HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribero needs to sit

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
I thought he played well.
he did. he played very well. but people will blame him, anyways.

Old
03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFan
im sure there is player in hamilton that will play with more heart than ribero. he's not the kind of player i would want for a playoff run or in the playoffs. why not give corey locke a chance?
Locke is the same kind of players but he's much behind in his devellopement. That would be a very dumb move. I'm glad our management are'nt blind haters.

Old
03-21-2006, 09:24 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Put Plekanec with Kovalev to have a real consistent offensive line.. Plain simple!!!

Replace Ryder by Perezhogin on the first line to get some offense from this line!!

You dont have to know the game much to realize it!

Old
03-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Locke is the same kind of players but he's much behind in his devellopement. That would be a very dumb move. I'm glad our management are'nt blind haters.
Locke will probably never see a game in a habs jersey. I'm not saying this cuz I hate him (cuz I'm a huge fan), it's just that I don't see it happening. I mean we've got 4 more talented centers on our hands right now and we've got chipchura coming up too. If it happens, it's not gonna be easy.

Old
03-21-2006, 10:05 PM
znk

There are some ppl I can argue with...and disagree with....but still I respect their opinion because...even I i dont agree...i can see where they are comming from.

But...some times...ppl go straight to the ignore list.

Old
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
There are some ppl I can argue with...and disagree with....but still I respect their opinion because...even I i dont agree...i can see where they are comming from.

But...some times...ppl go straight to the ignore list.
Lemme guess NewHabs?

Old
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Lemme guess NewHabs?
Ding Ding Ding!

And ppl who start thread like this one...when the guy actualy played a pretty decent game are strong contenders...at least...for a probation period.

Old
03-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Laurentides

Koivu needs to sit......

lol, come on guys...........

Old
03-21-2006, 11:33 PM
HABitude

We don't have a real #1 center. None of Koivu and Ribeiro are.
Only solution : make a line with Higgins, Plekanec and Kovalev. Worth a try. There is enough energy and talent there to make something happen. Habs have nothing to lose at this point.

I think next summer Gainey will have to find a real center with speed and a shot. To make Kovalev produce or a finisher for Kovalev's plays.

Old
03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides
Koivu needs to sit......

lol, come on guys...........
...maybe.

???

Where is Koivu btw? At Torino Italy?

Old
03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
We don't have a real #1 center. None of Koivu and Ribeiro are.
Only solution : make a line with Higgins, Plekanec and Kovalev. Worth a try. There is enough energy and talent there to make something happen. Habs have nothing to lose at this point.

I think next summer Gainey will have to find a real center with speed and a shot. To make Kovalev produce or a finisher for Kovalev's plays.
Ah yes, Koivu not a #1 centre... I see... good enough to be the #1 centre on a Silver and Bronze medal winning UNDERDOG team at two Olympic games, but not REALLY a #1 centre...

I can't believe people still come up with this crap. Koivu is more than adequate as a #1 centre for any team in the NHL.
Is he playing lights out hockey right now... NO, fine, call it the post olympic fatigue, call it playing with a rookie and an overhyped one trick pony (I absolutely hate to say it, but given the same ice time and linemates, I don't doubt that Dagenais would have as many goals as Ryder), call it playing on a team with no secondary scoring... BUT PLEASE stop ragging on Koivu.

He is a fantastic hockey player, and as much as I don't agree with a few of Gainey's moves, I think the contract extension he gave Koivu reflects that he sees the same thing... so if you won't listen to me, listen to Bob.

P.S Why don't you ask Selanne if Koivu is any good at "making him produce" or "finishing his plays"

Old
03-22-2006, 05:05 AM
habslife

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Put Plekanec with Kovalev to have a real consistent offensive line.. Plain simple!!!

Replace Ryder by Perezhogin on the first line to get some offense from this line!!

You dont have to know the game much to realize it!

Plain simple!!!

Plekanec has been a real point producer this year
He is certainly better than Koivu and Ribeiro
He has been so dominant and I didn't realize it. Sorry, I don't know the game as well as you are. Thanks for teaching me.

Old
03-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
He had 3-4 scoring chances tonight. He did no worse than Kovalev.
There is no comparison between Ribeiro and Kovalev. There isn't now and there won't ever be. Ribeiro is brutal. Did you see him floating on Bergenheim's goal? He just stood beside Bergenheim until the Bergy finally stuffed the puck in. Princess Ribeiro thinks he doesn't have to play defense. He is clearly holding Kovalev back. I would rather see Bonk play with Kovalev.

In response to this thread, don't worry. One thing you can be sure of is that Gainey will not keep a soft, small, ineffective, defensive liability like Ribeiro around much longer. I will be even happier when Ribs leaves than I was when Theo left.

Old
03-22-2006, 06:26 AM
NoKtUrN

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11
if bg doesnt shuffle up the first 2 lines, i'm gonna rip his face off
That' might make him look better.

Old
03-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22
There is no comparison between Ribeiro and Kovalev. There isn't now and there won't ever be. Ribeiro is brutal. Did you see him floating on Bergenheim's goal?
True, Ribeiro was to blame for that goal.

Did you see Kovalev in that defensive sequence? I didn't either. Reason being that Kovalev was floating in the neutral zone.

The defensive collapse was a group effort there--Zednik, Dandenault, Kovalev, Ribeiro all handled their defensive jobs poorly. The only player on the ice who properly eliminated their man from the play was Todd Simpson.

Old
03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

Did you see Kovalev in that defensive sequence? I didn't either. Reason being that Kovalev was floating in the neutral zone.
I disagree. If you go to nhl.com/scores, you can watch the highlights and what you will notice at the end of the sequence is that Kovalev is in between the hash marks, in the middle of the ice, filling in the passing lane to the defenseman....exactly as his position requires. Ribeiro, on the other hand, was totally uninterested in his coverage. This kind of stuff has to stop. Again, this is why Ribeiro has no place on our team. The only place he can play is 2nd line centre, because he's not good enough to be a first line centre and he's not defensively capable enough to play on the 3rd or 4th line. But if he's our second line centre, that line cannot win face-offs or play at both ends.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:06 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
I disagree. If you go to nhl.com/scores, you can watch the highlights and what you will notice at the end of the sequence is that Kovalev is in between the hash marks, in the middle of the ice, filling in the passing lane to the defenseman....exactly as his position requires. Ribeiro, on the other hand, was totally uninterested in his coverage. This kind of stuff has to stop. Again, this is why Ribeiro has no place on our team. The only place he can play is 2nd line centre, because he's not good enough to be a first line centre and he's not defensively capable enough to play on the 3rd or 4th line. But if he's our second line centre, that line cannot win face-offs or play at both ends.
Unfortunately, you take Ribs out and you are left with no C's actually producing. Yeah, he may screw up here and there but at least he is producing unlike our other C's. Our problem is with getting the damn puck in the net, not defense. Create lines with C's that are defensively sound is all well and good but if they don't produce, you are still going to lose. At least with Ribs producing you have a chance of winning. Personally I would rather chance on Ribs with all his faults then losing all the time because our offense is anemic.

Old
03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Please don't compare Ribeiro and Koivu. They're as unlike as can be except for their both being playmakers rather than snipers. If a video camera followed them both and the images of their skate marks were digitized, we'd see that Koivu covers ice in every zone more completely than Ribeiro and gets more involved in fighting for the puck. He's certainly more compatible with Kovalev than Ribeiro is.

Old
03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
There is no comparison between Ribeiro and Kovalev. There isn't now and there won't ever be. Ribeiro is brutal. Did you see him floating on Bergenheim's goal? He just stood beside Bergenheim until the Bergy finally stuffed the puck in. Princess Ribeiro thinks he doesn't have to play defense. He is clearly holding Kovalev back. I would rather see Bonk play with Kovalev.

In response to this thread, don't worry. One thing you can be sure of is that Gainey will not keep a soft, small, ineffective, defensive liability like Ribeiro around much longer. I will be even happier when Ribs leaves than I was when Theo left.
1 defensive mistake and you're ready to feed him to the dogs. I strictly remember 2 bad defensive plays by Kovalev that lead to goals vs Pittsburgh (Don't even make me count them vs Carolina...). Did anyone mention those? No of course not, cuz he's our only superstar and you people are all over him.

Old
03-22-2006, 01:21 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Please don't compare Ribeiro and Koivu. They're as unlike as can be except for their both being playmakers rather than snipers. If a video camera followed them both and the images of their skate marks were digitized, we'd see that Koivu covers ice in every zone more completely than Ribeiro and gets more involved in fighting for the puck. He's certainly more compatible with Kovalev than Ribeiro is.
If you are refering to me, I would never compare the two. Koivu will and always will be a better player than Ribs. Unfortunately, right now Koivu is really not getting any results, whether that is because of the wingers he plays with or not. As for Koivu being more compatible with Kovalev than Ribs...generally I would say yes without hesitation but recently, I don't know. Koivu who we all stated as being able to adapt to anyone and get anyone to produce isn't really producing. Of course this could just be the case of Ryder and Higgins slumping really bad... In any case, if Koivu can't get them to produce, who will? Ribs? Pleky? If your best C can't get them to do a thing, I can't see anyone else doing better... And if that is the case, getting Koivu and Kovalev matched up will only be a lateral move...
Still, we need a 1st line to produce so I wouldn't mind seeing the 2 K's matched up again and give Ribs at least one of the slumping wingers and pray to god that would get Koivu going again. You know the team isn't doing that well when Ribs is tied for 3rd on the team for goals with Koivu and Zednik.

Old
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by habcat
He's playing better than Koivu!!!!!
Uhh, no he isn't. But he is playing with Kovalev instead of Ryder and that has made him look a lot better.

Both Ryder and Ribeiro are one dimensional players. Having them on the same line is a disaster. Gainey did the right thing by putting each one of them with an all-around player. It makes the lines more even but the problem is we now have two lines that, on average, have second line talent and no #1 line that strikes fear into the hearts of the opposition.

I don't know what the solution is... or if there is one this year. We will have to struggle through the balance of this season, the re-evaluate and try to fill some holes over the summer.

Old
03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Kovalev was the high-man in the offensive zone. Ribeiro hustled back on the backcheck, Kovalev floated back into the defensive zone and was Montreal's last player back. One of the main reasons for the break-down defensively is because Grebeshkov pinched in on the right side due to the fact that Kovalev was still in the neutral zone.

Dandenault went over to play Grebeshkov and rub him out along the boards, leaving Satan wide open in the slot.

Kovalev at that point should have been supporting Dandenault; Zednik was standing in between Bergenheim (puck carrier, behind the net) and Grebeshkov's defensive partner. Kovalev was covering nothing. He needed to be covering Satan since Dandenault had done Kovalev's job (taking care of Grebeshkov deep).

You're absolutely right in stating that Ribeiro was an observer on the play, but to ignore Kovalev's part in that break-down is looking at the play simplistically.

You are also neglecting numerous plays where Ribeiro was sound defensively. He was generally good in transition and neutral-zone play in forcing turnovers, while rarely coughing up the puck. Kovalev, on the other hand, did cough the puck up several times. Bulis also has had a penchant lately for giving the puck up in the neutral zone for quick transition chances for the opposition.

Old
03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Cariboux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Yeah but right now, the quality/salary is in favor of Mike. Saku sucks right now and some of his blind fans continue to hate the other players before looking at Koivu. He's brutal since he signed is contract... With a no-trade clause and 4.75 M he can do what he wants

Old
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

What`s with the Ribeiro haters in these forums? Jesus Christ it has gotten ridiculous. It always seems like people hate Ribs because there`s a real discontent toward Saku from other posters. It doesn`t mean because people feel that Saku plays bad that they like Ribs and wants him to take his spot. Ribeiro to me is unimportant guy that will never be a top star. Getting on his case is like whinning about Bonk not scoring goals. It`s pointless.

Old
03-22-2006, 06:21 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota
What`s with the Ribeiro haters in these forums? Jesus Christ it has gotten ridiculous. It always seems like people hate Ribs because there`s a real discontent toward Saku from other posters. It doesn`t mean because people feel that Saku plays bad that they like Ribs and wants him to take his spot. Ribeiro to me is unimportant guy that will never be a top star. Getting on his case is like whinning about Bonk not scoring goals. It`s pointless.
Two years ago peoples of the 110 % show started to talk as Ribeiro was the star of the team .They also showed that they weren't high about Saku . The RDS reporters were also amplifiying the merit of every moves Ribeiro was making .

Because of that , the bigest fans of Saku turn completly frustrated and start to talk about '' conspiration , brainwashing and propaganda againts Saku . '' They also start to use the words '' God '' or '' hero '' when the were talking about Koivu and start to bash Ribeiro for any kind of reasons .

Now they have a kind of religious secte where they are praying for the death of Ribeiro , and for the resurection of the '' Koivu before his famous knee injury ''. i suspect them to make sacrifice by killing goats with hockey sticks and skate blades . And a friend of mine tell me that there are rumours that an old journalist from a english media reads devil incantations in latin , because they want him to gives supernatural skills to koivu . That way , he would be able to be the best player of the entire league .

Closed Thread