HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Isles fan's perspective on the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
An Isles fan's perspective on the Habs

Habs badly outplayed the Isles last night for nearly all the game, but of course, the Rick stood on his head.

I don't know how many of you caught the Rick's on-ice intervew after the game (the Isles interview the #1 star over the PA system). He commented more than once about how balanced and fast the Habs were.

I know things are tight in the East right now, but the Habs impressed the heck out of me last night. Without a red hot goaltender, it would not have even been close.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Habsaku

A lot of people are down because the team had the chance to separate themselves from the others but didnt. That was a frouth loss in 5 nights so it really hurt our playoff chances. Now we have to face the leafs who always manage to hurt the Habs at the wrong time. It's a matter of perspective, you saw a team that dominated, we saw a team that lost.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Habs badly outplayed the Isles last night for nearly all the game, but of course, the Rick stood on his head.

I don't know how many of you caught the Rick's on-ice intervew after the game (the Isles interview the #1 star over the PA system). He commented more than once about how balanced and fast the Habs were.

I know things are tight in the East right now, but the Habs impressed the heck out of me last night. Without a red hot goaltender, it would not have even been close.
I thought the same thing but you need to understand the mindset of your average Hab fan. And good point Habsaku, the fact that we outplayed them and still lost hurts even more.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Habsruleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
A lot of people are down because the team had the chance to separate themselves from the others but didnt. That was a frouth loss in 5 nights so it really hurt our playoff chances. Now we have to face the leafs who always manage to hurt the Habs at the wrong time. It's a matter of perspective, you saw a team that dominated, we saw a team that lost.
Yep. I think we're at a point in the season where all that counts are the 2 points and we'd rather get outplayed and win then outplay the other team and lose.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:19 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
i agree . But if ever the Habs win the 2 games againts the Leafs , it could be the element that they need to build their confidence . Than , who knows ...

Old
03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
habfan4

Quote:

Timely post Darth, given the level of arm chair GMing going on around here. I think you and I (and a few others) watched the same game. I thought the Habs played a solid game and deserved a different result - C'est la vie.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i agree . But if ever the Habs win the 2 games againts the Leafs , it could be the element that they need to build their confidence . Than , who knows ...
Hey if you're optimistic, then I'll be as well! I'm always looking at the game thinking the Canadiens can win, in the next two games, we might really see what the Habs are made of. If Koivu and Kovalev dont lead this team thursday and Saturday, then i'll be extremely disapointed.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
AH

How the hell do we keep losing while we keep outplaying opponents the last week (TB, Pitt, NYI). Even the Carolina game, we hung in there until the last 8 minutes.

Where is the killer instinct ... Ahhhh the growing pains of a young team with a veteran core that has been sub-par (except Kovalev).

Old
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Timely post Darth, given the level of arm chair GMing going on around here. I think you and I (and a few others) watched the same game. I thought the Habs played a solid game and deserved a different result - C'est la vie.
I didnt see the game with too much attention, I was having dinner at a restoraunt with the screen a bit too far. But I did see the Habs with a lot of speed and I saw the forwards backcheck, I thought it was far from a pathetic effort from what I could see. I saw some pretty nice plays from a few of the forwards but like always, without Markov, we had no one to distribute the puck.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
NewGuy

I think Bob Gainey said it best:

"Most of my evaluations of games at this point are results," Gainey said. "We don't have the luxury of being far enough ahead in the playoff race to be able to find positives when we don't win. The results overwhelm everything else."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159564&hubname=nhl

Old
03-22-2006, 11:28 AM
AH

Quote:
A lot of the "perspective" following games has to do with the clowns on RDS. The Habs could play a piss poor game and win, but Demers will say 'Quel performance'. And then we play a game like last night, and Demers will say 'Il faut une meilleur performance que ca".

This team has bush league broadcasters. The killer for me was the other night after the Washington game. Demers mentioned that Huet has trouble with high shots on the glove side. I was like "huh ?!?!?" Huet is awesome with the glove hand. The best glove hand I have seen since I dont know when. However he has a lot of trouble on the stick side (something I picked up on 2 weeks ago). Do these guys even pay attention? How the hell did this guy ever get to the NHL, let alone win?

Old
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
A lot of the "perspective" following games has to do with the clowns on RDS. The Habs could play a piss poor game and win, but Demers will say 'Quel performance'. And then we play a game like last night, and Demers will say 'Il faut une meilleur performance que ca".

This team has bush league broadcasters. The killer for me was the other night after the Washington game. Demers mentioned that Huet has trouble with high shots on the glove side. I was like "huh ?!?!?" Huet is awesome with the glove hand. The best glove hand I have seen since I dont know when. However he has a lot of trouble on the stick side (something I picked up on 2 weeks ago). Do these guys even pay attention? How the hell did this guy ever get to the NHL, let alone win?
Steve Yzerman and Patrick Roy

Old
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I didnt see the game with too much attention, I was having dinner at a restoraunt with the screen a bit too far. But I did see the Habs with a lot of speed and I saw the forwards backcheck, I thought it was far from a pathetic effort from what I could see. I saw some pretty nice plays from a few of the forwards but like always, without Markov, we had no one to distribute the puck.
I think some credit is due to the Isles. Their D broke up a lot of cross ice plays (the back door plays where Koivu or Ribs feed Ryder and Kovalev) and they all but eliminated second chances. Their forwards collapsed and supported the D and were quick to transition the puck up ice to get the Canadiens D on their heels. I also felt that Di Pietro played a strong game.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

I usually drown out the commentary with my screaming and ranting so it generally doesn't bother me. Win or Lose, I skip the RDS post-mortem of the game which is I find pointless.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Matrix

To be real honest, I really don't think we were that bad yesterday, and DiPietro did have an amazing game.

Come on now, do you imagine Snow in net, it would not have been close at all....

We didn't finish but who does nowadays for us??? Since we can't finish, we have to start beginning for once.

Gainey should tell the guys that they should play the first 5 minutes of the game like it was the last 5, maybe we could see things differently.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:35 AM
deandebean

I have to disagree. The Habs did carry the play a lot. But most of the shots came from bad angle or far away, without any screening from the forwards.

The Habs are a perfect euro team: all in peripheral play, none in crashing the net.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Matrix

Quote:
I think some credit is due to the Isles. Their D broke up a lot of cross ice plays (the back door plays where Koivu or Ribs feed Ryder and Kovalev) and they all but eliminated second chances. Their forwards collapsed and supported the D and were quick to transition the puck up ice to get the Canadiens D on their heels. I also felt that Di Pietro played a strong game.
Was pretty impressed by their D as well. I don't know if it was me, but I really thought that Bouchard and Martinek played a pretty good game for them.

Old
03-22-2006, 11:47 AM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
How the hell do we keep losing while we keep outplaying opponents the last week (TB, Pitt, NYI). Even the Carolina game, we hung in there until the last 8 minutes.

Where is the killer instinct ... Ahhhh the growing pains of a young team with a veteran core that has been sub-par (except Kovalev).

Killer insticnt don't matter none when you run into a goalie playing like Dipietro did last night. And by the by, Aebischer single handedly lost that Pittsburgh game.

The team is working well, they just can't get down on themselves. The games against Toronto (like I need to say it) are huge.

Kingjarl

Old
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

You have to take it for what it's worth but I after the Carolina game a player from the Canes commented that they had to play one of their fastest game to beat us.
So it's still always nice to hear.

That Parrish /Sopel trade looks more and more like a steal for you guys.

Old
03-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quite a few players have to rise to the occasion, not just Koivu and Kovalev. Too many of them are missing opportunities.

Old
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
I have to disagree. The Habs did carry the play a lot. But most of the shots came from bad angle or far away, without any screening from the forwards.

The Habs are a perfect euro team: all in peripheral play, none in crashing the net.
Agree 100%

We could definately use a player who isn't afraid to stand in front of the goalie to make his life miserable. Strangely enough, I only remember Ribeiro doing this last night and he took a couple of whacks from Dipietro and then didn't seem to go back as much. I was hoping Dipietro would draw a penalty considering the ref was right next to him but apparently the ref didn't seem to mind so much.

But when a goalie is hot, you have to find ways to obstruct his view. Just firing randomly from all angles isn't the answer.

Old
03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
We are simply frustrated because as a young team, we cant finish teams off.

We cant win the games that would send us over the teams that still have hope.

Mar 7 2006, Tue AWAY Maple Leafs We win, they are out. That's what was said...

Mar 13 2006, Mon HOME Lightning We win, we pass them in the standings, very valuable game.

Mar 21 2006, Tue AWAY Islanders We win and we finish them out.

Those 3 games were lost. And The next 2 games will decided if it was just a lack of timely goals, or the team been exhausted (well it was obvious against the Leafs) OR a lack of killer instinct that could very well be a problem for the team to makes the playoffs.

But i'll agree it wasnt a BAD game. They were alright and shoot the puck a lot. Problem is, they can be much faster (1st period against the Canes was... insane), and looking at this team not really giving it all (even if it should have been enough to win) stress the hell out of me.

Old
03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
MissCanuck

Can't score worth crap. Can't win if you don't score. I remain optimistic but damn is it ever frustrating seeing most guys' shot selection. Right AT the goalie or right into an opposing player.

Old
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Alouette_19

I'm sorry but I think the Habs were awful yesterday...

After the second goal of the Islanders the team woke up and played the rest of the period with more intensity. That's OK in November but not in March when the team is on a race for the playoffs....They should give everything they have right now.....

The problem yesterday was not that Markov and Bouillon were not there, the problem were the offence not helping Huet AGAIN. For win you need the 2 first line to put points on the board in the last game it wasn't the case.

Old
03-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

The problem with Montreal fans is that they are HABS fans, not hockey.

Whenever they lose, they flip.

Last nights game was not horrid, they just couldnt score. I dont know what people expect from a decent team. We are not champs.

Closed Thread