HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What is it about Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
  #76
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut
I don't think Kovalchuk's talents need much embellishing.

There ain't double-team in hockey. Good call, Sammy.
There are posters who sound like they don't actually watch games. Good call, Bobby Orr.

By the way, Sammy: you are allowed to hate Kovalchuk. I just don't get why. If you are a truly passionate hockey fan, you should be giddy that a league has a young exciting kid who's lighting it up and generating fan interest.
No doubt about point #1, thats why I dont understand why someone would.
I dont hate him at all. You never have or ever will hear me minimize his talent, nor have I ever said one bad thing about him, other than I dont like some of his "schtick" at times.Just like I dont like some characteristics of Forsberg, Guerin, Bertuzzi...etc .
The guys an unbelievable talent. I enjoy watching him, even if I get p/o'd at him at times.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 06:53 PM
  #77
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Now that is truly grasping at straws. Care to check around the league and see how many other players have "inflated" stats?
I didn't say anything about other players not having inflated stats. I'm just tired of people looking at Kovalchuk like he's the next Gretzky, or Lemieux, because he isn't even close.

Quote:
Celebrating a goal is a natural reaction, not rude. The only thing some canadians have against Kovy is the fact that he scored against them and dared to even celebrate. Why are you focusing on the celebrating that is everyones reaction? Why don't you just say it's rude to score against Canada, and that you will dislike everyone who drops team Canada out of a competition?
Celebrating is a natural reaction and I am perfectly happy when you celebrate, but when you take it too far, so far that you are purposely doing it in front of the other teams bench; that's arrogance...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 07:03 PM
  #78
SlavaKozlov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Akron, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Heh, I liked my post in the other Kovalchuk topic, so I will shuffle on over to here and post it, since it is very relevent to the debate here...

(In response to another poster who said Kovalchuk plays on a poor team, would be praised if he were a leaf, deserves the right to celebrate and be cocky, etc...)
THANK YOU! I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. Ilja has a passion for the game. You can tell every shift he is there to play hockey, and he loves it. Just look at him when he scores. He makes it look easy, and he knows he does. So he is cocky, which he has every right to be (to quote Kid Rock "They say I'm cocky, And I say what, It ain't braggin' ************ if you back it up") I have no problem with his celebrating, he is excited when he scores, or when anyone else on his team does. So what? Get over it, he is 20 years old, is on a team that many wrote off as an Eastern conference basement dweller, and they are playing good hockey now, and Ilja is on fire. He has every right to celebrate, especially when he "was in Heatley's shadow" and the team would be nowhere near as good without Dany. I am happy for the Thrashers, and I hope they continue to do good (plus I am a Kozlov fan, lol ) Stop complaining about him, and enjoy the excitment he brings to hockey, which has been plagued with traps and "boring hockey" in recent years. I am definately a fan of Kovalchuk, he has me sold...

SlavaKozlov is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 08:31 PM
  #79
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov
Heh, I liked my post in the other Kovalchuk topic, so I will shuffle on over to here and post it, since it is very relevent to the debate here...

(In response to another poster who said Kovalchuk plays on a poor team, would be praised if he were a leaf, deserves the right to celebrate and be cocky, etc...)
THANK YOU! I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. Ilja has a passion for the game. You can tell every shift he is there to play hockey, and he loves it. Just look at him when he scores. He makes it look easy, and he knows he does. So he is cocky, which he has every right to be (to quote Kid Rock "They say I'm cocky, And I say what, It ain't braggin' ************ if you back it up") I have no problem with his celebrating, he is excited when he scores, or when anyone else on his team does. So what? Get over it, he is 20 years old, is on a team that many wrote off as an Eastern conference basement dweller, and they are playing good hockey now, and Ilja is on fire. He has every right to celebrate, especially when he "was in Heatley's shadow" and the team would be nowhere near as good without Dany. I am happy for the Thrashers, and I hope they continue to do good (plus I am a Kozlov fan, lol ) Stop complaining about him, and enjoy the excitment he brings to hockey, which has been plagued with traps and "boring hockey" in recent years. I am definately a fan of Kovalchuk, he has me sold...
His talent for goal scoring is the exciting part, not the excessive celebrations, the kid is an awesome talent and I am not saying dont celebrate, but he knew what he was doing when he went by the bench and that is where he crossed the line.

c-carp is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 08:39 PM
  #80
Snyderman
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
His talent for goal scoring is the exciting part, not the excessive celebrations, the kid is an awesome talent and I am not saying dont celebrate, but he knew what he was doing when he went by the bench and that is where he crossed the line.
Savard celebrates nearly the same if not more than Kovalchuk. I'm sure you knew that since you watch the games.

 
Old
10-29-2003, 08:47 PM
  #81
syc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not Europe
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.
Don't forget Osgood!

syc is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 08:56 PM
  #82
syc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not Europe
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Until Kovalchuk wins the scoring title he has to prove himself. Yes he's looking pretty freaking awesome, but it only 10 games into the season and Atlanta is on fire. Atlanta will not continue at this pace and Kovalchuk will most likely slow down when that happens.

syc is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 09:04 PM
  #83
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman
Savard celebrates nearly the same if not more than Kovalchuk. I'm sure you knew that since you watch the games.
What's your point? If the thread had been created about Marc Savard and he scored 40 times a year, we would complain about him too.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
  #84
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Pardon my double post...

Quote:
The Hasek hate stems from repeated actions on the ice. (Taking dives, pushing the net off, etc) I dislike Marty Turco for the exact same reason.
See, I realize we are talking about goalies but on the topic of hating players for diving and such, why is Forsberg so loved and Hasek or Turco so hated? Doesn't make sense.

Forsberg should be complained about just as much, if not more than Ilya.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 09:53 PM
  #85
Snyderman
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
What's your point? If the thread had been created about Marc Savard and he scored 40 times a year, we would complain about him too.
I referred to Savard because all the Thrashers players have been getting excited about scoring goals. It is not much different for Kovy, he is just one of many Thrashers who are getting excited about the first season of hope for this team. It is not like his celebrations are premeditated. They are his honest emotion at that point in time. Sports like soccer and football have a choreographed celebration which I can understand. It gets tiresome. But I have trouble understanding people who say it is not ok to smile, I expect someone to smile when they are successful.

 
Old
10-29-2003, 09:57 PM
  #86
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderman
I referred to Savard because all the Thrashers players have been getting excited about scoring goals. It is not much different for Kovy, he is just one of many Thrashers who are getting excited about the first season of hope for this team. It is not like his celebrations are premeditated. They are his honest emotion at that point in time. Sports like soccer and football have a choreographed celebration which I can understand. It gets tiresome. But I have trouble understanding people who say it is not ok to smile, I expect someone to smile when they are successful.
No kidding, the way some people carry on, you would think that after every goal Kovalchuk is dropping his stick and doing the Icky Shuffle. Maybe the Thrashers can swipe the Dirty Bird from their crosstown counterparts and start doing an orchestrated team dance. :p

Epsilon is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:00 PM
  #87
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,606
vCash: 500
I think the only question right now is:

"Kovalchuk or LeBron James?"

:p

Epsilon is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:18 PM
  #88
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I think the only question right now is:

"Kovalchuk or LeBron James?"

:p

What a game by Lebron.... Wow, not even close. Lebron by infinity

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:31 PM
  #89
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
What's your point? If the thread had been created about Marc Savard and he scored 40 times a year, we would complain about him too.
The fact that you think Kovalchuk exuberantly celebrates every goal he scores is completely wrong and shows how flat-out misinformed you are about Kovalchuk as a player.

Burke's Evil Spirit is online now  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:34 PM
  #90
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,717
vCash: 500
I have a question sort of related to this thread.

How much celebration is allowed before it is considered showboating and showing up the other team. Take all the BS that goes onnin the NFL for example it didnt happen overnight. what if in 5 years or so Sydney Crosby is the hot young rookie lighting it up and he pulls a Terell Owens after a hat trick and signs the puck with a sharpie he had in his socks after scoring a goal and gives it to the goalie. (Owens did this after scoring a TD for the 49ers he autographed the ball and gave it to the defensive back he burned for the TD.) Are we going to say he is just showing personality and it is no big deal or it was a hat trick goal. are we going to let it get that bad or are we going to try and set an example for what is excessive celebration and showing up the other team and what isnt.

I know it is a tough line to draw, but its an interesting question because, like I said the NFL thing didnt happen overnight and now its grown to the point where people like Owens are just embarrasing.

Note: No disrespect to Crosby, Iwas just using his name because there is already tons of hype about him. Also I know my example is extreme but it could happen in the age of Sportscenter. Crap like that is a guaranteed highlight.

c-carp is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:39 PM
  #91
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
I don't think it'll happen with regards to Crosby because he is already being insanely hyped and whenever incidents like that occur they are always downplayed and made to seem insignificant. Kovalchuk never really had that sort of aura around him when he entered the league.

Burke's Evil Spirit is online now  
Old
10-29-2003, 10:43 PM
  #92
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I don't think it'll happen with regards to Crosby because he is already being insanely hyped and whenever incidents like that occur they are always downplayed and made to seem insignificant. Kovalchuk never really had that sort of aura around him when he entered the league.
It doeant have to be Crosby, it could be player X from whatever team. My question was posed because I dont want the NHL celebrations to get like the ones in the NFL. I just used Crosby's name because by all accounts he is going to be a superstar.

c-carp is offline  
Old
10-29-2003, 11:19 PM
  #93
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
It doeant have to be Crosby, it could be player X from whatever team. My question was posed because I dont want the NHL celebrations to get like the ones in the NFL. I just used Crosby's name because by all accounts he is going to be a superstar.
Well, in a general context, that's a good question...I suppose he'll be ripped apart by the fans/media/Don Cherry.

Burke's Evil Spirit is online now  
Old
10-29-2003, 11:38 PM
  #94
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Well, in a general context, that's a good question...I suppose he'll be ripped apart by the fans/media/Don Cherry.
Rightfully so. Yes no thoughts.

c-carp is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 05:08 AM
  #95
Capt Tuttle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
That's a good point. It seems that a lot of Kovalchuk hating comes from Sens & Leafs fans. I think some Sens fans feel that their own young phenom is not getting enough love on these boards -- so they try to build him up by tearing Kovalchuk down. Judging by the number of threads about Kovy, the kid is the most exciting presence in the league. And a feared one. Not a bad feat for a 20 year old.
First, 'it's all Canadians hate Kovalchuk but the Americans don't'. Then it's 'all Sens and Leafs fans criticize Kovalchuk'. 'The Sens fans hate Kovalchuk because Spezza isn't as good.' Then 'Canadians don't like anybody because they beat them in the WJC'. The 'I love it when Canadians and the media go wild whenever Kovalchuk does something'. WTF is that!! I'm both a Canadian and a Sens fan and that's not what I'm feeling. Don't be so ignorant and stop generalizing!

Capt Tuttle is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 07:12 AM
  #96
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
First, 'it's all Canadians hate Kovalchuk but the Americans don't'. Then it's 'all Sens and Leafs fans criticize Kovalchuk'. 'The Sens fans hate Kovalchuk because Spezza isn't as good.' Then 'Canadians don't like anybody because they beat them in the WJC'. The 'I love it when Canadians and the media go wild whenever Kovalchuk does something'. WTF is that!! I'm both a Canadian and a Sens fan and that's not what I'm feeling. Don't be so ignorant and stop generalizing!
Thankyou. God I get tired of it where you cant say anything negative about Ilya w/o your motives been questioned.
BTW, the post you quote is from a guy who feels the need to embellish Ilya's talents by saying he is "double teamed".
Its all quite ridiculous.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 07:42 AM
  #97
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
The fact that you think Kovalchuk exuberantly celebrates every goal he scores is completely wrong and shows how flat-out misinformed you are about Kovalchuk as a player.
I never siad that he celebrated exuberantly on every goal, but he does do it a fair bit, and he does score a lot.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 07:43 AM
  #98
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Thankyou. God I get tired of it where you cant say anything negative about Ilya w/o your motives been questioned.
BTW, the post you quote is from a guy who feels the need to embellish Ilya's talents by saying he is "double teamed".
Its all quite ridiculous.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.