HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Atlanta (Rumour)

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 07:03 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Ok, I've been hearing this a lot lately and in the past, and I'm just wondering if anyone can back this up.

Whenever there's the possibility of an underperforming player coming to Edmonton (what other type of player do we go for...?), everyone talks about how they will "explode" on the fast Edmonton ice and on the attacking Edmonton system. Who exactly has "exploded" or taken their game to the next level since coming to Edmonton??? I can't remember the last person who was struggling elsewhere who came here and lit it up...

Isbister? uh, still waiting
Dvorak? was supposed to unleash his speed in edm... still 0 goals.
Reasoner? has skills, but took a long time to work into the line up and has settled into a two-way role
Hecht? supposed to light it up here... and quickly shown the door.
York? took a while to adjust to playing in edmonton, and is now performing at a similar clip as he did in NYR...
even Dopita... lots of skill and experience, but couldn't fit in Oiler system

I don't know, I guess I'm just cautioning against the familiar claim that underperforming players (like Stefan) will turn their game around as a result of coming to Edmonton. If anything, it looks like Edmonton can be a difficult place to adjust to, given the experiences of last few players to come here...
In all fairness though, Isbister was brought in because he has shown flashes, and the Oilers brass was banking on a change of scenerey would help him. Dvorak has unleashed his speed, but just doesn't have anything to show for it.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:22 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
HORCOFF IS NOT i repeat NOT a 1st liner...you said in your post put york with smyth and hemsky...then didnt do that in your lines?
ya, my lines are incosistent with what I wrote. But Who else do you put up there? MacT likes York on the third line (so do I) because it provides GREAT scoring balance! Horcoff has the potential to step up and be a top six guy - I'm not saying that he'd get ice time on special teams like a first line player, just that on even strength thats who he'd play with (like what Torres was doing).

Old
10-28-2003, 07:26 AM
LawnDemon

... double post ...

Old
10-28-2003, 07:27 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
...Horcoff has the potential to step up and be a top six guy ...
um...no.

not unless you mean a top 6 guy for the roadrunners. and even that is debatable.

with regard to the proposal, the oilers would be very, VERY lucky to land both of those guys for just comrie. very lucky indeed...

Old
10-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Atlanta Jim

Thrashers view

Here's my take on Stefan: A defensive guy who won't score much on the NHL level unless you move him to wing. This year he's gone from 2nd line Center with Kovalchuk to 4th line center and 8 minutes a game. Disappears on the ice too much. I have to really look for his number to find him. Tommi Santala from Finland has shown that he's willing to take some punishment in front of the net so he's taken some ice time away from Stefan. ON the positive side he can skate.....makes nice passes and shoots when playing wing. There are times when you see him take the puck....fly past somebody and make a tape to tape pass. Then you won't see him again for a while. He should be good enough that we can trade Stefan for Comrie straight up....being a overall number 1. It says a lot when he is only PART of a package. If I were the Oilers I'd take Stefan and move him to wing. A lot depends on what other teams are offering.....Stefan, a d-man prospect (not Coburn) our number 1.....is there another team out there willing to give up more for a hold-out guy?

Old
10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
um...no.

not unless you mean a top 6 guy for the roadrunners. and even that is debatable.

with regard to the proposal, the oilers would be very, VERY lucky to land both of those guys for just comrie. very lucky indeed...
Well the OIlers organization disagrees with you. His defensive play hasn't been to good so far this year, but then nobody's has been.

He is however giving up good point production for playing on the fourth line! I mean this guy has been playing with stonehands Laraque for most of the last year and this year, and has still outscored several Oilers - to say that there is no top six potential there is a false statement. There is a difference in your feelings on his current play and what he could be someday. And I think could be a very solid secondline two way center.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Master Lok

I seem to be the only one, but I"ll say it then. Horrible trade!
Comrie, a proven top two line centre for Stefan who has never proven a thing and Coburn a draft pick just this past year? Yech!

Look at the Atlanta lineup, he can't even break onto a team where the forwards are mostly unproven rookies!!! What chance does he have on the Oilers? So what happens if Stefan doesn't pan out and becomes another Horcoff/Marchant 3rd /4th liner. We haven't found ourselves a #1 centre AND we don't have a replacement defender on our blueline, as Coburn probably won't be ready for another 3 years!

If we want Stefan, let's trade somebody lesser to get Stefan and get better proven product for Comrie. How about Rita or Pisani + 2nd pick for Stefan?

Old
10-28-2003, 11:17 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Comrie, a proven top two line centre for Stefan who has never proven a thing and Coburn a draft pick just this past year? Yech!

Look at the Atlanta lineup, he can't even break onto a team where the forwards are mostly unproven rookies!!! What chance does he have on the Oilers? So what happens if Stefan doesn't pan out and becomes another Horcoff/Marchant 3rd /4th liner. We haven't found ourselves a #1 centre AND we don't have a replacement defender on our blueline, as Coburn probably won't be ready for another 3 years!

If we want Stefan, let's trade somebody lesser to get Stefan and get better proven product for Comrie. How about Rita or Pisani + 2nd pick for Stefan?
You make a good point, but what we have to go after isn't really open to getting what you want without breaking us.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Atlanta Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69

IMO opinion Atlanta won't trade a number 8 pick for a hold-out 20 goal scorer. I mean....if we trade Coburn I would expect him to be in a package for a big scoring winger. We've got other prospects and next year's number 1 to trade for Comrie. I'm the first to admit that if I were Edmonton I wouldn't be impressed with Stefan.....and if I couldn't have Coburn or Exelby (which we won't trade) I'd ask for the number 1 and two more prospects. Unless you need a goalie which we could give you ......and we'd pay most of the $$$$. Thrashers have already said they are going to have to pick up $$$ in whatever deal they make.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:50 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well the OIlers organization disagrees with you. His defensive play hasn't been to good so far this year, but then nobody's has been.

He is however giving up good point production for playing on the fourth line! I mean this guy has been playing with stonehands Laraque for most of the last year and this year, and has still outscored several Oilers - to say that there is no top six potential there is a false statement. There is a difference in your feelings on his current play and what he could be someday. And I think could be a very solid secondline two way center.
yeah... that belief has been working wonders for them so far this year. Not to mention all the playoff wins they’ve accumulated believing that second rate talent will emerge and take charge in oiltown. Hell, the oilers also seem to think that cory cross deserves top 2 defense minutes.

obviously, i am only stating my own opinion here (and I’ve known to be wrong in the past) so now i'll ask for yours... do you honestly think that horcoff could (or would ever) get top 6 minutes on any of the elite teams in the NHL? name one of the top 15 payroll teams that would put horcoff anywhere near the 2nd line center spot (rather than on the farm team). being (arguably) a potential top 6 for the oilers does not make for a top 6 NHL player.

even assuming he had that type of potential - when is he going to live up to it? are you suggesting that horcoff has more chance than either pouliot and niinimaki of earning top 2 center honors over the next 5 years?

show me some logic to suggest that horcoff has any chance at all of being a legitimate top 2 center in this league (and specifically for the oilers). i'll also toss in the caveat that 2 good playoff games and a handful of decent games playing overseas don't count.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:56 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jim
IMO opinion Atlanta won't trade a number 8 pick for a hold-out 20 goal scorer.
atlanta is expected to compete for a playoff spot this year, and judging by the way they;re playing now it doesn't look out of reach. more like a 14-16 pick imo

Old
10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Asiaoil

Well this may not be too popular with the Oiler crowd - but I think it's fair and meets both teams needs.

Rita and Comrie for Stefan and Coburn

Rita = Stefan (both high draft picks not meeting expectations but Atlanta needs some help on the wing and we could use a bigger center)

Comrie = Coburn (Comrie is proven and smaller while Coburn is bigger and may have more upside but is unproven).

Maybe throw picks around to even things up but it looks pretty fair to me because we're never going to get a bigger scoring center in return for Comrie - not now not ever. Basically we add Stefan to our current roster without losing anyone because Comrie or Rita are not playing for us right now. Coburn may be able to handle part-time duty next year like Hemsky did last season.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:07 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugu
i think comrie for coburn and stefan would be a fiar trade, but id try like hell to get lehtonen out of there, ive also seen him play live about twenty games last year as i was living in europe due to work, hes awesome

best wishes
jb
ok, i thought we were through with the unrealistic trades. if any team could get him without trading their entire first line to the thrash they would do it

Old
10-28-2003, 01:09 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
atlanta is expected to compete for a playoff spot this year, and judging by the way they;re playing now it doesn't look out of reach. more like a 14-16 pick imo
I think when he said the 8th overall pick he was refering to Coburn.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:12 PM
mrhockey123

Klow had his panties all in a bunch trying to move up at the draft supposedly to nab Phaneuf or Coburn so if there were any chance Lowe could get him now im sure he (lowe) would jump at it.

Either way I hope we resolve this situation soon because a)its a distraction for the players and b)its an excuse for the club to do poorly (IE we would win if comrie was in the lineup yadda yadda yadda)

Old
10-28-2003, 02:20 PM
trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Comrie

for

Stefan, Coburn.

Oh man, I would love this deal for the Oilers. IMO the Oilers win this deal today and the future. Having said that I think the Oilers would have to give up more to get these two guys from Atlanta.

I still think that if Stefan was given the chance in Edmonton he would "finally" have a breakout year.
Just like Mats Lindgren, Chad Kilger, Dan Cleary, Isbister, Dopita and probably a bunch of others I can't think of did?

The Oilers have a BAD habit of picking up reclamation projects and trying to make them work. In most cases, it does not work out.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Shizuka

I don't understand all of this talk...

... Atlanta, for the moment, has no need or reason to trade. They are tops in the East, they have a season long motivating factor (dedicated the season to Dan Snyder) and frankly, from a player perspective, I cannot imagine a Thrasher wanting to leave that and come play for us here. Why shake up their team chemistry like that? Secondly, Lowe has already said he wants to trade for an immediate impact player (i.e. top 6 forward, top 2/3 D-man) and Coburn / Stefan does not address that. Stefan is still a project, at best, because he has not put up anywhere near the numbers expected.

Lowe is doing the right thing in waiting, seeing what shakes out in the early part of the season. There is a dearth of willingness on the GM side to trade away said top 6 forward or top two D, naturally. In Comrie, you receive a proven commodity. Atlanta as a destination does not make sense to me, considering how well things are going at the moment and other extenuating circumstances surrounding that particular team. Maybe it comes from reluctance on receiving just Stefan in return, but then again I've not seen him play enough to warrant any kind of reasonable doubt in regards to his potential. Coburn is not going to step in and make any immediate impact however, so in the end you are looking at just Stefan as the returning player. If the Oilers were playing well, then I could see Lowe looking at top end prospects in return. I expect Lowe will wait to see if the guys turn it around first, and then deal from a much stronger position.

Thanks for posting the rumour though! Always interesting reading.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Comrie for Stefan, and Coburn.... Deal him. Get the bum outta here, and lets get some guys in here with a good attitude, and get this distracted Oiler team focused back on the ice, where it should be.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:55 AM
Atlanta Jim

Atlanta

[QUOTE=Shizuka]... Atlanta, for the moment, has no need or reason to trade. They are tops in the East, they have a season long motivating factor (dedicated the season to Dan Snyder) and frankly, from a player perspective, I cannot imagine a Thrasher wanting to leave that and come play for us here. Why shake up their team chemistry like that?

Hartley has kept the same three players inactive the entire year, except for Lessard in the last game so I you are right about making any trades quickly. RIght now they moved Randy Robaitaille (spelling) into the 2nd line Center spot and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Comrie would look better in that spot. But I think Coburn is staying. Trading Stefan and Coburn for Comrie is like trading two number one draft choices for Comrie. Could happen but we're not desperate for offense just yet. Comrie and Kovy together would be fun to watch. At least we wouldn't have to watch them fight.....that was ugly.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:47 AM
Mr Sakich

I think an even uglier fight would be between the hair puller and jagr.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Comrie for Stefan, and Coburn.... Deal him. Get the bum outta here, and lets get some guys in here with a good attitude, and get this distracted Oiler team focused back on the ice, where it should be.
The Oilers make out like bandits here.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:57 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I think if Atlanta is smart, they wait until their emotional high starts to die out and they start losing more and more games (obviously that time comes). Don Waddel could have a deal in place that as soon as that happens he trades for a guy like Comrie to give the team a BIG boost and to try to quickly regain their form and get back to their winning ways. Thats what I think I'd do atleast.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Well this may not be too popular with the Oiler crowd - but I think it's fair and meets both teams needs.

Rita and Comrie for Stefan and Coburn

Rita = Stefan (both high draft picks not meeting expectations but Atlanta needs some help on the wing and we could use a bigger center)

Comrie = Coburn (Comrie is proven and smaller while Coburn is bigger and may have more upside but is unproven).

Maybe throw picks around to even things up but it looks pretty fair to me because we're never going to get a bigger scoring center in return for Comrie - not now not ever. Basically we add Stefan to our current roster without losing anyone because Comrie or Rita are not playing for us right now. Coburn may be able to handle part-time duty next year like Hemsky did last season.
I thought of this trade last night, but figured that someone for sure must have already posted it.

Closed Thread