HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

koivu,kovalev make front page of the journal de montréal

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2006, 09:19 AM
oli500

vCash: 500
koivu,kovalev make front page of the journal de montréal

Only in montreal do hockey players make front page for the rong reasons. ok montreal and toronto. Still I understand montreal is the meca of hockey but seriously theres more important things in life too put on a front page than struglin hockey players. If youre wondering why no stars want to come to montreal this is exactly why. I mean these morons are given the montreal canadiens organisation some bad press. Do you actualy think stars want to sign in montreal nowing there subject to making the front for all the bad reasons. NO. Agents urond the league take notice and warns theire players before signing. The most frustrating thing is that a few days ago there where a article in that very same newspaper critisizing the fans behaviour and saying that its are fault if the montreal canadiens have been given a bad name urond the league. Shame on you journal de montréal. I for one im going to let these people know.

Also in another topic I think bob gainey has the wrong attitude towards this playoffs race.

Quote:
The double header vs the leafs wont decide are faith
Bob gainey

I mean this kind of message is saying that its o.k to loose. Last time these two teams played the leafs were all on the same page saying that it was a must win game if we want to make the playoffs. Thats the type of attitude gainey should take.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Only in montreal do hockey players make front page for the rong reasons. ok montreal and toronto. Still I understand montreal is the meca of hockey but seriously theres more important things in life too put on a front page than struglin hockey players. If youre wondering why no stars want to come to montreal this is exactly why. I mean these morons are given the montreal canadiens organisation some bad press. Do you actualy think stars want to sign in montreal nowing there subject to making the front for all the bad reasons. NO. Agents urond the league take notice and warns theire players before signing. The most frustrating thing is that a few days ago there where a article in that very same newspaper critisizing the fans behaviour and saying that its are fault if the montreal canadiens have been given a bad name urond the league. Shame on you journal de montréal. I for one im going to let these people know.

Also in another topic I think bob gainey has the wrong attitude towards this playoffs race.

Bob gainey

I mean this kind of message is saying that its o.k to loose. Last time these two teams played the leafs were all on the same page saying that it was a must win game if we want to make the playoffs. Thats the type of attitude gainey should take.
I don't fault Gainey for saying that...there is still a lot of hockey left and even if we lose both games, it ain't over till it's over. Just like the Leafs were out of it 5-7 games ago, they're back in it now.

Why would Gainey saddle our hopes in a series against the Leafs, who we know play us very tough? I'll be very happy if we split these 2 games, but I can totally see us losing both.

Cap

Old
03-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Any NHL team would LOVE to have as much coverage as the Habs have in Montreal. Of course the coverage can be negative but overall it's very positive for the team.

A bit of extra pressure in the playoff race is just good.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Bob gainey

Oli,Oli,Oli. while, I applaud your passion, [I remeber when you hit a Leaf fan with a baseball, maybe the best thread ever], I don't think this is a cheapshot. The headline or front page is meant to grab your attention, sell some papers. It's not like they're claiming that anyone fathered alien babies. The story around the team this week is that they aren't scoring, with the sub story being that the players counted on for offense aren't scoring. The target market for this paper is more the reader who wants sports news or a quick look thru at lunch. If you want to sit down and read for awhile, I assume that's La Presse' market. I'm pretty sure that when Jason Giambi wasn't hitting early last year, the NY tabloids savaged him in a way we don't see here. I;m sure the Sun chain across the country makes life difficult for guys when they underperform.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:39 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Any NHL team would LOVE to have as much coverage as the Habs have in Montreal. Of course the coverage can be negative but overall it's very positive for the team.

A bit of extra pressure in the playoff race is just good.

Theres allready enough presure for the players to perform in montreal that they dont need to make front page if theire struglin. I mean in the sports section theres allready 5 pages talking about the canadiens. I really dont think puting them on front page was necessary. This is just given us a bad name come the offseason.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Tuggy

Good article with Dandenault and Gainey talking about how it's like the playoffs now and how down he was after Tuesday's loss.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...9-925ef3260634

Old
03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
habfan4

Could be worse... For my part, I'd rather the Habs be front page news than buried in the obituaries.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Good article with Dandenault and Gainey talking about how it's like the playoffs now and how down he was after Tuesday's loss.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...9-925ef3260634
Interesting read...it's nice to know Dandy felt the way I did after that loss

Cap

Old
03-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Could be worse... For my part, I'd rather the Habs be front page news than buried in the obituaries.
Or we could be last year at this time.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Theres allready enough presure for the players to perform in montreal that they dont need to make front page if theire struglin. I mean in the sports section theres allready 5 pages talking about the canadiens. I really dont think puting them on front page was necessary. This is just given us a bad name come the offseason.
Oli, the J de M isn't an advtg. supplement of the team. They comment on what they see. I don't see this as being unfair. I heard an interesting conversation about media coverage on the radio the other day.PJ Stock was on Melnick's show talking about something said on 110%. Stock new to the media side, and Melnick explained that taking shots at a player/coach/GM was part of the job. The qualifier is that if you're a pro, you have to make yourself visible and available to the guy you're taking shots at. If you write a scathing column, but avoid the rink, or the room, you're yellow. Melnick used to go after Frank Robinson on a daily basis for his poor work ethic as a manager, but he'd show up at the media scrum every day. The media, J de M isn't supposed to recruit players. They should be professional in their coverage, and I don't see a line being crossed with aheadline.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:54 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
Or we could be last year at this time.
You mean you don't have indelible memories of the Souray SEL playoff run ? Or the buildup to the world Championships ?

Old
03-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Matrix

Quote:
And then the media will try to blame the fans for booing players. Don't you think it's not a message to be on their case if things doesn't go as well as scheduled???

Raymond said this week that the fans were ''mesquin'' mean. What about that kind of front page????

Old
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Oli, the J de M isn't an advtg. supplement of the team. They comment on what they see. I don't see this as being unfair. I heard an interesting conversation about media coverage on the radio the other day.PJ Stock was on Melnick's show talking about something said on 110%. Stock new to the media side, and Melnick explained that taking shots at a player/coach/GM was part of the job. The qualifier is that if you're a pro, you have to make yourself visible and available to the guy you're taking shots at. If you write a scathing column, but avoid the rink, or the room, you're yellow. Melnick used to go after Frank Robinson on a daily basis for his poor work ethic as a manager, but he'd show up at the media scrum every day. The media, J de M isn't supposed to recruit players. They should be professional in their coverage, and I don't see a line being crossed with aheadline.
Exactly.

I don't remember the last time I bought the JdM (I buy La Presse or le JdQ) but i'll try to get it today.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I do understand the hole purpose of the J de M isen't supposed to recruit players and them being professional and all but this is my opinion and you dont have to agree with what im saying. the canadiens allready have enough coverage as it is that they really dont need this kind of press. I understand its not a cheap shot but people who follow the habs allready know that koivu and the offense is struglin. Hell I think koivu him self knows that hes struglin and dosent need to be reminded by front pages when theres allready 4 or 5 pages talking about the teams strugle. Im not saying we should stop critisizing these players, afterall there making millions of dollars playing a sports that so many people love and would love to be in theire places, what im trying to say is that this kind of press is hurting the montreal canadiens image. The journal de montréal can do what ever they want but what ticks me off is when they come out with front pages like this one and then critisize management for not being able to recruit any star players in the off season when there partly responsible for chasing these stars out of montreal. because hockey players do take notice.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
I do understand the hole purpose of the J de M isen't supposed to recruit players and them being professional and all but this is my opinion and you dont have to agree with what im saying. the canadiens allready have enough coverage as it is that they really dont need this kind of press. I understand its not a cheap shot but people who follow the habs allready know that koivu and the offense is struglin. Hell I think koivu him self knows that hes struglin and dosent need to be reminded by front pages. Im not saying we should stop critisizing these players, afterall there making millions of dollars playing a sports that so many people love and would love to be in theire places, what im trying to say is that this kind of press is hurting the montreal canadiens image. The journal de montréal can do what ever they want but what ticks me off is when they come out with front pages like this one and then critisize management for not being able to recruit any star players in the off season when there partly responsible for chasing these stars out of montreal. because hockey players do take notice.
The journalists and columnists don't even choose the title of their articles. The selection of the front page is made at a totally other level.

Also many players (Kovalev is the first to come to mind) appreciate the attention given to hockey here. It's fun for them to know that people cares. They are intelligent enough to know that you can't ask for a foul coverage when they win and no coverage when they lose.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Kovlev not producing ?
He's like on a 8th straigh game with at least one point...

Old
03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
Kovlev not producing ?
He's like on a 8th straigh game with at least one point...
And 15 of the last 17 games.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Who cares? The Journal de Montreal ranks somewhere up there with The Suburban.

Old
03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I do understand the hole purpose of the J de M isen't supposed to recruit players and them being professional and all but this is my opinion and you dont have to agree with what im saying. the canadiens allready have enough coverage as it is that they really dont need this kind of press. I understand its not a cheap shot but people who follow the habs allready know that koivu and the offense is struglin. Hell I think koivu him self knows that hes struglin and dosent need to be reminded by front pages when theres allready 4 or 5 pages talking about the teams strugle. Im not saying we should stop critisizing these players, afterall there making millions of dollars playing a sports that so many people love and would love to be in theire places, what im trying to say is that this kind of press is hurting the montreal canadiens image. The journal de montréal can do what ever they want but what ticks me off is when they come out with front pages like this one and then critisize management for not being able to recruit any star players in the off season when there partly responsible for chasing these stars out of montreal. because hockey players do take notice.
Oli, I agree that a lot of coverage is cheap. It's easy to pile on a guy when he's down. It's an easier article to write to say a guy isn't producing than to analyze why. I think the political nature of the coverage has an effect on our ability to attract ufa's at times, though actually I believe it affects home grown players more, who simply don't want the drama. I don't know that I'm right about this, taxes are a problem, there may be mis-conceptions about the city, I don't know, probably a bit of everything. I think having a stable management team, that is respected in the hockey world is crucial. That's Gainey's chief attribute at this stage.

Anyways Oli, I understand why this stuff annoys you, hell, lineups at the barbershop annoy me. 3 good games and the picture changes.

Old
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
turnbuckle*

they're big boys. If they're too thin skinned to accept criticism and media scrutiny when they're struggling, then they shouldn't be playing for the world's most distinguished hockey team anyway. It's not like Saku and alex are reading the Journal anyway.

Old
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Darz

Quote:

Quote:
The double header vs the leafs wont decide are faith

First off, I don't think Gainey is saying it is O.K. to lose. I mean, when is it EVER O.K. to lose???? I think Gainey made the statement to keep the guys from getting getting 'too up' for tonights game. You don't want to put your team in a 'must win' situation every night.

Also, if for some reason we lose tonight, you don't want the team to get into a 'we lost our must win game, I guess we should pack 'er in' mode. I mean, if you call a game a 'must win' and you lose and still have a chance was that game really a 'must win' game??????

03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
First off, I don't think Gainey is saying it is O.K. to lose. I mean, when is it EVER O.K. to lose???? I think Gainey made the statement to keep the guys from getting getting 'too up' for tonights game. You don't want to put your team in a 'must win' situation every night.
So that's why this team never shows any desire except for maybe once ever 2 weeks! Thanks for cearing that up!

Old
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
oli500

Quote:
Also, if for some reason we lose tonight, you don't want the team to get into a 'we lost our must win game, I guess we should pack 'er in' mode. I mean, if you call a game a 'must win' and you lose and still have a chance was that game really a 'must win' game??????

At this point every game should be a must win game. If we loose tonight than saturdays game well be much more important anyways so why not ''WIN'' tonight. The teams that make the stanley cup are teams that have a win everygame attitude. When bob says these two games wont determin are faith youre not installing a winning attitude. Gainey should off made it clear that all games are equaly important for this teams future not these games wont determin are faith.

Old
03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
The captain of the most successfull franchise in the history of hockey hasn't scored a goal in what like 18/19 games...

Frankly, the last time I've been remotely impressed with Koivu (Olympics aside..) was when he scored than overtime winner against Florida the first game Kovalev was out with an injury, back in November.

What do you expect the headline to be?

This is Montreal, this is march hockey madness.
The headlines will talk about hockey, and right now It's pretty though to see things with rose-colored glasses..

Let's see, how they react...

BUT PLAY THEM TOGETHER.

Damn it's so obvious, it pissed me off.

Old
03-23-2006, 12:40 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
At this point every game should be a must win game. If we loose tonight than saturdays game well be much more important anyways so why not ''WIN'' tonight. The teams that make the stanley cup are teams that have a win everygame attitude. When bob says these two games wont determin are faith youre not installing a winning attitude. Gainey should off made it clear that all games are equaly important for this teams future not these games wont determin are faith.
It has nothing to do with winning attitude. I have said all week that thses games were not "must win". You can't fool players, they know when it's must win or not or can't trick them into thinking this is their last game of the season. It will make later games more important but it's still not "must win".

He won't come out and say we can't lose until the end of the year because they will lose games. And when we do lose you don't come out and say this is the end we might as well give up because it was a must win, that is not a winning attitude.
All games are equally important that is true. The games in October are as important as today's game. So that's his whole point, this is like a game in October, we want to win but if we don't it's not the end of the road.

Closed Thread