HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

In retrospect, aren't you glad Minnesota drafted Koivu and left us with Komisarek...

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
I think he's already got a good mean streak developed now. Every period he's delivering very solid hits, and you can see that he's looking for big hits on forwards coming down his side as well. He's just getting his timing down, which is still off a tad.

BTW, a note on Komisarek's play the last few nights: is it just me, or does he look tired? Perhaps a nagging injury. Either way, he's looking tentative out there, and not the lacking-confidence sort of reluctance.

Old
03-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Medicine Twin

I usually make a top 3 list every draft year based on where Montreal is drafting. Komisarek was my pick all along that year, then Ruutu, then Koivu. And Koivu went before Komisarek.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Kafka

My only problem is that Komisarek could have been available at the 25th spot (was expected to go around 20) while Tuommo Ruutu could have been our pick at no.6.

Old
03-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclusky
That's not what I heard, Savard wanted Koivu bad and was pretty disappointed. So disappointed that at the next draft, when the player they really wanted was still there ,a pick ahead of them, they made a lateral move with the team ahead of them to make sure they got their guy, Higgins. Anyone else hear of this?
HAHAHA... I precisely remember that moment. Minnessota was called to the stage, they phone Savard and Savard hanged the phone... waited for Minn GM to make is call, and then Savard AND Gillett had a HUGE smile on their face. They didn't look sad at all: they could pick the guy Savard wanted. During the same draft, Savard discussed with Calgary about trading up, but Edmonton picked the guy Savard wanted: Ales Hemsky.

Old
03-25-2006, 10:12 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I actually wanted Hemsky but I am glad we got Komisarek instead. I'd rather have him at this point. I thought Hemsky was going to be more of a scorer, but then again I haven't really followed him that much.

I was glad the Wild took Koivu, not a fan of the brother thing although I could change my opinion after seeing the younger Kostitsyn this year and the younger Ryder when I watch the Petes.
Hemsky is incredible. He is exactly what the Habs need a dominating force. He will be an allstar

Old
03-25-2006, 10:14 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I think he's already got a good mean streak developed now. Every period he's delivering very solid hits, and you can see that he's looking for big hits on forwards coming down his side as well. He's just getting his timing down, which is still off a tad.

BTW, a note on Komisarek's play the last few nights: is it just me, or does he look tired? Perhaps a nagging injury. Either way, he's looking tentative out there, and not the lacking-confidence sort of reluctance.
He is slowly finding his way like a Leclair Neely etc big men take time. If Lats makes it PJ Axelsonn is luncheon meat

Old
03-25-2006, 11:16 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Being in the west and living in Edmonton i have seen lil koivu play a few times, he looks ok. Don't write him off yet.

Hemsky is way ahead of Perezhogan, not even close. I see Perez... as a second line winger, and Hemsky a first liner. People forget how big Hemsky is.
Hemsky is an absolute wizard. He could lead the legue in scoring some day

Old
03-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Hemsky, Hamhuis, Ruutu we're all much better picks.

Nevermind the fact we wasted our first rounder on Kostitsyn when there was Getzlaf and Carter available.
It's hard to judge. Hamhuis was the more polished prospect. He was a safer pick, no doubt. But he doesn't have great size, and there's always that worry that a player looks better than he will be at the next level just because he's learned the game better than most of his peers. Komisarek is still learning, and even a conservative projection has him pretty close to Hamhuis' value given their respective roles.

I confess that I really wanted Ruutu, but I can just imagine the boards going bonkers over having two injury-prone Finns. It's pretty bad that a player as good as Ruutu has only played one NHL season so far. Hemsky I didn't know anything about, and frankly, as good as he is, I'd rather have the defenceman and a handful of perhaps inferior scoring prospects like Perezhogin and Kostitsyn.

The Kostitsyn pick always bugged me, although I've come around to it this year. It wasn't so much that I really wanted another particular player (apart from Phaneuf). It was more a question of style of player. But I remember not liking Getzlaf very much. I'm ready to be wrong, but I've always thought he was overrated, that he was lacking something.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:21 PM
henri2014

Komi is alrdy one of the best D-men of the 2001 draft... ok is wasnt a great draft for D-men but still im very happy with the pick, what would our blue line look like without him today?

He getting better and better and he has alrdy some playoff experience so watch out for him if we get in the playoff hes gonna be a force. Like in the series agaisnt boston where he change the series around with some bruising hit on thorton and samsonov.

I think some of the other team forward will underestimate him and will try to go around him and get hit big time during the series.

Old
03-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

At the time Komi was drafted, the Habs had Quintal, Rivet, Brisebois, Dykhuis, Traverse, Markov, Robidas, and Souray. Rivet had missed all but 26 games of the previous season because of a wrist injury. Hainsey had been drafted a year earlierbut hadn't p[layed as yet for the Habs. I thought there was a great need for a robust young Dman, and I had seen Komi on TV a few times when he played for Michigan. I noticed that opposing forwards avoided his side of the ice, and when they didn't, he belted them. He also seemed to be pretty good on the power play. I was glad that the Habs were able to draft him.

Old
03-25-2006, 02:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Hemsky, Hamhuis, Ruutu we're all much better picks.

Nevermind the fact we wasted our first rounder on Kostitsyn when there was Getzlaf and Carter available.
If Komisarek does approach Scott Stevens potential in his own end and puts up 40 pts a year like he should with his skill package and character, then I think we made out like bandits.

Ruutu is a tough one, but nobody had him projected higher or he would have gone higher. He plays like Forsberg, but I don't think he's big enough to play that way and I foresee lots of injuries. Hemsky has a nice skill set too, but only started using it recently and youhave to twist his arm to shoot the puck. I'm not 100% sold on him yet, despite his talent.

But when it comes to the playoffs, I'll take a Komisarek every time.

Getzlaf has no brain and Carter's game is limited, though he should be a 30 goal guy. Kostitsyn has a much better all-around skill set than either guy.

Both Komi and Kosty will need hte long road, but so what? Doesn't mean they aren't going to pan out.

More important, I like the STYLE that Komi plays and I wouldn't mind seeing our whole team get tough and mobile WITH skill.

Closed Thread