HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else sick of Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 09:05 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
I really don't see how that goal celebration has gotten so overblown, I mean did he intentionally skate to the Preds bench and taunt them? No way, he just happened to end up there after giving it the old pump a few times (and if that makes you cocky then Theo Fleury was the cockiest player of all time...he'd freak out ANY time he scored, hmmmm lotsa people liked his desire) Its not as if he had just scored the teams first goal and the Preds were stomping them 6-1 or even vice-versa, he was pumped he'd scored a hat trick and helped his team win a close game. And if you have to call him cocky and say the rest of the league hates him at least he can back himself up with talent, I mean lotsa people hate Tucker for being cocky and cheap and all but we've never seen him score 10 goals in 7 games.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:33 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
What was it Slats said about hockey players? He likes the cocky ones, something like that.

While on the one hand I think this goal scoring celebration thing is a bit much (BG is my lone exception, and come on, it's not like he scores that much anyway ), and Kovalchuk's a hot dog, on the other he's an extremely young, extremely talented individual and he's got what, 10 goals on the year? Calder finalist last year? No sophomore slump for him. He's got the credentials, he can celebrate if he likes - he just shouldn't whine (and as far as I know, he doesn't) if he gets a little extra facewash in the corner next time he's there against the Preds.

Knowing Kovalchuk, he'd just score another goal after that anyway. The hot-dogging also gets the other team off its game, I'm sure - it's like trash-talking everybody can see.

At first I was kind of disgusted, but then again, I only saw what Cherry wanted "me" to see. I'm pretty sure I'd be freaking happy just closing a pair of hat tricks in as many games, let alone the second one bringing my team back from the brink.

I hate how Kovalchuk shows off, but I'd still love to see him as an Oiler - I can't think of a single player I wouldn't trade to get him. Or even a pair of players.

(Edit: oh, and something kruzer said - yeah, it's not like he pulled a Donald Brashear hand dust-off in front of the bench, or a Tie Domi skate around the ice with the championship belt thing. And for whatever it's worth, Cherry hated that too.)

Old
10-28-2003, 03:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
By the way he also beat the crap out of Comrie last year!! Remember!!
He beat the crap out of Comrie?

I'm sorry, I must have missed that fight. Because it couldn't have been the one when he pulled Comrie's hair could it?

Generally, when you beat the crap out of someone, you thoroughly dominate the fight... i.e. Laraque agaisnt that kid from Buffalo.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:55 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I really don't see how that goal celebration has gotten so overblown, I mean did he intentionally skate to the Preds bench and taunt them? No way, he just happened to end up there after giving it the old pump a few times (and if that makes you cocky then Theo Fleury was the cockiest player of all time...he'd freak out ANY time he scored, hmmmm lotsa people liked his desire) Its not as if he had just scored the teams first goal and the Preds were stomping them 6-1 or even vice-versa, he was pumped he'd scored a hat trick and helped his team win a close game. And if you have to call him cocky and say the rest of the league hates him at least he can back himself up with talent, I mean lotsa people hate Tucker for being cocky and cheap and all but we've never seen him score 10 goals in 7 games.
He just happened to end up in front of the preds bench? Keep telling yourself that.

Just like he just happened to skate by team Canada's bench pointing his finger a couple of years ago.

This seems to happen accidently to him a lot.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Slats432

Bernie Nichols
Mike Foligno
Theo Fleury
Jaromir Jagr
Tiger Williams

Besides Jagr I don't remember anyone getting greif over their goal celebrations.

Although it is cocky, and I prefer the Yzerman's and Sakics of the world...Kovalchuk has passion which is something that we wished for all of our players.

I for a long time didn't like Kovalchuk for these reasons. But the more I think about it, a personality like him is what the league needs.

(And if Isbister played with Kovalchuk type passion he WOULD be Bertuzzi. :p )

Old
10-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Atlanta Jim

Kovy

I came on to your board looking for Comrie to Atlanta postings and couldnt' help jump in to the Kovalchuk discussion. I've repeated this before on the HFBoards but he doesn't celebrate every goal that way. He scored the first goal when we were down 2-0 that same game and did nothing. Also, their goalie (VOKUN?) took a big hack at Kozlov earlier in the game, which Kovalchuk didn't care for too much. Also, the Canada story has gotten out of hand.....he pumped his fist a few times.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Slats432

Fact is, the Oilers (Cocky or not cocky) would LOVE to have the guy on their team.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:56 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
lotsa people hate Tucker for being cocky and cheap and all but we've never seen him score 10 goals in 7 games.
If Tucker would have won the last 4 Richard trophies, would it make his behaviour OK? Or would it just make him a putrid spectacle with talent?

Generally I think Kovalchuk's behaviour warrants some concern. I have no answers but I can humbly offer suggestions.

Defend competitiveness and intensity. Defend skill. Defend emotion and excitement. Champion offensive talent over checking thugery. Kovalchuk has all of these in spades. But stop making excuses for looking the other way on disrespectful behaviour and petty showboating. If it looked ugly on Gretzky before, it deserves equal derision on anyone else. Maybe Kovalchuk's recent pumping action is deserved reward for a great performance, and the issue is overblown, but lets not pretend he has no track record.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:14 AM
The New Dynasty

I agree with Serums sentiments exactly.

But would also like to add that when I scored goals as a stay at home defencemen I would go crazy really celebrate cause if you've played you know there is nothing like scoring a goal.

Also I don't see people here crituiqing(sp?) Laraque for his goal celebrations hell the guy goes insane usually pumping his arms(oh no) more the 6 times, what an a**hole eh. Hell he nearly puts himself through the boards.

Just because it is a relativly common occurance for Kovo to score don't mean he can't be as excitted as he wants.

Leave the kid alone he is just having fun and enjoying himself.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:32 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Dynasty
I agree with Serums sentiments exactly.

But would also like to add that when I scored goals as a stay at home defencemen I would go crazy really celebrate cause if you've played you know there is nothing like scoring a goal.

Also I don't see people here crituiqing(sp?) Laraque for his goal celebrations hell the guy goes insane usually pumping his arms(oh no) more the 6 times, what an a**hole eh. Hell he nearly puts himself through the boards.

Just because it is a relativly common occurance for Kovo to score don't mean he can't be as excitted as he wants.

I'm trying to remember the last time laraque scored like that into an empty net...

Old
10-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Digger12

Quote:

It's one thing get all excited, nothing wrong with that at all. It's a whole other thing to go out of your way to do it right in front of the other team's bench to rub it in their face.

He's a tremendous talent, for his sake I hope he eventually grows out of it...players have long memories.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:11 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Read a bit more closely, I mentioned BG specifically.

Besides, it's one thing to jump into the boards - necessarily near the end of the rink, as that's where the goals ARE - and quite another to skate by the opposing team's bench, either accidentally or on purpose.

I've already said everything else I've got to say on the subject in said other post.

Closed Thread