Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Heater15

vCash: 500
Comrie

My brother claims he read in the Edmonton Sun that they said a Comrie for Stefan and Coburn deal is likely to happen soon. I've looked for the paper but I think he has it with him so Ill get it tomorrow and report back what is written.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Voynich

The idea has been kicked around the rumor mill a bit now. The prevailing notion is that Coburn isn't going anywhere so soon after drafting him. I'd say that is a safe bet.

If we could get Comrie in some kind of deal for Stefan I'd be a big supporter of it, even if it involved our 1st round pick. Edmonton seems kind of content to let Comrie sit without a contract.

Another stumbling block is the amount Comrie would want on that contract, obviously the new owners would have to make the decision. With the way the team is playing right now, would they pull the trigger?

Old
10-27-2003, 07:28 PM
tigger

The Comrie-Edmonton stalemate is less about money, and more about respect issues. Comrie is pissed about getting called out after the Oilers' playoff loss to Dallas. Robin Brownlee's column illuminates the situation a little better:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031027/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Old
10-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15
My brother claims he read in the Edmonton Sun that they said a Comrie for Stefan and Coburn deal is likely to happen soon. I've looked for the paper but I think he has it with him so Ill get it tomorrow and report back what is written.
Full link : http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031027/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Relevant bit:

- Kevin Prendergast, the Oilers chief scout and vice-president of hockey operations, is in the U.S. on a scouting trip and he spent Saturday night watching the Portland Winterhawks beat the Prince Albert Raiders 2-0 in Oregon.

It just so happens that towering defenceman Braydon Coburn, selected eighth overall by the Thrashers in the 2003 Entry Draft, plays for Portland.

While Lowe is keeping his cards close to the vest as he attempts to trade Comrie, Atlanta remains near the top of the list of likely destinations. Coburn could prove to be a piece of that puzzle if a multi-player deal is in the works.

It's pure speculation, other than the bit about Prendergast, but it is entirely possible that he was scouting for the draft, too. On the other hand, Atlanta has been the most common team in the reasonable rumours I've been seeing on the Oilers board.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Heater15

I seriously think Comrie would be a good fit, and with Hartley - he would become and even better player. Sure having Savard and Comrie down the middle is small, but imagine him on a line with Kovalchuk - that would be deadly. As long as Exelby is kept out, I honestly dont care which young d-man is shipped. If it's Coburn, im sure we'd get a decent player/prospect/good pick.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I too love to see Comrie in Atlanta but certainly NOT at the expense of Coburn. I will be very very very unhappy if they traded Coburn before he even played a game for the thrashers. Also offense isn't exactly a big need at the moment and considering Coburn is the only D-man on our team with top 2 potential, by trading him we would be creating a major hole on D for the future. I think a Stefan + Safronov deal should be sufficient for Comrie. Also I would be happy to throw in Dafoe or Hurme as part of the package. The Oil might have some interest in Hurme or Dafoe considering that Salo is struggling.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Also offense isn't exactly a big need at the moment
Sure, it's not an issue right now...but what happens when Kovalchuk eventually cools off? Right now he's scoring nearly 40% of Atlanta's goals, no way he keeps that up all year. He's going to need offensive help, and with Heatley's uncertain future where's it going to come from?

I think a Stefan + Coburn deal would be very doable, but the Oilers would have to give up more than just Comrie, and judging by the rumours going around that's what seems to be shaping up. I guess we'll see what happens.

During the draft Lowe tried to get a higher pick in order to draft one of the 'big 3' on D (Phaneuf/Coburn/Suter), so I could definitely see Coburn being a guy he wants in any deal with Atlanta.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Voynich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
During the draft Lowe tried to get a higher pick in order to draft one of the 'big 3' on D (Phaneuf/Coburn/Suter), so I could definitely see Coburn being a guy he wants in any deal with Atlanta.
From what I've been told the pick Lowe wanted was the #8 that we had. Comrie was part of what was being offered for it. DW wanted Horcoff too and Lowe wasn't willing to do that. Of course I've also heard that it wasn't Horcoff at all but Moreau that DW wanted. So take that all at face value.

But Comrie was being shopped at the draft.

I would be very surprised to see Coburn moved right now. He is the one guy in the organization that has that #1 D-man upside.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
I too love to see Comrie in Atlanta but certainly NOT at the expense of Coburn. I will be very very very unhappy if they traded Coburn before he even played a game for the thrashers. Also offense isn't exactly a big need at the moment and considering Coburn is the only D-man on our team with top 2 potential, by trading him we would be creating a major hole on D for the future. I think a Stefan + Safronov deal should be sufficient for Comrie. Also I would be happy to throw in Dafoe or Hurme as part of the package. The Oil might have some interest in Hurme or Dafoe considering that Salo is struggling.

Honestly, when you look at our 2 teams, your team looks like the one trying to fit the peices for a cup run(yes, I know the season has just begun), and our team looks like their in rebuild mode. It would suck giving up a stud D prospect in Coburn, but look what you add, a center that will pot you 20-30 goals, put him on Kovulchuk's line and that # could rise even higher. EDM finally gets their D depth, and ATL gets a top notch scorer to head their 2nd line.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:30 AM
The Sneak

As high as Oiler fans are on Comrie he's got Lowe in a position of vulnerability. Stefan and Coburn is way too high a price right now. If Comrie was signed and playing well, the Oilers could name their price. Since he's holding out (again) why would any other GM let Lowe off the hook? Right now he's got no leverage. On the other side of the coin, the Thrashers are holding all the chips and can afford to be selective/demanding. We're playing well and no immediate need/pressure to make this move.

IF DW offered Coburn and Stefan at this point he's getting skinned

Old
11-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes Rage
As high as Oiler fans are on Comrie he's got Lowe in a position of vulnerability. Stefan and Coburn is way too high a price right now. If Comrie was signed and playing well, the Oilers could name their price. Since he's holding out (again) why would any other GM let Lowe off the hook? Right now he's got no leverage. On the other side of the coin, the Thrashers are holding all the chips and can afford to be selective/demanding. We're playing well and no immediate need/pressure to make this move.

IF DW offered Coburn and Stefan at this point he's getting skinned
Explain to me how Comrie has Lowe in a vulnerable position. Comrie is Oilers property until he is 31 years old. This means he will not be unrestricted Free agent until that time. Moreover, Comrie doesn't have any arbitration right for some time as well. This being said who is vulnerable. Comries fate is in Lowe's hands . He could keep him out of the league for 10 years if he wanted. If Comrie goes to arbitration the Oilers have the opportunity to get him for whatever the arbitrator awards - if Comrie refuses to play until then his value will be incredibly low. At any rate Kevin Lowe has all the chips, all the power, everything. Patrik Stefan is average at best and will coninue to be so for his career, Braydon Coburn is a good prospect but will not help the Oilers any time soon.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Atlanta Jim

Comrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Explain to me how Comrie has Lowe in a vulnerable position. Comrie is Oilers property until he is 31 years old. This means he will not be unrestricted Free agent until that time. Moreover, Comrie doesn't have any arbitration right for some time as well. This being said who is vulnerable. Comries fate is in Lowe's hands . He could keep him out of the league for 10 years if he wanted. If Comrie goes to arbitration the Oilers have the opportunity to get him for whatever the arbitrator awards - if Comrie refuses to play until then his value will be incredibly low. At any rate Kevin Lowe has all the chips, all the power, everything. Patrik Stefan is average at best and will coninue to be so for his career, Braydon Coburn is a good prospect but will not help the Oilers any time soon.
One reason is the fan base wants Comrie to play now or get something for him. If they struggle this year the longer that asset (comrie) sits the more crap Lowe takes. I wouldn't package Coburn for Comrie. I think if I'm going to trade a new high draft pick I'm going to package it for a more substantial product in return. Comrie is good but he's not worth TWO number one draft choices - even if Stefan hasn't fulfilled his promise - he's still 22-23. I think you could trade Stefan - Coburn and a draft pick and get much more than a guy like Comrie. Neither Comrie or Lowe has ALL the power.....I would say initially Lowe has the power with the power shifting as the season goes along.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jim
One reason is the fan base wants Comrie to play now or get something for him. If they struggle this year the longer that asset (comrie) sits the more crap Lowe takes. I wouldn't package Coburn for Comrie. I think if I'm going to trade a new high draft pick I'm going to package it for a more substantial product in return. Comrie is good but he's not worth TWO number one draft choices - even if Stefan hasn't fulfilled his promise - he's still 22-23. I think you could trade Stefan - Coburn and a draft pick and get much more than a guy like Comrie. Neither Comrie or Lowe has ALL the power.....I would say initially Lowe has the power with the power shifting as the season goes along.
He does until his team goes on a losing streak with Comrie sitting at home...This 31 yr old holding rights will never work as long as teams need players. He doesn't play. Fine. But he doesn't bring anything in return... You don't pay the guy but you don't get what he COULD bring you either: neither points nor players. So it goes both ways.

Closed Thread