HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What is it about Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Personally, I love the kid. He is a talent, and I just love watching him play.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
i don't think i've ever seen so many threads started about one player in the span of a week.

my guess is that many are still better over what happened in the wjc a few years ago. No I, though.
Just imagine how many there will be if Svitov ever becomes something special :p

Old
10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.
Ugh did you happen to see Hasek throwing a fit the other night when Holik made slight contact with him?

Old
10-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25
Why does he seem to get so much hate especially from Canadian people?
Way to generalize, loser.

Where the hell did the rolleyes smiley go? Dammit!

Old
10-27-2003, 04:52 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Way to generalize, loser.

Where the hell did the rolleyes smiley go? Dammit!
this one works well too :moon:

Old
10-27-2003, 05:32 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I think most people including Cherry were trying to tell him to show some class after he scores a goal and he will be thought of much more highly.
I think Cherry should have at least mentioned that the EN goal gave Ilya a hat trick. The Coaches Corner breakdown made it seem as if Ilya just scored a EN goal and went nuts, which was not the case.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:08 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I think Cherry should have at least mentioned that the EN goal gave Ilya a hat trick. The Coaches Corner breakdown made it seem as if Ilya just scored a EN goal and went nuts, which was not the case.
I think when he went by the Preds bench it was a little overboard, there is no doubting the Kids talent but sometimes he needs a little Mustard for the Hot Dog if you know what I mean. And I am sure that rubbed some of the Preds players the wrong way.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:33 PM
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
A minor detail. Cherry's not about the minor details. It was a cheap shot, plain and simple.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Man empty net or not it was a hat-trick goal and I would have done the same thing....the goal against the Canadians in the WJC sealed the deal in that game....time to celebrate.

Bottom line is love him or hate him.....he is absolutely awesome and if I had to watch one player in the NHL it is him!!

And on a side note he beat comrie down, and if I had to chooose Kovy or spezza to start a organization, Kovy in a heart beat, no questions asked.

Don Cherry is just jealous that the most exciting player inthe NHL isn't Canadian

Unbiased Canadian

Old
10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Lexicon Devil

I think we're on to something here.

It's not just Kovalchuk. It's virtually every great player in the game that has their flaws blown incredibly out of proportion.

The fact is that he is a bit of a 'hot dog,' and like any flaw with any superstar, it gets blown way up. It's not fair to compare him to Messier or another lesser player, because the fact is that no one cares about the flaws of mediocre players. The great players are the ones who have the spotlight turned on them and are expected to be "ambassadors of the game" - rightly or wrongly.

Superstars are held to a different standard then everyone else.

Old
10-27-2003, 09:49 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
I think we're on to something here.

It's not just Kovalchuk. It's virtually every great player in the game that has their flaws blown incredibly out of proportion.

The fact is that he is a bit of a 'hot dog,' and like any flaw with any superstar, it gets blown way up. It's not fair to compare him to Messier or another lesser player, because the fact is that no one cares about the flaws of mediocre players. The great players are the ones who have the spotlight turned on them and are expected to be "ambassadors of the game" - rightly or wrongly.

Superstars are held to a different standard then everyone else.
Mess is over the hill definatly right now and I know what you are saying you meant their abilities today. But calling Mess a lesser player could create havoc the guy is an all time great. At this stage of Ilya's career it is an unfair comparison to compare him to Mess.

Also since he is going to have the spotlight on him a lot and he is an ambassador of the game shouldnt he act like he has scored before?

I will use a scrapper as an example when Tie Domi first came up with the Rangers he was blasted and rightfully so for his speedbag routine after scraps. A lot of people only saw the showboat crap. He only began to get respect from players when he toned down his act. I am not saying they didnt respect his toughness but this showboat stuff can earn you a lot of enemies as well as get you on sportscenter.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Exactly, didnt he grab his nuts after scoring a goal against Canada, I think most people including Cherry were trying to tell him to show some class after he scores a goal and he will be thought of much more highly.

oops.

Cause thats what my goal in life is.....to be thought of highly by people i dont care about.

I for one am all for a guy that chears when he scores a goal. This kid is pumped up right now, he's leading his team to something people didn't think would happen after heatley's accident.

He's just living it up.....besides, he' only 20. He can't have a beer after the game, cut him some slack

EDIT: Many people are calling this "kid" a superstar already. His maturity will come with age...like it does with all players. His game is maturing, and his attitude will follow....it always does.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:14 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
oops.

Cause thats what my goal in life is.....to be thought of highly by people i dont care about.

I for one am all for a guy that chears when he scores a goal. This kid is pumped up right now, he's leading his team to something people didn't think would happen after heatley's accident.

He's just living it up.....besides, he' only 20. He can't have a beer after the game, cut him some slack
I wasnt refering to the fans Dats, I would bet that he isnt making many friends among rival players with the excessive crap and that could lead to cheap shots.

If you have seen the Sportscentury about Gordie Howe he and Wayne both talk about one of the 1st games they played against each other and Wayne did something to embarass Gordie and he slashed him on the hand and messed up one of his fingers. He didnt hurt him bad bit he just wanted to let Wayne know not to do **** like that. Something like that could easily happen to this kid.?

Old
10-27-2003, 10:19 PM
dem

You guys can take off your Don Cherry hate glasses anytime now. He ragged on Tie Domi for hotdogging after fights too. OH NO HE HATES THE LEAFS AND CANADIANS.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Honestly I wouldn't care what Cherry said if he was at least consistent. But he picks his spots so predictably that it becomes laughably pathetic.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:22 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Honestly I wouldn't care what Cherry said if he was at least consistent. But he picks his spots so predictably that it becomes laughably pathetic.
Well... if his spots are so predictable... isnt that consistent? :p

Old
10-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Well... if his spots are so predictable... isnt that consistent? :p
Not bad.

Old
10-27-2003, 10:27 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
You guys can take off your Don Cherry hate glasses anytime now. He ragged on Tie Domi for hotdogging after fights too. OH NO HE HATES THE LEAFS AND CANADIANS.
i am not a Shill for Cherry, its a fact aht he ragged on Domi for the Stupid speedbag thing is it not?

Old
10-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
You've got to respect the man though, he's probably seen more hockey games than all of us combined(although that might be changing with Center Ice)

Old
10-28-2003, 04:35 AM
LaVal

Quote:
There are plenty of people who do. The number of anti-Hasek comments I've witnessed increased tenfold after that tournament. I remember an interesting comment from the tsn.ca webmaster after the 2002 Olympics (where Hasek was the standout in a 3-3 Canada-Czech Republic tie) about how he had gotten a ton of emails claiming that Hasek was "just lucky". His response was "if Hasek was 'just lucky', then he's been 'just lucky' for close to a decade".
i'm sure the arrogance, the diving and unsportsmanlike play he exibits, and things like his vicious stick beating of a fellow czech roller hockey player have NOTHING to do with it.

honestly, there are few players that are more hateable than Hasek

Old
10-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
i'm sure the arrogance, the diving and unsportsmanlike play he exibits, and things like his vicious stick beating of a fellow czech roller hockey player have NOTHING to do with it.

honestly, there are few players that are more hateable than Hasek
IT WAS A BEER LEAGUE GAME! BEER WAS ON THE LINE! EMOTIOSN RAN HIGH!

Old
10-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Atlanta Jim

Kovy

If you watch Kovalchuk every game you see that he DOES NOT celebrate every goal like its the CUP CLINCHER. He had a goal earlier that game that brought the Thrashers to within 1 and didn't do a darn thing. Earlier this year the Thrashers beat the Blackhawks 7-2 or something like that and during the 3rd period they went after Kovalchuk. He stood his ground and had Andy Sutton and Garnett Exelby at his back. That's just the way it will be for Kovy whether he celebrates too much or not. He's going to have the other teams goons going after him. So far he's handled it very well. It helps that he's 6'2 and 230.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Dr Love

My god I don't think I've seen a topic get so worn out in such a short period of time. Ilya Kovalchuk is a phenomal talent and, so far, is having a year that will take him from "tons of potential to reach" to "reaching his potential." And I'm repeating myself here from an earlier thread but I think it's worth repeating, he's the bonafide leader on a team that very easily and understandibly could have thrown in the towel on the whole season but instead looked adversary in the eye and adversary blinked first. He plays the game with an overt passion that not many show, and it rubs off on his team in a positive way. And most of all, he's still just a kid. Yes, he's not a rookie, but hockey is a GAME and we, as sports fans tend to forget that. Kovalchuk plays every game like it might be his last, and the death of a teammate without a doubt had a profound impact on his philosophy and game, which in turn has made a profound impact on the Thrashers and the NHL. He doesn't celebrate every goal like it's Mike Eruzione in the 1980 Olympics. He celebrates goals that have tied games after the Thrashers have been trailing, or put them in the lead. Damn that Kovalchuk kid for getting pumped for putting his team in a position to win or putting them in the lead! What the hell is he trying to do out there, win games? And against Nashville the empty netter got him his 2nd hat trick in 3 games. If that's not worth a fist pump anymore, I don't know what is. So what if it was an empty netter. He didn't taunt the Preds bench, he skated by it--which, *shockingly* is on the way to the Thrashers bench! What a punk he is! Kovalchuk scores some great goals to lead his team to the best record in the East--and so what if it's early in the season, even before the Heatley accident many (including myself) were predicting the Thrashers would be battling for a 7/8 seed--and celebrates them, and now because of that, he's got the image of a punk ass. Where is the rollyeyes when I need it. People need to calm the **** down.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Green Mile

Quote:
There is an unspoken rule that if you ever do anything to slight the sacred Canadian WJC team then a ton of people will never let you forget it. This is why we still hear about Kovalchuk celebrating that empty net goal years ago that eliminated Canada (despite the fact that the Canadian team are probably the most notorious over-celebrators around; but you don't hear people complaining about Scott Upshall throwing his stick in the crowd after scoring a goal), why you still hear junk about Svitov, about Ovechkin, and about plenty of others. The same applies to Dominik Hasek, who commited the cardinal sin of outplaying Canada during the 1998 olympics.
Best post ever. You've won the internet.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:47 AM
onearmedbandit14

I don't know why he gets so much hate. What' s wrong with being excited after scoring a goal. Scoring goals in the NHL isn't an easy feat. You might as well enjoy it. These old goats who criticize because he's an excitable kid are just pissed he doesn't play for them. If he did, then they'd be cheering right along with him.

Closed Thread