HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Orr: What to do with him

View Poll Results: What would you do about Orr?
Play him occasionally, as he has been. 31 42.47%
Scratch him every game. Only use in Extreme Emergency 25 34.25%
Waive him, clear a roster spot. 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Orr: What to do with him

In light of the recent debacle with the Flyers, I felt I would gauge everyone's opinions on this sore sensitive subject: Orr What do you guys think??

Old
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
He sits for the rest of the season, then he goes to whoever straightened out Jason Ward's skating, and we'll see in the fall.

03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He sits for the rest of the season, then he goes to whoever straightened out Jason Ward's skating, and we'll see in the fall.
Do you think he would improve to the point of being an energy player?? A Hollweg with better fighting abilitities??? Because I think he has zero talent as of now.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
polako

what sbob said

Old
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
Do you think he would improve to the point of being an energy player?? A Hollweg with better fighting abilitities??? Because I think he has zero talent as of now.

well the rangers brass obviously disagree with you! now i wasn't in favor of putting him the game last night because its about getting the points instead of worrying about huggie bear! orts should have played just looking at the amount of pp goals scored! but renny thought differently, oh well we got to go out and take two in florida, play the team that got you there at this point. he should have played in the earlier games and we would not be discussing the subject, but he is on the team as of now! whether he stays or not will be decided in off season!

Old
03-23-2006, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

A larger, bigger energy guy is his upside, IMO. Renney has said that he believes Orr can be a Brashear type guy but I don't see Orr having Brashear's offensive ability (which says a lot). But it all starts with his skating.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Right, but even if he does improve his skating, I just don't see a spot on this team for Orr in the future. Next year we will have players such as Immo and maybe Dawes make the jump to the NHL, and where will Orr fit in then? Nowhere

Old
03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
ivrydov

This poll is pure b.s.

Renney has been playing 11 forwards and one apprentice most of the season. The question is whether it's Orr or Hossa, who contributes nothing. In that choice I take Orr.

In the game in question Hollweg, Ozolinsh, the defence who didn't clear the net, were the goats.

Orr needs playing time to gain experience and if you keep wasting it on Hossa he's not going to get it. There have been games when on a few shifts he's led the team in hits.

I think Sather made a very shrewd move in picking him up from Boston who just wanted to send him to the minors for seasoning.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivrydov
This poll is pure b.s.

Renney has been playing 11 forwards and one apprentice most of the season. The question is whether it's Orr or Hossa, who contributes nothing. In that choice I take Orr.

In the game in question Hollweg, Ozolinsh, the defence who didn't clear the net, were the goats.

Orr needs playing time to gain experience and if you keep wasting it on Hossa he's not going to get it. There have been games when on a few shifts he's led the team in hits.

I think Sather made a very shrewd move in picking him up from Boston who just wanted to send him to the minors for seasoning.

Sather got him because at the time he was fighting every game and kicking everyone's ***. He has what 1 fight as a Ranger? Useless. Send him to Hartford or something. I don't care.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-NYR-9968
He has what 1 fight as a Ranger? Useless. Send him to Hartford or something. I don't care.
I'm not as pro-fighting as some people, but Orr needs to get into a fight when it's 4-2 last night. Get the crowd back in the game and let his team see some effort. And he did nothing.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
I'm not as pro-fighting as some people, but Orr needs to get into a fight when it's 4-2 last night. Get the crowd back in the game and let his team see some effort. And he did nothing.
Exactly.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102
Right, but even if he does improve his skating, I just don't see a spot on this team for Orr in the future. Next year we will have players such as Immo and maybe Dawes make the jump to the NHL, and where will Orr fit in then? Nowhere

Yes and no. It all starts with skating. The difference between Ward this year and previous years is his skating. He's faster and more powerful and that lets him get to loose pucks, be in position and hit people.

If Orr can skate, he can a serviceable player because he seems to have the willingness to hit.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Yes and no. It all starts with skating. The difference between Ward this year and previous years is his skating. He's faster and more powerful and that lets him get to loose pucks, be in position and hit people.

If Orr can skate, he can a serviceable player because he seems to have the willingness to hit.
I disagree. Even if Orr does work on his skating all he will bring to us is perhaps decent skating. I am not discounting him entirely, but even if he does improve his skating i would have a hard time putting him into next year's lineup. We really dont need him in the lineup as an mediocore skater and a great fighter.

I do agree with you however that last night when the score was 4-2 I really wanted Orr to get into a fight to wake everyone up. Sadly that did not happen.

Old
03-23-2006, 03:50 PM
DarthSather99

Hey, why can't I vote in this poll? Is it "selective" voting?

Old
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
eco's bones

If he's going to develop the place for him to develop is the minors. The AHL is a development league--that's where he needs to show that he deserves to be in the NHL--like any number of much better players are doing now.

Old
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I'm getting tired of Orr. Does not bring anything to the table and when he plays we cannot roll 4 lines. Maybe he if he had a hint of skill i'd say put him in sometimes.

Old
03-23-2006, 04:32 PM
ivrydov

No Orr shouldn't have started trouble with the score 4-2. He doesn't have the experience of a Barnaby or Simon. He does what the coach says and Renney is not like that. Whether he should be is another question.

When Godard hassled Rucinsky he was sent out to put Godard in his place.

He dragged Brashear into the penalty box with an instigator penalty.

After Boulton bumped around like a bowling ball, he was dressed to tampen him down in the return match.

This is all the mark of a good disciplined player. Does what the coach expects.

The last game with the Devils he wasn't there, Janssen ran wild all night and injured Malik. If the Devils are not up tight and out of sight the next time they play, I expect to see Orr there never mind what your phoney survey shows.

Old
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
No Orr shouldn't have started trouble with the score 4-2. He doesn't have the experience of a Barnaby or Simon. He does what the coach says and Renney is not like that. Whether he should be is another question.

After Boulton bumped around like a bowling ball, he was dressed to tampen him down in the return match.

The last game with the Devils he wasn't there, Janssen ran wild all night and injured Malik. If the Devils are not up tight and out of sight the next time they play, I expect to see Orr there never mind what your phoney survey shows.
True, It doesn't matter what the survey says....when Orr dresses, we are automatically a forward down...ANd last night we were down two.....Even down another forward last night, he only gets 4 minutes and Renney has no faith to use him..Why? because he's viewed as a liability.....When he's been dressed, he's done no protecting (ask Prucha), little intiating, no deterring and little fighting (1 and 1 so far), but he does create revisionist history....IMO, A total waste of space not needed by this year's team..Next year might be another story..

Old
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:

Why is this a "phony survey" I was merely trying to get everyone's feelings, I didn't call up Renney and ask him what he was thinking, calm down dude. Who is to say Orr's presence does all that much? There have been many games where teams have not tried to run our players even when Orr was out.

So basically you're in favor of having three lines and one guy thats goes out for 3 minutes to tell the other team "You better not do that" than have four lines, all of which for the most part do their jobs? ....difference of opinions I guess. And call the poll whatever you want, if you dont like it, dont vote, even if you do have an opinion on the topic.

Old
03-23-2006, 05:12 PM
shoothepuck

He's an AHL player, who can't skate, has limited hockey skills an is one dimentional(fighting). Last night he didn't put that to use. In the game he didn't do much, had a good hit or two and that was it. Because he was in the lineup, NY didn't run 4 lines effectively, a pk expert was in the pressbox, and you try to play at the level of the Flyers, instead of playing NY's game. He brings nothing to this team with the hockey skill he has, this is the NHL, not AHL or Ultimate Fighter, and March is not the time to experiment with fledgling hockey players. Renney should be fine tuning his playoff roster, winning needed points, and getting his team back on track, not playing Colton Orr.

Old
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
pld459666

Not going to answer this

because playing him everyday was not provided as an option.

Orr is a player that has a place on this team as much as Brashear and Hordichuk and Laraque have on their teams.

He's been a solid player and he's not taken any boneheaded penalties and the fact that we are as soft as baby poo is reason enough to warrant a spot in the line up.

Old
03-24-2006, 12:03 AM
ivrydov

Quote:
Why is this a "phony survey" I was merely trying to get everyone's feelings
It's a phoney survey because you don't include the option, "play every game." What you really want is a claque to say amen to your opinion.

The Rangers don't play in a vacuum. Every team they might meet in the east is going to try to bang the hell out of them. You've got to try to reduce the effectiveness of that option. When Janssen came out last night against the Thrashers, Hartley put out Boulton. He's not going to bother anyone else.

Orr as an apprentice is not an ideal solution. But they didn't trade for anyone else and they've been using non-ideal solutions at several positions and so far it has worked. Even Garth Murray may have been better, he's certainly pitching in at Montreal. But they gave him away for nothing.

The more Orr plays, the better prepared he is going to be.

The Rangers today have a winning attitude. But this obviously hasn't trickled down down to many in the peanut gallery. If you just like watching guys skating around in circles going nowhere, try figure skating.

Old
03-24-2006, 12:19 AM
DutchShamrock

Ok, I'll take Hossa over Orr because at least Hossa can play 8 or more minutes. Orr will kill you if he gets more than 4 a night. McGratton plays 4:15 a night. We don't have Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson and Havlat to make up for it. And if Orr is only useful when he fights, but Renney doesn't send him out to fight, then why dress him. If it isn't Renney's game to send guys out for that express reason then you don't dress a guy that can't skate, play 8 min., and be effective. The NHL will be loads better when there is no longer a place for guys like Brashear. I'll take a Simon or Barnaby who contributes and fights but not voids like that guy.

Old
03-24-2006, 12:24 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
It's a phoney survey because you don't include the option, "play every game." What you really want is a claque to say amen to your opinion.

The Rangers don't play in a vacuum. Every team they might meet in the east is going to try to bang the hell out of them. You've got to try to reduce the effectiveness of that option. When Janssen came out last night against the Thrashers, Hartley put out Boulton. He's not going to bother anyone else.

Orr as an apprentice is not an ideal solution. But they didn't trade for anyone else and they've been using non-ideal solutions at several positions and so far it has worked. Even Garth Murray may have been better, he's certainly pitching in at Montreal. But they gave him away for nothing.

The more Orr plays, the better prepared he is going to be.

The Rangers today have a winning attitude. But this obviously hasn't trickled down down to many in the peanut gallery. If you just like watching guys skating around in circles going nowhere, try figure skating.
And if you like watching guys fight each other then try Boxing. You simplfy the other side waaaay too much. I'll watch guys skating around in circles making Forsberg break his ankle with a ridiculous move than score a no-look wrister.

It looked to me like we were doing fine when the rest of the East was throwing their Jansens and Brashears at us while we tore them a new one with our speed and skill. The point is winning games, not fights. Some times fighting helps you accomplish the win, but not this team.

Old
03-24-2006, 01:27 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Whatever dude, I didn't put that as an option because obviously he isn't going to be played every day because he is not that good of a player. Bottom line. What kind of hockey has gotten this team into the postion that is in right now???? Answer: European style hockey. That means shying away from the physical and "skating circles" and going East/West while using finesse etc etc. If you think playing physical just because we're facing the huggy bear will do us good, maybe you should watch some other team, or Boxing, or whatever. Get real dude. I dont care if people agree with me or not. I was hoping there was different opinions so this thread would be populated with posts, or else I wouldn't have posted in the first place. Feel free to ignore the poll, I wont mind

Closed Thread