HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie to Atlanta (Rumour)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 07:16 PM
nordique

vCash:
Comrie to Atlanta (Rumour)

Poster on the Atlanta board says the rumour there is that Comrie might be headed to the Thrashers for Stefan and Braydon Coburn?

Thoughts? IF this went down, would you be happy?

Old
10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Personally, I would solely because of Coburn. He's one of the best defensive prospects in the game today, and has future captain material written all over him. He can really dominate physically a la Scott Stevens, and has decent offensive skills, and has a good stride for someone his size.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:19 PM
dem

I dont like either of the players... but eh.. its probably good value.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:23 PM
FacelessButcher

Have not yet seen Coburn play (although all the scouts sound quite giddy about him) but if it was those two for just little ole Comrie I would be absolutely thrilled.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
AEKaki

I so see a player like Stefan exploding on a team like the Oilers.
Coburn is an excellent defenceman.
I think, personnaly, that the Oilers should get the long term edge in this deal, but seing that Comrie might be put on a line with Kovalchuk just scares me...

Old
10-27-2003, 07:27 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkouklos
I think, personnaly, that the Oilers should get the long term edge in this deal, but seing that Comrie might be put on a line with Kovalchuk just scares me...
Ya a regular old hair pulling bonanza
Or were u referring to the dynamic scoring potential? When Heatly gets back that would probably be one of the best lines in the league.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Digger12

I think it'd take more than just Comrie to get those two outta Atlanta...but if we COULD do it, well...I'd rather have Stefan than Lundmark anyday.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:31 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Poster on the Atlanta board says the rumour there is that Comrie might be headed to the Thrashers for Stefan and Braydon Coburn?

I wouldn't mind this deal. Stefan isn't a bust yet, though some will argue that. He is still young and maybe playing on great ice in Edmonton would do him some good. I have heard nothing but good things about Coburn too, so this deal could be a good one. Sure Comrie might get lots of points playing with Kovalchuk, but anyone would. Stefan is that Big Centreman that we could use. He's 6'2, 210lbs and is still only 23(just turned).

Old
10-27-2003, 07:32 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Ya a regular old hair pulling bonanza

Seriously, this trade would be fantastic from an Edmonton POV. I think we'd wind up adding something to get both Stefan and Coburn, but depending what we're adding, I'm in favor of it.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I think it'd take more than just Comrie to get those two outta Atlanta...but if we COULD do it, well...I'd rather have Stefan than Lundmark anyday.
I agree, Lundmark doesn't impress me much. Sure he'll probably have a fine NHL career but I think Stefan's will be much better. Just because Lundmark is a local boy everyone wants him here, well not me. I don't think he would be any better then say Torres.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique

Well, the thread I saw on the Thrashers board seems to indicate that the Edmonton Sun is the source of this information... so that's not the rumour "there".

Old
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
They'll be scary at *both* ends of the rink.

Old
10-27-2003, 07:51 PM
mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Personally, I would solely because of Coburn. He's one of the best defensive prospects in the game today, and has future captain material written all over him. He can really dominate physically a la Scott Stevens, and has decent offensive skills, and has a good stride for someone his size.
just out of curiousty sakes have you seen him play,

in my opinon and evaluation of him hes tall and thats about it, hes not that great of a skater he doesnt particulary shhot the puck hard hes not overly physical what he is is a good solid dman who just does really everything well, i think comrie for coburn and stefan would be a fiar trade, but id try like hell to get lehtonen out of there, ive also seen him play live about twenty games last year as i was living in europe due to work, hes awesome

best wishes
jb

Old
10-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Well, the thread I saw on the Thrashers board seems to indicate that the Edmonton Sun is the source of this information... so that's not the rumour "there".
From http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html :

FT. LAUDERDALE SUN-SENTINEL: Michael Russo reports of speculation Mike Comrie could be dealt to the Atlanta Thrashers, however, he correctly notes the club is having no trouble scoring thus far and doubts he'll wind up there. Russo also disputes reports of Comrie going to the Florida Panthers, citing the fact the centre is believed seeking over $4 million per season, too rich for the Panthers blood. He believes the New Jersey Devils might be a good fit.

Seems like there is some speculation elsewhere, as well. This guy sounds like a Florida Brownlee, though. He seems to be implying that his opinions are facts. The speculation seems to be real, and the absolute lack of interest sounds like it belongs to the reporter.

I wonder where he got $4 million? I don't think Comrie would even try that one.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
if ATL ppl are talking about it then there maybe something there. I would be satisfied with a Stefan and Coburn return for Comrie. Who comes out of the lineup? My pick would be Pisani an Chimera. I think a line of Isbister-Stefan-Dvorak could really scare some people. Then stick York with Smyth and Hemsky:
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Isbister-Stefan-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

Chimera would get in there for Torres and Stoll fairly regularly. I think Stefans defensive awareness would be the biggest gain for us - having him AND Reasoner would make a BIG difference.

Old
10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
cram

Quote:
I think Kovalchuck and Comrie would have to kiss and make up after the last two games they played against each other, but I guess sucks deserve each other, no?

Old
10-27-2003, 08:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
if ATL ppl are talking about it then there maybe something there. I would be satisfied with a Stefan and Coburn return for Comrie. Who comes out of the lineup? My pick would be Pisani an Chimera. I think a line of Isbister-Stefan-Dvorak could really scare some people. Then stick York with Smyth and Hemsky:
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Isbister-Stefan-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

Chimera would get in there for Torres and Stoll fairly regularly. I think Stefans defensive awareness would be the biggest gain for us - having him AND Reasoner would make a BIG difference.
HORCOFF IS NOT i repeat NOT a 1st liner...you said in your post put york with smyth and hemsky...then didnt do that in your lines?

Old
10-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Yanner39

I don't know a whole lot about Coburn but more knowledgeable posters in this forum seem to like him. As for Stefan, it's very hard to evaluate. This is a player that was highly touted and played his first few seasons on a mediocre team. That's a difficult situation to put a young kid in. On most nights, he tries to do to much and ends up not being as effective.

My only big concern is that I think he's injury prone. Maybe any of you ATL fans can clarify this.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:36 AM
Mr Sakich

I get centre ice and I was watching a game that was announced by the atlanta crew (last year). They were talking about stefan and their opinion was that he was developing into an excellent third line centre who could score a few goals. They didn't think he was going to be first or second line material. They liked his smarts and his defensive awareness.

Think a taller version of marchant. Not quite as fast but as effective. In other words, he would replace reasoner in our current line up, not comrie.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Oilhitch

Comrie

for

Stefan, Coburn.

Oh man, I would love this deal for the Oilers. IMO the Oilers win this deal today and the future. Having said that I think the Oilers would have to give up more to get these two guys from Atlanta.

I still think that if Stefan was given the chance in Edmonton he would "finally" have a breakout year.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:59 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Comrie

for

Stefan, Coburn.

Oh man, I would love this deal for the Oilers. IMO the Oilers win this deal today and the future. Having said that I think the Oilers would have to give up more to get these two guys from Atlanta.

I still think that if Stefan was given the chance in Edmonton he would "finally" have a breakout year.
Every year he is supposed to finally have a break out year... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:26 AM
WFHACommish

I personally am ambivalent about this trade. We need someone that can be relied on as the go-to-guy on this team. We have enough Isbisters and Dvoraks on this team. We already are dishing out enough chances to players to re-ignite their performances. I think we would just be diluting our rosters which already has tremendous depth. The thing that separates this team from VAN and OTT is we don't have a Bertuzzi, Hossa. A player that is a gamebreaker. That used to be Doug Weight on this team. You could count on him almost every night that he would have a solid performance.

Therefore, I would rather have Comrie sit out and try to get Ovechkin. Ovechkin has franchise player written all over him. I think if we get this kid, we are going to be closer to the cup than we ever had in the past decade or so.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:40 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
I personally am ambivalent about this trade. We need someone that can be relied on as the go-to-guy on this team. We have enough Isbisters and Dvoraks on this team. We already are dishing out enough chances to players to re-ignite their performances. I think we would just be diluting our rosters which already has tremendous depth. The thing that separates this team from VAN and OTT is we don't have a Bertuzzi, Hossa. A player that is a gamebreaker. That used to be Doug Weight on this team. You could count on him almost every night that he would have a solid performance.

Therefore, I would rather have Comrie sit out and try to get Ovechkin. Ovechkin has franchise player written all over him. I think if we get this kid, we are going to be closer to the cup than we ever had in the past decade or so.
That is a pretty big risk here... there is no guarantee that the Oilers get Ovechkin even if they finish dead last...

Nevermind the fact the fans would go ape-crap all over the place. This is not a last place hockey club, and we all know it.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:51 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That is a pretty big risk here... there is no guarantee that the Oilers get Ovechkin even if they finish dead last...

Nevermind the fact the fans would go ape-crap all over the place. This is not a last place hockey club, and we all know it.
And is Comrie worth the first pick overall? Pittsburg would probably bleed Edmonton dry in a trade (assuming Pitt finishes last)

Old
10-28-2003, 05:57 AM
jofa

Ok, I've been hearing this a lot lately and in the past, and I'm just wondering if anyone can back this up.

Whenever there's the possibility of an underperforming player coming to Edmonton (what other type of player do we go for...?), everyone talks about how they will "explode" on the fast Edmonton ice and on the attacking Edmonton system. Who exactly has "exploded" or taken their game to the next level since coming to Edmonton??? I can't remember the last person who was struggling elsewhere who came here and lit it up...

Isbister? uh, still waiting
Dvorak? was supposed to unleash his speed in edm... still 0 goals.
Reasoner? has skills, but took a long time to work into the line up and has settled into a two-way role
Hecht? supposed to light it up here... and quickly shown the door.
York? took a while to adjust to playing in edmonton, and is now performing at a similar clip as he did in NYR...
even Dopita... lots of skill and experience, but couldn't fit in Oiler system

I don't know, I guess I'm just cautioning against the familiar claim that underperforming players (like Stefan) will turn their game around as a result of coming to Edmonton. If anything, it looks like Edmonton can be a difficult place to adjust to, given the experiences of last few players to come here...

Closed Thread