HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Roster Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
  #1
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Playoff Roster Discussion

Does anyone know what happens to playes who would normally have to be placed on waivers to be sent dwon if they are NOt included on the playoff roster? Do other teams get a shot at them? If not including a player on the playoff roster would casue nashville to potentially lose that player, I expect Weber, Suitor and Upshah to be sent back down IF Walker, Yanic, Markov etal. are moved off the IR list. My reasoning is this... Upshaw rather than Tootoo because we have only four RW including Tootoo. Suitor and Weber simply because everyone else on the d-corps would have to be placed on waivers.

Otherwise my preference would be to not include Fiddler, Markov, and Eaton on the playoff roster. I know others are less valuable (Johnson). I know others are preceived to be a puck hogs (Erat). I know some of you think others have not lived up to their expectations (Leggy, Erat). I know some of you think others have too many give-aways in the D-zone (Z-man, Eaton, Hammer). I know some of you don't think others play their size (Hall, Harts). I'll leave you with these thoughts. Remember Tootoo during the 2003-2004 season. He was nothing more than a get under your skin sort of player. He returned to Milwaukee during the lock-out year (2004-2005) and did not progress as the team had hoped thus he was sent back down the beginning of the 2005-2006 season. Look what he's accomplished since he was brought back just recently. All these guys who have never lived up to expectations (Erat, Leggy, Harts, Hall, Hammer, Z-man,Eaton) we expected to contribute right away. They have learned their trade the hard way...OJT at the highest levels of hockey. Don't they deserve to be carried just a while longer?

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 04:09 PM
  #2
Bad Karma
Registered User
 
Bad Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
I would expect to see Weber, Suter, Markov take turns being scratched, Physicality is a must in the playoffs sending Weber down would be a mistake. Tootoo and Upshall will get tickets back to Milwaukee.

Bad Karma is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
  #3
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93
I would expect to see Weber, Suter, Markov take turns being scratched, Physicality is a must in the playoffs sending Weber down would be a mistake. Tootoo and Upshall will get tickets back to Milwaukee.
Disagree.

Markov is in the lineup, period. Eaton and Suter will likely ride the bench in favor of Weber whose physicality makes up for the mistakes he makes.

Tootoo has likely earned a spot on the team. The addition of him in the lineup has unmistakeable results. As for Upshall, he is more deserving of a spot than Erat, could probably be just as effective as Nichol alongside Harts on the fourth line, and may provide exactly what Scott Walker brings when healthy......but he will likely be the odd man out until someone gets hurt (which is going to happen).

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 04:16 PM
  #4
jstreet
Burrows Has Class*
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: * Not Really
Country: United States
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Disagree.

Markov is in the lineup, period. Eaton and Suter will likely ride the bench in favor of Weber whose physicality makes up for the mistakes he makes.

Tootoo has likely earned a spot on the team. The addition of him in the lineup has unmistakeable results. As for Upshall, he is more deserving of a spot than Erat, could probably be just as effective as Nichol alongside Harts on the fourth line, and may provide exactly what Scott Walker brings when healthy......but he will likely be the odd man out until someone gets hurt (which is going to happen).

Nichol has shown us some great things over the past 2 games, but Id just much rather see Upshall in the lineup.

jstreet is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
  #5
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,413
vCash: 500
my guess:

Kariya Perreault Erat
Sullivan Legwand Walker
Sillinger Johnson Hall
Hartnell Nichol Hordichuk

Timonen-Witt
Markov-Hamhuis
Weber-Zidlicky

I'd LIKE

Kariya Perreault Tootoo
Sullivan Legwand Walker
Sillinger Upshall Hall
Hartnell Smithson Hordichuk

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 05:33 PM
  #6
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Again....Does anyone know what happens to playes who would normally have to be placed on waivers to be sent dwon if they are NOt included on the playoff roster? Do other teams get a shot at them? This question is crucial to what the team will do. Until we know the answer to this, all your conjecture is mearly so much froo-faw!
ENOCH...Upshall, he is more deserving of a spot than Erat? LOL LOL you've got to kidding! A man has a carrier year (16 goals and 24 assists) and you say some johhny com lately AHL'er is more deserving of a spot on the team? Hummm...can't say as I see the reasoning behind that one.


Last edited by muddycreek*: 03-21-2006 at 05:39 PM.
muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
  #7
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Again....Does anyone know what happens to playes who would normally have to be placed on waivers to be sent dwon if they are NOt included on the playoff roster? Do other teams get a shot at them? This question is crucial to what the team will do. Until we know the answer to this, all your conjecture is mearly so much froo-faw!
ENOCH...Upshall, he is more deserving of a spot than Erat? LOL LOL you've got to kidding! A man has a carrier year (16 goals and 24 assists) and you say some johhny com lately AHL'er is more deserving of a spot on the team? Hummm...can't say as I see the reasoning behind that one.

because numbers and experience aren't everything.

upshall grinds it out, makes plays, works his tail off.

erat floats around, skating figure 8s and being mostly useless in any situation that's not an odd-man rush.

I don't think it's that tough to see, really.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 06:22 PM
  #8
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
because numbers and experience aren't everything.

upshall grinds it out, makes plays, works his tail off.

erat floats around, skating figure 8s and being mostly useless in any situation that's not an odd-man rush.

I don't think it's that tough to see, really.
While I agree that Upshall is every bit as deserving of a roster spot, I think you are exaggerating Erat's uselessness for effect. I thought he played quite strong against Calgary and used his body really well to create plays along the boards and keep the puck alive.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
  #9
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
While I agree that Upshall is every bit as deserving of a roster spot, I think you are exaggerating Erat's uselessness for effect. I thought he played quite strong against Calgary and used his body really well to create plays along the boards and keep the puck alive.

Well, I didn't see that game, so I can't comment...but I can comment on his overall play this year.

Can you honestly say he's improved the puckhogging\taking himself out of the play..since last year? He's exactly where he was at this time in 04, which...at the time...gave me hope, but now, two years later, has me feeling a little discouraged.

Call me crazy, but I don't see him on this team next year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
  #10
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
I don't think he'll be around next year BUT I also don't think he'll be dropped from the playoff roster in favor of Upshaw. Erat is puck handler for sure BUT he does not seem to know what to do with it when he gets into the offensive zone. Normally he skates in behind the net, exits from the oposite side and either loses the puck, takes a shot from a serer angle (not very often), or cycles the puck back behind the net. I like the fact that he normally draws tow opponents when he;s handling along the side and around the back BUT no one seems to get set up for a pass or anything. I really don't understand how someoen can draw two defenders and NOT leave someone on your own team open for a pass/one-timer?

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
  #11
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
I don't think he'll be around next year BUT I also don't think he'll be dropped from the playoff roster in favor of Upshaw. Erat is puck handler for sure BUT he does not seem to know what to do with it when he gets into the offensive zone. Normally he skates in behind the net, exits from the oposite side and either loses the puck, takes a shot from a serer angle (not very often), or cycles the puck back behind the net. I like the fact that he normally draws tow opponents when he;s handling along the side and around the back BUT no one seems to get set up for a pass or anything. I really don't understand how someoen can draw two defenders and NOT leave someone on your own team open for a pass/one-timer?
His teammate get open he just can't get a pass to him because his head is down. Not to mention the fact that Erat is one of those players that makes a move to set up another move rather than a shot or pass.

nine_inch_fang is offline  
Old
03-22-2006, 04:39 PM
  #12
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 18,913
vCash: 500
I still say one of these days someone is going to cream him skating out to the blueline with his head down like that.

triggrman is offline  
Old
03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
  #13
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
I don't think he'll be around next year BUT I also don't think he'll be dropped from the playoff roster in favor of Upshaw. Erat is puck handler for sure BUT he does not seem to know what to do with it when he gets into the offensive zone. Normally he skates in behind the net, exits from the oposite side and either loses the puck, takes a shot from a serer angle (not very often), or cycles the puck back behind the net. I like the fact that he normally draws tow opponents when he;s handling along the side and around the back BUT no one seems to get set up for a pass or anything. I really don't understand how someoen can draw two defenders and NOT leave someone on your own team open for a pass/one-timer?
Thats the thing - People are open. If he ever bothered to look up, Erat would find that the things he does with the puck not only allows him to skate around in the zone for 30-60 seconds at a time, but also allows his teammates to get wide open, often in the slot or crease area. Unfortunately, he does not do that, and while he has a lot of strengths (namely strong on the puck with terrific hands), he has some pretty clear weaknesses. I didn't say Upshall will replace Erat, I said that he is probably more deserving of the spot due to his work ethic and all around game. We would lose puck possession ability and shot strength, but we would gain a better defensive player, more grinding ability, and somone that utilizes his teammates. Erat does not utilize his teammates unless its to accept a pass....thats his biggest problem.

I don't have the answers, just opinions. I'm not going to lose sleep over Erat being in the lineup because as I have already said, he has one of the better shots and puck ability on the team. However, Upshall has had a very good year as well, and even though Trotz has benched him and sent him down continuously this year, he was deserving since camp to be on this roster and everything he has done since then has only reinforced the idea that he can excel in the NHL.

Enoch is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 08:45 AM
  #14
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
From the daily fish wrapper:
But NHL teams aren't restricted to a 23-man roster following the trade deadline, so Nashville won't need to send anyone back down to the minors.Trotz said he doesn't expect to reassign anyone for the rest of the season, meaning the Predators could soon theoretically have as many as 26 healthy players on the roster.

Thank you John Glennon. I guess you know more that many one here give you credit for!

NO ONE IS GOING DOWN!

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
  #15
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Thank you John Glennon. I guess you know more that many one here give you credit for!
I thought this was common knowledge for most. Everything changes after the deadline. Maybe I took it for granted because it's a very important aspect of EHM.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
  #16
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Does anyone know what happens to playes who would normally have to be placed on waivers to be sent dwon if they are NOt included on the playoff roster? Do other teams get a shot at them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Again....Does anyone know what happens to playes who would normally have to be placed on waivers to be sent dwon if they are NOt included on the playoff roster? Do other teams get a shot at them? This question is crucial to what the team will do.
I asked twice with no response. I also asked under the buisness of hockey on the main board and no one responded. Everyone kept yammering about whatever they wanted to yammer about. I'm about to come to the conclusion that this board is for complaining and bashing and that's it!


Last edited by muddycreek*: 03-23-2006 at 05:44 PM.
muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
  #17
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,742
vCash: 500
if a player is sent down now, that normally has to clear waivers... yes he is subject to having to clear waivers or be lost even after the trade deadline

however as per glennon in today's tennessean, he states that teams aren't subject to any roster limits after the trade deadline... so technically the preds may keep 25 or 26 on their active roster all the way up until playoffs start...

Pred303 is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:45 PM
  #18
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Then what? Do they have to clear waivers still?

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
  #19
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Then what? Do they have to clear waivers still?
I don't quite understand your question. A guy like Upshall or Tootoo still aren't wavier eligble. So, they would not have to clear waviers.

If we were to send down Smithson, he'd have to clear. But, we likely aren't going to send him down because he can remain on the active NHL roster. Because we aren't in danger of nearing the salary cap, we have no incentive to send him down.

dulzhok is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
  #20
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 18,913
vCash: 500
So basically everyone with the team will remain with the team and we'll have a lot more scratches.

triggrman is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 06:24 PM
  #21
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
however as per glennon in today's tennessean, he states that teams aren't subject to any roster limits after the trade deadline... so technically the preds may keep 25 or 26 on their active roster all the way up until playoffs start...
Your comment suggests that it changes when the playoffs start. What happens then? Or did I read too much into the statement?

lstcyr is offline  
Old
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
  #22
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,742
vCash: 500
well... normally in the past when the playoffs start teams have to submit a 25 man playoff eligible roster... guys not kept on that 25 man playoff roster had to be reassigned and if they were waiver eligible it meant they had to clear waivers prior to being sent back down to a minor league roster...

is this still the case under the new cba? beats me, but it's possible/likely it is..

we have 26 bodies right now between the active roster and the IR... if this is the case... AND everyone is healthy at season end and no one is still on the IR (a huge if of course), well then someone might have to be sent down and risked to waivers at season end ... of course that is if the person chosen is waiver eligible

but beats me anymore, that's why i didn't finish the thought

Pred303 is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 01:38 PM
  #23
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Thanks, That was my question. Does the roster stay unlimited during playoffs or does it shrink. If it shrinks, an eligable player will have to clear waivers to be sent down.

So as I understand it:
Until Playoffs roster size is limited by cap only.

At playoff we designate a 25 max roster size. If someone re-asigned is waiver eligable, he must clear waivers to be sent down.

Anyone on IR at playoff time is NOT counted as being on roster (unless they come back).


I reviewed the old CBA and it stated nothing aboiut the playoffs. It said once trade deadline was pased, a team could have an unlimited number of players on roster. I found nothing about reducing the roster to 25. Before the trade deadline, but after expansion, the maximum was 23. Pre-expansion the limit WAS 25. I guess I'll just have to be confused on this small issue.

The whole point in all these questions is to get some insight into who might not be included on the playoff roster. Based on the above, anyone who does NOT have to cleare waivers (Tootoo, Upshal, Weber, Sutor) will likely be sent down before someone who does have to clear waivers (Fiddler etc) UNLESS we're willing to give them up to waivers.

Thanks for the help guys. My faith is restored.


Last edited by muddycreek*: 03-24-2006 at 01:59 PM.
muddycreek* is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 02:19 PM
  #24
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Fiddler won't come off of IR so there is no need to worry. I believe he has a case of the Jay Moore/Stu Grimson sindrom.

nine_inch_fang is offline  
Old
03-24-2006, 02:57 PM
  #25
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Fiddler won't come off of IR so there is no need to worry. I believe he has a case of the Jay Moore/Stu Grimson sindrom.

Trotz said to expect him in the lineup tonight.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.