HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tom Poti and Mike Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 06:10 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Tom Poti and Mike Comrie

Do any of you remember how long Tom Poti held out when he was here in Edmonton? (I don't remember) Point is after that he got booed out of Edmonton. Tom Poti is very offensively talented but can't play a lick of defense. Mike Comrie is a talented player who hasnt figured out how to play defense correctly and is somewhat selfish on the ice (too many dipsy doodles on the opposing end and losing it. pass!). If Comrie does sign, how do we know that the same thing wont happen. Kevin Lowe is in a real tough position because if they boo Comrie out of Edmonton, his trade stock would lower even more than it has now. What are your comments on this. Is it better to trade or not? This could be a risk.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:11 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Do any of you remember how long Tom Poti held out when he was here in Edmonton? Point is after that he got booed out of Edmonton. Tom Poti is very offensively talented but can't play a lick of defense. Mike Comrie is a talented player who hasnt figured out how to play defense correctly and is somewhat selfish on the ice. If Comrie does sign, how do we know that the same thing wont happen. Kevin Lowe is in a real tough position because if they boo Comrie out of Edmonton, his trade stock would lower even more than it has now. What are you comments on this. Is it better to trade or not? This could be a risk.
I think it depends on the contract (if he signs that is). If it's a big deal, I can see him getting booed... but if it is a pretty reasonable deal, I think the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt...

At least I hope they would.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:13 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well I have made my stance on booing your own players pretty clear. It helps nothing and only hurts the player and in turn the team - so what kind of fan truely boos one of their own players?

Old
10-27-2003, 06:15 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
so what kind of fan truely boos one of their own players?
Montreal fans and Edmonton fans :p

Old
10-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Poti was eventually signed on October 17, 2001. He missed 7 games before he was finally signed.

10-27-2003, 06:21 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Montreal fans and Edmonton fans :p
Well Montreal idiots (not all, just the ones who boo) are pathetic. I absolutely hated how people bood Poti, as it only hurt his performance and took away from his trade value which doesn't at ALL help the team.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Is it better to trade or not? This could be a risk.
Kind of a moot question at this point, don't you think? Everything points towards a trade right now, so we may as well make the best of it whether it's risky or not.

As for Poti, I don't recall him being booed right away after he came back.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Kind of a moot question at this point, don't you think? Everything points towards a trade right now, so we may as well make the best of it whether it's risky or not.

As for Poti, I don't recall him being booed right away after he came back.
I do. I was at the first game that he played that year in skyreach and he was bood by a loud minority of fans - enough that it was very noticable. Then with his so-so play (should be expected when the kid has just sat out a long time) the boo birds increased in numbers.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:33 PM
USC Trojans
AD

if I remember correctly, most of the fans booed him cause of his poor play...of course, his holdout already caused some displeasure in most fan's minds.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:37 PM
jadeddog

not really an issue though with comrie as hes goners

Old
10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Digger12

Quote:
I do. I was at the first game that he played that year in skyreach and he was bood by a loud minority of fans - enough that it was very noticable. Then with his so-so play (should be expected when the kid has just sat out a long time) the boo birds increased in numbers.
I wasn't there, so I'll take your word for it.

It's too bad he had to miss camp, if he'd started well I bet those boo-birds would've gone away quickly.

Old
10-27-2003, 06:44 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Well I have made my stance on booing your own players pretty clear. It helps nothing and only hurts the player and in turn the team - so what kind of fan truely boos one of their own players?
I thought you were suggesting earlier in the season that everyone should boo Pisani?

Old
10-27-2003, 06:59 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
if I remember correctly, most of the fans booed him cause of his poor play...of course, his holdout already caused some displeasure in most fan's minds.
Yes, because he had whined in the media about how the Oilers' offer was so unfair for a player of his calibre (essentially). That, for me, was the start of the ill-will towards Poti. Then coming back and sucking (and dragging down Brewer's play at the same time) wasn't cool at all.

On the other hand, his play did improve, but the booing continued - he had become a scapegoat for all that was wrong with the Oilers at that time, unfortunately.

Bart

Old
10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I wasn't there, so I'll take your word for it.

It's too bad he had to miss camp, if he'd started well I bet those boo-birds would've gone away quickly.

hey, in that situation im all for the booing because in the end it got us Yorkie. But i do agree, its an incredibly stupid gesture. On the other hand, booing a former hometown hero coming to play his former team.....

Closed Thread