HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #5, aka, the next ranting report.

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 08:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #5, aka, the next ranting report.

Shawn Horcoff is not a first-line center.

Eric Brewer needs to figure out who the Eric Brewer was that played for the Olympic team.

Tommy Salo has weaker fundamentals than Ty Conklin. The game is not played laying on the ice Tommy.

Ryan Smyth needs to figure out that you don't score along the ice very often in the NHL, especially after recieving a cross-ice pass and having a wide-open top 3/4 of the net to shoot at.

Ales Hemsky needs a skilled forward to play with, someone that can actually keep up.

Raffi Torres needs to start running people and causing trouble.

Fernando Pisani needs to have his job on the line every night like last season.

Ty Conklin needs to heal, QUICKLY.

Scott Ferguson needs to be given a press box seat. Getting flat-out burned by Krystof Oliwa should speak for itself.

Steve Staios needs a defensive partner who plays as hard as he does.

Jason Smith needs to stop going for the big hit and learn some defensive skills.

Alex Semenov needs to keep shooting on the powerplay, that cannon is lethal.

Cory Cross needs to use his reach more often, and play snarly every night.

Jason Chimera has to remember that he's a good hockey player with speed to burn and finishing ability.

Marty Reasoner should get his chance to play with skilled linemates.

Marc-Andre Bergeron needs to be in the lineup, not hangin out in the PB in a suit and yellow tie, but on the ice in a uniform.

Brad Isbister should realize he's got the ability to dominate on any given night if he'd just give the effort.

Georges Laraque has to start getting on his own team to get going.

Jarret Stoll will be a good NHL hockey player, but he still needs a ton of work.

Stephen Valiquette should've got a chance tonight, instead we saw his mastery of the door opening art and water bottle tossing prowess.

Peter Sarno should be recalled.

Mike Comrie should sign/be signed.

Craig MacTavish needs to figure out who was behind the bench against Colorado, and coach like that guy.

Kevin Lowe needs to do something intelligent, NOW.

Peter Bondra would look really nice recieving passes from Ales Hemsky and being the first decent Oiler to ever wear #12

The fans need to be more vocal, let the team know that horrible performances like that won't stand.

The media needs to start holding this organization accountable.

Tonight was downright embarassing, a dude in a Ronald/Lanny MacDonald outfit got to go home happy. Our team played like a group of total clowns on Hockey Night in Canada, for a packed house, against a horrible hockey team.

What a joke............

Old
10-25-2003, 08:49 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Salo wouldn't be lying all over the ice if the Oilers don't continually leave players right on the doorstep.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Salo wouldn't be lying all over the ice if the Oilers don't continually leave players right on the doorstep.
Goalies need to make big saves once in a while, not only does Tommy Salo not make big saves, he lets in weak goals. Tommy is just not a good enough goaltender right now.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Shawn Horcoff is not a first-line center.

Eric Brewer needs to figure out who the Eric Brewer was that played for the Olympic team.

Tommy Salo has weaker fundamentals than Ty Conklin. The game is not played laying on the ice Tommy.

Ryan Smyth needs to figure out that you don't score along the ice very often in the NHL, especially after recieving a cross-ice pass and having a wide-open top 3/4 of the net to shoot at.

Ales Hemsky needs a skilled forward to play with, someone that can actually keep up.

Raffi Torres needs to start running people and causing trouble.

Fernando Pisani needs to have his job on the line every night like last season.

Ty Conklin needs to heal, QUICKLY.

Scott Ferguson needs to be given a press box seat. Getting flat-out burned by Krystof Oliwa should speak for itself.

Steve Staios needs a defensive partner who plays as hard as he does.

Jason Smith needs to stop going for the big hit and learn some defensive skills.

Alex Semenov needs to keep shooting on the powerplay, that cannon is lethal.

Cory Cross needs to use his reach more often, and play snarly every night.

Jason Chimera has to remember that he's a good hockey player with speed to burn and finishing ability.

Marty Reasoner should get his chance to play with skilled linemates.

Marc-Andre Bergeron needs to be in the lineup, not hangin out in the PB in a suit and yellow tie, but on the ice in a uniform.

Brad Isbister should realize he's got the ability to dominate on any given night if he'd just give the effort.

Georges Laraque has to start getting on his own team to get going.

Jarret Stoll will be a good NHL hockey player, but he still needs a ton of work.

Stephen Valiquette should've got a chance tonight, instead we saw his mastery of the door opening art and water bottle tossing prowess.

Peter Sarno should be recalled.

Mike Comrie should sign/be signed.

Craig MacTavish needs to figure out who was behind the bench against Colorado, and coach like that guy.

Kevin Lowe needs to do something intelligent, NOW.

Peter Bondra would look really nice recieving passes from Ales Hemsky and being the first decent Oiler to ever wear #12

The fans need to be more vocal, let the team know that horrible performances like that won't stand.

The media needs to start holding this organization accountable.

Tonight was downright embarassing, a dude in a Ronald/Lanny MacDonald outfit got to go home happy. Our team played like a group of total clowns on Hockey Night in Canada, for a packed house, against a horrible hockey team.

What a joke............

I know your opinion is a little biased on Hemsky, but, I think you could be a little more critical of his play.. something along the lines of, lets make sure of the pass, especially along the blue line, before we turn it over to the opposition. Hemsky is guilty of being just a little to cutsie with the puck. SHOOT THAT ******* PUCK A LITTLE MORE WHEN YOUR IN THE SLOT!!!!!

Old
10-25-2003, 08:57 PM
kruezer

Quote:

against a horrible hockey team.

What a joke............
Well since I'm on a mission to destroy this myth, I'll explain it here too....lets face it the Oilers are a very young team and not only young in age but young in NHL experience, The Flames are an older and more experienced team that has many players who have been through the playoffs wars many times. As well the Flames team defense is better than Edmontons, the Flames defense-corps is better than Edmontons and they have a better defense to offense turnover. They give the puck away much less than Edmonton and stay composed even after giving up two goals in a tough situation (not that Lydman didn't deserve that penalty but they pulled through). I mean tonight Calgary had the better goalie, and the better defense corp, also I think Calgary's checking line of Gelinas-Yelle-Donovan is better and more experienced than any checking line the Oilers put together. The forwards from Calgary have not been scoring so far but I think that tonight showed that we can score and are just snakebit so far. Thats all I have to say.....

PS - put Reasoner on the first line, this guy is underrated for his offense, which is really why he was picked by St. Loo in the first place.

Old
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
I know your opinion is a little biased on Hemsky, but, I think you could be a little more critical of his play.. something along the lines of, lets make sure of the pass, especially along the blue line, before we turn it over to the opposition. Hemsky is guilty of being just a little to cutsie with the puck. SHOOT THAT ******* PUCK A LITTLE MORE WHEN YOUR IN THE SLOT!!!!!
I simply think that if he has someone moving at his speed, and knowing where to go to get his passes, and pass to him, he'd be lighting it up like crazy right now because he wouldn't have to do it himself. I don't want to see him start wasting shots like alot of Oilers do, that puck-patience is a gift that very few players have, knowing when you can score and taking the shot then, and looking for the best possible option. I'm not gonna criticize him on a night like tonight, just like I'm not gonna criticize a guy like Marty, it wasn't their fault.

Old
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss

But, I gotta admit, your absolutely right on Ferguson, and Salo, and also on lets sign comrie very f@#$%& SOON!!!! Damn we can't win a draw to save our lives.......

Old
10-25-2003, 08:58 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Goalies need to make big saves once in a while, not only does Tommy Salo not make big saves, he lets in weak goals. Tommy is just not a good enough goaltender right now.
Salo is the last person who should have any blame on tonight's game. Both of those cross-crease passes were shot into the upper half of the net (where Smyth failed to put his)...

He did come up with some big saves. The little flurry early on in the first period where he made the glove save on Conroy I beleive.

Salo had a very solid game, nothing in terms of a weak goal, plus he controlled his rebounds very well, and even played the puck well.

He was about as fundamentally sound as a goaltender could be tonight.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
I simply think that if he has someone moving at his speed, and knowing where to go to get his passes, and pass to him, he'd be lighting it up like crazy right now because he wouldn't have to do it himself. I don't want to see him start wasting shots like alot of Oilers do, that puck-patience is a gift that very few players have, knowing when you can score and taking the shot then, and looking for the best possible option. I'm not gonna criticize him on a night like tonight, just like I'm not gonna criticize a guy like Marty, it wasn't their fault.
Moving at his speed? Hemsky is at his best when he slows it right down and finds the open man....

He isn't nearly as effective at full speed as he is when he controls the pace. He had an alright game, but he blew a couple of good scoring chances by either not shooting, or like that stupid drop pass at the blueline on the powerplay.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Salo is the last person who should have any blame on tonight's game. Both of those cross-crease passes were shot into the upper half of the net (where Smyth failed to put his)...

He did come up with some big saves. The little flurry early on in the first period where he made the glove save on Conroy I beleive.

Salo had a very solid game, nothing in terms of a weak goal, plus he controlled his rebounds very well, and even played the puck well.

He was about as fundamentally sound as a goaltender could be tonight.
Just for reference, what would it take for you to be mad at Salo's performance after a game? This guy is supposed to be a world-class goalie, in fact, he used to be, now, I'd rather have a guy who spent last year in the AHL in my net.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:02 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Moving at his speed? Hemsky is at his best when he slows it right down and finds the open man....

He isn't nearly as effective at full speed as he is when he controls the pace. He had an alright game, but he blew a couple of good scoring chances by either not shooting, or like that stupid drop pass at the blueline on the powerplay.
Mental and playmaking speed...I thought that was implied. Keep up in that sense. If all that was required was footspeed, then Jason Chimera would be ripping it up.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

my turn ....
WOW....how in the hell do you lose to the Calgary Flames twice in 2 games?!?!?! please tell me...

Ales Hemsky is simply an AMAZING hockey player...he does virtually everything right and if he played with Iginla or Kariya or Bondra would just be even more amazing...Get someone to play with this guy...a nice start would be to get Comrie signed...SIGN MIKE COMRIE...CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!!

The Really Bad and The Really Ugly

Brewer-What happened? Poor play, some bad giveaways, needs the be the #1 dman we all know he is capable of being.

Ferguson-Oliwa actually burned you...that speaks for itself...

The Bad and The Ugly

Horcoff-Should definatly not be on the top line. Constantly gave up the puck and blew chances.

Laraque-Where is the BG that dominates the boards? Dropped the gloves at least. When he plays with alot of emotion he is great...otherwise

Pisani-Didnt do anything, missed one major chance when he had it all alone.

Salo-Couldnt have done much else...The Oliwa goal was bad...Seemed like he just wasnt reacting normally. Needs to be a hell of alot better considering what we are paying him.

Smith-Hurt the team when he went for the big hit and missed...resulted in the Flames lighting up the twine...

Stoll-not quite ready...get Sarno up here give Stoll first line minutes in TO.

Torres-Nothing great...didnt do much wrong. Where is the **** distuber this guy is suppost to be?

Mediocre

Chimera-Better game from him...Doesnt seem like he gives it his all however.

Cross-Decent game, did his job. No VERY bad giveaways to my recollection. (2 good looking friends to my left may have hampered my vision at times)

Dvorak-On the verge of breaking out...shows great hustle and heart almost 100% of the time. Bounces just arnt going his way right now.

Reasoner-Solid play, missed on chance which would have been huge.

Semenov-Played pretty good...Used his shot very well (even broke the glass with it). Should definately play next game.

Smyth-Decent game nothing too great yet everything was solid.

Staios-IMO the oilers best dman thusfar. Plays with great heart and gives it his all.

York-Nothing fancy but was one of the better players one the ice.

The Bold and The Beautiful

Hemsky-Like #1 said and I said earlier...This guys needs some other skilled forward to play with him...Would even be that much more effective...nonetheless still has 8 points in 8 games.

Moreau-Gives it his all and grinds it out every shift. Good PK with his good forecheck. I thought he was overpaid but am starting to think different.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:15 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Just for reference, what would it take for you to be mad at Salo's performance after a game? This guy is supposed to be a world-class goalie, in fact, he used to be, now, I'd rather have a guy who spent last year in the AHL in my net.
It sure as hell won't be a game like that. No goaltender in the NHL is going to stop the 2 power play goals he gave up (cross crease into the top corner).

Old
10-25-2003, 09:17 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Mental and playmaking speed...I thought that was implied. Keep up in that sense. If all that was required was footspeed, then Jason Chimera would be ripping it up.
Part of the problem is the a lot of times now, the opposition is giving Hemsky the shot, and taking away his passing lanes... he needs to shoot the puck, and start soon, otherwise, he could be playing with Jari Kurri and it wouldn't make a difference.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
my turn ....
ice.
4Hemsky - Teams are now cheating towards the other players leaving him no one to pass too. Hemsky one word for you, SHOOT!

[.
Hey that was exactly what I said in my post. Obviously great minds think alike.

It was even the exact same wording!

Old
10-25-2003, 09:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Part of the problem is the a lot of times now, the opposition is giving Hemsky the shot, and taking away his passing lanes... he needs to shoot the puck, and start soon, otherwise, he could be playing with Jari Kurri and it wouldn't make a difference.
When there is a scoring opportunity shot there, to me he's taking it. I just think teams are cutting him off really well in that way. Also, if there was another skilled forward there, the other team wouldn't be able to key-in, and one of the two would be able to walk in, odds are.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

I was going to reply and comment on it...then decided against it...then i couldnt find it...all good now

Old
10-25-2003, 09:26 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

lol... I just read yours... meh... at least I am not the only one who noticed.

Old
10-25-2003, 09:31 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
When there is a scoring opportunity shot there, to me he's taking it. I just think teams are cutting him off really well in that way. Also, if there was another skilled forward there, the other team wouldn't be able to key-in, and one of the two would be able to walk in, odds are.
Teams are playing the pass on him everytime, daring him to shoot. He isn't nearly as effective 5 on 5 this year as he was late last year, because teams know his tendancies... pass first, shoot never.

That being said, he is the best power play player we have had since Gretzky....

Old
10-25-2003, 09:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Thats what scares me...He doesnt look as good as we know he can be...still pretty good but still has 8 points in 8 games...

Old
10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
zamboni

How could the Oilers ever afford Bondra

Old
10-25-2003, 10:21 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

He made less than comrie did last year if you include comrie's bonus's.....

Old
10-26-2003, 04:13 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
He made less than comrie did last year if you include comrie's bonus's.....
So then what do we do with Comrie, or the player(s) we get from him then?

Old
10-26-2003, 04:29 AM
Yanner39

I've been ripping Salo pretty bad these last few days but I can't hardly blame him for last night. Even our defense was not that bad. The problem IMO was that the Oilers could not sustain any pressure in the flames zone and pepper Mclennan with alot of shots. Some of us have been crapping on Salo these last few days but I'd rather have him than Mclennan. But that's was the problem last night: no pressure in the Cgy zone.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
So then what do we do with Comrie, or the player(s) we get from him then?
well we gotta trade someone to get bondra....

Closed Thread