HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jagr - How much salary to eat?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 10:59 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Jagr - How much salary to eat?

It's being covered in a few threads on this board that the Caps are looking to dump some of their bigger name players because they're bleeding red ink. The one salary that they'd love to dump is Jagr's, but it seems like there isn't any takers.

So, how much money do you think the Caps need to eat in order to get rid of Jagr. He's got $55 mil over the next 5 years coming to him.

Even despite the mental issues he seems to have, he's still a valuable player. He would improve every team in the league if he played for them, but he's not worth the salary he's got. He's not going to restructure his contract it seems, so that's not going to change.

So, at what price does he become a worthwhile player again. If Washington picked up $20 million of his salary over the life of his contract, so that he was making $7 mil a season, would he be a useful player at that point? Would any team pick him up? If not, how much more would have to be eaten?

Old
10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu

So, at what price does he become a worthwhile player again. If Washington picked up $20 million of his salary over the life of his contract, so that he was making $7 mil a season, would he be a useful player at that point? Would any team pick him up? If not, how much more would have to be eaten?
If you assume that the trade makes Jaromir happy again, i.e. is to a contender and/or another big market club, a happy productive Jaromir is clearly worth $7. When he wants to be he's as dominant as anyone. That's a pretty short list of possible destinations though. I doubt he gets moved before the CBA gets settled. Wow what a bad contract that is. It makes the Hicks/Guerin thing look reasonable. OK, no it doesn't -- at least Jagr was a superstar.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Not all that much imo. At tops 10M over the lifetime of the contract and then something nice has to be coming Washingtons way. It seems reasonable to eat 2M/year for a nice cheaper player. Then Jagr would move from the realm of being paid insane amounts of money to just being paid quite a bit too much. Anyway, I don't think there is any chance of Washington eating so much salary that Jagr be cost effective. He would still have to be overpaid by the team who takes him on. And what would make the other team pull the trigger despite him being overpaid is of course that if the planets are aligned right, he can bring a monster offense.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:46 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
It's being covered in a few threads on this board that the Caps are looking to dump some of their bigger name players because they're bleeding red ink. The one salary that they'd love to dump is Jagr's, but it seems like there isn't any takers.

So, how much money do you think the Caps need to eat in order to get rid of Jagr. He's got $55 mil over the next 5 years coming to him.

Even despite the mental issues he seems to have, he's still a valuable player. He would improve every team in the league if he played for them, but he's not worth the salary he's got. He's not going to restructure his contract it seems, so that's not going to change.

It becomes a sticky issue with the upcoming CBA, everything depends on how the rules are written.

For example if there is a salary cap and you trade for Jagr. Even though the Capr would be paying $4 million a year of his salary, he would still count $11 million per year against your salary cap figure. Unless the rules are written differently.

That could be as much as 20-25% of a salary cap number.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:48 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

even if he goes to a contendor, i still think the caps will have to eat a good portio. anyways, i dont see any of the contendors even needing him. i'd say at LEAST 3M a year of his contract, probably more though. and if he were to be dealt before the cba expires, i'd say 100% until the league starts up again.

Old
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
txpd

I think it partly depends on who the capitals are getting or taking in return. The most recent rumor is that the rangers are talking about trading Kovalev for Jagr. I could see the Caps getting by without picking up salary for this year and then picking up $4m a year for the rest of the deal. If the deal were for a Guerin or even a Turgeon they would have to pick up less.
I am still watching the Rangers/Kovalev situation. He has 3 assists in 6 games. thats 16pts in 30 games as a Ranger. The Rangers are not paying him for that kind of production. with Bure done, there is a real hole for gun on that team. look at where the rangers would be without those two unassisted goals by Lindros. Jagr wants to play for the Rangers and the worse things get in DC the more he may be willing to make accomidations with his contract to see that happen.

Old
10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I think it partly depends on who the capitals are getting or taking in return. The most recent rumor is that the rangers are talking about trading Kovalev for Jagr. I could see the Caps getting by without picking up salary for this year and then picking up $4m a year for the rest of the deal. If the deal were for a Guerin or even a Turgeon they would have to pick up less.
I am still watching the Rangers/Kovalev situation. He has 3 assists in 6 games. thats 16pts in 30 games as a Ranger. The Rangers are not paying him for that kind of production. with Bure done, there is a real hole for gun on that team. look at where the rangers would be without those two unassisted goals by Lindros. Jagr wants to play for the Rangers and the worse things get in DC the more he may be willing to make accomidations with his contract to see that happen.

The Penguins would love re-acquire any of those if salary gets eaten.
Or after the CBA...

Old
10-27-2003, 01:18 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
[How about 8 million, plus Cujo? lol

Old
10-27-2003, 01:25 PM
regehr

caps were willing to pick up 20% of Lang's contract in a trade, provided they got something more than a pick in return. i think it is reasonable to assume that they would be willing to do the same for jagr (except they probably wouldn't be as picky over the return) - that means about $2.5mil/yr x 5 yrs = $12.5mil. that still makes jagr a $8.5mil/yr player.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Hemmer

If Detroit can dump Cujo, I see them as the most likely destination for Jagr. They will want to reload after Stevie Y retires, and they are one of the few teams that can afford to.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:23 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
If Detroit can dump Cujo, I see them as the most likely destination for Jagr. They will want to reload after Stevie Y retires, and they are one of the few teams that can afford to.
Right now, I would gladly trade Jagr of Cujo straight up. Hell, I would throw in Dandenault for good measure

Old
10-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

About 50%, I'd say...except that the problem with Jagr's contract is that the last year of it stipulates that he becomes part-owner of the team he is playing for.

Old
10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
About 50%, I'd say...except that the problem with Jagr's contract is that the last year of it stipulates that he becomes part-owner of the team he is playing for.
You are joking? Right?

Old
10-27-2003, 03:57 PM
incawg

There's a limit to how much cash one team can send another in a trade under the current CBA (I think it's $3million). Does anyone know if eating a players salary is outside of this amount? ie. you can only send 3 mil cash but you can pay as much of a players salary as you like

Old
10-27-2003, 04:01 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
The only was I can ever see Jagr moved is if there is some sort of conditional agreement on how much of his salary is covered based on his performance.

Old
10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
There's a limit to how much cash one team can send another in a trade under the current CBA (I think it's $3million). Does anyone know if eating a players salary is outside of this amount? ie. you can only send 3 mil cash but you can pay as much of a players salary as you like
Yes, it is, because the Rangers paid all the salaries *and* sent Pittsburgh a bunch of cash in the Kovalev deal.

Quote:
You are joking? Right?
Not at all. Even at 50%, Jagr would command $30 million or so under a new CBA over 5 years, and even that's a stretch considering his play of late. Maybe you could structure something where the better he performs, the less Washington pays (a la the Valeri Bure deal) but the upper limit would have to be about 50%, I would think.

Closed Thread