HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Please sit Comrie out for the entire year

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 05:50 AM
WFHACommish

vCash: 500
Please sit Comrie out for the entire year

If I were Kevin Lowe, I would have Comrie sit out and not move him till draft day. This is the fact that if he does get signed, it will take some time for him to adjust from Golden Bears Hockey to the NHL level. Therefore, his productions will go down and he will struggle. Kinda like what happened with Weight with his contract dispute a few years back. Then fans will turn up the "Comrie bashing" even more, making a horrible distraction for a team that will be fighting for 7-8th spot. It will be a huge soap opera for a young team and frankly, I don't think the team would be able to perform at its peak with this distraction. I'd only imagine this to be ten times worse than what happened with Arnott.

I'd say do what OTT did and trade or package Comrie to get Ovechkin.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:27 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
If I were Kevin Lowe, I would have Comrie sit out and not move him till draft day. This is the fact that if he does get signed, it will take some time for him to adjust from Golden Bears Hockey to the NHL level. Therefore, his productions will go down and he will struggle. Kinda like what happened with Weight with his contract dispute a few years back. Then fans will turn up the "Comrie bashing" even more, making a horrible distraction for a team that will be fighting for 7-8th spot. It will be a huge soap opera for a young team and frankly, I don't think the team would be able to perform at its peak with this distraction. I'd only imagine this to be ten times worse than what happened with Arnott.

I have talked about this course of action a ka-billion times, but from what I have herd, people don't seem overly interested in waiting. What I proposed to get OVechkin was:

Comrie
first
Chimera
Lynch
for
first

So really we'd get Ovechkind and the other team would get a great deal of help now for a pick downgrade. I dunno. I'd be happy with it.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish

Can`t say I disagree with letting Comrie sit a long time but you can forget Ovechkin. Intended or not, you are over-evaluating Mike Comrie`s value. Everyone does this with their players(I do it with the Habs). Outside Edmonton, nobody is getting excited about a small cherry picker who`s had everything handed to him his whole life and whines at every contract. Nobody is paying just to see Mike Comrie play. They will with Ovechkin.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant
Can`t say I disagree with letting Comrie sit a long time but you can forget Ovechkin. Intended or not, you are over-evaluating Mike Comrie`s value. Everyone does this with their players(I do it with the Habs). Outside Edmonton, nobody is getting excited about a small cherry picker who`s had everything handed to him his whole life and whines at every contract. Nobody is paying just to see Mike Comrie play. They will with Ovechkin.
We aren't talking about a Comrie for Ovechkin trade. It'd be Comrie for the pick upgrade + other stuff that has been mentioned. We are not at all over-rating Comrie as he has scored the second most of any player his age (behind Havlat). Comrie, Lynch, Chimera for a pick upgrade would REALLY get the attention of the team with the first overall pick.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Digger12

In order to trade for Ovechkin you'd have to drastically overpay, like when the Flyers traded for Lindros. At the end of the day, who won more Cups?

This guy has been described as Ilya Kovalchuk without the hotdogging and ego...who WOULDN'T want that?

Screw Comrie, the team that drafts Ovechkin would want something like Smyth AND Hemsky for starters, he's that good.

Closed Thread