HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque breaks hand?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Laraque breaks hand?

It was reported on CFRN this evening that Laraque broke his hand in the fight with Oliwa.

He had x-rays today but the results aren't known yet.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:00 PM
serum114

It would solve the constant "who sits?" conundrum if true. And it would give Rita a chance.

I hope it's not though, Georges has been playing alright this year and crap like this always seems to slow him down.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:14 PM
momentai

I guess this means Isbister draws back into the lineup. Not too sure if I'm pleased with that. I'm guessing Wright gets brought up.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:15 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I guess this means Isbister draws back into the lineup. Not too sure if I'm pleased with that. I'm guessing Wright gets brought up.
IMO Salmo or Rita should be brought up and showcased - what the hell can it hurt, the team is already losing, and if they can step in and perform then right on - if not, no loss.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:27 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
IMO Salmo or Rita should be brought up and showcased - what the hell can it hurt, the team is already losing, and if they can step in and perform then right on - if not, no loss.
Should is a term that I seldom use when I'm predicting what the Oilers WILL do. I'd like it very much if I could see Rita up here... but I don't think it's going to happen.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:34 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
And why does Rita deserve a shot?

You are going to reward a player who isn't even playing well in the AHL with a callup?

Wright or Salmo should be the first callups, not Rita.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:38 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Wright or Salmo should be the first callups, not Rita.
Salmo has 4 pts on the season so far as does Rita. So why are you rewarding Salmo with the shot at the big club and not Rita?

Old
10-27-2003, 05:45 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Salmo has 4 pts on the season so far as does Rita. So why are you rewarding Salmo with the shot at the big club and not Rita?
Rita is supposed to be the better player, but he hasn't been... you don't reward a player just because he is the top of the list in terms of the depth chart, otherwise, where is his motivation to play well?

Salmo has more shots, a better +/-, and quite frankly, do you reward the guy who is playing down a level, or up a level?

Old
10-27-2003, 05:49 PM
momentai

Quote:
Salmo has more shots, a better +/-, and quite frankly, do you reward the guy who is playing down a level, or up a level?
So? If you're going by that... then I don't see why you would Salmalainen ahead of Nate. Your two players mentioned should have been Jamie Wright and Nate Dicasmirro then.

Salmo is supposed to be a better player than Nate, right? So why reward the guy playing down a level, than a guy playing up a level?

Old
10-27-2003, 05:58 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
So? If you're going by that... then I don't see why you would Salmalainen ahead of Nate. Your two players mentioned should have been Jamie Wright and Nate Dicasmirro then.

Salmo is supposed to be a better player than Nate, right? So why reward the guy playing down a level, than a guy playing up a level?
Are you trying to get into a pissing contest?

Firstly, you are comparing a rookie to guys who have been in the AHL before. Salmo so far has made a pretty successful transition to the AHL from Europe, and game in and game out has proven to not only be a consistant offensive threat, but solid in his own end as well.

Old
10-27-2003, 05:59 PM
FacelessButcher

4th line prediction Torres-Stoll-Isbister(provided Laraque is hurt of course)

Old
10-27-2003, 06:10 PM
momentai

Quote:
Are you trying to get into a pissing contest?

Firstly, you are comparing a rookie to guys who have been in the AHL before. Salmo so far has made a pretty successful transition to the AHL from Europe, and game in and game out has proven to not only be a consistant offensive threat, but solid in his own end as well.
Not really. Just found you being a little hyprocritcal is all. You say that Rita certainly deserve any shot in the NHL from his apparently "not playing well at all". And you can hardly justify Tony's play as being all the much better.

Tony Salmalainen's regular season stats last year were:
GP G A Pts
67 14 19 33

Hardly indicative of a consistent scoring threat..

I just find your opinions on Jani Rita... how we say, a little jaded is all. You believe Tony deserves a shot up here and Rita doesn't when the difference between them isn't at all large... You brought up Salmo's name up so quickly... but Nate Discasmirro has more pts than either of them and is more solid in his own end than either.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What an odd response....

A regular player goes down, but we're not debating how long he'll be out or the impact, instead we're somehow saying this is going to benefit the team?? Sounds like the same "we have too many good players" thing again. A reminder: having more than enough good players is a GREAT thing.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:21 PM
outKast*

dawgbone that is the worst reasoning ever. So what if Rita isn't lighting it up and he's highly touted? that doesnt make Salmo a better player. Their skill levels and stats are totally different things.

Here's an analogy...it's not great but it should show you momentia's point. Take the world cup and team Canada's roster...

Brendan Shanahan is supposed to be a superstar premiere power forward. after 8 games he has 7 points. That's not bad, but when you look at a guy like Tanguay who has 11 points in 8 games, would you honestly take Alex over Brendan to compete against the world? Brendan is supposed to be better in every way but Alex is performing better. Do you choose Alex because of Stats or Brendan because of the intagibles and talent level? again it's a bad analogy but i hope you get the point. You are entitled to you opinion and i'll take it for what it is.

oilflip

Old
10-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
It was reported on CFRN this evening that Laraque broke his hand in the fight with Oliwa.

He had x-rays today but the results aren't known yet.
Any mention how it happened. Laraque is sure becoming injure prone, isn't he.

10-27-2003, 06:31 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Not really. Just found you being a little hyprocritcal is all. You say that Rita certainly deserve any shot in the NHL from his apparently "not playing well at all". And you can hardly justify Tony's play as being all the much better.

Tony Salmalainen's regular season stats last year were:
GP G A Pts
67 14 19 33

Hardly indicative of a consistent scoring threat..

I just find your opinions on Jani Rita... how we say, a little jaded is all. You believe Tony deserves a shot up here and Rita doesn't when the difference between them isn't at all large... You brought up Salmo's name up so quickly... but Nate Discasmirro has more pts than either of them and is more solid in his own end than either.
The point is, Rita shouldn't be hovering around at 4 points, he should be dominating, and he isn't. He isn't playing up to the level he can be, and it doesn't make sense to reward that.

Salmo on the other hand, is doing all the right things. He has been creating all kinds of chances (leading the team in shots), and when you listen to the radio play by play (of the opposition), they are in awe of how he does everything at full speed all the time, in both ends of the ice.

How many AHL games have you watched or listened to this season? Are you really willing to comment on how good DisCasmirro has been in his own end? Because based on their stats and radio play by play, Salmo has.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
outKast*

Quote:
The point is, Rita shouldn't be hovering around at 4 points, he should be dominating, and he isn't. He isn't playing up to the level he can be, and it doesn't make sense to reward that.

Salmo on the other hand, is doing all the right things. He has been creating all kinds of chances (leading the team in shots), and when you listen to the radio play by play (of the opposition), they are in awe of how he does everything at full speed all the time, in both ends of the ice.

How many AHL games have you watched or listened to this season? Are you really willing to comment on how good DisCasmirro has been in his own end? Because based on their stats and radio play by play, Salmo has.
In short you're arguing that the player that's worked for it and deserves it the most should get the chance over the more skilled player who hasnt worked as hard but has performed simalarily. yah i kind of get what you mean now. If everything is true about Laraque i still think that Rita should get the nod over Salmo. It could help in Rita's development to take the next step to the NHL. It wouldnt have any negative efect on him anyways so what the heck.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Any mention how it happened. Laraque is sure becoming injure prone, isn't he.
No, I would assume that it might have been hitting Oliwa's helmet but that is just a guess.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:39 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
dawgbone that is the worst reasoning ever. So what if Rita isn't lighting it up and he's highly touted? that doesnt make Salmo a better player. Their skill levels and stats are totally different things.

Here's an analogy...it's not great but it should show you momentia's point. Take the world cup and team Canada's roster...

Brendan Shanahan is supposed to be a superstar premiere power forward. after 8 games he has 7 points. That's not bad, but when you look at a guy like Tanguay who has 11 points in 8 games, would you honestly take Alex over Brendan to compete against the world? Brendan is supposed to be better in every way but Alex is performing better. Do you choose Alex because of Stats or Brendan because of the intagibles and talent level? again it's a bad analogy but i hope you get the point. You are entitled to you opinion and i'll take it for what it is.

oilflip
You are comparing apples to oranges here...

You are talking about a guy who has shown the ability to pick his game up a level, and a veteran who is capable of commanding respect in the dressing room, and who brings all kinds of intangibles.

Rita doesn't quite bring that to the table does he? If they are both playing their best, Rita gets the callup, hands down, but that isn't what is happening right now.

It isn't just the stats... my question is, are you going to reward the guy simply because he is the top guy on the depth chart list, or are you going to promote the guy who is playing better. If Rita gets an undeserving callup, what message does that send, not only to the players on the team, but future players?

"We are going to call up the top guy on our depth chart, no matter what."

I mean, everyone *****es that Mac-T lives up to this philosophy (not necessarily playing the guys who are at their best, but guys he likes)...

Old
10-27-2003, 06:41 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
It wouldnt have any negative efect on him anyways so what the heck.
It certainly could have a negative effect. If he figures that he is getting the callup no matter what, what motivation is there for him to work his butt off every day in Toronto.

The Oilers desparately need him to earn his spot, not have it handed it to him, it will make him a better player in the end.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:51 PM
outKast*

k, last summer Jani Rita was the #1 prospect in the World and Salmo wasn't even on the Top 50. Think the NHL as the World Cup and the AHL as the NHL.

1.Brendan Shanahan = One of the Best Power Forwards in the game. = hype
1a. Jani Rita = former #1 prospect in the World. supposed "budding power forward" = hype

2. Alex Tanguay = plays on a line with superstars. has a lot of points.
2a. Plays on Toronto's top 6. Has the same amount of points as Jani and playing well without the hype.

1 vs 2.
History proves Brendan is the better player.
Brendan has competed intenationally.
Brendan has a reputation as a premiere power forward.
Brendan's intagibles and talent level over tanguay tear on the scoreboard.

1a. vs 2a.
history proves Jani to be the better player.
Jani has competed in the NHL. Salmo hasnt. (Regular season grind)
Jani was formerly best propect in the world.
Hyped as a budding power forward/ 1st or 2nd line sniper.
Jani's talent level and skill over Salmo's hard work. The coaches can teach Jani work ethic! but they can't teach Salmo to be as talented as Jani.

It's really hard to see it from my POV but but in short i would pick Jani's talent over Salmo. Salmo is talented also but Rita has the potential to be more than Salmo. He'll be more than a third liner unlinke Salmo.

I can't compare apple to oranges but i can argue for eternity that in some wierd way, my analogy works. Take it for what it is dawgbone, my opinion.

oilflip

Old
10-27-2003, 07:11 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It certainly could have a negative effect. If he figures that he is getting the callup no matter what, what motivation is there for him to work his butt off every day in Toronto.

The Oilers desparately need him to earn his spot, not have it handed it to him, it will make him a better player in the end.
Rita is more skilled and has more potential and that is the simple reason he should get the call. If you think he'll take the callup forgranted then you have very quickly forgot his past. This kis HAS worked hard trying to get to the NHL, but a combination of no room, no luck, and not having his best every night have kept him down. I mean when he was called up last year he played pretty good IMO - he was real good defensively, and didn't make any mistakes that hurt the team. He scored three goals in 12 games which at that pace would give him 20-21 goals on a full season. Trust me, this kid isn't taking anything forgranted. The thing that I really wondered about was MacT in preseason. He had a good start in the scrimage and in the first games, and then all of a sudden he is on the fourth line and then not suprisingly he doesn't put up numbers on the fourth line and that is how MacT can justify keeping Pisani up. It's a joke. This kid has earned a good long shot.

IMO both Salmo and Rita should be called up as Georges is hurt and won't be playing, and Pisani hasn't helped the team AT ALL!

Old
10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Rita is more skilled and has more potential and that is the simple reason he should get the call. If you think he'll take the callup forgranted then you have very quickly forgot his past. This kis HAS worked hard trying to get to the NHL, but a combination of no room, no luck, and not having his best every night have kept him down. I mean when he was called up last year he played pretty good IMO - he was real good defensively, and didn't make any mistakes that hurt the team. He scored three goals in 12 games which at that pace would give him 20-21 goals on a full season. Trust me, this kid isn't taking anything forgranted. The thing that I really wondered about was MacT in preseason. He had a good start in the scrimage and in the first games, and then all of a sudden he is on the fourth line and then not suprisingly he doesn't put up numbers on the fourth line and that is how MacT can justify keeping Pisani up. It's a joke. This kid has earned a good long shot.

IMO both Salmo and Rita should be called up as Georges is hurt and won't be playing, and Pisani hasn't helped the team AT ALL!
Once again, I just want to point out that it sets a pretty dangerous precedant that you will callup the player who is at the top of the prospect depth chart no matter what.

As for forgetting what Rita has been through... no I haven't... but I also saw him coast after he got sent back down to the AHL last year... and it got to the point that when the playoffs hit, he was compeletely ineffective, and no matter what he tried, he couldn't get it going again.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:32 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Once again, I just want to point out that it sets a pretty dangerous precedant that you will callup the player who is at the top of the prospect depth chart no matter what.

As for forgetting what Rita has been through... no I haven't... but I also saw him coast after he got sent back down to the AHL last year... and it got to the point that when the playoffs hit, he was compeletely ineffective, and no matter what he tried, he couldn't get it going again.
A dangerous precedant? I'm affraid that arguement is null and void with how long Pisani has been up here. Coaching staffs and management do what they think will help the team win - not what will make a few others who are on the cusp of making it disapointed. If Rita got called up tomorrow Salmo wouldn't stop trying, I can guarentee you that. And if he did, then he doesn't have much character.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Digger12

If a guy is called up (still very speculative at this point) and it's a choice between Salmo and Rita, I'd pick Salmo because IMO he deserves it more at this point.

He had a better AHL playoff than Rita, he had a better training camp overall, and if nothing else we know he'll give it his all every shift. Why not reward him with an NHL game or two?

Closed Thread