HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What is it about Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 05:25 AM
Wingboy2999

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mile
Best post ever. You've won the internet.
Pretty funny post yourself, lol. You've won the internet.....ha.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I think when he went by the Preds bench it was a little overboard, there is no doubting the Kids talent but sometimes he needs a little Mustard for the Hot Dog if you know what I mean. And I am sure that rubbed some of the Preds players the wrong way.
Really?

ESPN News - April 20, 2017

Last night one of hockey´s brightest stars put up his skates, and ended his illustrious career. It was an end of an era, since Ilya Kovalchuk, 34, has been one of the brightest stars of this millennium. Kovalchuk, however, will always be best remembered for his overly exaggerated celebration against the Nashville Predators in October of 2003, when he completed his hat-trick into an empty net.

Despite scoring 642 goals and 1105 points during his NHL-career, Ilya never achieved great respect from hockey-fans or the media. He lost all respect on that October night fourteen years ago, when he dropped down on one knee and celebrated his hat-trick. That celebration cost him a total of six Maurice Richard-trophies, which he was due, having scored most goals during the regular season. The National Hockey League refused to hand Kovalchuk the award, "As punishment for his cocky and unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2003."

Former Nashville Predators defenceman Marek Zidlicky remembers that night well: "It wasn´t that big of a deal, Marek remarks. "None of us sitting on the Predators´ bench thought much about it, to be honest. He just scored three goals against us, and felt happy, I guess."

Old
10-29-2003, 07:32 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onearmedbandit14
I don't know why he gets so much hate. What' s wrong with being excited after scoring a goal. Scoring goals in the NHL isn't an easy feat. You might as well enjoy it. These old goats who criticize because he's an excitable kid are just pissed he doesn't play for them. If he did, then they'd be cheering right along with him.
No, see, it's like this. To a person like me, who grew up watching Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Bourque, guys like that, he just seems like a nausiating punk kid. Those guys scored more goals than Kovalchuk could ever dream of scoring, well, the first two anyway, and they always did it with class. What ever happened to patting your teammates on the back and continuing the game. See, class is something Kovy lacks. Maybe it's lost on a lot of people who knows.

It has notihng to do with being Canadian. Most respectable Canadian hockey fans are perfectly accepting of international talent. We just like our international talent to have class. I can understand over celebrations in the WJC. They are just kids and every one of those games is huge. Why would you need to have a mad celebration on an empty net goal in a game that is essentially meaningless?

Old
10-29-2003, 07:33 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine

Last night one of hockey´s brightest stars put up his skates, and ended his illustrious career. It was an end of an era, since Ilya Kovalchuk, 34, has been one of the brightest stars of this millennium. Kovalchuk, however, will always be best remembered for his overly exaggerated celebration against the Nashville Predators in October of 2003, when he completed his hat-trick into an empty net.

Despite scoring 642 goals and 1105 points during his NHL-career, Ilya never achieved great respect from hockey-fans or the media. He lost all respect on that October night fourteen years ago, when he dropped down on one knee and celebrated his hat-trick. That celebration cost him a total of six Maurice Richard-trophies, which he was due, having scored most goals during the regular season. The National Hockey League refused to hand Kovalchuk the award, "As punishment for his cocky and unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2003."

Former Nashville Predators defenceman Marek Zidlicky remembers that night well: "It wasn´t that big of a deal, Marek remarks. "None of us sitting on the Predators´ bench thought much about it, to be honest. He just scored three goals against us, and felt happy, I guess."
That's not a real quote is it? I figured it was made up along with the rest of that story

Old
10-29-2003, 07:41 AM
Atlanta Jim

Kovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Why would you need to have a mad celebration on an empty net goal in a game that is essentially meaningless?
That's where you are wrong. It wasn't a meaningless game to the Thrashers. First off we've got the whole Heatly-Snyder thing going and that has emotions on high, then you've got last year's 0-10 start hanging over our heads. Most people tanked our season when Heatly wrecked his car so a hot start was something unexpected. On top of that it was a come-back win and a hat-trick. Plus their goalie pissed the Thrashers off when he hacked Kozlov. So he celebrates...get over it ....because he will be celebrating over 40 times this year. :moon:

Old
10-29-2003, 08:09 AM
Sundried TOmato

Quote:
No, see, it's like this. To a person like me, who grew up watching Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Bourque, guys like that, he just seems like a nausiating punk kid.
Here is what I don't get. Instead of being happy that we have a great young talent in the NHL (a league suffering from a severe identity crisis) we are spending our energy on trashing him. For a goal celebration, for being "ugly", for having bad skin, for not speaking English well enough, for just plain existing... I just find it terribly sad.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Sundried TOmato

Quote:
games is huge. Why would you need to have a mad celebration on an empty net goal in a game that is essentially meaningless?
You see an empty-net goal, I see:

1. A hat-trick.
2. A second hat-trick of the week.
3. A goal that cemented a come from behind win.
4. A win orchestrated by Kovalchuk.
5. A goal that prevented the Preds from tying up the game.

You see a meaningless game (why would it be meaningless???). I see:

A team struggling with a horrible tragedy and pulling together. A game critical for the Thrasher's psyche: it showed them that they can come back, and that Kovalchuk will carry them on his back if he has to.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Simagin

only because he is Russian .....

how ignorant.....

Old
10-29-2003, 10:28 AM
onearmedbandit14

Quote:
No, see, it's like this. To a person like me, who grew up watching Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Bourque, guys like that, he just seems like a nausiating punk kid. Those guys scored more goals than Kovalchuk could ever dream of scoring, well, the first two anyway, and they always did it with class. What ever happened to patting your teammates on the back and continuing the game. See, class is something Kovy lacks. Maybe it's lost on a lot of people who knows.

It has notihng to do with being Canadian. Most respectable Canadian hockey fans are perfectly accepting of international talent. We just like our international talent to have class. I can understand over celebrations in the WJC. They are just kids and every one of those games is huge. Why would you need to have a mad celebration on an empty net goal in a game that is essentially meaningless?
You have to realize that there are people who are different than the idols of when you are young. Is there anything wrong with a little spice in celebrations? Just because those guys celebrate quietly doesn't mean that all players should or will do the same. A kid scores a goal to get his second hat trick of the week. I think I might do a little celebrating, too. Let it go. Believe it or not, there are people who celebrate differently than the best of yesteryear. This kid is the future. If you are going to dislike him because of his goal celebrations, nobody needs to hear it because it is completely illogical and ridiculous. Enjoy this kid. He's going to be one of the best for a long time.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
That's a good point. It seems that a lot of Kovalchuk hating comes from Sens & Leafs fans. I think some Sens fans feel that their own young phenom is not getting enough love on these boards -- so they try to build him up by tearing Kovalchuk down. Judging by the number of threads about Kovy, the kid is the most exciting presence in the league. And a feared one. Not a bad feat for a 20 year old.

Not a fair comment. I'm a Leafs fan and I just love Kovalchuk. Look at the way he players...and look at the way the crowd responds. This kid is going to put up the best stats that this league has seen in about 10 years.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:

hahahaha Gretsky hardly had a supporting cast did he, neither did Mario. This kid is doing it HIMSELF. This kid when all is said and done will score between 500-700 goals barring injury. I was not a huge fan of his last year but watching him play on center ice is just amazing. 29 minutes a game for a 19 year old is simply amazing. and it seems like everytime he is on the ice something happens or he gets a chance

Old
10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
hahahaha Gretsky hardly had a supporting cast did he, neither did Mario. This kid is doing it HIMSELF. This kid when all is said and done will score between 500-700 goals barring injury. I was not a huge fan of his last year but watching him play on center ice is just amazing. 29 minutes a game for a 19 year old is simply amazing. and it seems like everytime he is on the ice something happens or he gets a chance
Marc Savard and Kozlov can each score 60 points a year, easily. Stefan can get 40.... That isn't half bad.

The kid is a great talent, sure, but look, his stats are decieving. <

He has 10 goals thus far, 6 of them are on the powerplay and one of those was an empty netter. His stats are inflated. Good for him though, keep scoring kid, bring some fans into the arena.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Marc Savard and Kozlov can each score 60 points a year, easily. Stefan can get 40.... That isn't half bad.

He has 10 goals thus far, 6 of them are on the powerplay and one of those was an empty netter. His stats are inflated. Good for him though, keep scoring kid, bring some fans into the arena.
Now that is truly grasping at straws. Care to check around the league and see how many other players have "inflated" stats?

Old
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine
Really?

Wow. Just wow.

Get a CLUE.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:

Kovalchuk does not play on the same line with Savard and Kozlov. He plays with filler and is always double-teamed. Not to mention, he doesn't have anyone who can set him up.

How are his stats distorted anyway? Last time I checked, PP goals counted. I could argue that Kovalchuk's stats are distorted in the other direction: he should have 5-6 more assists (at least) -- but his linemates fail to convert his great passes time after time after time.

I have a feeling from your post that you don't watch the games. If you did, you'd see that Kovalchuk does a lot more than scores goals: he sets up plays, he hits, he creates havoc, and he pumps up his teammates. Get NHL Central Ice. Seeing a player consistently really changes your perspective.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Kovalchuk does not play on the same line with Savard and Kozlov. He plays with filler and is always double-teamed. .
Double teamed?
Never seen that in the NHL.
Must be a first.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Its the fact that he acted like he scored a Stanley Cup winning goal, in game 5 or 6 of the year...ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE!
There is nothing wrong with celebrating for a hard earned goal. Actually, I wish I saw more of what Kovalchuk does when he scores goals. Back when at least 8 goals were scored by the 2 teams together I could see a reason not to celebrate that much. But in today's NHL, when goals are usually few and far between, I love to see it. I think it makes the goal more exciting to see when the player at least looks like he's excited that he scored the goal. I applaud you, Ilya.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Double teamed?
Never seen that in the NHK.
Must be a first.
Why? It simply means that a forward + a defenseman are given assignments to shadow a player. Guys like Peca for example always shadow the opposition's best player. But when a defenseman is told to pay special attention to a player (in addition to a center shadowing him), it's called a double-team. What does your coach call it?

Old
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Why? It simply means that a forward + a defenseman are given assignments to shadow a player. Guys like Peca for example always shadow the opposition's best player. But when a defenseman is told to pay special attention to a player (in addition to a center shadowing him), it's called a double-team. What does your coach call it?
Of course guys pay special attention to him.All sorts of great players get "special attention" And he may get shadowed (though that rarely if ever happens these days). But to say he is double teamed is laughable. Practically speaking, you cant do that in hockey.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:43 PM
st_roland

Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. Pre-season games are meaningless. Each regular season game contributes to the fabric that is the story of an NHL season. More and more it looks like one of the biggest stories this year is going to be the Thrashers response to tragedy. I never liked Kovalchuk before this year, he always seemed like one of those kids born with a ton of talent who did no work. He still seems a little arrogant to me, but he and nurminen are carrying that team on their back.

Go Thrash.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Sundried TOmato

Quote:
Of course guys pay special attention to him.All sorts of great players get "special attention" And he may get shadowed (though that rarely if ever happens these days). But to say he is double teamed is laughable. Practically speaking, you cant do that in hockey.
Look, what's this about? Bobby Orr was making a point about Kovalchuk's supporting cast. It's not like you are presenting a strong counter-argument by picking on his terminology. Orr's comment was right on: Kovalchuk stats are not helped by his supporting players.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Sammy is correct though: there is absolutely nothing in hockey resembling a double team like there is in basketball (where you leave someone open on the perimeter and have your two guards defend the whole 3-point line) or in football (where the cornerback and safety double -or even triple- up on a receiver, or two offensive players block the same defensive end).

Old
10-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundried TOmato
Look, what's this about? Bobby Orr was making a point about Kovalchuk's supporting cast. It's not like you are presenting a strong counter-argument by picking on his terminology. Orr's comment was right on: Kovalchuk stats are not helped by his supporting players.
Fine. But if you are going to make a statement that is absoloutly wrong, & you are called on it, at least acknowledge it.
Its not as if you have embellish the guys talents with BS to make your point.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:03 PM
psycho_dad

Celebrating a goal is a natural reaction, not rude. The only thing some canadians have against Kovy is the fact that he scored against them and dared to even celebrate. Why are you focusing on the celebrating that is everyones reaction? Why don't you just say it's rude to score against Canada, and that you will dislike everyone who drops team Canada out of a competition?

Ridiculous to even suggest people should not celebrate...Kovy has every reason to, and the more you see him celebrating, the more he has earned it. If being a cocky punk annoys canadians, why is Patrick Roy so popular? He must be one of the most selfish, annoying and cocky person to ever play the game...and his actions on the ice have earned him the right. Of course I also prefer a more humble, down to earth personality but when someone can back up their flaunting with performance like Roy or Kovy it's really their choise..what can one say? "You should act more subtle"?

Old
10-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Absolut

Quote:
Fine. But if you are going to make a statement that is absoloutly wrong, & you are called on it, at least acknowledge it.
Its not as if you have embellish the guys talents with BS to make your point.
I don't think Kovalchuk's talents need much embellishing.

There ain't double-team in hockey. Good call, Sammy.
There are posters who sound like they don't actually watch games. Good call, Bobby Orr.

By the way, Sammy: you are allowed to hate Kovalchuk. I just don't get why. If you are a truly passionate hockey fan, you should be giddy that a league has a young exciting kid who's lighting it up and generating fan interest.

Closed Thread