HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby for this?

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2006, 02:13 PM
in the hall

vCash: 500
I'm not talking about switching places with Pittsburgh (prospects all) I mean the chance at getting Crosby over what we're experiencing now

Old
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I'd gladly give Pitts our playoff spot for Sidney Crosby.
Me too.

Old
03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
BigE

Crosby would look nice centering Prucha and Rucinsky.

Old
03-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbushe21
yah i was very pissed off at the shady draft selection. it was worst than the patrick ewing theory.
I can't think of any other reason to hold the (cough) random (cough) portion of the lottery in secret. I still believe this was a case of Bettman "engineering" the draft to favor Pittsburgh (to bolster that wobbly market) and shove NYR back as much as statistically feasible so as to punish Dolan.

The odds were 75% that NYR would have a top 15 pick with three ping pong balls.

Old
03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Davisian

Not sure I understand the question either, but Crosby for a shot at the Atlantic and playoff position?

Oh HELL no..

Chances like tis don't come around, no matter which young phenom is on the team..

Old
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
I can't think of any other reason to hold the (cough) random (cough) portion of the lottery in secret. I still believe this was a case of Bettman "engineering" the draft to favor Pittsburgh (to bolster that wobbly market) and shove NYR back as much as statistically feasible so as to punish Dolan.

Staal may not be a terrible consolation prize.Not saying I WOULDN'T love having Sid the kid, but playoffs are usually won based on goal tending and defense.

Old
03-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Sicilian

having a salary cap really means that amassing #1 picks isn't a guarantee. what happens down the road (assuming all of these picks pan out) when crosby, malkin, fleury, and kessel (?), are all studs demanding the max salary. the pens would approach the cap with four players.

the draft is where it all begins, but there are so many other factors needed to build a consistent winner in a salary cap era. one is free agent signings, something pittsburgh doesn't quite have the hang of yet, it would seem. reminds me of us the past seven years, except we didn't get the great picks.

Old
03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Not sure I understand the question either, but Crosby for a shot at the Atlantic and playoff position?

Oh HELL no..

Chances like tis don't come around, no matter which young phenom is on the team..
I see it the exact opposite. Chances to get a young phenom on the team don't come around..

Old
03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent

75% is no where near guaranteed. coming in 16th, while disappointing, was not unheard of given how relatively even the odds were for everyone.

let's bear in mind that most fans of other teams were crying fowl against US before the lottery, saying we would definitely be rigged to the top to boost hockey in the largest market. sometimes you have to ditch conspiracy theories in favor of mathematical truths.

everyone had a chance, pittsburgh got it, end of story.

and to be honest, i'm not upset with our pick that year at all. crosby would have been nice, but i still think we got a very nice piece to our puzzle in staal.

Old
03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I think the new NHL is where good management and player personnel people come in handy.

You have to maximize assets, develop players and build a working team. They key is not spending too much money on any one player and instead building a functioning unit.

I think over the next few years there are going to be a lot of teams who suddenly go ga-ga over a player who becomes available only to find that they invested far too much resource in him and now can't build the rest of the team.

I believe we haven't seen the drop off yet in star salaries because teams are so paranoid about losing a star that they lose sight of the team.

At teams learn to find the balance, salaries will in turn drop. The problem in sports is that everyone gets star-struck and loses sight that it's a whole team that makes a winner. So they overpay for superstars and its usually the team that functions best as a whole that ends up winning the championships.

Old
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Personally, I find it hard to give up a season like this for a crosby. I mean, he is a centerpiece to build around, but how long has it been since us rangers fans have been so excited about a season? Now we're watching and going to games like they all matter, and the energy and excitement at the garden is electric right now. I would have a hard time giving all of it up.

But for Ovechin...

Old
03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
No way would I give up this for Crosby.

Just not worth it, cos at the end of the day, he could have a career ending injury at any time, so whats the point giving up this for ONE player.

So each and every time, I'll take this season we're having. Added to the fact we've done this, with a couple standout rookies of our own - so we get best of both worlds

Old
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
bathgate

Edge makes a great point. Look at the Patriots in the NFL. No superstars,but a great team that wins it all. Jagr has to be the biggest bargain this year. A superstar for a relatively cheap price.Perhaps Sather learned from the NFL CAP EXPERIENCE

Old
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
Edge makes a great point. Look at the Patriots in the NFL. No superstars,but a great team that wins it all. Jagr has to be the biggest bargain this year. A superstar for a relatively cheap price.Perhaps Sather learned from the NFL CAP EXPERIENCE
The Patriots in the NFL, the Devils in the NHL, heck the backbone of the Yankees Dynasty was built around team's that were more than the sum of their parts.

I think the Rangers have taken that approach in their drafting as well. All are good systems guys.

The only regret I do have is that they didn't draft Getzlaf. With what they have in the system, I just can't help but think it would've been the cherry on the sunday.

Old
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I dont know, Crosby is a great player, no one denies that, but I really don't think he would fit with this team. IMHO, I feel that he is...well, a whiney ****** really. Hes great, but he crys and complains, and I also think he's a crazy egomaniac. He obviously isn't the savior of Pittsburgh that people were expecting, so I have mixed thoughts. Having the greatest talent doesn't mean everything. The Rangers of 2003-2004 probably had one of the best talents ever assembled on paper. Look at the players we had that year and their past accolades! Kovalev, Jagr, Leetch, Anson Carter for a while, Lindros, Holik, jesus the list goes on. Now we are a very mildly talented team aside from Jagr, but have arguably the best chemistry in the NHL, not to mention of bunch of hungry kids who didn't have the NHL handed to them on a spoon and had to win their jobs. Prucha was what, a 9th round pick? Lundqvist a 7th? Crosby was predicted to be the top pick in this draft since he was 14, and the fact of the matter is, I dont know how much of a team player he is. I'd MUCH rather take Ovechkin, now that guy is sure one hell of a force and I don't think he'd be a threat to team chemistry. Not to stir up any Crosby-Ovechkin debates or anything

Old
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
He obviously isn't the savior of Pittsburgh that people were expecting.
that speaks more of peoples expectations than it does of crosby. this guy can't order his own beer, i would say his legacy is yet unwritten.

Old
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Im not taking anything away from Crosby himself, but I mean people's perceptions that the guy is Jesus reincarnated is a tad scewed. This being the reason why I am hesitant to take Crosby and screw with chemistry. Hes a rock-star with his own like entourage and a posse, I just don't know if we need anymore personalities like that.

Old
03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
He obviously isn't the savior of Pittsburgh that people were expecting, so I have mixed thoughts. Having the greatest talent doesn't mean everything. The Rangers of 2003-2004 probably had one of the best talents ever assembled on paper. Look at the players we had that year and their past accolades! Kovalev, Jagr, Leetch, Anson Carter for a while, Lindros, Holik, jesus the list goes on. Now we are a very mildly talented team aside from Jagr, but have arguably the best chemistry in the NHL, not to mention of bunch of hungry kids who didn't have the NHL handed to them on a spoon and had to win their jobs. Prucha was what, a 9th round pick? Lundqvist a 7th? Crosby was predicted to be the top pick in this draft since he was 14, and the fact of the matter is, I dont know how much of a team player he is. I'd MUCH rather take Ovechkin, now that guy is sure one hell of a force and I don't think he'd be a threat to team chemistry. Not to stir up any Crosby-Ovechkin debates or anything
What makes you think Crosby isn't the "savior of Pittsburgh?" He was hyped up the same way Lemieux was hyped up. Their first year in the NHL, as 18 year olds, they put up very good rookie numbers on a godawful Pittsburgh team. After seeing how Pittsburgh was in the 90s, though, I would still say that Lemieux was their savior. So, Crosby very possibly can be, and probably will be. I don't really know how you could honestly pick Ovechkin over Crosby to be on NYR. They are both very talented players, there's no doubt about it. However, Ovechkin is an offensive player who loves to hit. I'd love to have him on the Rangers. He'd provide a lot of scoring power with him. However, Crosby is a player that doesn't come around very often. He is the kind of player you build your team around and the Rangers are rebuilding right now. That's why Crosby would have made the pieces fit so well. As much as the hype gets annoying after awhile, it IS true that he is a Gretzky/Lemieux-type player. A player like him doesn't come around often. He really does do everything. Just look at their stats:

Ovechkin has 46 g 43 a for 89 pts
Crosby has 31g 45 a for 76 pts

Ovechkin played his last 2 or 3 years in the Russian Elite League which is a professional league. Last year, the league was filled with NHL players. He's 20 years old.

Crosby is 18 years old. He's never played in a professional league before.

When you have an 18 year old scoring being in the top 10 in pts in the league, you know you have something special. As much as I hate the signs of immaturity that Crosby shows (he should grow out of it by next year) and his occasional dirty play, you can't deny the type of player he is and the player he is going to be. I don't even like Crosby very much at all and even I'll admit the sheer talent and potential he has.

Old
03-24-2006, 09:04 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Nice Crosby Highlight Video

http://216.86.150.60/videos/0/448207_f97bb.wmv

Having Crosby would be awesome obviously even though I think he is a whiny punk, but at a cost of our playoff spot? I wouldn't trade it. Getting over the hump of no playoffs for almost a decade is HUGE. Not only is it a crowning acheivement for those of us who supported this franchise for all this time through the bad years, but it's a huge jump start to our rebuilding. It eliminates the that atmosphere of losing that has surrounded this franchise for so long, even if it is only for this season (which I doubt). If this team had faltered, the core (jagr) might lose that drive come the following seasons. I think our playoff berth this year will ensure the players will come back next year and work just as hard if not harder.

Last edited by RangersFan: 03-24-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Closed Thread