HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

25-27, who do we pick?

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2006, 07:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
David Fischer

Quote:
David Fischer of Apple Valley was named Sunday as the recipient of the 22nd annual Mr. Hockey Award, given to the outstanding senior boys high school hockey player in Minnesota
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/14083721.htm

Attending the University of Minnesota in the fall

Apple Valley High School-6-3 185

McKeen's #23

If he adds 30 pounds,could become the full package

Old
03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
True Blue

I think that it is important to remember that the Rangers seem to be picking a particular profile with their picks, regardless of where that pick is. It seems that the profile ha become more important that a particular skill set. That profile seems to be character & hard work. Their recent picks suggest that those seem to be the two most important traits.
With that in mind, it is important to remember that those traits seem to be the premominant factor when it is time to think of who they can draft, along with who will possibly fall that far. That is why I named Jamie McGinn & Ryan Hillier, as those two seem to have the traits that the Rangers have looked for in the recend drafts.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:26 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
I would not be suprised at all if the Rangers made an attempt to move into position to get Jordan Staal, since we have Marc already. I could see something like our 1st rounder, Montoya and a bit more, hopefully not Dawes, going to the other team for the pick. However, I think that IF Jordan Staal somehow manages to fall out of the top 5, which I doubt, then we will go even harder and really try to get him. If he's in the top 5 though, chances are we ask about him, they say no and that's it, it's tough to pry a top 5 away. I think that if we keep our pick (25-27 or so presumably) we go for a big, physical defensman with a bit of offense. We have a ton of good forwards in the system, and 2 good young goalies (Montoya and Henke) but we lack on D, aside from the probablity of Sauer and Toots. Pock I like but I don't know how great he'll be.
Some folks think trading Montoya at this point in time is akin to trading Marc Staal for Cairns. I've never seen Staal's younger brother, only read about him, so I have no idea if I would do the deal either.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Some folks think trading Montoya at this point in time is akin to trading Marc Staal for Cairns.
Come on. That is not the case and you know it.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:56 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Come on. That is not the case and you know it.
We've been through this quite a bit and it is clear that a few posters do not want to deal Montoya now because they feel we cannot get equal value at this time. When another poster raised the possibility of trading Montoya I merely told him that other posters are dead set against trading him now. That is the exact case.

Old
03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

I think we are most likely to pick between 22 and 24 if you check the standings.

Old
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Well just a side note, but Baranka just broke his hand. I know its probably not career threatening or anything like that, but still, small nagging injuries can be a real problem sometimes, which furthers my point on why I would draft a defensman, for insurance if nothing else.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

trade Montoya as soon as possible...his ceiling is probably the highest it will ever be, and in a way I'm glad he hasn't been called up yet because that way he will be valued by virtue of his gaudy CCHA/AHL stats.

I know a lot of you guys are high on him, but I never really was. I always felt that goalies should'nt be top-10 picks, and sans for the few exceptions like Luongo, I thik you have an excellent chance of drafting a franchise goalie in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Anyway, I don't think it makes sense to trade Montoya and a package for another high draft pick. If you trade a highly-touted goalie like Montoya, you get young, proven NHL talent in return. Teams do it all the time, and I want to see Sather start doing it. He's made great trades in acquiring 30-something veterans.....now I want to see him land 25-something studs who need a new address.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:35 AM
eco's bones

Somehow I don't think the Rangers brass are waiting to get the okay from all of us on HF for them to trade Montoya. They'll do what they want to do. But trading him would be a huge gamble and would leave the entire organization vulnerable at the most critical position. That is one reason why I would not deal Montoya. We'd have no long term insurance in goal. Now I don't think it's beyond reason that Henrik becomes a superstar--however things can go wrong. As for Montoya's actual value he's had an up and down season but overall it's been a very good rookie season. He's a former No. 6 overall and he's continued to develop and make progress. Whether he unseats Weekes in training camp (if he's still with us) I don't know but I think he has a shot. As for Staal's brother--why him? Why not Toews? A previous thread alluded to Toews being the player the Rangers liked the most. To me part of this is driven purely for sentimental reasons. Let's get all the Staal brothers. Part of it makes sense in that we don't have an elite center prospect but between having an elite center prospect and no depth in goal or some depth in goal and a couple pretty good center prospects (Immonen, Dubinsky) I'd keep what we have.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:36 AM
The Dawg*

worry about this year

Old
03-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that it is important to remember that the Rangers seem to be picking a particular profile with their picks, regardless of where that pick is. It seems that the profile ha become more important that a particular skill set. That profile seems to be character & hard work. Their recent picks suggest that those seem to be the two most important traits.
I would actually be suprised if we moved up to the top 6-7 because of this. Making a trade like that would cost allot, probably two 2nd rounders and our 1st. In players a couple of prospects like Baranka/Dawes and our 1st, probably.

The conditions for a trade like that is that one of Bäckström/Towes/Mueller/Staal fit our profile, (if we are looking for a F) and that we finds a team that wants to move their pick, and the one player we do like is available when the team thats wants to move their pick, picks. Allot of factors have to be there.

Also, the last 2-3 seasons the brass have been really high on low ranked players like Tyutin, Sauer and Korpikoski. Doesn't seem impossible that the same scouts could dig out someone they like around 25, possibly moving up 5-10 spots.

Closed Thread