HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lack of respect?

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Lack of respect?

Correct me if I am wrong but 2009 is the 100th anniversary of the Habs. As such the team is trying to get the draft, world juniors and of course be ready for a run for the Cup. Now Melnyk in Ottawa is vying for the draft and the world juniors? Come on man try for 2008 or 2010 leave this one to Montreal.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=159794

From the article

Melnyk said his focus is to bring a Stanley Cup to Ottawa. He is also working on leading Ottawa's bid to host the 2009 world junior hockey championship, the NHL entry draft and the NHL awards television show.

Old
03-23-2006, 05:32 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
Correct me if I am wrong but 2009 is the 100th anniversary of the Habs. As such the team is trying to get the draft, world juniors and of course be ready for a run for the Cup. Now Melnyk in Ottawa is vying for the draft and the world juniors? Come on man try for 2008 or 2010 leave this one to Montreal.

From the article

Melnyk said his focus is to bring a Stanley Cup to Ottawa. He is also working on leading Ottawa's bid to host the 2009 world junior hockey championship, the NHL entry draft and the NHL awards television show.

If there's anything I'd like for Montreal to host in 2009, it would be the draft and the all-star game. I'm not exactly sure how hosting the 2009 world junior hockey championship has anything to do with the 100 year celebration for the Montreal Habs team so unless someone gives me a reason why this matters, I just don't care where it'll be hosted and would prefer Ottawa since I live there.

Old
03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

The reasoning is that they want to have a huge hockey celebration all winter and the world juniors would fit into that.

Old
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I was also surprised when i saw this , i trough the Habs already had this done .

Old
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

If you make an exception for Montreal, next thing you know they'll be expecting it every 100 years.

Old
03-23-2006, 05:51 PM
MissCanuck

How awful would that be!

Old
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf

From the article

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a great way for Montreal and its fans to celebrate their own anniversary, but the world doesn't stop because it's "their" anniversary. Ottawa has a right to pursue the draft and WJs.

Old
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a great way for Montreal and its fans to celebrate their own anniversary, but the world doesn't stop because it's "their" anniversary. Ottawa has a right to pursue the draft and WJs.
Yeah sure, they have the right to do it, but there's plenty of year to choose...why 2009?

Old
03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
MissCanuck

100th anniversary only comes once. But yeah, we're just being greedy.

Old
03-23-2006, 10:18 PM
deandebean

The World Juniors is weird for Montreal. But the draft AND the all star game should be in Montreal, no doubt.

Melnyck is the new kind of brash businessmen who made millions out of INternet. He's like a canadian Mark Cuban. He talks a lot.

Old
03-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Melnyck is the new kind of brash businessmen who made millions out of INternet. He's like a canadian Mark Cuban. He talks a lot.
But his junior team sure sucks goats.

Old
03-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
The World Juniors is weird for Montreal. But the draft AND the all star game should be in Montreal, no doubt.

First off....Melnyk did not make millions of the internet like Cuban, he's made Billions....second of all, it's not the Internet...he owns the Pharmaceutical giant Biovail.

Just thought I would clarify that.

Old
03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire66
First off....Melnyk did not make millions of the internet like Cuban, he's made Billions....second of all, it's not the Internet...he owns the Pharmaceutical giant Biovail.

Just thought I would clarify that.
And he skips out on Canadian taxes by living most of the year in the Bahamas or Barbados.

Old
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
They definately have a right to pursue it. They also have a right to lose out to Montreal in the pursuit, because I don't think they can match the bid put out by Montreal on the habs centennial.

As for why they'd bother to try to get it, as many have asked, it's probably a bit like why Toronto keeps trying for the summer Olympics. If you miss out a couple times in a row, the next time you're more likely to get it.

Closed Thread