a few times while on a clear empty net breakaway where there was no one within about 2 zones of play of him. This has somehow morphed into something far bigger than it actually was. And once again, after scoring a goal 2 years back, Scott Upshall celebrated by throwing his stick over the glass and into the crowd. But this is replayed every year on TSN as a great moment for whatever reason I don't remember.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Why does he seem to get so much hate...
I'll get back to you on that one.

First trying to figure out why arguably the greatest player in the game today (the guy in Colorado) and one of the top 5 players of all-time (the player/owner in Pittsburgh) get insulted regularly here by some purported followers of the sport.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I'll get back to you on that one.

First trying to figure out why arguably the greatest player in the game today (the guy in Colorado) and one of the top 5 players of all-time (the player/owner in Pittsburgh) get insulted regularly here by some purported followers of the sport.
There is no doubt that he is one the top 5 in the game.
But you arnt allowed to take issue with the guys diving cause he's so good?

Old
10-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
There is no doubt that he is one the top 5 in the game.
But you arnt allowed to take issue with the guys diving cause he's so good?
Obviously one can take issue with it, but when Forsberg's diving, Lemieux's laziness, Bertuzzi's whining, Jagr's complaining, etc. are brought up EVERY time one of them is mentioned it gets tiresome. If someone wants to start a thread on diving and discuss Forsberg there, then by all means do it. But when every Avs gamethread or thread on how many points Forsberg has gets treated to a "LOL FLOPPA~!" comment, it gets old really fast.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:17 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 541
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.

Closed Thread