HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What is it about Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
I don't think Kovalchuk's talents need much embellishing.

There ain't double-team in hockey. Good call, Sammy.
There are posters who sound like they don't actually watch games. Good call, Bobby Orr.

By the way, Sammy: you are allowed to hate Kovalchuk. I just don't get why. If you are a truly passionate hockey fan, you should be giddy that a league has a young exciting kid who's lighting it up and generating fan interest.
No doubt about point #1, thats why I dont understand why someone would.
I dont hate him at all. You never have or ever will hear me minimize his talent, nor have I ever said one bad thing about him, other than I dont like some of his "schtick" at times.Just like I dont like some characteristics of Forsberg, Guerin, Bertuzzi...etc .
The guys an unbelievable talent. I enjoy watching him, even if I get p/o'd at him at times.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:53 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Now that is truly grasping at straws. Care to check around the league and see how many other players have "inflated" stats?
I didn't say anything about other players not having inflated stats. I'm just tired of people looking at Kovalchuk like he's the next Gretzky, or Lemieux, because he isn't even close.

Quote:
Celebrating a goal is a natural reaction, not rude. The only thing some canadians have against Kovy is the fact that he scored against them and dared to even celebrate. Why are you focusing on the celebrating that is everyones reaction? Why don't you just say it's rude to score against Canada, and that you will dislike everyone who drops team Canada out of a competition?
Celebrating is a natural reaction and I am perfectly happy when you celebrate, but when you take it too far, so far that you are purposely doing it in front of the other teams bench; that's arrogance...

Old
10-29-2003, 07:03 PM
SlavaKozlov

Heh, I liked my post in the other Kovalchuk topic, so I will shuffle on over to here and post it, since it is very relevent to the debate here...

(In response to another poster who said Kovalchuk plays on a poor team, would be praised if he were a leaf, deserves the right to celebrate and be cocky, etc...)
THANK YOU! I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. Ilja has a passion for the game. You can tell every shift he is there to play hockey, and he loves it. Just look at him when he scores. He makes it look easy, and he knows he does. So he is cocky, which he has every right to be (to quote Kid Rock "They say I'm cocky, And I say what, It ain't braggin' ************ if you back it up") I have no problem with his celebrating, he is excited when he scores, or when anyone else on his team does. So what? Get over it, he is 20 years old, is on a team that many wrote off as an Eastern conference basement dweller, and they are playing good hockey now, and Ilja is on fire. He has every right to celebrate, especially when he "was in Heatley's shadow" and the team would be nowhere near as good without Dany. I am happy for the Thrashers, and I hope they continue to do good (plus I am a Kozlov fan, lol ) Stop complaining about him, and enjoy the excitment he brings to hockey, which has been plagued with traps and "boring hockey" in recent years. I am definately a fan of Kovalchuk, he has me sold...

Old
10-29-2003, 08:31 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov
Heh, I liked my post in the other Kovalchuk topic, so I will shuffle on over to here and post it, since it is very relevent to the debate here...

(In response to another poster who said Kovalchuk plays on a poor team, would be praised if he were a leaf, deserves the right to celebrate and be cocky, etc...)
THANK YOU! I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. Ilja has a passion for the game. You can tell every shift he is there to play hockey, and he loves it. Just look at him when he scores. He makes it look easy, and he knows he does. So he is cocky, which he has every right to be (to quote Kid Rock "They say I'm cocky, And I say what, It ain't braggin' ************ if you back it up") I have no problem with his celebrating, he is excited when he scores, or when anyone else on his team does. So what? Get over it, he is 20 years old, is on a team that many wrote off as an Eastern conference basement dweller, and they are playing good hockey now, and Ilja is on fire. He has every right to celebrate, especially when he "was in Heatley's shadow" and the team would be nowhere near as good without Dany. I am happy for the Thrashers, and I hope they continue to do good (plus I am a Kozlov fan, lol ) Stop complaining about him, and enjoy the excitment he brings to hockey, which has been plagued with traps and "boring hockey" in recent years. I am definately a fan of Kovalchuk, he has me sold...
His talent for goal scoring is the exciting part, not the excessive celebrations, the kid is an awesome talent and I am not saying dont celebrate, but he knew what he was doing when he went by the bench and that is where he crossed the line.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Snyderman

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
His talent for goal scoring is the exciting part, not the excessive celebrations, the kid is an awesome talent and I am not saying dont celebrate, but he knew what he was doing when he went by the bench and that is where he crossed the line.
Savard celebrates nearly the same if not more than Kovalchuk. I'm sure you knew that since you watch the games.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:47 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.
Don't forget Osgood!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:56 PM
syc

Until Kovalchuk wins the scoring title he has to prove himself. Yes he's looking pretty freaking awesome, but it only 10 games into the season and Atlanta is on fire. Atlanta will not continue at this pace and Kovalchuk will most likely slow down when that happens.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:04 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman
Savard celebrates nearly the same if not more than Kovalchuk. I'm sure you knew that since you watch the games.
What's your point? If the thread had been created about Marc Savard and he scored 40 times a year, we would complain about him too.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Pardon my double post...

Quote:
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.
See, I realize we are talking about goalies but on the topic of hating players for diving and such, why is Forsberg so loved and Hasek or Turco so hated? Doesn't make sense.

Forsberg should be complained about just as much, if not more than Ilya.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Snyderman

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
What's your point? If the thread had been created about Marc Savard and he scored 40 times a year, we would complain about him too.
I referred to Savard because all the Thrashers players have been getting excited about scoring goals. It is not much different for Kovy, he is just one of many Thrashers who are getting excited about the first season of hope for this team. It is not like his celebrations are premeditated. They are his honest emotion at that point in time. Sports like soccer and football have a choreographed celebration which I can understand. It gets tiresome. But I have trouble understanding people who say it is not ok to smile, I expect someone to smile when they are successful.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman
I referred to Savard because all the Thrashers players have been getting excited about scoring goals. It is not much different for Kovy, he is just one of many Thrashers who are getting excited about the first season of hope for this team. It is not like his celebrations are premeditated. They are his honest emotion at that point in time. Sports like soccer and football have a choreographed celebration which I can understand. It gets tiresome. But I have trouble understanding people who say it is not ok to smile, I expect someone to smile when they are successful.
No kidding, the way some people carry on, you would think that after every goal Kovalchuk is dropping his stick and doing the Icky Shuffle. Maybe the Thrashers can swipe the Dirty Bird from their crosstown counterparts and start doing an orchestrated team dance. :p

Old
10-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I think the only question right now is:

"Kovalchuk or LeBron James?"

:p

Old
10-29-2003, 10:18 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I think the only question right now is:

"Kovalchuk or LeBron James?"

:p

What a game by Lebron.... Wow, not even close. Lebron by infinity

Old
10-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
The fact that you think Kovalchuk exuberantly celebrates every goal he scores is completely wrong and shows how flat-out misinformed you are about Kovalchuk as a player.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:34 PM
c-carp

I have a question sort of related to this thread.

How much celebration is allowed before it is considered showboating and showing up the other team. Take all the BS that goes onnin the NFL for example it didnt happen overnight. what if in 5 years or so Sydney Crosby is the hot young rookie lighting it up and he pulls a Terell Owens after a hat trick and signs the puck with a sharpie he had in his socks after scoring a goal and gives it to the goalie. (Owens did this after scoring a TD for the 49ers he autographed the ball and gave it to the defensive back he burned for the TD.) Are we going to say he is just showing personality and it is no big deal or it was a hat trick goal. are we going to let it get that bad or are we going to try and set an example for what is excessive celebration and showing up the other team and what isnt.

I know it is a tough line to draw, but its an interesting question because, like I said the NFL thing didnt happen overnight and now its grown to the point where people like Owens are just embarrasing.

Note: No disrespect to Crosby, Iwas just using his name because there is already tons of hype about him. Also I know my example is extreme but it could happen in the age of Sportscenter. Crap like that is a guaranteed highlight.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I don't think it'll happen with regards to Crosby because he is already being insanely hyped and whenever incidents like that occur they are always downplayed and made to seem insignificant. Kovalchuk never really had that sort of aura around him when he entered the league.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:43 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I don't think it'll happen with regards to Crosby because he is already being insanely hyped and whenever incidents like that occur they are always downplayed and made to seem insignificant. Kovalchuk never really had that sort of aura around him when he entered the league.
It doeant have to be Crosby, it could be player X from whatever team. My question was posed because I dont want the NHL celebrations to get like the ones in the NFL. I just used Crosby's name because by all accounts he is going to be a superstar.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
It doeant have to be Crosby, it could be player X from whatever team. My question was posed because I dont want the NHL celebrations to get like the ones in the NFL. I just used Crosby's name because by all accounts he is going to be a superstar.
Well, in a general context, that's a good question...I suppose he'll be ripped apart by the fans/media/Don Cherry.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:38 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Well, in a general context, that's a good question...I suppose he'll be ripped apart by the fans/media/Don Cherry.
Rightfully so. Yes no thoughts.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:08 AM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
That's a good point. It seems that a lot of Kovalchuk hating comes from Sens & Leafs fans. I think some Sens fans feel that their own young phenom is not getting enough love on these boards -- so they try to build him up by tearing Kovalchuk down. Judging by the number of threads about Kovy, the kid is the most exciting presence in the league. And a feared one. Not a bad feat for a 20 year old.
First, 'it's all Canadians hate Kovalchuk but the Americans don't'. Then it's 'all Sens and Leafs fans criticize Kovalchuk'. 'The Sens fans hate Kovalchuk because Spezza isn't as good.' Then 'Canadians don't like anybody because they beat them in the WJC'. The 'I love it when Canadians and the media go wild whenever Kovalchuk does something'. WTF is that!! I'm both a Canadian and a Sens fan and that's not what I'm feeling. Don't be so ignorant and stop generalizing!

Old
10-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
First, 'it's all Canadians hate Kovalchuk but the Americans don't'. Then it's 'all Sens and Leafs fans criticize Kovalchuk'. 'The Sens fans hate Kovalchuk because Spezza isn't as good.' Then 'Canadians don't like anybody because they beat them in the WJC'. The 'I love it when Canadians and the media go wild whenever Kovalchuk does something'. WTF is that!! I'm both a Canadian and a Sens fan and that's not what I'm feeling. Don't be so ignorant and stop generalizing!
Thankyou. God I get tired of it where you cant say anything negative about Ilya w/o your motives been questioned.
BTW, the post you quote is from a guy who feels the need to embellish Ilya's talents by saying he is "double teamed".
Its all quite ridiculous.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:42 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
The fact that you think Kovalchuk exuberantly celebrates every goal he scores is completely wrong and shows how flat-out misinformed you are about Kovalchuk as a player.
I never siad that he celebrated exuberantly on every goal, but he does do it a fair bit, and he does score a lot.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:43 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Thankyou. God I get tired of it where you cant say anything negative about Ilya w/o your motives been questioned.
BTW, the post you quote is from a guy who feels the need to embellish Ilya's talents by saying he is "double teamed".
Its all quite ridiculous.

Closed Thread